Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1356 Old 04-16-2007, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

If you don't mind write Kevin back (or post his email address and I will gladly contact him) and ask him when this update took place (if you buy one built after such and such a date it already has the firmware update) and also ask him what button combinations you push to see which firmware is on a receiver.

With this information folks can check receivers before they take them home or check theirs at home to see what their options are.

You also might ask what procedure is for folks that already own the units and need them updated?

I am with you on this one. I bought my 8001 from Richard about a month ago and I would really like to know if my receiver has the new firmware update or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1356 Old 04-16-2007, 12:20 PM

I got another email and Kevin is getting all those answers from the tech team. Should have them shortly.
post #183 of 1356 Old 04-16-2007, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I spoke with Kevin today via email and it is actively being worked on. Stay tuned.

If I said more I'd have to shoot you all.

Richard
post #184 of 1356 Old 04-16-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfiend View Post

I got another email and Kevin is getting all those answers from the tech team. Should have them shortly.

Seems like Marantz is finally working on providing info regarding the lack of 7.1 LPCM support. I initially emailed Marantz with the owners circle website on 02.04.2007 and got a response from Kevin last week and again today. He is working on gathering the information, here is our email exchange:

Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 3:14 PM
Subject: Owner's Circle Email - Marantz Technical Support Request

Marantz USA Contact Us Form

Subject: technical_support
First Name: xxx
Last Name: xxxx
E-Mail: xxx
Address: xxx
xxx
City: xxx
State: xxx
Comments: Does the marantz 8001 support uncompressed 7.1 LPCM audio
streams? When I feed my 8001 a 7.1 uncompressed LPCM audio stream via
HDMI from my PS3 the AVR display only accepts multi-ch 5.1? What gives?
How can I obtain support for 7.1 LPCM streams?

--
Subject: RE: Owner's Circle Email - Marantz Technical Support Request

Did you get a response yet?

Thanks,

Kevin Zarow
--
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:46 PM
To: Kevin Zarow
Subject: Re: Owner's Circle Email - Marantz Technical Support Request

No response yet.

--
Ok, I will work with service and get a response...

Thanks,

Kevin Zarow
post #185 of 1356 Old 04-16-2007, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

As a dealer I would like to know how we are going to get the firmware updates to the customers. Hyperterminal?

Sunfire was cool how you could just play a CD via the digital audio in.
post #186 of 1356 Old 04-16-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Answers for all of this will be coming soon.

Richard
post #187 of 1356 Old 04-16-2007, 06:40 PM

All these flurry of replies excites my blood...cant wait to hear it...

Well at least you guys in the US will have a crack at it first - i have yet to know if my Singapore distributor for Marantz products will be able to do a firmware upgrade...
post #188 of 1356 Old 04-16-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfiend View Post

I just bought the 8001 and haven't even opened it yet and saw this forum and post. I emailed Marantz tech support and the VP of marketing replied to me:

My email:

The reply:

So don't fret, there is a firmware update.

Confirms my earlier suspicions that new units are shipping w a firmware that supports 6.1/7.1 or does PLIIx over 5.1 properly.
post #189 of 1356 Old 04-16-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSRichard View Post

Answers for all of this will be coming soon.

Richard

Richard,

Jason installed my 8001 so I would be an ideal canidate for testing out a potential firmware upgrade.....hint hint..
post #190 of 1356 Old 04-16-2007, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

When is the new 9 series coming out? What is the order of release for the hdmi 1.3 avr's?
post #191 of 1356 Old 04-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I was setting up my 4001 with an spl meter this morning and noticed (at least what I consider to be) an oddity. After setting all my speaker levels with the 4001's pink noise generator, I decided to see how the system would fare if I used my various mpcm sources for calibration. I have a PS3 on hdmi1 and a Toshiba HDA1 on hdmi2. For the HDA1 I used the audio calibration utility on Studio Canal Total Recall HD-DVD. It uses pink noise, same as the 4001. Everything matched up until the subwoofer came around. There was no output. I flipped over to the 7.1 channel input (I also have the HDA1 hooked up that way) and there I got pink noise from the subwoofer. I figured I'd try the same thing with the PS3 on hdmi 1, so I put in NIN:Beside You In Time. It doesn't have a pink noise utility on the Blu-ray, but it does have a Dolby utility to make sure your speakers are connected properly. I experienced the same behaviour, there was no output from the sub when using the utility.

Now if I play a disc on either player via mpcm/hdmi, there is no issue. The sub is active and output is fine. I'm just wondering why neither utility output to the sub over mpcm. Any thoughts?
post #192 of 1356 Old 04-17-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
you need to set up the m-ch pcm speaker calibration seperately than the regular set up menu. this is a great feature, but somewhat obscure to find. when you go into the surround menu, toggle through each mode and the speaker set up menu will appear. you should also notice that many share the same changes you make, but there is one that does not. I think it was muti-channel, or m-channel. i forgot which one, but you'll see it.
post #193 of 1356 Old 04-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew View Post

you need to set up the m-ch pcm speaker calibration seperately than the regular set up menu. this is a great feature, but somewhat obscure to find. when you go into the surround menu, toggle through each mode and the speaker set up menu will appear. you should also notice that many share the same changes you make, but there is one that does not. I think it was muti-channel, or m-channel. i forgot which one, but you'll see it.

I'll check it out later this evening. Thx!
post #194 of 1356 Old 04-17-2007, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSRichard View Post

I spoke with Kevin today via email and it is actively being worked on. Stay tuned.

If I said more I'd have to shoot you all.

Richard

That's OK, we are all wearing Kevlar!

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #195 of 1356 Old 04-17-2007, 03:35 PM

I was thinking about picking up a SR7500 or 8400 can anyone tell me if one of these is better than the other? Or the pros and cons of each unit. I cant seem to find much info on either one of these units.

Thanks
Ryan
post #196 of 1356 Old 04-17-2007, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Sxrd55,

Those receivers re from 2005 and discontinued. Go to www.marantz.com for the latest. They would be the SR4001, SR5001, SR6001 (new), SR7001 and SR8001. All are very very good.

PM me if you need more details.

Richard
post #197 of 1356 Old 04-17-2007, 09:39 PM

Hi there, i have been enjoying my Marantz 7001 for a few months but a weird thing has been happening ever since i set it up. During loud scenes or when i turn up the volume to anything above -20 (like around -15) the receiver will shut off and flash "PROTECT". It reboots after 10secs or so to a much lower volume (around -45).

i understand that it has a built in protect feature but it's really annoying. It's not even that loud. I had people over for the super bowl and every 10 or 15 min if there was a really good play or during the half time show, BAM, thing would shut off. very annoying.

is this a power issue? volume issue? i don't think its heat related cause i can cause the problem everytime yet if i leave it above -20 it wont EVER shut off.

thanks. =)
post #198 of 1356 Old 04-18-2007, 04:41 AM

Liked: 53
Protect mode often happens because of a short or near short. Redo all your speaker connections at the receiver and the speakers and see if that works. Also, check the other wiring that nothing else is shorting in particular any going across the speaker terminals.

Hope this helps.

Bob
post #199 of 1356 Old 04-19-2007, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Someone jinxed me here. My 8001 shut down once last week and I didn't pay much attention to it because we have a lot of brown outs where I live. then I read these posts yesterday and sure enough last night, the dam thing shut down again. I looked back at the receiver (my rack is behind me) and "PROTECT" was on the display. WTF was the first thing coming to my mind because I wasn't even cranking it. Volume was pretty low ( around 65 db / -30 ).

I checked all my connections and couldn't find anything wrong. About ten minutes later, it did it again. Now I'm getting pissed. I moved the power from the power conditioner to the battery back up thinking the conditioner could be the culprit, but no....it shut down again. Dammit!! if it isn't one thing with my electronics, it's something else.

I have an email to Marantz Tech. I guess I'll find out what the heck's wrong with this thing eventually.
post #200 of 1356 Old 04-19-2007, 07:24 AM

im with ya...im gonna send it off for service...takes 2-4 weeks ugh...
post #201 of 1356 Old 04-19-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
With 8 ohm speakers, I am pretty surprised by this. But alas, I use all external amplification, so I should be immune to such issues with my SR7001.
post #202 of 1356 Old 04-19-2007, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew View Post

Someone jinxed me here. My 8001 shut down once last week and I didn't pay much attention to it because we have a lot of brown outs where I live. then I read these posts yesterday and sure enough last night, the dam thing shut down again. I looked back at the receiver (my rack is behind me) and "PROTECT" was on the display. WTF was the first thing coming to my mind because I wasn't even cranking it. Volume was pretty low ( around 65 db / -30 ).

I checked all my connections and couldn't find anything wrong. About ten minutes later, it did it again. Now I'm getting pissed. I moved the power from the power conditioner to the battery back up thinking the conditioner could be the culprit, but no....it shut down again. Dammit!! if it isn't one thing with my electronics, it's something else.

I have an email to Marantz Tech. I guess I'll find out what the heck's wrong with this thing eventually.

Check if it shuts down with no speakers connected.
post #203 of 1356 Old 04-19-2007, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Darian,

I'm not patient enough to sit there and wait for the thing to trip on me. Without sound, I'd have no other way to verify it was shutting down than staring at the display. It powers down for about ten seconds, and then comes back on.

Marantz wants me to send it in to their main service center in Illinois. I'm trying to get them to replace it so I don't have to dump some serious money on air freight back and forth, plus at least six weeks of down time. It gets expensive shipping things back and forth to Alaska. It's all second day air. And second day air to me in really more like ten days. - the inconveniences of living with the bears and otters in the wilderness.

John,

Depending on what is causing this shut down issue, you may or may not be out of the woods. It would depend on what's causing it. Or, it may just be a coincidence that two of us are reporting this problem. But then again, I never did put much faith in coincidences.
post #204 of 1356 Old 04-20-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
True... I would be very curious as if your units shut down with no speakers connected or not though.
post #205 of 1356 Old 04-20-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, it's getting weirder....

Last night after about 20 minutes watching some recorded show on the magic boob tube, the receiver shut down. The display didn't show anything. Stupid thing just shut itself off. I had to power it back on with the remote.

After that I got in a position to watch the silly thing with a martini in hand and nothing happened. It just hummed along happy as a pig in sh**. I popped a BR movie into the PS3 and cranked it up to around -10 (90 db'ish). Nothing, it didn't shut down or whimper once through the whole movie.

I'll play with it some more this weekend and if it does start to act up again, I'll disconnect the speakers. I built all my cables and ran all my speaker wire in conduit and then soldered the box terminations, spades and banana jacks, so I know there's nothing wrong with the wires. My speakers all sound fine so I doubt I've blown a driver. I'm open to the possibility that something is wrong with my wires or speakers though.

Marantz emailed me back. They will only exchange units under 30 days of purchase or if it has "multiple problems". I wonder if no 7.1 PCM support counts?

Oh well. Looks like I'm going to have to try Denon or just pony up for that AMV-40 I've been eye-balling. It's too bad because I sure like the way this Marantz sounds. I won't have something on my rack for long that has issues like this though. I went through this crap with HK already. Not again..
post #206 of 1356 Old 04-20-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4vidfan View Post

I have input SACD sources from the PS3 that are stereo and/or multi channel. If the SACD light is on, no sound output. If I stop playback and restart, the AUTO selects MTX and sound comes out all 8 speakers for Multi channel SACD. Stereo SACD sources show 176Khz Stereo and will matrix though to 6.1 using AUTO to show "Multi-CH 5.1",in the display THX and DTS modes.

Same syndrome here. If DSD light is on, no sound output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4vidfan View Post

Notes that may address "squealing" issues.
I noticed high pitched noise when ALL formats were manually checked for PS3 audio output. Selecting "Automatic" and allowing the PS3 to select only certain output options eliminated this issue.

I have this problem a bit differently. If I have even one multichannel PCM mode selected, there is noise from all speakers. Tried my PS3 with Yamaha receiver, and it did not have this problem. Today I noticed that the noise is gone when I pause a SACD with PCM mode showing in the receiver.
post #207 of 1356 Old 04-20-2007, 09:48 PM

Whats the difference between sr7001 and sr8001? Besides the wattage?
post #208 of 1356 Old 04-21-2007, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhead View Post

Whats the difference between sr7001 and sr8001? Besides the wattage?

8001 has a Toroidal power transformer and the 7001 has a El power transformer, 8001 has 2 HDMI outputs where as the 7001 has only 1, chassis on the 8001 is copper plated and the 7001 is metal, multi-room out the 8001 does both composite and component and the 7001 is only composite. If you go to this link you can compare both side by side

http://us.marantz.com/Products/172.asp

Hope that helped you
post #209 of 1356 Old 04-21-2007, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

8001 has a Toroidal power transformer and the 7001 has a El power transformer, 8001 has 2 HDMI outputs where as the 7001 has only 1, chassis on the 8001 is copper plated and the 7001 is metal, multi-room out the 8001 does both composite and component and the 7001 is only composite. If you go to this link you can compare both side by side

http://us.marantz.com/Products/172.asp

Hope that helped you

Okay thanks, but whats so special about Toroidal power transformer? What does it do exactly?
post #210 of 1356 Old 04-22-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

True... I would be very curious as if your units shut down with no speakers connected or not though.

Had the same problem with my 7001. Episodically, with no rhyme or rhythm, it would just shut off with the Protect on the display. Sometimes it would let me turn it back on immediately, sometimes not. Sometimes it would play without problems for hours after being turned back on. Sometimes it would shut down immediately or within minutes.

My dealer told me I had a short somewhere. Nothing in my system had changed since i replaced my old preamp with the SR7001 which I am using as a preamp. Rather than running through all the wiring, I disconnected all the connections and placed the unit on my kitchen table and left it on until it turned itself off again. At that point the dealer had me bring it in for a new one. So far so good with new one.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page