Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1359 Old 08-01-2007, 02:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoro View Post

when will marantz announce new 1.3v recievers?

I would also like to know that. Does anyone knows?
Br
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1359 Old 08-01-2007, 06:37 AM

I have a marantz sr7001 with a 5.1 speaker set up and am thinking of purchasing a PS3 as a blue ray player. Will I be able to get Dolby True HD with the sr7001 and ps3?
post #453 of 1359 Old 08-01-2007, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

You'll be able to use uncompressed PCM to get 5.1 from the new formats. Most people will argue that the uncompressed PCM over HDMI is as good as Dolby True HD or DTS MA.

Richard
post #454 of 1359 Old 08-01-2007, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Not sure if Marantz will announce anything at CEDIA or not regarding HDMI 1.3. For now, the SR models do well with the uncompressed PCM so you're not missing out on anything.

Richard
post #455 of 1359 Old 08-01-2007, 07:41 AM

Thank you very much for the reply.

On a positive note, I purchased my SR7001 last year and absolutely love it. I have a Direct TV HD box, Xbox 360, Toshiba HD A1 dvd player, Wii, KEF home theatre spekares and a Sharp Aquos LCD. The sr7001 was an absolute breeze to get hooked up and running. It sounds fantastic and works flawlessly. I am really liking the 4 HDMI inputs especially if I add a PS3 to for a blu ray player.

I noticed in this thread some people having problems with the Marantz shutting down and going into protect mode. I had the same issue a few days after I hooked everything up. After checking everything I noticed my power connection to the Marantz was a tad bit loose. I reconnected it firmly and made sure I didn't loosen it while moving it back into place and haven't had the issue since then. Just my two cents.

William
post #456 of 1359 Old 08-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsw2 View Post

I have a marantz sr7001 with a 5.1 speaker set up and am thinking of purchasing a PS3 as a blue ray player. Will I be able to get Dolby True HD with the sr7001 and ps3?

The PS3 will decode Dolby True HD and output it to the 7001 as uncompressed PCM.
post #457 of 1359 Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 AM

I don't know if this is true but somobody in avforums (GB) stated that new models will be named 7002, 8002.... and will be out in november.

Br
post #458 of 1359 Old 08-02-2007, 09:34 AM

I am looking for options at whole (or at leas a few additional rooms) house audio setups. Unfortunately my house was built without any audio wiring and my options are limited at best (runing wire is nearly impossible due to lack of access).

So I was extremely interested in the Daved technology and would really like to buy the zr6001 but I want whole house audio with my choice of speakers; the little zc4001 box is not exactly the approach I had in mind. So for now I keep wiating to find somethign I can use.

Is there any chance we will see additional daved receivers, i.e. clients, that can be used to power free-standing speakers?
post #459 of 1359 Old 08-02-2007, 02:58 PM

Liked: 11
After reading thru the SR7001 manual and checking all the commands that were downloaded to my Harmony 880, I am not sure whether this is possible.

I have Sennheiser RS130 RF Headphones, a SR7001, and a Samsung HL-R4667W TV.

Before I got the SR7001, I had the headphone base station connected to the L/R Audio out jacks on the back of my TV. To shut off the sound through the TV speakers and use the headphones all I needed to do was go through the TV menus and select the option to turn Internal Mute on.

It appears that whenever headphones are plugged into the SR7001 it disables any sound through the speakers completely. This makes having RF wireless headphones a waste, since I will still need to get up to either plug or unplug the headphones whenever I want to switch between using the speakers or headphones.

Is there anyway that I can just leave the headphone base station plugged into the SR7001 and still have it switch between the headphones and speakers?

Another way I was thinking was to see if there was an option to set the SR7001 to still send the audio signal to the TV instead of the speakers. That way I could leave the headphone base station connected to the TV and use the same method I did before I got the SR7001. Does anyone know whether a pass thru option exists on the SR7001?
post #460 of 1359 Old 08-03-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrman View Post

The PS3 will decode Dolby True HD and output it to the 7001 as uncompressed PCM.

Will this work on the 5100? I thought it would, but the manual only lists PCM as 2channel for the 5100.

Anyone confirm or deny that ps3 outputting uncompressed PCM to the 5100 works?

Lurker extraordinare!

-Jared
post #461 of 1359 Old 08-04-2007, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My replacement SR8001 arrived yesterday from AVS (thanks Jason).

I hooked it up and ran it through the auto speaker set up. I'm getting pretty good at setting this unit up with all the practice I've been getting.

This unit has the new firmware installed and I ran into something that is different and has me wondering what to do My last unit would save the Audysey settings after running the auto setup. I could then go into manual speaker set up and all the EQ settings would carry over to the manual set up. Before, I would simply change the speaker distances, sizes, cross-over's and tweak the channel levels a bit while measuring with my SPL meter. All the EQ settings would be there as well and I could either leave them on or off.

Well last night this replacement unit would not carry the EQ settings over when I tried to run the manual speaker set up. And after I set everything manually, I can not switch back over to the auto set up parameters. Has anyone else noticed this?? Or am I simply doing something wrong?? I lost patience last night and gave up but will try again tonight. I'll run the auto set up, right down all the EQ settings and enter them manually if I have to. But man, that's a lot of work.

I didn't spend much time messing around with the PS3, but I did throw in the BR movie Decent and saw 7.1 PCM pop up on the display so it would appear that Marantz has resolved the discrete 6/7 channel PCM issue. I'll have to do some more playing to confirm this when I have more time.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping this unit does not shut down like the one it replaced.
post #462 of 1359 Old 08-06-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew View Post

My replacement SR8001 arrived yesterday from AVS (thanks Jason).

I hooked it up and ran it through the auto speaker set up. I'm getting pretty good at setting this unit up with all the practice I've been getting.

This unit has the new firmware installed and I ran into something that is different and has me wondering what to do My last unit would save the Audysey settings after running the auto setup. I could then go into manual speaker set up and all the EQ settings would carry over to the manual set up. Before, I would simply change the speaker distances, sizes, cross-over's and tweak the channel levels a bit while measuring with my SPL meter. All the EQ settings would be there as well and I could either leave them on or off.

Well last night this replacement unit would not carry the EQ settings over when I tried to run the manual speaker set up. And after I set everything manually, I can not switch back over to the auto set up parameters. Has anyone else noticed this?? Or am I simply doing something wrong?? I lost patience last night and gave up but will try again tonight. I'll run the auto set up, right down all the EQ settings and enter them manually if I have to. But man, that's a lot of work.

I didn't spend much time messing around with the PS3, but I did throw in the BR movie Decent and saw 7.1 PCM pop up on the display so it would appear that Marantz has resolved the discrete 6/7 channel PCM issue. I'll have to do some more playing to confirm this when I have more time.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping this unit does not shut down like the one it replaced.

Did you "Store" the the auto set up results before you "Exit" the screen? As per note on page 29 of the manual.
post #463 of 1359 Old 08-06-2007, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanVlna View Post

Did you "Store" the the auto set up results before you "Exit" the screen? As per note on page 29 of the manual.

Yes I did. I did this twice with the same results.

Yesterday I tried something different though, and it worked. I performed all my manual set up calibrations first, then went into the auto set up and ran Audysey. After I completed auto set up, I went back into the manual set up program to enter all the EQ results manually, but they were all there. All I had to do was tweak the channels a bit. Now all the EQ settings remain in manual. That little problem is solved.....

Now I have a new problem. I loose all video for a fraction of a second, regardless of source selected. It happens at no repeatable time frequency or with any sort of pattern that I can tell. I have all video functions turned off. Not sure why this is happening because there is no interuption in sound when it happens. I'll check all my connections and experement some tonight.
post #464 of 1359 Old 08-07-2007, 12:40 PM

Are we going to see any firmware updates for the SR9600? Though I can't actually point to it needing anything off the top of my head, maybe TrueHD processing and other codecs with HD formats?
post #465 of 1359 Old 08-07-2007, 03:23 PM

purchased one and have it hooked up correctly

plays songs fine and dandy ... it just takes days to go from A-Z in my rather large library. any easy fixes?
post #466 of 1359 Old 08-09-2007, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Did Marantz ever come in and answer questions? I see the responses, but sure no questions answered
post #467 of 1359 Old 08-09-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroht View Post

purchased one and have it hooked up correctly

plays songs fine and dandy ... it just takes days to go from A-Z in my rather large library. any easy fixes?

You can make playlists inside your iPod. Then simply browse the playlists instead of your entire catalog of music.

Please try and remember that I am doing this as another added level of support, & should not be relied on to check the website at a regular basis. Any pressing issues should go to our CS or Tech
post #468 of 1359 Old 08-09-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Schatz View Post

Are we going to see any firmware updates for the SR9600? Though I can't actually point to it needing anything off the top of my head, maybe TrueHD processing and other codecs with HD formats?

Unfortunately something like that, most likely not... but keep an eye out for things to come. As you know the 9600 is a BEAST!! so when the replacement comes (PLEASE no questions about if/when/what the replacement is) you know its going to be the cream of the crop!

Forgot to mention... you can use the 5/7.1 analog inputs from the player to the receiver for any of the decoding.

Please try and remember that I am doing this as another added level of support, & should not be relied on to check the website at a regular basis. Any pressing issues should go to our CS or Tech
post #469 of 1359 Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now I have a new problem. I loose all video for a fraction of a second, regardless of source selected. It happens at no repeatable time frequency or with any sort of pattern that I can tell. I have all video functions turned off. Not sure why this is happening because there is no interuption in sound when it happens. I'll check all my connections and experement some tonight.

Update on my last problem.

I did check all my connections and they were fine. I also unplugged all HDMI cables, re-established the HMDI handshakes from devise to device and still had the intermittent loss of video.

I then turned video functions on, the problem persisted.

For the hell of it I changed the HDMI output from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2. So far (knock on wood), the loss of video no longer persists. Before claiming complete victory, I want to watch for abnormalities for a few days. I suspect there is a hardware problem with the HDMI 1 output port.

I can also confirm that Multi-channel PCM works flawlessly. 6.1 and 7.1 sources are recognized and play.

..it sure is nice to get the 8001 in the chain again. It's one heck of a nice sounded receiver, despite the quirks I've dealt with. I hope Marantz learns from this line of AVR's before they ship their new line.
post #470 of 1359 Old 08-09-2007, 06:21 PM

Good to hear that your 6.1/7.1 problems are solved. Its a nice receiver...
post #471 of 1359 Old 08-10-2007, 02:18 AM

Josh,

I am very happy that there will be a replacement of the SR9600. I currently have a SR14 and I am looking for a successor with HDMI and the new HD-sound-formats.
post #472 of 1359 Old 08-10-2007, 05:14 AM

Quote:

Update on my last problem.
I did check all my connections and they were fine. I also unplugged all HDMI cables, re-established the HMDI handshakes from devise to device and still had the intermittent loss of video.

I then turned video functions on, the problem persisted.

For the hell of it I changed the HDMI output from HDMI 1 to HDMI 2. So far (knock on wood), the loss of video no longer persists. Before claiming complete victory, I want to watch for abnormalities for a few days. I suspect there is a hardware problem with the HDMI 1 output port.

Mdrew, thanks for sharing.

I have issues with HDMI Out 1 port (and not HDMI Out 2) as well -- I get sparkles when passing 1080p60Hz video signals. The problem does not exist for video signals of lower bandwidth i.e. 1080p24Hz, 1080i60Hz, 720p60hz, etc.

It took me quite a while to convince my local Marantz support centre on this problem as they lack the necessary equipment to verify it. The matter was eventually escalated to the local D&M Holdings office and I was told that they will ship the replacement HDMI board from Japan.

Well, it certainly seemed diffcult for them to pull a spare HDMI board from their production line as it has been more than 3 weeks since D&M recognised the issue..
post #473 of 1359 Old 08-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post

Mdrew, thanks for sharing.

I have issues with HDMI Out 1 port (and not HDMI Out 2) as well -- I get sparkles when passing 1080p60Hz video signals. The problem does not exist for video signals of lower bandwidth i.e. 1080p24Hz, 1080i60Hz, 720p60hz, etc.

It took me quite a while to convince my local Marantz support centre on this problem as they lack the necessary equipment to verify it. The matter was eventually escalated to the local D&M Holdings office and I was told that they will ship the replacement HDMI board from Japan.

Well, it certainly seemed diffcult for them to pull a spare HDMI board from their production line as it has been more than 3 weeks since D&M recognised the issue..

Hey man give them a break there buried in Excel spreadsheets , I have a 7500 that is problem free, was going to upgrade but not after reading this thread, I don't want to wait 4 months for a problem to be resolved thats a whole football season. Especially when there are known issues, error codes showing, I would expect an immediate swap out, with them paying shipping, customer should never suffer because of defective product.
post #474 of 1359 Old 08-11-2007, 08:32 AM

Well it's been more than FIVE weeks that a local Marantz service center has had my receiver (SR8001). I brought it into the center, at the suggestion of a Marantz service person (via Owner's Circle), to get the firmware upgraded in order to get the ability to switch HDMI outputs via the remote.

I was told "just send your unit into any authorized service center they'll do the upgrade free of charge."

Yesterday I started calling the service center and they said they were having problems with Marantz not sending them the parts they needed (a new board or something). The service center suggested that I call Marantz Customer Service and put some pressure on them as they were having a difficult time. I called Marantz and, after waiting on hold for 30 minutes (the average hold time of all my calls to them) I spoke with someone who said that she'd call the center, take care of the problem and call me back in 45 minutes! That sounded promising, unfortunately I never got a call back.

The next day I called Marantz again and, after waiting on hold for 30 minutes, was sent to voice-mailbox of the the person I originally called. I left a message and, again, was never called back.

I called Marantz again, later that day, and got through to the person who said they would call the service center again and then get back with me. Yet again, i was never called back.

I called the service center and, low and behold, they were actually on the phone with a Marantz person and here is what I learned:

The Marantz person they spoke with said they thought that the firmware upgrade could not be done a just any service center - it had to be done at a SUPER service center. They weren't sure but my local service center was supposed to call them back on Monday and find out the official answer. BTW, there is only one official Marantz service center in Houston (according to the Marantz web site) and apparently it's not a "super service center".

FIVE WEEKS TO GET THIS INFO FROM MARANTZ????? Don't they KNOW what to do? Why didn't the original Marantz guy I contacted say this! "Any authorized service center" does not imply "super service center".

I really liked my receiver when I got it. With the exception of the HDMI out switching limitation (that was fixed in the new firmware) we've really been enjoying it. However, now my feelings toward the company and brand have significantly soured. I firmly blame Marantz in this and not the service center as I feel THEY have been jerked around by Marantz as well.

I need two HDMI outputs because I have a TV and a projector. I have not been able to use my projector for the entire time my receiver has just been sitting at the service center waiting on Marantz to say that that service center can't do the upgrade anyways!
post #475 of 1359 Old 08-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Ouch! I have heard other stories like this. Accordingly, when I purchased my SR7001 I also purchased a less expensive Pre/pro (I have an amp) as a back up. I was led to believe that IF I had to send my receiver to a service center it would be several months until I got it back. I didn't want to be stuck with a new projector/theater that I couldn't use so hence the backup. (Plus the AV dealer agreed to provide a replacement 7001 it the need arose). Luckily, I haven't had any problems with my SR7001. I guess its like insurance. Unless you need it, it is a waste of money.

Hope you get this straightened out soon.

Best
Ray
post #476 of 1359 Old 08-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Well, I just hope I don't run into this problem. I sent my SR7001 into a service center in CA the other day for the firmware update. I just hope they can do it. Also, I am a bit surprised that there are no service centers in Northern CA, much less in the SF Bay Area. I mean we are only like one of the most populated areas of the country. I just hope I get it back soon with the correct updated firmware.
post #477 of 1359 Old 08-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Well folks, I have good news and bad news for those of you with the 7001/8001 needing firmware upgrades.

The Bad news is I also sent mine in and it took me a month to get it back. And I sent mine into the biggest "Super Service Center" Marantz has in Ill. which is called Service Wide Technologies.
Brief history: I bought it new from AVS at the end of June. I immediately checked the FW, and found it to be version h50. Knowing that a member here, zapp! got his 8001 upgraded to h52 a couple a weeks earlier, I figured I could just send mine in and get it done. But the key was that he lives in Singapore! I live here in the states (S.F. Bay Area).
In any case, when I contacted the Marantz Tech. dept. and told them I wanted the latest FW, they said send it in to your local service center in Calif. and they will take care of it for you. He then gave me the 3 centers in Calif. I contacted all of them. And two days later, only one of them returned my call. He told me to send it to Service Wide as he did not have the capacity to do the upgrade. I then called Marantz back and asked if this was the proper thing to do and they said yes! I then called SWT, filled out their online form, and immediately sent it in using 2-day FedEx so I could get it back asap.
They received it on 7-11-07. I kept checking to see when they
would ship it back, they kept saying it was on the Techs. bench with
multiple problems. Long story short, I got Marantz involved 2-3 weeks
into the process, and after many emails and phone calls I finally find out from
service wide, that a service bulletin for the new firmware did not
even get posted to the US service centers until 7-20-07. And Service Wide did not even get the actual FW until after my constant "badgering" a little over a week ago. I have been in direct contact with both the main manager at Service Wide and the VP of Marketing at Marantz (Kevin Zarow) during this process, both were very stand up people and when all the facts were brought to there attention they made things happen.

So the Good News is, I just got my 7001 back (on Fri.) and it indeed has the h52 FW. Marantz and SWT were both very understanding and know that this wait time was unacceptable. And at least Service Wide now has the latest FW to upgrade the units with. Kevin Z. at Marantz said that as far as he knew I was the first one in the U.S. to have this upgrade performed. And he knows that there are a lot of followers on this board. That and my non-stop persistence, he said had a lot to do with getting this FW released in the U.S. as soon as it was. How true that is, I don't know. But, I do know this, Marantz in now HIGHLY aware of this, and if you send your unit to Service Wide Tech. they definitely have the FW upgrade!

Good luck all!
MF
post #478 of 1359 Old 08-13-2007, 08:22 PM

well its sorta similar case in Singapore too only that the Marantz agent here has direct contacts with Marantz Japan which expedites the process to get the latest firmware file for uploading into your AVR. Hopefully SWT will pass on that file to other Marantz super centers...
post #479 of 1359 Old 08-13-2007, 08:33 PM

I bought a sr5600 through accessories4less back in Feb 2007 and just completed by HT room and started hooking stuff up..Everything sounded great for about 1 movie but then the audio quit.. I can't get audio form any source and when I go to menu and try the test tones they are also dead..Before it quit I noticed the levels were very low on all channels the it went silent..Anybody else had this issue?

This makes me sick, I have been working on my room for 6 months and now I am having receiver issues HELP!
post #480 of 1359 Old 08-14-2007, 07:51 PM

Hey I wanted to post a follow up..After going through almost every option in the menu's ( started to suspect something like tape 2 was on ) I found a list on how to put everything back to defaults and do a reset..Push multi and 7.1 for 3 seconds..Well after doing that and shutting it off and back on the sound works and sounds better then day one..Not sure if something was hosed or if something was set wrong but I am happy again!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page