Official AVSForum Marantz question thread. - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1355 Old 09-14-2007, 09:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking at some information about new Marantz receivers, and it looks like they are not improving the 3000, 6000, and 9000 models. Marantz may even be dropping those models. Does anyone know? Will the 4002 and 5002 have XM built in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1355 Old 09-14-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
JS@Marantz

It just dawned on my what you were saying about "True HDMI Repeating" versus switching in the new 8002/7002. Aren't most all other receivers just using HDMI switches? If I understand correctly, a repeater takes in the HDMI signal then rebroadcasts an amplified version of the original HDMI signal, allowing for much longer runs of HDMI cable without signal degradation and sync problems? A switch just acts as a traffic cop...(Am I stating this correctly?)

Is the repeater functionality going to help overcome crappy HDMI implementation in my TWC SA 8300 HDDVR? I'm a projector owner, so this would be good selling point to me with a 35' cable run. My cable box only recently was f/w upgraded to correctly output HDMI, so I can connect to projector but am holding breath on adding receiver into mix until I know it will work.

It would be great if a repeater is going to help overcome these limitations.

Would you care to elaborate when you have time?

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #543 of 1355 Old 09-15-2007, 04:55 PM

After reading all the service issues with the 8001 I am now going to look in to Onkyo 875and Dennon 3801. I just can not stomach companies that provide customer no service!
To keep loyal customers they should just swap it out for a new one and sell the refurbished one as just that.
post #544 of 1355 Old 09-15-2007, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quick question. I'm about get BD-P2400 (when it comes out) It supports supports uncompressed PCM audio and LDolby(R) TrueHD. Will I be able to take advantage of it with my SR8001?

Thanks

Thanks,
Hansang
post #545 of 1355 Old 09-15-2007, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX35TN View Post

After reading all the service issues with the 8001 I am now going to look in to Onkyo 875and Dennon 3801. I just can not stomach companies that provide customer no service!
To keep loyal customers they should just swap it out for a new one and sell the refurbished one as just that.

Do yourself a favor and look at Pioneer Elite as well. I just picked up a 92TXH, and the build quality is measurably better than the 7001s that I tried. The 7001 is no match for the SR 7000 that introduced me to Marantz. Build quality has gone down hill. By the sounds of it that must hold true for the 8001 as well.

I looked at the Onkyo 805 expecting much more after reading about it on this forum. It may sound wonderful, but it looks like it belongs in Circuit City. I couldn't believe how cheaply it is built. Maybe the 875 is better??

Good luck!
post #546 of 1355 Old 09-18-2007, 09:53 AM

can anyone tell me why when I play a SACD on my SR7001 via my PS3 HDMI at first the DSD (I think that's what its called) light will come on and it will read SACD but I get no audio. When I re start the CD it will then read 5.1 multi-chan and it will play. Is my issue with the PS3 or the Marantz and am I missing any quality?
post #547 of 1355 Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX35TN View Post

or check out NAD
I have had a T773 and love it amazing unit
having owned Pioneer elite I can tell you NAD blows them away with quality of build and most important sound !

I was looking at Marantz to update but now going to do some research on it before I pull the trigger on a 7002 to use as a pre/video switching setup
post #548 of 1355 Old 09-19-2007, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sxrd55 View Post

can anyone tell me why when I play a SACD on my SR7001 via my PS3 HDMI at first the DSD (I think that's what its called) light will come on and it will read SACD but I get no audio. When I re start the CD it will then read 5.1 multi-chan and it will play. Is my issue with the PS3 or the Marantz and am I missing any quality?

My SR8001 and PS3 does the exact same thing. I have reported the issue to Sony Australia(only took literally 6 months to get anywhere to even say "this does not work").
As far as I know this is an issue with the PS3, unless someone with a different brand HDMI 1.2 wants to report differently.

PS3 does not support outputting DSD over HDMI. Altho Sony Australia after 6 months was unable to 100% confirm that, instead they said they had googled about it and decided "no it is not supported. Ironically they most likely read one of my own posts about the problem.

Ring your local Playstation helpdesk and try to get a better answer, I'ld love something better than Sony admitting they only read forums reports about the issue rather than actually asking an engineer. The fact they did this just makes me hate Sony for being basically completely useless.

6 months to google unofficial user reports!!!
post #549 of 1355 Old 09-19-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedddx View Post

My SR8001 and PS3 does the exact same thing. I have reported the issue to Sony Australia(only took literally 6 months to get anywhere to even say "this does not work").
As far as I know this is an issue with the PS3, unless someone with a different brand HDMI 1.2 wants to report differently.

PS3 does not support outputting DSD over HDMI. Altho Sony Australia after 6 months was unable to 100% confirm that, instead they said they had googled about it and decided "no it is not supported. Ironically they most likely read one of my own posts about the problem.

Ring your local Playstation helpdesk and try to get a better answer, I'ld love something better than Sony admitting they only read forums reports about the issue rather than actually asking an engineer. The fact they did this just makes me hate Sony for being basically completely useless.

6 months to google unofficial user reports!!!

That's too bad. You would think that since they highlighted the SACD capability of the PS3 during the release they would have actually tested it! But then again its Sony and that does not surprise me! And dealing with Sony support is like talking to the wall my 2 year old could give me a better answer and she cant even speak in a complete sentence! I will try joining a PS3 forum and asking them. Thanks for the reply at least I know its no just me or my Marantz.
post #550 of 1355 Old 09-20-2007, 09:32 AM

Hello,
Company I work with has an SR8100 AVR out on a Yacht in Europe, wrong model was shipped from out from US and now we are stuck with the 115V version. Getting this exchanged is going to be a very very big deal, time, customs and shipping cost-wise, not to mention that the installers will be returning before this can get done. Before we open this up anyone here know if the unit can be converted internally to 220V? Simple fuse swap? Trany primary/secondary swap? Internal switch maybe! Voiding the warranty isn't an issue here. Any knowledgeable help will be most greatly appreciated.
TIA
-rp
post #551 of 1355 Old 09-22-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
JS@Marantz,

Thanks for coming to the forum. It's always nice to see company people frequent here. A friend of mine who is a Marantz dealer is getting in his new lit this week re: the new recievers and is going to have me take a look at it. I know it prop won't have the questions I have for you when you have the time to answer them.

1. HDMI video: How is it handled? Is it a pass through with the video not being touch by the processor at all?
2. Analog ins: What kind of adjustments can be made? Can you change the level of the sub only or can no changes be made at all?
3. The 6th and 7th channel: Can they be used for biwiring fronts for more power or are they just for use as rears?
4. Pure analog mode: Is there a true anaolg pass through for 2 channel music?
5. Bass Management: What type of adjustments through the hdmi? Can you sellect crossovers for not only the sub but also for all the other speakers or is it just a small/large setting?

Thanks alot,
Jim
post #552 of 1355 Old 09-22-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I just read about the upcoming cd6002. It looks to be a great player, using the newest and best cirus logic chip. It also plays mp3's and wma files. Does anyone know if it or maybe a 7002 will be available in the usa?
post #553 of 1355 Old 09-22-2007, 06:13 PM

Jimim:

1: Yes including 1080p, but can have audio stripped if you set it to do so(receiver plays audio or not)
2: no settings available including level adjustments (edit: I was wrong under 7.1 input, channel levels can be adjusted)
3: Yes, speaker c switch on the rear of the unit
4: No idea, but I doubt it
5: I have not seen crossover settings atleast recently (edit: it does have this under speaker settings)
post #554 of 1355 Old 09-23-2007, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jimim:

1: Yes including 1080p, but can have audio stripped if you set it to do so(receiver plays audio or not)
2: no settings available including level adjustments

That's big deal ,but was just wondering.

3: Yes, speaker c switch on the rear of the unit

That's good. More and more units are doing this.

4: No idea, but I doubt it

Now that's weird cause didn't the 01 models have it?

5: I have not seen crossover settings atleast recently

SO where did you get your info? Thanks alot though. I hope my friend gets his lit this week. He mentioned about all new models and I think he was talking about dvd players too cause we were talking about them, maybe he was just talking about the add of that blu player. i didn't think marantz released anything else at cedia.

jim
post #555 of 1355 Old 09-23-2007, 07:44 AM

I was talking about x001 models, other than the word "new" you never mentioned what it was in regards to.
I still say #4 is doubtful. With my 8001 with "pure direct" on, I can still use hdmi audio etc. I think you'll find like in most products, there is only a digital path to the analogue amps.
post #556 of 1355 Old 09-23-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was talking about x001 models, other than the word "new" you never mentioned what it was in regards to.
I still say #4 is doubtful. With my 8001 with "pure direct" on, I can still use hdmi audio etc. I think you'll find like in most products, there is only a digital path to the analogue amps.

Oh well. . . ya I was talking about the 02 models. Thought I was clear on that. Hopefully. . .we'll hear from Marantz on this. . . .
post #557 of 1355 Old 09-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,

How do I remove humming noise in my speakers from SR7001. I get this noise when I connect my HTPC to the receiver. The source of the noise is the analog cable that is connected to the TV tuner on the HTPC. Obviously one way is remove the noise from the analog cable but I don't know how.

Is there any way of doing it in the SR7001. Can I use the GRND portion of the AM antenna to remove the humming noise? If so, what should I do?

Thanks.
Srikanth

Thanks
Srikanth Koka
post #558 of 1355 Old 09-23-2007, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoka123 View Post

Hi,

How do I remove humming noise in my speakers from SR7001. I get this noise when I connect my HTPC to the receiver. The source of the noise is the analog cable that is connected to the TV tuner on the HTPC. Obviously one way is remove the noise from the analog cable but I don't know how.

Is there any way of doing it in the SR7001. Can I use the GRND portion of the AM antenna to remove the humming noise? If so, what should I do?

Thanks.
Srikanth

Ground loop. Since I have Axiom speakers, I just bought one from them

http://www.axiomaudio.com/groundisolator.html

But you can find these at a lot of places. It took care of my "hum" just fine.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #559 of 1355 Old 09-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Hi,

I have already read (your) other post and gathered that I need a Ground Loop Isolator. These things are not easy to find here in India. I was wondering if there is any cheaper way of grounding the current out of the receiver like taking an electrical wire and then connecting one end to the body of the receiver and the other to the Earth/Ground pin of the electrical socket!

I tried using a 3pin to 2pin socket and that didn't work.

Thanks
Srikanth Koka
post #560 of 1355 Old 09-23-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Try plugging both your PC and your receiver into the same outlet (here in US there's 2 plugs per outlet). You could also be picking up EF inteference from a case fan or similar. Try disconnecting fans momentarily to see if it eliminates it.

Its not a receiver issue for sure.

post #561 of 1355 Old 09-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

Both the receiver and the PC are connected to the same wall plate and all the sockets on the wall plate are connected to the same phase. Anyway, I will try connecting to the same outlet. I know for sure that the source of the problem is my analog cable TV connection. When I remove the cable connection to the PC the humming sound goes away. Also my other TVs in the house show horizontal bands moving upwards on some channels that have weak signals.

Would a Video Isolater / Ground Loop Isolater from US work in India. Here we have 220V/50Hz. Are these isolators frequency specific?

Thanks
Srikanth Koka
post #562 of 1355 Old 09-24-2007, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

If no one can answer your question, you might want to try posting in:
Home A/V Distribution & Networking

You'll get a broader audience.

post #563 of 1355 Old 09-25-2007, 03:48 AM
Advanced Member

I seem to have run into a new problem. I was using 7.1 ch. input yesterday (through HTPC). Today when I turned on the SR7001 to my surprise the input selector does not change to any other source. Even using the Remote is not helping. '71. CH. INPUT' blinks a couple of times and then nothing happens. I am not getting any sound out of the 7.1 CH. INPUT.

Any idea what could be wrong? Also, is there a way of resetting the receiver to factory defaults?

Thanks
Srikanth Koka
post #564 of 1355 Old 09-25-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoka123 View Post

I seem to have run into a new problem. I was using 7.1 ch. input yesterday (through HTPC). Today when I turned on the SR7001 to my surprise the input selector does not change to any other source. Even using the Remote is not helping. '71. CH. INPUT' blinks a couple of times and then nothing happens. I am not getting any sound out of the 7.1 CH. INPUT.

Any idea what could be wrong? Also, is there a way of resetting the receiver to factory defaults?

Not sure about the 7001 series, but on my old SR7200, if you select the 7.1 ch. input, (which has it's own button on the front separate from anything else, you can also turn it on and off via the remote on mine) it won't let you select any thing else until you deselect 7.1 input by pushing the button again (mine also flashes "7.1 CH. INPUT", I think in an attempt to tell you that's why it's not selecting anything else, but it's not all that clear, especially when it happens for the first time).
post #565 of 1355 Old 09-25-2007, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Hi DrOct,

Thanks for the information. After struggling for 4 hours I figured it out by accident. Wish they had it documented in the manual. This is so frustrating that once you get in to this situation you will remember it for a long time.

Thanks
Srikanth Koka
post #566 of 1355 Old 09-25-2007, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
does the 8001 have to use HDMI in order to get 7.1?

i have all video (from dvd players and DISH) running thru my Lumagen HDQ scaler and all audio going to the 8001 via optical or digital coax

or do i need to run audio and video thru the 8001 with HDMI only?

thanks!

brad

JVC RS1
Marantz 8001
Lumagen HDQ
Toshiba XA2 dvd player
soon! BR player (PS3 or stand alone)
post #567 of 1355 Old 09-26-2007, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitmore View Post

i have all video (from dvd players and DISH) running thru my Lumagen HDQ scaler and all audio going to the 8001 via optical or digital coax

I dont know of a 7.1 format/source that exists on spdif.
post #568 of 1355 Old 09-26-2007, 04:33 AM

I have several problems with my SR-7001, which I bought in January.

I got the receiver hooked up with HDMI to a Sharp LC-37GE1E 1080p display.

To the receiver I have a Samsung Digital HD cable receiver (HDMI), Marantz DV-7600 dvd player (HDMI), Playstation 3 (HDMI), Xbox 360 (component) and Nintendo Wii (component).

The only devices with no trouble are the PS3 and the DVD player, which work flawlessly through HDMI. The others have several issues.

When using the samsung cable receiver with HDMI, the audio doesn't work for anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes, after that it goes on and works flawlessly. Also, I have the cable receiver at 480p, since the image goes intermittent with higher resolutions. I also tried the receiver with component and optical, the audio works better, but the picture gets more intermittent with many blacks and snowy in between.

When using the Xbox 360 through component on 1080i, it usually works fine, but now and then there are severe issues. For instance, when playing certain games, the image sometimes disappears, but the audio continues. Especially when playing online (and pausing is not an option) this gets very very irritating, to the fact that I've had to hook my xbox up directly to the TV (which has no problems with the signal).

Finally, with the Wii on 480p, the image gets really grainy, and there's all sorts of jittering on the screen. Also, very annoying, but unsolvable since my TV only has 1 component input, used by the Xbox.

So, all in all, I'm very disappointed with this receiver, and am looking to trade it in for a denon 3808.
post #569 of 1355 Old 09-26-2007, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

I dont know of a 7.1 format/source that exists on spdif.

sorry, i'm kinda new to SPDIF

so its a way to transfer audio without taking it from analog to digital back to analog?

what uses SPDIF?...the XA2 player?...the 8001?

does this mean i DO have to run all HDMI thru the 8001?

thanks again!
post #570 of 1355 Old 09-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhitmore View Post

sorry, i'm kinda new to SPDIF

so its a way to transfer audio without taking it from analog to digital back to analog?

what uses SPDIF?...the XA2 player?...the 8001?

does this mean i DO have to run all HDMI thru the 8001?

thanks again!

SPDIF - Sony/Philips Digital Interface (or Interconnect) Format

Both your XA2 and the 8001 use SPDIF

The SPDIF out might be labeled on your XA2 player as Coxial/Digital or Optical out. As far as I know they max they can output is 5.1 audio.

For 7.1 you would have to use either HDMI or 7.1 analog out from your XA2(if it support that) and input to the 7.1 input of the 8001.

Thanks
Srikanth Koka
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page