Official AVSForum Marantz question thread. - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1355 Old 05-11-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Take off / eliminate all the audessey settings / stuff for a few days and see if it all comes back. The auto cal did the same thing to my subs, but it came back. I just calibrated manually. Some rooms are so bad they really weird out the auto cal is all I can figure on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1355 Old 05-11-2007, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,
I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone from Marantz on this. Does the SR7001 upconvert a source to 1080p or does it just pass 1080p through HDMI. My tv is native 1080p and I want to know if this receiver will upconvert any video source I feed it as long as the tv is connected via HDMI.

Thanks for you help.

MG
post #273 of 1355 Old 05-11-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The SR7001 and SR8001 have no scalers. Period, question answered. It will transcode all sources to HDMI, it will de-interlace 480i to 480p for HDMI, but it will not scale period.

You really don't want it to either, all the current AVR's suck at scaling, good dedicated scalers cost $2000 for good reason in this area.
post #274 of 1355 Old 05-11-2007, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

The SR7001 and SR8001 have no scalers. Period, question answered. It will transcode all sources to HDMI, it will de-interlace 480i to 480p for HDMI, but it will not scale period.

You really don't want it to either, all the current AVR's suck at scaling, good dedicated scalers cost $2000 for good reason in this area.

Absolutely true. And speaking from experience, ive seen some of the poor scaling jobs some receivers with these cheap scalers do.
post #275 of 1355 Old 05-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The only pre-pro/receiver that is up to the job upscaling are the Anthem units with HDMI. Other than that it is a feature that you don't want to use a receiver to do.
post #276 of 1355 Old 05-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Thanks guys.
I'm really torn between getting the Marantz or one of the new Onkyo receivers just announced. I've read this forum over and I'm worried about some of the problems people have had. I'm sure most deviced aren't without their flaws though.
post #277 of 1355 Old 05-14-2007, 07:52 AM

Hey Guys! I have a quick question. Do you always have to turn the SR8001 power on inorder to get sound/pic from tv with HDMI being used? Using my old receiver, non HDMI, I could listen and view programs without the receiver being on. In using the HDMI on the SR8001 causing my problems?
post #278 of 1355 Old 05-14-2007, 11:47 AM

My SR8001 is a couple of month old now. The speaker configuration is 6.1. After running Audyssey several times there is no equalization applied to the back surround speaker. Audyssey does recognize the speaker thou, because it applies distance etc. to it. Any ideas what am I doing wrong??
post #279 of 1355 Old 05-14-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bORNZO View Post

Hey Guys! I have a quick question. Do you always have to turn the SR8001 power on inorder to get sound/pic from tv with HDMI being used? Using my old receiver, non HDMI, I could listen and view programs without the receiver being on. In using the HDMI on the SR8001 causing my problems?

You must of had a direct feed of audio to the display before?
If your going HDMI into the AVR and HDMI out of the AVR to your display, the AVR has to be on.
Not really an HDMI problem, it's just that is the way it works.
post #280 of 1355 Old 05-15-2007, 07:11 AM

Jdenver,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will have to start using the receiver for sound. It is only temporary until I finish the HT.
post #281 of 1355 Old 05-15-2007, 09:24 AM

Hello Everyone,
After I came home from work yesterday I found out we had a power outage at my house sometimes during the day. I checked the speaker settings and they were all off. Distance for example was 4.64 m for all speakers. I ran the Audyssey again last night and that fixed it all, even the equalization for the back surround speaker. Problem solved.
post #282 of 1355 Old 05-18-2007, 11:46 AM

I have the SR8001 coming to me in a few days and had a few questions.

#1) I thought I read somewhere that people noticed a drop in picture quality going through the SR8001 using the component inputs on the receiver and up through to the TV. Am I going to get the same PQ through the 8001 from say, my DVD player, that I would going right to the TV directly from the DVD player itself?

#2) I realize that the receiver has to be turned on to pass through the video signal if I do some video switching, but, if I just want to listen via the TV speakers and not through the whole home theatre system, can I turn down the volume on the SR8001 all the way, and just get the "passed through" sound at a normal level? or will turning down the SR8001's volume affect the audio signal sent to the TV?

#3) Similar to question #1). Any difference in PQ going out via HDMI to the TV from the SR8001? I have a high def satellite receiver and wonder if PQ will suffer if I don't go directly to the TV, but pass through the receiver first.

Thanks for the input. Much more stupid questions to come once I start to set this baby up next week.
post #283 of 1355 Old 05-18-2007, 01:30 PM

Hi Phil,

#1, this is one I can't answer. All my high def signals are via HDMI
#2, in normal operation mode, the SR8001 strips the audio signal from the HDMI feed to your TV (if you turn it up your TV volume you'll only hear white noise).
#3, I've encountered no loss in signal quality what so ever from HDMI to HDMI going through the 8001. I've not run any tests to confirm this. It's just what I've observed.

Good luck with your new box, yer gonna love it.

Dave
post #284 of 1355 Old 05-18-2007, 01:32 PM

Thanks Dave.
Anyone using component connections out there can answer my questions?

By the way, my TV is a 50" Panasonic Plasma, if that helps.

thanks
post #285 of 1355 Old 05-18-2007, 07:48 PM

Trying to figure out how to overcome home media issues . . .

Setup:
- SR8001 Marantz Receiver
- PDP-607CMX Pioneer Monitor w/ card
- BP2000 DefTech Surround Speakers
- Dedicated basement man-cave wired for HDMI

System sounds and looks incredible . . . when it works

Receiver often just shuts off, error message of "POW5" - usually during DVD play

During trouble-shooting, Marantz indicated this combination may not work well, as the DefTech speakers have less than the 6 ohms the receiver evidently requires - only measure 3.5 - 4.5 ohms at each speaker

I'm not really sure how to proceed at this point. These speakers and receiver should complement each with a high degree of performance, but my system is crashing and burning (which results in the POW status). Would like to see if there are any ideas of how to overcome the ohm issue.

Thx,
paul
post #286 of 1355 Old 05-19-2007, 07:02 PM

Had a similar problem with 7001 (no ohm problem, but the cutting off with pow-type message) and they tried to tell me it was a short in the system. Nothing in my system had changed with the 7001 from my previous system except the 7001. I unplugged the receiver from everything and put in on my kitchen table. It continued to cut itself off with pow-type messages sporadically and unpredictably. At that point my very understanding dealer traded it out with a new 7001 and no problems since. Love the sound and appreciate my independent dealer.
post #287 of 1355 Old 05-20-2007, 02:44 AM
Advanced Member

I have never had that issue and I am running 5 4ohm speakers
post #288 of 1355 Old 05-20-2007, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by edblanton View Post

Had a similar problem with 7001 (no ohm problem, but the cutting off with pow-type message) and they tried to tell me it was a short in the system. Nothing in my system had changed with the 7001 from my previous system except the 7001. I unplugged the receiver from everything and put in on my kitchen table. It continued to cut itself off with pow-type messages sporadically and unpredictably. At that point my very understanding dealer traded it out with a new 7001 and no problems since. Love the sound and appreciate my independent dealer.

I bought mine from AVS. I asked my salesman what he or ASV would do for me, and I was promptly ignored. Hence the disappointment with AVS as well as Marantz. I bought a Yamaha RX-V661 and the 8001 is off to a repair center. I will most likely be selling the 8001 when it gets back to me seeing how Marantz won't respond to my inquires either. So much for better response joining the owners circle....

This cheap $500 Yamaha has no problems processing all L-PCM signals. It will even matrix 5.1 / 96 kHz into 7.1
post #289 of 1355 Old 05-20-2007, 09:51 AM

Further to my previous question, has anyone seen any decrease in picture quality while switching a component video signal going through the SR8001 and going out via either component or HDMI?

As well, does the audio get stripped out of the component signal like it does on HDMI signal like a previous poster said? i.e. can I turn the volume down on the 8001 and just listen via the TV speakers if I go component in and out through the 8001?
post #290 of 1355 Old 05-20-2007, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

I only plan to keep the Marantz SR7001 until Either the Onkyo 805 or 875 is out unless they are able to fix the few problems that the SR7001 has.
post #291 of 1355 Old 05-21-2007, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmalik View Post

As well, does the audio get stripped out of the component signal like it does on HDMI signal like a previous poster said? i.e. can I turn the volume down on the 8001 and just listen via the TV speakers if I go component in and out through the 8001?

Component has no audio to begin with??
post #292 of 1355 Old 05-21-2007, 12:57 AM

Quote:

Further to my previous question, has anyone seen any decrease in picture quality while switching a component video signal going through the SR8001 and going out via either component or HDMI?

Component does not carry audio like HDMI. If you are talking about connecting your DVD player via component to the 8001 then you will have to connect an audio cable also i.e. optical or analog. To listen via the TV speakers, you will have to connect your audio cable to the TV directly if you choose to connect with component.
post #293 of 1355 Old 05-21-2007, 10:06 AM

Sorry, what I meant to ask about composite inputs is, if I go composite in to the 8001 and then composite out to the TV (with audio going to the TV as well from the 8001) , if I turn down the volume all the way on the receiver, will the audio signal still get passed through to the TV?

And, still looking to see if anyone is doing this with their system, and noticed and difference in picture quality as opposed to going right to the TV from the source.

thanks
post #294 of 1355 Old 05-22-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:

Sorry, what I meant to ask about composite inputs is, if I go composite in to the 8001 and then composite out to the TV (with audio going to the TV as well from the 8001) , if I turn down the volume all the way on the receiver, will the audio signal still get passed through to the TV?

If anyone can tell me how to make the outputs work I'll test it.
I can only ever get an output from the moniter outs and main preouts(this is affected by the volume control). All the VCR1, DSS, TAPE and CD/R outputs do nothing on mine.
I have tried turning on/off everything and assigning/unassigning inputs for about an hour now. If I input composite and/or s-vide with stereo analogue audio via rca to the VCR1 input, I get nothing from any of the VCR1 outputs.

Has anyone had any luck with them and want to point out what I am missing?
post #295 of 1355 Old 05-23-2007, 03:53 PM

Another potential problem with 7001, or, at least, with my unit and firmware.

The manual states that, when set on Auto, the receiver will cycle through 'HDMI, Digi and Analogue' when pressing the A/D digital key. However, I have my HDMI DVD players connected (both Oppo 980HD and Marantz Dv-7001) HDMI and co-ax. The only way I can get a coax signal is to set in the function menu to 'Digital' only. When I press the A/D key it only cycles through HDMI-AT and Analogue. If I set the Function input to 'Auto' I cannot select the digital input at all.

Anyone else have this problem?
post #296 of 1355 Old 05-23-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barzo View Post

Another potential problem with 7001, or, at least, with my unit and firmware.

The manual states that, when set on Auto, the receiver will cycle through 'HDMI, Digi and Analogue' when pressing the A/D digital key. However, I have my HDMI DVD players connected (both Oppo 980HD and Marantz Dv-7001) HDMI and co-ax. The only way I can get a coax signal is to set in the function menu to 'Digital' only. When I press the A/D key it only cycles through HDMI-AT and Analogue. If I set the Function input to 'Auto' I cannot select the digital input at all.

Anyone else have this problem?

Okay Barzo... let me assume the role of the "villiage idiot" for a moment... if you have both of your DVD players connected to the Marantz via HDMI ....

Why would you also run a digital coax from the players to the receiver???

The HDMI is capable of carrying a higher bandwidth digital signal than the coax... so why would you bother with the coax???

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #297 of 1355 Old 05-23-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

Okay Barzo... let me assume the role of the "villiage idiot" for a moment... if you have both of your DVD players connected to the Marantz via HDMI ....

Why would you also run a digital coax from the players to the receiver???

The HDMI is capable of carrying a higher bandwidth digital signal than the coax... so why would you bother with the coax???

HDMI audio may have a higher bandwidth (in theory), but it also suffers from high levels of audio jitter. Plus, I have really decent coax leads, due to past ownership of non-HDMI amps. In my opinion, the coax sounds better - more detailed. It is a pain that the system is not performing as stated.
post #298 of 1355 Old 05-28-2007, 12:23 AM

I just bought a Marantz SR7001 last week along with five speakers from Monitor Audio. I plugged everything in and did the auto audyssey test and I noticed that it said that I didn't have a center speaker. I checked all of the cables but they are plugged in correctly. I ran the test again and noticed that there was a very faint "blip blip" test sound from the center speaker, but not enough for the mic to hear. I have tried hooking the center speaker up to the left and right channels and there I get sound out of it, so there is nothing wrong with the speaker. I have also tried disconnecting all of the speakers and just leaving the center speaker plugged in and then cranking up the volume all the way to the max, and then I can hear a whisper from the speaker.

Does anybody know what is wrong? Is my amp broken? Do I have to take it back to the store? I could really use some help. This is my first stereo system, so maybe there is some fundamental thing I have missed.
post #299 of 1355 Old 05-29-2007, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you cal the levels manually, does it seem fine?

Audyssey can and will reveal problems with a given room. In other words some rooms can just be too bad for it to deal with properly.
post #300 of 1355 Old 05-30-2007, 06:50 AM

robinahman, it sounds like a defective unit to me, I'd bring it back. The test "blip" in audyssey setup should work fine regardless of room. Presuming that the speaker and the speaker cable have both been confirmed as OK (ie, first try the same speaker on the center channel using one of the other speaker cables), the only problem left is the receiver, most likely a problem with the preamp section (the amps are usually fine since they're very simple technically). That being the case, the unit is DOA and should be exchanged for a functioning unit.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page