Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1357 Old 11-22-2007, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post

I just took a look at my manual and didn't see anything.

but here's how it works...

You treat each pair of terminals on the speaker as an independant speaker. So say the front mains will power the tweeter and the surround amps will power the woofer.

yes that sounds right to me too - i downloaded a PDF file which shows a little diagram on how to connect it to make it bi-amp -- its called - Speaker C - -

did you look at the manual for SR7002/8002 -- thats the one i seen it in - for now i am not going to go crazy over it - i will enjoy it with my Klipsch at least till next year sometime - since i havent really listened to music the correct way lately - now i am back into the audio end and want to enjoy just music hopefully soon - looks like i will have everything ready before i get the marantz in - taking a while - if you want to email me at - Expresso4712@aol.com - i can send it to you -
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1357 Old 11-23-2007, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloz2 View Post

I just took a look at my manual and didn't see anything.

but here's how it works...

You treat each pair of terminals on the speaker as an independant speaker. So say the front mains will power the tweeter and the surround amps will power the woofer.

And since it's coming from the same amp, I'm not sure what the benefit will be. I'm 99.99% sure no one will be able to tell the difference in a double blind test.

Thanks,
Hansang
post #723 of 1357 Old 11-24-2007, 12:16 AM

Liked: 10
Hi!
I am considering to buy the Marantz 8002. My only concern is the long HDMI cables I need. My Player (HTPC) would be connected via a 10m (33 foot) cable to the receiver, the projector via another 15m (50 foot) hdmi cable. The cables are not high end.
Anyway, most receivers nowadays have scalers or other functions, so I assume that the signal is repeated in the receiver (For example the Rotel 1058 i also consider buying).
Is the Marantz 8002 also a repeater or just a switch, meaning that I would have to add the 10+15m cable-length, thus risking decrease of signal quality?

Maybe somebody could answer this.
with best regards
mariachi76
post #724 of 1357 Old 11-24-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansangb View Post

And since it's coming from the same amp, I'm not sure what the benefit will be. I'm 99.99% sure no one will be able to tell the difference in a double blind test.

the amp channels are different regardless of what receiver/amp you use. Better receivers/amps are like using separate amps for each pair of speakers. Regardless of if you can hear the difference or not the speakers will be getting more power, so at low volume differences will be hard to distinguish, but at higher volumes the difference would be more clear, especially with a good amp.

so technically you're only partially correct. it all depends on the amp used.
post #725 of 1357 Old 11-24-2007, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by expresso712 View Post

hi - do you have a marantz unit also ? -- for now i am going to use my Klipsch - i love klipsch sound thats for sure - but the ones i have - i cant bi-amp them - and i am only going to use the marantz for a 5 channel surround and want to bi-amp the other two channels - plus i get to try out a different sound - maybe i might like it better - but i do want the bass - i am used to the Klipsch bass - and i am trying to not add a sub. - so would like my fronts to be clean and deep - i have the 683 in mind and the paradigm M11 v5 -- if there are other brands you can recommend me to check out - let me know - the speakers for sometime next year - in the meantime i want to enjoy my Klipsch with the marantz for a while -- i been using my Klipsch from a little amp i had which is not that bad - its not high end but if anyone remembers - Soundcraftsman - i still have one of those 2 channel amps that sounds pretty good - its a solid heavy little amp - its been working since i got it new almost 15 years ago - i cant even believe it - one thing you have to agree - Made in the USA - means something - i kept it as a back up if ever needed -

would you know the Headroom the marantz SR7002 amps have ?

I am currently running the 7001, and sorry, I don't know the headroom or even know where to find that spec.
post #726 of 1357 Old 11-24-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Since this is the official thread, hoping to get an official answer. Confused even after reading the manuals. For the 7002 & 8002, what is the video up conversion capability (searches have come up dry).

Time base correction of 480i/480p signals are mentioned repeatedly, but not upconversion to 1080p anywhere. I think I even read pass thru of 1080p, but this should be clearer on the web pages and manual (IMHO)

Hopefully this is an easy question for each model.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #727 of 1357 Old 11-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

Since this is the official thread, hoping to get an official answer. Confused even after reading the manuals. For the 7002 & 8002, what is the video up conversion capability (searches have come up dry).

Time base correction of 480i/480p signals are mentioned repeatedly, but not upconversion to 1080p anywhere. I think I even read pass thru of 1080p, but this should be clearer on the web pages and manual (IMHO)

Hopefully this is an easy question for each model.

There is not a video upconversion feature on the 7002/8002. These receivers will transcode analog signals to hdmi but that is the only "upconversion" that they provide. Otherwise they just output whatever video signal is input to the receiver.
post #728 of 1357 Old 11-24-2007, 03:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoree View Post

There is not a video upconversion feature on the 7002/8002. These receivers will transcode analog signals to hdmi but that is the only "upconversion" that they provide. Otherwise they just output whatever video signal is input to the receiver.

Thank you for the unambiguous answer. Very helpful.

Tim

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #729 of 1357 Old 11-24-2007, 09:46 PM

Liked: 17
Hello all:

I am considering the Marantz SR7002 vs the Integra DTR-7.8. Any strong opinions out there? I am concerned that the Marantz has a THX Select2 certification vs the Integra's THX Ultra2. I read up on THX certification and this seems to have to do with room size ratings. I have heard the Marantz and it sounded very good. My dealers seems to be pushing the Integra.

Thanks!

post #730 of 1357 Old 11-25-2007, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I just demo'd 7001 and 8.8 at a dealer. The thing that struck me is the Integra had to have been at least 50 degrees hotter. Don't know about the 7.8 but I've read all the Onkyos run hot. They aren't stocking the 02s until they move all their 01s...they too seemed to be pushing Integras.

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #731 of 1357 Old 11-25-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS@Marantz View Post

Thats a personal preference question... depending on your ear you may not loose anything.
And just because the SR9600 will not decode those signals internally doesnt mean that it will not be able to play the signals that are passed along from the source device using the 7.1 ch input.
My suggestion... go and listen to the SR8002, or better yet, talk with a local dealer and see if he will let you demo one in your home for a week to do some A/B testing. The only way you'll really know if you want something is to go out yourself and see and hear it.
Also... keep an eye out for things at CES, Marantz is always coming out with new products, quite possibly one of them might fit your needs

Hi,

Thanks for all your help! I bought the SR8002 from AVS and it sounds great..
I did an A/B comparison and feel that the 9600 is a little bit more warmer while the 8002 is brighter... The details on the movies sound really good on the 8002.. The 9600 sounds a little bit more sophisticated... Also, a big plus is the inclusion of the Audissey Eq. in the 8002, it is simply amazing how can you expand the sweetspot... For the SACD/DVD-A playback I am using the 7.1 analogs on the player and sounds outstanding...

Christian

My DVD and Blu Ray collection

JVC RS65, ST 130, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103,PS Audio Power Plant Premier,Darbee Darblet
post #732 of 1357 Old 11-25-2007, 06:07 PM

I've searched, but cannot find out what the mini-plug size is for the trigger output on a SR7001.

I'm guessing that it is 3.5mm....anyone know the answer?

While I'm at it, what is a good place to find a trigger cable?

Thanks
post #733 of 1357 Old 11-25-2007, 10:51 PM

Hi,
First of all, I wasn't sure whether its the right forum for my question. I have posted the same question in the speakers forum but thought would get better inputs from the marantz owners in this forum. I am a newbie and this is my first hometheater system.

Recently ordered Marantz SR4001. Could anyone suggest me the speakers that would match with this receiver. I am looking at setting up a 5.1 system. My budget is around $800-$1000. Will be mainly using it for movies. Thanks in advance.
post #734 of 1357 Old 11-26-2007, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh22l View Post

Hi,
First of all, I wasn't sure whether its the right forum for my question. I have posted the same question in the speakers forum but thought would get better inputs from the marantz owners in this forum. I am a newbie and this is my first hometheater system.

Recently ordered Marantz SR4001. Could anyone suggest me the speakers that would match with this receiver. I am looking at setting up a 5.1 system. My budget is around $800-$1000. Will be mainly using it for movies. Thanks in advance.

you can get a complete 5.1 setup for under your budget from av123. They are having great deals on their x-series today if you check the forums.
post #735 of 1357 Old 11-26-2007, 06:18 AM

I just pulled the trigger on a refurbed 7001. I was under the impression that it would pass 1080p from my PS3 and Xa2 while sending the PCM for the hd audio codecs from bluray and hd-dvd. But now, from reading these threads, I'm discovering problems with this but I can't find a definitive answer.

Can anyone tell me if the 7001 will pass 1080p from these devices while transmitting the PCM as well?
post #736 of 1357 Old 11-26-2007, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisoner655321 View Post

I just pulled the trigger on a refurbed 7001. I was under the impression that it would pass 1080p from my PS3 and Xa2 while sending the PCM for the hd audio codecs from bluray and hd-dvd. But now, from reading these threads, I'm discovering problems with this but I can't find a definitive answer.

Can anyone tell me if the 7001 will pass 1080p from these devices while transmitting the PCM as well?

Mine does
post #737 of 1357 Old 11-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisoner655321 View Post

The 7001 will process the PCM audio signal and pass the 1080p video signal.

Transmitting to where? It will process and output sound from your theater speakers but it will also strip the audio from the pass HDMI stream so your TV will not be putting out sound. If must have audio from both your TV and your stereo you will need to run multiple outs from (HDMI and optical) from your XA2, but bear in mind your PS3 does not allow for this. (And not sure if your XA2 does, but that config was available on my recent model Sony upconverting DVD player).
post #738 of 1357 Old 11-26-2007, 03:51 PM

I guess I misunderstood the complaint I read in the owners thread and earlier in this thread. It sounded as if you could not both pass 1080p and process PCM audio. That it was an either/or sort of thing.

I don't need to have the sound go to my display. I just need to get the trueHD and DTS-HD through PCM and pass the 1080p video to my TV.
post #739 of 1357 Old 11-26-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariachi76 View Post

Hi!
I am considering to buy the Marantz 8002. My only concern is the long HDMI cables I need. My Player (HTPC) would be connected via a 10m (33 foot) cable to the receiver, the projector via another 15m (50 foot) hdmi cable. The cables are not high end.
Anyway, most receivers nowadays have scalers or other functions, so I assume that the signal is repeated in the receiver (For example the Rotel 1058 i also consider buying).
Is the Marantz 8002 also a repeater or just a switch, meaning that I would have to add the 10+15m cable-length, thus risking decrease of signal quality?

with best regards
mariachi76

I have the 8002. Marantz prides itself on not altering the signal it gets, and the receiver doesn't scale. I doubt that there is a repeater, but I don't know that. Those are some long cable runs. I'm also running a 15m cable to my projector--no problems, but because of concern over the length, I opted for pricey 1.3-certified cable. (I know, I know, but it's a long run.) You say the cables aren't high end, but they may work just fine. At those lengths, you'll put them to a test. You're getting ready to invest a significant amount in a receiver. You might consider upgrading your cable also.
post #740 of 1357 Old 11-26-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariachi76 View Post

Hi!

with best regards
mariachi76

The 7002 and 8002 are both HDMI 1.3 repeater/switchers. The receiver should take the original signal, equalize and amplify it back out to your display devices. I don't know the exact distance at which the signal will travel without degradation but I think you might be pushing the extremes with a distance of 50ft. I've read a few things that say you will get an additional 100ft, but I haven't personally tested them. I wouldn't worry too much about the cable. The hdmi cable is delivering a digital signal, so either it delivers the signal or it doesn't. I think as the price of the cable goes up, the build quality goes up (i.e. the cable is usually a little more durable, etc) but a $10 cable and $100 cable should still deliver the same signal.
post #741 of 1357 Old 11-27-2007, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Anybody know if it will leave an analog signal alone in direct mode to avoid additional d/a/d/a cycles?

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #742 of 1357 Old 11-27-2007, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 7002 and 8002 are both HDMI 1.3 repeater/switchers. The receiver should take the original signal, equalize and amplify it back out to your display devices. I don't know the exact distance at which the signal will travel without degradation but I think you might be pushing the extremes with a distance of 50ft. I've read a few things that say you will get an additional 100ft, but I haven't personally tested them. I wouldn't worry too much about the cable. The hdmi cable is delivering a digital signal, so either it delivers the signal or it doesn't. I think as the price of the cable goes up, the build quality goes up (i.e. the cable is usually a little more durable, etc) but a $10 cable and $100 cable should still deliver the same signal.

I ordered a 50 foot HDMI calbe from bluejeanscables (around $120 if I remeber). As soon as they both get here (receiver and cable) I'll report back on what happens.

post #743 of 1357 Old 11-27-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet View Post

Anybody know if it will leave an analog signal alone in direct mode to avoid additional d/a/d/a cycles?

Marantz has a "Source Direct/Pure Direct" mode for analog audio inputs so that there is no additional processing. As for analog video, such as component inputs, I believe that the analog signal will be left alone as long as you utilize one of the analog video outputs. If you only send the video to your display via hdmi, then the analog video will be transcoded so that it can be passed over hdmi.
post #744 of 1357 Old 11-28-2007, 06:04 AM

I have a SR4001, and I'm trying to feed a 5.1 PCM signal from a Sharp Blu-ray player over HDMI. I can get sound from every format available (DD, dts, dts-HD core, TrueHD from my HD DVD player), but when I try to play an uncompressed 5.1 PCM soundtrack from a Blu-ray, I get sound only in the L/R mains and the sub. It's not the entire soundtrack in stereo, either; it's just the L/R channels (music, atmospheric sounds, etc.). All the speaker lights light up on the front panel display, but I only get the 2.1 sound.

I have tried switching out my HDMI cable, I fooled around with all the settings (BD and rec.) I could think of, and nothing worked. I also played my HD DVD player through both HDMI inputs, and it played fine. I had a Blu-ray player in this input before, and I never had a problem.

I returned the BD player and am waiting for a replacement, but the only suggestions I've gotten so far is that it's probably a receiver setting that is causing this. If that is so, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the culprit might be? I'll have to wait until I get my replacement unit, but hopefully I can get a head start here. Thanks.

"Too often, the Academy ignores movies that aren't good."
post #745 of 1357 Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Heller View Post

I have a SR4001, and I'm trying to feed a 5.1 PCM signal from a Sharp Blu-ray player over HDMI. I can get sound from every format available (DD, dts, dts-HD core, TrueHD from my HD DVD player), but when I try to play an uncompressed 5.1 PCM soundtrack from a Blu-ray, I get sound only in the L/R mains and the sub. It's not the entire soundtrack in stereo, either; it's just the L/R channels (music, atmospheric sounds, etc.). All the speaker lights light up on the front panel display, but I only get the 2.1 sound.

I have tried switching out my HDMI cable, I fooled around with all the settings (BD and rec.) I could think of, and nothing worked. I also played my HD DVD player through both HDMI inputs, and it played fine. I had a Blu-ray player in this input before, and I never had a problem.

I returned the BD player and am waiting for a replacement, but the only suggestions I've gotten so far is that it's probably a receiver setting that is causing this. If that is so, does anyone have any suggestions as to what the culprit might be? I'll have to wait until I get my replacement unit, but hopefully I can get a head start here. Thanks.

Dennis,

Try forcing your Sharp player to output nothing greater than 5.1 over PCM. I needed to take this action with my PS3 and 7001 in order to post process the signal, and now everything works like a charm.

You should see the player only light up 6 lights instead of the 7.
post #746 of 1357 Old 11-28-2007, 06:31 AM

I'm pretty sure the Sharp doesn't allow that adjustment, at least I haven't seen it as an option; however, there is some talk in the Sharp thread about the player "incorrectly flagging 5.1 PCM as 7.1 Discrete"; could that cause this issue?

post #747 of 1357 Old 11-28-2007, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Are you decoding TrueHD in the BD player so that it's also being sent in 5.1 PCM over HDMI? Is it only the "native" PCM tracks that are acting strange?

post #748 of 1357 Old 11-28-2007, 06:55 AM

I haven't tried a Blu-ray with TrueHD, but my HD DVD player set to PCM output played TrueHD soundtracks correctly through both HDMI inputs.

post #749 of 1357 Old 11-28-2007, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Heller View Post

I'm pretty sure the Sharp doesn't allow that adjustment, at least I haven't seen it as an option; however, there is some talk in the Sharp thread about the player "incorrectly flagging 5.1 PCM as 7.1 Discrete"; could that cause this issue?

That was definitely the problem I was having with my PS3. I could tell a 7.1/6.1 signal was coming from my PS3 (even I was supposedly outputting 5.1) because all (I have only six) speaker lights were lighting up.

When I forced my PS3 to a max output of 5.1 over HDMI PCM, my 7001 reverted to only displaying the 5 speakers lights when I was playing 5.1 material and post-processing options became available.
post #750 of 1357 Old 11-28-2007, 07:02 AM

D_Strasse, if that were the case with mine, wouldn't I also get six speaker lights? I'm at work now, but as far as I remember, only 6 lights total (5.1) lit up.

Edit: Sorry, I said "all" lights before, but I meant only the five speakers and the LFE light.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page