Do I need line conditioning for my amp? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-31-2007, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

My latest conundrum is what kind of line conditioning apparatus to get. I'm trying to find the sweet spot between price, features, and performance and it's tough.

At any rate, here's me scenario. I have the following gear:

Rotel RMB 1075 amp -800 watts
Outlaw 970 pre/pro -?
Optoma HD72 pj -285 watts
Oppo 971 DVD -?
Xbox (pre 360) -?
H20 Satellite box -30 watts

I live in a suburb of Atlanta and spring thunder storms can be serious here. Last year, I lost 2 sat boxes when the house took a direct lightening strike (not fun). I also upgraded my HVAC last year and the new unit causes the lights to flicker as it cycles on and off. So, I know I have power/surge issues to deal with.

I would like to connect everything to the line conditioner but I'm wondering if I should consider UPS as well. Based on the datasheets for my gear; I will need a unit that can support at least 1100 watts. It's probably more (the amp requires 800 watts alone) because I couldn't find power requirements for the DVD or the Xbox and I estimated the sat box.

The ultimate unit would have surge/voltage regulation/UPS but it would also cost an arm and a leg (of which I only have 1 set remaining because I used the other set on the HT gear). I'm seriously considering the PureAV UPS unit. It does everything I want but it only supports 640 watts. I could connect everything to it EXCEPT the amp. I thought I read somewhere that most amps have surge protection built in (sorry if that's a stupid statement). Is that true? Do I need to get a LC that can support my amp as well or can I plug it directly into the wall?

Sorry for the long post. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-31-2007, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

A decent surge protector (perhaps with isolation transformers) should suffice. Line conditioner might be an expensive option for your basic surge protection need.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-31-2007, 09:51 AM

Just a quick note to point out that your wattage specs are peak. The likelihood of your amp ever drawing 800 watts and you maintaining your hearing are slim.

There are many opinions here about whether you need any of this or whether whole house surge isn't the better option.

I do use surge products and have recently upgraded (once again) to a unit that I think will be it for me. I have the APC J15 unit w/ ups and am happy with it. It doesn't have the battery time or expandable battery capabilities of the S15 but it also doesn't have the price.
I also have the PureAV ups unit but its connections were a bit to limited so it always was used with a AV60 as well. This combo was moved to my den (2nd system).

My issue is really that we seem to have almost dialy power drop outs that last less than a minute. I just got tired of resetting clocks and was concerned about the sudden cycling of standby to power off to standby/on all the time, this deals with that. It also preserves cable box info and programs. The biggest issue for me was actually the RPTV being immune to these power cycles.

The J15 will use battery power when the voltage drops, ie HVAC on off situation., to keep things even. Although you will find that amps and AV equipment can generally handle power flucations quite well. When reading the specs of my Anthem amps, it specifially says that it doesn't need regulation as the internal power supply can handle voltage variation.

Derek N
post #4 of 6 Old 01-31-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Derek.

Good point about the number being at "peak".

I looked at the H15 but it does not have the UPS but it did have the "high current" plug for my amp. I will check out the J15.

John
post #5 of 6 Old 01-31-2007, 03:04 PM

Without getting into specifics, I will say that I work at a Public Utility and I track reliability. It sounds to me like you've got poor reliability/power quality issues. I would invest in a surge protector regardless of past reliability, and due to your situation, a UPS also.

Call your Power Company and ask for an RVM (remote volt meter) to be set. They will be able to monitor voltage and may determine that your transformer need upgrade, your secondary cable/conductors need upgrade, or any of this various equipment is bad and needs changeout. Otherwise, you may need to hire an electrician to inspect your houses internal wiring on your side of the breaker.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Monster Jam.

I really do need to have some one come out and look into the power fluctuations. They really got bad when I upgraded my HVAC.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page