Parasound P7? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 158 Old 02-01-2007, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
 
J.H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't get it what is this preamp from Parasound coming out? It doesn't do DD/DTS decoding but it still is a 7.1 preamp? The DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray player does the decoding? Does it have HDMI inputs or what? Its an interesting concept whatever it is. J.H.
J.H. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 158 Old 02-01-2007, 04:37 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
Axatax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: S. Florida, USA
Posts: 1,617
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's an analog preamp for multichannel sources (ie. SACD/DVDA).
Axatax is offline  
post #3 of 158 Old 02-01-2007, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
 
J.H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axatax View Post

It's an analog preamp for multichannel sources (ie. SACD/DVDA).

Thanks it looks pretty awesome but all the Halo stuff looks incredible. On the new products page at Parasound.com theres also a JC2 amp that looks absolutely incredible! Parasound really does not play games when designing amps of coarse ot helps when John Curl is designing them right. J.H.
J.H. is offline  
post #4 of 158 Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Newbie
 
jsnicholas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did this ever make it to market? I can not find one anywhere. Does anyone else have an equivalent product?
jsnicholas is offline  
post #5 of 158 Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
DekPM19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pooler, Ga
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know if it every came out but I bet Parasound new surround pre/pro will have some kind of HT bypass that works with the 2 channel pre/amp.
Allen
DekPM19 is offline  
post #6 of 158 Old 04-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Newbie
 
jsnicholas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking for the multiple sets of multi channel analog inputs. I think the pre/pro have only 1 set.
jsnicholas is offline  
post #7 of 158 Old 04-17-2008, 09:49 AM
 
AVSRichard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last I heard it was going to be around $2000 retail. It's still being worked on to solve one glitch but once done it'll be out.

Richard
AVSRichard is offline  
post #8 of 158 Old 09-18-2008, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gaderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnicholas View Post

I was looking for the multiple sets of multi channel analog inputs. I think the pre/pro have only 1 set.

Was poking around the Parasound site and saw this (looking for 2-channel pres with HT bypass) and found it interesting, they have photos and even the manual (with some pages not fully done). From the photos you can see that it has two multichannel inputs 7.1, which unfortunately are the only once that can be used as HT bypass inputs--I'd rather go with the balanced for long runs to space out my audio from my video. But, certainly an interesting concept, and 7.1 balanced outs are a nice touch. And since it can be integrated with the Z model HDMI switcher it would make an intriguing multi/stereo preamp.

erik g
gaderson is offline  
post #9 of 158 Old 10-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Chris Dotur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Greater Alaska
Posts: 379
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Yes, the P7 is now shipping!
Chris Dotur is offline  
post #10 of 158 Old 11-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Member
 
vmpswrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NE
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Parasound P7 is here, in my living room!

Bottom line: if you are an audio-first person, mostly listen to 2 channel, and listen to multi-channel music more often than movies, this P7 is worth considering as an audiophile's alternative to a receiver or pre/pro.

Background: The P7 is straight analogue. It has no decoding abilities or HDMI connectivity (unless matched with an optional video HDMI switcher).

This is an excellent all analogue two channel/multichannel rig. If you don't need Video switching and don't need decoding abilities, this promises more revealing music reproduction than most similarly priced pre/pros out there.

If you have great source components for 2 channel and also a great DVD player for movies and multichannel music that outputs high quality audio, this is an excellent alternative to a receiver or pre/pro, because it's audio is cleaner and more detailed than that of an AVR, from what I can hear.

Some will wonder what to do with a unit that doesn't do the decoding. However, new players (like the new Panasonic BD55, as well as a Marrantz's BD8002 player, output all seven channels of movies, music, blueray, DTS-maseter, etc, via analogue outputs. More universal players (Oppo has one in the works) will be coming out that handle CD, SD DVD, blueray, DTS-MASTER, etc, and output via analogue. IF the output from the source/player is high quality, the opportunity is there for much cleaner audiophile listening. The P7 avoids the millions of miles of wire found in recievers and pre/pros, and instead focuses resources on high quality analogue circuits.

The proof is in the pudding and I would encourage those interested to see for themselves. (Audio Advisor for example, allows one month of trial testing -but any dealer in higher end stuff should allow a similar testing period and return). I hear a lot more details in the music and more realism through the P7 than through my AVR (which is a very good one) even though my source/player is not top notch in terms of analogue output.

What do you give up by going this route?

-easier connectivity via HDMI instead of several RCA connections
-Audyssey or similar EQ system
-money - for this to meet it's potential for multichannel music, you need to buy a very good universal player.
-give up various play modes that receivers and pre/pros have.
-most AVR's have more accurate trim level settings, delay/distance settings, and sub control settings than source players, so a little more fine tuning of those dynamics is possible in AVR's than this kind of set up.

You get:

-clearer, crisper, more detailed, more palpable, "you are there" sound
-nice simple interface and less stuff you don't need
-attractive uncluttering unit
-phono linestage
-a really nice 2 channel preamp along with the multichannel abilties
-bass management for 2 channel
-very intelligent and simple layout and controls.

PS: If you have a decent receiver or AVR already, you can use that for movies, and the P7 for 2 channel and/or for mulitchannel music, all easily integrated in the same system.

Hope this is an interesting perspective. Look for a review os this unit sometime soon in the mags too.

Pedro

I'm vmpswrx, and I've approved of this message...
vmpswrx is offline  
post #11 of 158 Old 11-04-2008, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,388
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Review in January Stereophile.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #12 of 158 Old 11-05-2008, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsmith901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 8,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Those who missed out on the Bel Canto Pre6 will probably be interested in this one. I am curious to see how Kal compares it to the Pre6, which was pretty much SOTA to my ears.

I just found this detailed overview at Audioholics that may be of interest:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/p...asound-halo-p7

"The truth is out there!"
dsmith901 is offline  
post #13 of 158 Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Member
 
Joaquin Mejia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pedro,

Do you know about the innards of the P7? Does it use discrete components or ICs? Opamps?

I am very tempted for it, but I don´t think I´ll ever use its Balanced outputs, and I find Parasound´s Halo line is very much like the Classic line with nicer cases and Balanced outputs. But there´s no "Classic" P7 though...

Thanks,

Joaquin (are you in Spain, btw?)
Joaquin Mejia is offline  
post #14 of 158 Old 11-05-2008, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Review in January Stereophile.

Looking forward to that...
adidino is online now  
post #15 of 158 Old 11-05-2008, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

Those who missed out on the Bel Canto Pre6 will probably be interested in this one. I am curious to see how Kal compares it to the Pre6, which was pretty much SOTA to my ears.

I just found this detailed overview at Audioholics that may be of interest:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/p...asound-halo-p7

I read this. Pretty useless review if you ask me. Unit was bashed for it's lack of features and connectivity compared to an HDMI equiped Prepro/receiver. Review it for what it is. A pure analog multichannel preamp.
adidino is online now  
post #16 of 158 Old 11-18-2008, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
Mr. Brownstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 719
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I read this. Pretty useless review if you ask me. Unit was bashed for it's lack of features and connectivity compared to an HDMI equiped Prepro/receiver. Review it for what it is. A pure analog multichannel preamp.

I generally like Audioholics, but how dumb was that review? We already know that the P7 lacks decoding and switching -- that's the whole point! I'd think Parasound is targeting customers (kinda-sorta) like me who ...

1. Emphasize higher-end two-channel audio.

2. Have a secondary need for home theater.

3. Don't find it practical to run separate audio and home-theater rigs.

4. Have a good-quality digital source that will decode all the desired formats.

5. Don't see the need to duplicate decoding and bass management in the preamp.

6. Don't mind switching video separately.

That may seem like a long list, but it makes perfect sense.

The point about needing "old fashioned" analog connections is well taken, but, again, the P7 appears to target cutomers who want analog signal paths. The review might have served us better by focusing on whether the P7's all-analog design delivers sonic benefits, especially for those of us who mostly play stereo music through a home-theater system.

My biggest gripe about the Halo line is that it doesn't come in black.
Mr. Brownstone is offline  
post #17 of 158 Old 11-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Member
 
Alembicjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had the Parasound C1 pre/pro in my multichannel system for five years now. I use it for watching DVD's (remember them?) and for listening to multichannel SACD's. The Parasound P7 intrigues me as a potentially superior preamp to the C1 for multichannel SACD's because it is a "pure analog" preamp, although with a net weight of only 13.5 lbs., I'm wondering just how beefy the analog guts of this thing could be.

Of course, how the preamp sounds should be of paramount importance since we all know that just because something is heavy, that doesn't necessarily equate to good sound.

I'm thrilled that Kal's review of this product will be out in the January issue of Stereophile. I for one would like to know how it compares to other preamps of this type, such as the (albeit much more expensive) Audio Research MP1, the McCormack, the Bel Canto etc...

Perhaps Kal is able to answer this question now: Do you know what Parasound's official position is as to whether they believe that the P7's multichannel inputs are sonically superior to the C1's multichannel inputs?

Jeff.
Alembicjeff is offline  
post #18 of 158 Old 11-20-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,388
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alembicjeff View Post

Perhaps Kal is able to answer this question now: Do you know what Parasound's official position is as to whether they believe that the P7's multichannel inputs are sonically superior to the C1's multichannel inputs?

Jeff.

Dunno. Ask them.

Added in edit: I have never heard or used a C1.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #19 of 158 Old 11-20-2008, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WestCoastD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,349
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Review it for what it is. A pure analog multichannel preamp.

exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone View Post

The review might have served us better by focusing on whether the P7's all-analog design delivers sonic benefits, especially for those of us who mostly play stereo music through a home-theater system

exactly. I have a sort of "hybrid" home-theater set-up myself incorproating an NAD T175 surround pre-pro, Parasound A51 amp (250W X 5), and multiple high-end media players (Denon DVD-3930CI, Denon DVD-3800BDCI, Pioneer BDP-05FD). I own a very large CD, SACD, DVD-A collection. Also own a significant quantity of SD-DVD's and BD titles. So I really value having optimized 2ch and 5.1ch analog audio capability. Also like the beauty and convenience of HDMI, especially for movies.
WestCoastD is offline  
post #20 of 158 Old 12-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Newbie
 
dainapoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea, I'm a 2 channel audiophile, but a confessed video idiot. However, I've been on the lookout for something that would bridge that gap. I have no AVR or Pre/Pro of any kind yet and, due to space limitations, need to incorporate my 2 channel system into any new multi-channel gear I purchase.

I'm unwilling to give up hi quality 2 channel audio. Furthermore, my current preamp does not include HT pass through, so I've recognized that I would most likely have to change my 2 channel preamp to one that has pass through to achieve this. I just received the January issue of Stereophile, and read Mr. Rubinson's review of the P7, which is the first I've heard of it. I then went to Parasound's website and read through the owner's manual. I certainly see how I could incorporate it with an AVR or Pre/Pro and am quite hopeful about its 2 channel sound capability. I also already own a phono preamp, but would welcome simplifying if its own phono pre is up to it. I also own a DAC (Benchmark) that currently accepts input from my music servers and CD Player.

So, as you can see, I'm essentially a clean slate, video-wise. 2009 is my self-proclaimed year of finally getting into Home Theatre. So, I've got a Flat Panel to purchase, as well as all the HT electronics/speakers and a new universal player to buy as well (I'm keeping my eye on the upcoming Oppo Blu-Ray). I'm more forgiving of HT sound, so would probably be happy with a decent AVR, with pass through to the P7, but I have seen some talk of using the P7 alone with a Universal player's audio output and then just doing the video separately, perhaps with Parasound's HDMI switcher? Sorry, for the long lead up, but this is where it all goes a little fuzzy for me - is this possible? - to let my source component do all the video processing, if you will? - Assuming that I could find a good Universal Player with analog outputs? Would I then simply need to add a 5 channel (or maybe even 3 channel) amp and speakers to complete the set up? Or do I still need an AVR or Pre/Pro/Multi Channel amp? And would I be able to hook up the video signal separately directly to my new flat panel? And, in that case, what would I need the HDMI switcher for? Oh, and what about the video signal coming from my cable box? How does that integrate into the new flat panel? My current TV system is so old I'm still using one of those RF adapters that takes my cable box's video input, CD/DVD's video input and (yes even) my old VCR's video input, and then switches it to what is on and sends it out to my old TV via coax. Yea, I'm a video idiot! But any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
dainapoo is offline  
post #21 of 158 Old 12-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Member
 
Alembicjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Kal,

I commend you on your informative review of the Parasound P7 in the January issue of Stereophile. I was frankly pleased to read that a $2000., multi-channel, analog only preamp would earn such high praise from you regarding its sonic merits. Can you elaborate more on your impressions regarding the sonic differences between the P7 and the Audio Research MP1? Thanks Kal for a great review.

Jeff.
Alembicjeff is offline  
post #22 of 158 Old 12-22-2008, 07:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 28,388
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alembicjeff View Post

Kal,

I commend you on your informative review of the Parasound P7 in the January issue of Stereophile. I was frankly pleased to read that a $2000., multi-channel, analog only preamp would earn such high praise from you regarding its sonic merits. Can you elaborate more on your impressions regarding the sonic differences between the P7 and the Audio Research MP1? Thanks Kal for a great review.

Jeff.

Actually, since the MP1 has been gone from my system for such a long time, it is hard to be more specific and all I can do is rely, as I did, on general impressions.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #23 of 158 Old 12-22-2008, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
moonhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Madera, New Mexico
Posts: 3,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm very interested in this unit as well--wish my January issue of Stereophile would arrive so I could read Kal's review.

I have the Denon 5910 which does superb analog audio out and has it's own setup and bass management, and I plan to replace it with the upcoming A1UHD, which will add Blu-ray (finally!) to my mix, plus 2 ch balanced outs.

This will work nicely in my system, except that I would have no way to connect my Dish VIP722. I guess I can keep my Arcam for that and video switching, and the AM/FM tuner.

My

______________________

__________

Dave

moonhawk is offline  
post #24 of 158 Old 12-22-2008, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
moonhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Madera, New Mexico
Posts: 3,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmpswrx View Post

The Parasound P7 is here, in my living room!

Bottom line: if you are an audio-first person, mostly listen to 2 channel, and listen to multi-channel music more often than movies, this P7 is worth considering as an audiophile's alternative to a receiver or pre/pro.

Background: The P7 is straight analogue. It has no decoding abilities or HDMI connectivity (unless matched with an optional video HDMI switcher).

This is an excellent all analogue two channel/multichannel rig. If you don't need Video switching and don't need decoding abilities, this promises more revealing music reproduction than most similarly priced pre/pros out there.

If you have great source components for 2 channel and also a great DVD player for movies and multichannel music that outputs high quality audio, this is an excellent alternative to a receiver or pre/pro, because it's audio is cleaner and more detailed than that of an AVR, from what I can hear.

Some will wonder what to do with a unit that doesn't do the decoding. However, new players (like the new Panasonic BD55, as well as a Marrantz's BD8002 player, output all seven channels of movies, music, blueray, DTS-maseter, etc, via analogue outputs. More universal players (Oppo has one in the works) will be coming out that handle CD, SD DVD, blueray, DTS-MASTER, etc, and output via analogue. IF the output from the source/player is high quality, the opportunity is there for much cleaner audiophile listening. The P7 avoids the millions of miles of wire found in recievers and pre/pros, and instead focuses resources on high quality analogue circuits.

The proof is in the pudding and I would encourage those interested to see for themselves. (Audio Advisor for example, allows one month of trial testing -but any dealer in higher end stuff should allow a similar testing period and return). I hear a lot more details in the music and more realism through the P7 than through my AVR (which is a very good one) even though my source/player is not top notch in terms of analogue output.

What do you give up by going this route?

-easier connectivity via HDMI instead of several RCA connections
-Audyssey or similar EQ system
-money - for this to meet it's potential for multichannel music, you need to buy a very good universal player.
-give up various play modes that receivers and pre/pros have.
-most AVR's have more accurate trim level settings, delay/distance settings, and sub control settings than source players, so a little more fine tuning of those dynamics is possible in AVR's than this kind of set up.

You get:

-clearer, crisper, more detailed, more palpable, "you are there" sound
-nice simple interface and less stuff you don't need
-attractive uncluttering unit
-phono linestage
-a really nice 2 channel preamp along with the multichannel abilties
-bass management for 2 channel
-very intelligent and simple layout and controls.

PS: If you have a decent receiver or AVR already, you can use that for movies, and the P7 for 2 channel and/or for mulitchannel music, all easily integrated in the same system.

Hope this is an interesting perspective. Look for a review os this unit sometime soon in the mags too.

Pedro

So Pedro--

What are your impressions after having owned the P7 for a few weeks?

Any further thoughts?

Thanks.

______________________

__________

Dave

moonhawk is offline  
post #25 of 158 Old 01-12-2009, 12:14 PM
Member
 
poopiehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 172
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think this has a lot of appeal to future proof yourself if you're only interested in Blu-ray playback. I think the BUILT in decoders in Blu-ray or DVD players are good enough and will constantly keep up to all the new formats (video and audio). pair the P7 up with some great valued multi-channel amps like the Emotiva series along with a solid video processor like the DVDO Edge and you're set.

The ONLY downside is that you will still need a DD/DTS processor for all the cable TV brodcast (movies or sports are in DD 5.1) as the cable boxes don't have 5.1 analogue output.

for the same amount of money, the Onkyo Integra Dtc 9.9 is just better value overall. Incorporates all the above (except the amp) along with modern audio codecs. Given that the Onkyo has muti-channel anaologue in, you're still future proofed a bit.
poopiehead is offline  
post #26 of 158 Old 01-12-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopiehead View Post

I think this has a lot of appeal to future proof yourself if you're only interested in Blu-ray playback. I think the BUILT in decoders in Blu-ray or DVD players are good enough and will constantly keep up to all the new formats (video and audio). pair the P7 up with some great valued multi-channel amps like the Emotiva series along with a solid video processor like the DVDO Edge and you're set.

The ONLY downside is that you will still need a DD/DTS processor for all the cable TV brodcast (movies or sports are in DD 5.1) as the cable boxes don't have 5.1 analogue output.
.


You also need a highpass filter or a bluray player with flexible bass management as the P7 only has BM for the main stereo channels.
adidino is online now  
post #27 of 158 Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moonhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Madera, New Mexico
Posts: 3,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
My tentative plan is the Denon A1UDCI uberplayer with the P7, and keep my Arcam AVP700 for Sat TV viewing, and the AM?FM tuner.

I think the Denon-Halo combination will be killer, as long as the Halo provides a substatntial upgrade in audio over my Arcam, which remains to be seen.

______________________

__________

Dave

moonhawk is offline  
post #28 of 158 Old 02-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Senior Member
 
jdmi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon 3800 BD player which has great internal decoding of the lossless codecs and great sound in general. Right now I'm using a Rotel 1066 pre/pro which is pretty good, but this Parasound looks awfully tempting since I only need multichannel preamplification at this point.
jdmi is offline  
post #29 of 158 Old 02-07-2009, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OtherSongs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Review in January Stereophile.

Looks like you, or your boss, pushed your column back a month?

MITR column sez February 2009.

For others, it's up on-line now; see 2nd page at: http://stereophile.com/musicintherou...34/index1.html

Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

OtherSongs is offline  
post #30 of 158 Old 02-07-2009, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
OtherSongs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago-ish
Posts: 1,663
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmpswrx View Post

The Parasound P7 is here, in my living room!

Bottom line: if you are an audio-first person, mostly listen to 2 channel, and listen to multi-channel music more often than movies, this P7 is worth considering as an audiophile's alternative to a receiver or pre/pro.

What do you give up by going this route?

-easier connectivity via HDMI instead of several RCA connections

I gave up on HDMI for MC audio (MultiChannel). So I use a lot of RCA cables, and took to making my own. See: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=diy&page=8

Cheers

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

OtherSongs is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Parasound , Oppo Digital Inc Bdp 105

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off