Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl001 View Post

Hi Folks,
I recently added a rear center channel to my marantz 8200 (with the software upgrade). If I set the receiver to "AUTO" each time it selects dolby digital or DTS, not DObly Digital EX or DTS-ES

How do I make the receiver do this?

Thanks,
Drew

The problem isn't with your receiver. Unfortunately, many DD-EX and DTS-ES films are not flagged that they have the rear channels and therefore your receiver will not detect it when auto is set. You have to manually cycle to the ES/EX decoding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1359 Old 03-02-2007, 06:26 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Ginovino,

I hate to say it but your dealer is probably right about sending the signal direct to the TV. Although, I don't agree with his attitude.

Every fixed panel TV has a video processor with a de-interlacer and scaler in it. The question is which has better video processing the TV or the receiver? Most receivers do not have very good de-interlacing and scaling and I would send the signals native format to the TV without any processing being done. Unfortunately, this is not convenient. To to do this you need to run a minimum of an HDMI, Component, and Composite cables to the display. This has the additional advantage of being able to calibrate each source at the TV, instead of having one calibration for all formats on one HDMI input.

If you have a Pioneer Elite or commercial Pioneer with key digital blade you will definitely get a better picture than going through any of the receivers you mentioned. The regular Pioneer plasmas would also do a better job than the receiver but not as big of a difference. I have set up the Anthem D2 and that certainly has better video processing than the Pioneer plasma or any of the receivers. I finid it a shame that you can spend 2K on a receiver that converts everything to HDMI but doesn't even have a decent video processor like faroudja that can be found in less than $200 DVD players.

Of the receivers you mention all have their issues but if SQ is most important I'd go with Marantz followed by Yamaha/Denon and finally Pioneer. Pick the one that best suites your needs, they are all good especially if you have a good room.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Thanks for the support!

I clearly understood the dealers point about the (my) Pioneer Elite 11140 likely having a considerably higher quality upscaler/deinterlacer than the onboard built into the Yamaha, Marantz, Denon or Pioneer top end units. (I envy your Anthem unit!!!)

Indeed, my 1140 has the ability to "fine-tune" the inputs. How many, I'm not sure. Currently, I have the HDMI 5 & 6 calibrated for (5)OPPO 981, (6) SA 8300HD STB.

The other 4 inputs (Component/S-video/Composite are untouched.

(FYI--The OPPO 981-HDMI finally has a review posted here... outstanding upscaler)

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages_b/OPPO_DV-981HD.html

As for my personal needs, In addition to the above, I will be adding a VHS player(s-video)plus 3 cables and maybe my Pioneer elite Laserdisc (component)4-5 cables. The Yamaha has very extensive switching abilities and allows all inputs to switch to all outputs in a matrix fashion. Thus, I can get a little improvement from my old VHS source material using the Scaler in the Yamaha(I think).

However, just the thought of the investment in all of those cables again! Fortunately, eveything will be behind doors covered in speaker mesh to allow air and IR / RF remote signals.

WOOF WOOF,

I commmented on LFE, only because you mentioned low output from your Sub via the Yamaha. If there is no problem, then let us kill any rumours NOW! No need to get bogus info out there with so much mis-information already existing. Even the experts can't agree!
post #93 of 1359 Old 03-03-2007, 09:23 PM

I too am having trouble hooking up a powered subwoofer.

I have a Paradigm Ultra Cube 12 powered sub.

When hooking it up to the preamp subwoofer output jack on the 7001 I am getting no sub reaction whatsoever.

For now I have the sub hooked up to the Center preamp out which generates plenty of sub action but probably the wrong kind.

It also did not detect a sub during the Audyssey, etc. when setting up the reciever and connecting it to the subwoofer output jack.

I will try the suggestions in this thread such as setting all speakers to small and sub to both, etc.

Quick Questions:

1) Hooking up a powered sub to the center preamp out is not a good idea I am guessing since it would be only working with center channel sound effects?

2) What should the subwoofer cut-off frequency be set at?
It ranges from 40hz-150hz. I ran the Audyssey sound test but I want to make sure I have the sub set right since it is an adjustable knob

3) Are there any other settings I need to adjust in the menus for the sub to work/be detected?

Thanks.

Jonathan
post #94 of 1359 Old 03-05-2007, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblHelix View Post

The problem isn't with your receiver. Unfortunately, many DD-EX and DTS-ES films are not flagged that they have the rear channels and therefore your receiver will not detect it when auto is set. You have to manually cycle to the ES/EX decoding.

Thanks! What is the affect if I enable this and the film is not encoded for it? Does my DVD player need to understand this? I have a Pioneer DV-45A.

Thanks Much!

-Drew
post #95 of 1359 Old 03-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Also, not sure why so many people are having sub trouble. I am getting strong sub output from my SR7001. I have listened to a bunch of Blu-Ray discs over HDMI as well as CD from optical, DVD from optical and just now a DVD-A over analog 5.1 and so far I am loving the way music and HT sounds on this receiver. Not one complaint yet.
post #96 of 1359 Old 03-07-2007, 06:18 AM

I have a video processor related question. I'm strongly considering a 7001 but I have some concern over what control the user has with all of this video processing/upscaling and the like.

As one of the posters above mentioned most tvs have video scalers and other processing wizardry built into them. I have a Pioneer pdp-5070 and an oppo 981 both of which have video upconverting/scaling/processing features.

To get right to the Marantz related question - is there any control over the processing on these units? I'm concerned that the more we process eventually things are going to go down hill and I'd like to have at least some control over whats going on.

Also is this video processing applied to HDMI direct inputs or just the component (or other source) conversion to HDMI.

Thanks for your time and everyones thoughts on this. Hopefully this doesnt seem like too silly of a question.

--matt
post #97 of 1359 Old 03-07-2007, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Zilch,

I run a DVDO VP-50 downstream of my 8001.

The Marantz does nothing more than convert S-vid and composite inputs to HDMI output. When it does convert, it also de-interlaces 480i to 480P. It's actually one of the few AVR's out that have limited video processing. You can also disable the convert feature if you wish...
post #98 of 1359 Old 03-08-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Has there been any recent update from Marantz on the SR7001's 7.1 LPCM capabilities?

I just got a price back from Jason @ AVS, and I was impressed, but the lack of 7.1 LPCM capability is gonna be pretty much a deal breaker for me.

-Josh Murrah
post #99 of 1359 Old 03-08-2007, 06:51 AM

i just got my PS3 and a copy of Crank. Played it in 6.1LPCM. When i switch on the menu option (select button on PS controller), it says weirdly that the audio source is 7.1PCM.

Anyway, FWIW i confirm that the rear surround speakers have ZERO output coming from them. so its just doing 5.1. Other 5.1LPCM blurays work fine (e.g. Tears of the Sun).

Man, i hope Marantz can get something going here cos i know that the Yammy 2700 handles 6.1/7.1 sources fine. Come on guys-dun break Marantz lover's hearts...
post #100 of 1359 Old 03-08-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, this has been confirmed several times now. I was mistaken a while back thinking THX was not a post processing format....but it is.

For the time being, just use a 7.1 matrixing format and you'll be pretty happy. It may not give you the "true" 7.1, but it does sound very good. I have Crank and it's got a great sound track.

Select either PLIIx or one of the THX options and give that a try.
post #101 of 1359 Old 03-08-2007, 04:37 PM

Hi mdrew - can i do that? I've been messing with the controls and i get "incompatible" when i try to toggle DD or DTS buttons on the remote. Or am i missing a step here?
post #102 of 1359 Old 03-08-2007, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you sure can. Make sure you are in M-Channel mode. At this point the little PCM box should be lit. You will be in 5.1. There will be NO little speaker icons in the "box". Don't worry, this is some sort of bug.

Then you just hit the surround mode button untill PLIIx shows. The display will have a +PLIIx after the M-channel. You can then select THX and you'll get a M-channel+PLIIx+THX.

Or, after you are in Multi Channel mode, select either THX-EX or THX2 and your display will show M-channel+THX.

In either mode, you will get matrixed 7.1 channel LPCM. It rocks too!

DTS is not selectable. The "uncompatable" display will come up.

Play with it some more and let me know if you still have problems. I'll walk you through it with more verbiage.

I like DD PLIIx unless I'm watching a movie with DTS. I normally have the 8001 set up for DD PLIIx so no matter what format the source sends, I always have PLIIx on the display. I do not use "Auto". If I do, I end up toggling through surround formats to get 7.1 back.
post #103 of 1359 Old 03-08-2007, 07:24 PM

Tks mdrew will try that later and see if i can toggle it.
post #104 of 1359 Old 03-09-2007, 05:46 PM

I had a thread started.. but this seems like the appropriate place to ask:

I just hooked my new CDP Marantz CD5001 to my SR7001. I noticed while listening to 2 separate cd's that the peak light on the receiver was flashing. I read the manual and the only thing it says is that the analog signal is greater than the internal level of precessing and to switch the receiver to ATT. This light does not flash on all CDs.

I was wondering is there something wrong with my receiver, cdp or connections or is it just the recording??

What is the cause?
post #105 of 1359 Old 03-09-2007, 06:36 PM

I've been reading the much larger thread related to the newest line of Marantz AVRs. I'm very close to pulling the trigger and have already contacted Jason at AVS about ordering one. I do have one final question i'm looking to get answered.

While i'm use to seeing issue surrounding hooking up video I have seen a lot of people reporting problems with unresponsive Subwoofers. These posts seemed to go unanswered with most people focusing on video switching issues.

I'm wondering if someone might address pitfalls with installing a subwoofer with a 7001 AVR. I'm interested in knowing how I can avoid these unresponsive subwoofer issues and if there are specific requirements during the self calibration phase that this receiver offers.
post #106 of 1359 Old 03-09-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilch321 View Post

I've been reading the much larger thread related to the newest line of Marantz AVRs. I'm very close to pulling the trigger and have already contacted Jason at AVS about ordering one. I do have one final question i'm looking to get answered.

While i'm use to seeing issue surrounding hooking up video I have seen a lot of people reporting problems with unresponsive Subwoofers. These posts seemed to go unanswered with most people focusing on video switching issues.

I'm wondering if someone might address pitfalls with installing a subwoofer with a 7001 AVR. I'm interested in knowing how I can avoid these unresponsive subwoofer issues and if there are specific requirements during the self calibration phase that this receiver offers.

Nine times out of ten, problems reported are due to operator error. I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in anything you read from users unless you are sure they know what the heck they are doing.

As far as MY Marantz, It has zero LFE issues. Sub responsivness has more to do with the sub than the receiver anyway. Some don't want to wake up. It's not the receiver's fault.
post #107 of 1359 Old 03-10-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew View Post

Yes, you sure can. Make sure you are in M-Channel mode. At this point the little PCM box should be lit. You will be in 5.1. There will be NO little speaker icons in the "box". Don't worry, this is some sort of bug.

Then you just hit the surround mode button untill PLIIx shows. The display will have a +PLIIx after the M-channel. You can then select THX and you'll get a M-channel+PLIIx+THX.

Or, after you are in Multi Channel mode, select either THX-EX or THX2 and your display will show M-channel+THX.

In either mode, you will get matrixed 7.1 channel LPCM. It rocks too!

DTS is not selectable. The "uncompatable" display will come up.

Play with it some more and let me know if you still have problems. I'll walk you through it with more verbiage.

I like DD PLIIx unless I'm watching a movie with DTS. I normally have the 8001 set up for DD PLIIx so no matter what format the source sends, I always have PLIIx on the display. I do not use "Auto". If I do, I end up toggling through surround formats to get 7.1 back.

ok i done the testing. If i select LPCM 6.1 audio option on the Crank menu, i cannot set any sort of matrixing, EX/PLIIx etc. It will just function as Multi CH 5.1. If i were to set it to the DD audio stream, then it is doable.

For LPCM 5.1 streams, no issue in doing the 7.1 emulation using EX/PLIIx etc.

i was just wondering if it is because the bandwidth of the audio info is way too high hence the 8001 cannot handle the load thus only allowing 5.1.
post #108 of 1359 Old 03-10-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapp! View Post

ok i done the testing. If i select LPCM 6.1 audio option on the Crank menu, i cannot set any sort of matrixing, EX/PLIIx etc. It will just function as Multi CH 5.1. If i were to set it to the DD audio stream, then it is doable.

For LPCM 5.1 streams, no issue in doing the 7.1 emulation using EX/PLIIx etc.

i was just wondering if it is because the bandwidth of the audio info is way too high hence the 8001 cannot handle the load thus only allowing 5.1.

Great finally someone who has replicated my situation. I am not sure how mdrew is able to apply EX/PLIIx to the 7.1LPCM stream. I can NOT apply EX or PLIIx either. I am not sure what the problem with marantz is, but I am guessing it could be fixed with a firmware update. That being said I am not holding my breath waiting for one....
post #109 of 1359 Old 03-10-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I don't know what to tell you two. It works for me on both Crank, RFOM and Descent.

My display will show M-C 5.1+PLIIx+MV
post #110 of 1359 Old 03-10-2007, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

Well I don't know what to tell you two. It works for me on both Crank, RFOM and Descent.

I managed to get the rear channel working with a 6.1 system on a 7001 as well with a PS3 running the 6.1 PCM soundtrack..

Pretty sure I posted my comments elsewhere in this forum.
post #111 of 1359 Old 03-11-2007, 12:44 AM

lol this is interesting indeed...i am gonna try changing HDMI ports etc. to try to get something worked out here. no idea what in the world is going on to know that we have similar receivers but cannot get it to work.

Any idea how to check what version the firmware is?
post #112 of 1359 Old 03-11-2007, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeezMFNutz View Post

Great finally someone who has replicated my situation. I am not sure how mdrew is able to apply EX/PLIIx to the 7.1LPCM stream. I can NOT apply EX or PLIIx either. I am not sure what the problem with marantz is, but I am guessing it could be fixed with a firmware update. That being said I am not holding my breath waiting for one....

Deez - u have a 7001 or 8001?
post #113 of 1359 Old 03-11-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:

mdrew - u owning a 7001 or 8001? I am wondering if this is a batch problem...
post #114 of 1359 Old 03-12-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I've got the 8001. So does Deez.

I need to mess around with mine some more today. Last night my son was playing RFOM and I could not get it to matrix the surround backs. I had no problem doing this before, so I was pretty surpised that to see "incompatable" scroll across the screen. I've been messing around with the EQ, but nothing else. I'll report back if I discover anything worth talking about.
post #115 of 1359 Old 03-12-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
There is usually an option on the Blu-ray player to downconvert high rez audio content. Make sure it is selected and you should be able to apply EX overthe 6.1/7.1 that is labled 5.1 PCM by the AVR.
post #116 of 1359 Old 03-12-2007, 11:44 AM

Hi all, I've been a longtime reader over here and recently picked up a SR-4001 receiver. When I perform the test tones from the receiver the surround left and right come out of the wrong speakers.
However when i perform test tones from my DVE disk on either my ps3 or my dvd player, it comes out of the correct ones.. is there something wrong with my receiver?

Also, when I was playing some movies from my ps3 in PCM the sound from the center speaker came out crackly, the only way i resolved this was by changing the PS3 outputs manually so that it didn't do the 7.1 ... Fortunately i only have a 5.1 setup on the system, so removing all of the 7.1 isn't too big a problem but I am concerned for the future when i do get a 7.1 setup.

Thanks everyone
post #117 of 1359 Old 03-12-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

There is usually an option on the Blu-ray player to downconvert high rez audio content. Make sure it is selected and you should be able to apply EX overthe 6.1/7.1 that is labled 5.1 PCM by the AVR.

Hmmmmm i gotta try that setting. I was messing around with it last nite and this came my mind if i were to change the HDMI sound output to bitstream, most probably i would be able to do the matrixing on 6/7.1.
post #118 of 1359 Old 03-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i feel like my brain has turned to mush looking for a new receiver. I have been reading too much. I might have these receivers confused but

can the 4001 or 7001 do True-HD ect.. over HDMI?
post #119 of 1359 Old 03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I spent about an hour messing with my 8001 again. I have no idea what happened, but the PS3 game, RFOM will no longer matrix. I'm baffled why I could get this sucker to play 5.1 Multi Channel + PPIIx before, but can not do it now. I deselected all the high rez PCM settings, but that did no good.

Out of fear that this machine suddenly became possessed, I put in both Crank and Descent and tried them again. Whew.. I can still get these two B/R movies to play Multi-Channel PCM + PLIIx or THX-E.

I'm at a loss to what happened with RFOM though and not sure what else to check. I haven't changed anything but some Audyssey settings. But, even when I disable the EQ, I still can't get this game to matrix to the surround back channels.
post #120 of 1359 Old 03-13-2007, 05:35 PM

I have a 4001 and am having trouble with my audio signal. I am using an HDMI cable from my cable box and lose sound on some stations and the PCM light flashes. If I change the station, I can sometimes get the sound back, but not always. Any ideas what is wrong?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page