Official AVSForum Marantz question thread. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1357 Old 02-12-2007, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all,

This thread is for posting questions regarding current Marantz receivers. Questions should be specific enough like "how do I pass LPCM 7.1 through my PS3 to my Marantz SR8001?" and so forth.

Kevin, the VP of MArketing is setting up a test lab in order to recreate issues our members have with their receivers and third party products.

Please note, this will take some time to get answers but they are being worked on.

RULES:

Please only post questions regarding specific issues with Marantz receivers. Please refrain from bashing or askinjg about future products as I've been told it's not Marantz's poplicy to comment on unreleased products.

These posts will be sent by me to Kevin directly and their engineers and managers will attempt to solve them and educate all of us. Kevin and members of Marantz have also volunteered for a live Q & A Session in the near future.

Let the posting begin.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1357 Old 02-12-2007, 05:45 PM

What's the difference between Marantz and Denon with both having the same parent company?
post #3 of 1357 Old 02-12-2007, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
How about a "List" of which receivers are considered current.

Tim
post #4 of 1357 Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Marantz is as different from Denon as Panasonic is from Pioneer. They are held by the same company, but they are not run by the same people.

SR4001
SR5001
SR7001
SR8001
SR9600

Richard
post #5 of 1357 Old 02-12-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSRichard View Post

Marantz is as different from Denon as Panasonic is from Pioneer. They are held by the same company, but they are not run by the same people. Richard

OK, but as the saying goes, BS walks. All kidding aside one has to be marketed one way vs. the other, right? I.E. For yrs. Marantz was considered more a fidelity brand than some others. Myself knowing nothing much I'd even probably recommend to a friend to get a Denon for features and a Marantz for sound. Would I be way!!!! off in saying that?
post #6 of 1357 Old 02-12-2007, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
to me looks like it is techical issue of pcm 7.1 non compatibility than omission of feature!

I had to unfortunately cancel my 7001 as non hdmi 1.3 plus pcm incpability was too much of a liability
post #7 of 1357 Old 02-13-2007, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

zoro thanks for the input, but there isn't a lot you can order with HDMI 1.3 now.

Guys, this is for asking questions about sepcific technical issues regarding Marantz receivers and third party products. Most of the issues int he threads are regarding HDMI and PCM audio. If you want Marantz to answer them, ask them here.

serrada, there are many reasons to buy Marantz over Denon. Marketing aside you should listen to each receiver and pick the one that sounds best to you as your friend should do the same. With that said, Marantz packs a ton of features into their receivers along with a very good soundstage and reproduction of not only musical audio, but home theater surround formats as well. They are very well built as well.

Richard
post #8 of 1357 Old 02-13-2007, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would like an explanation of the DSP, M-CH-Stereo and the difference between M-CH-Stereo Music -vs- Movie?

It certainly is not like Multi-Channel stereo us older AVR owners were used to is all.
post #9 of 1357 Old 02-13-2007, 06:32 AM

Hello Everyone, I have a question about Marantz Warranty. Accessories4less-Marantz authorized online dealer-is advertising SR8001 receiver for $1399.99 but the warranty is only one year. Marantz web side refers to 3 year warranty. Can you please explain that to me? Thanks. Stan
post #10 of 1357 Old 02-13-2007, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Ask about a future SR9001 and ask that it have HDMI 1.3 (w/decoding of the HD audio formats) as well as more analog inputs. I noticed the SR8001 lost the "CD" input altogether from the SR8500. Hopefully this won't be the same for the SR9001. I still use a CD player and turntable, and don't want to use up 2 of my audio-video inputs for them.

The Yamaha RX-V2700 manages to have a suitable number of analog audio inputs (PHONO + CD + TAPE (I/O) + CD-R (I/O) + remaining AV inputs)...can't see why Marantz couldn't do the same.
post #11 of 1357 Old 02-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Will the 9600 model do the 10db LFE boost needed over hdmi? I wanted to double check that before I pursued this one any further.

Also, are there plans to update their 9600 model this year with 1.3 and DD THD and DTS MA-HD?
post #12 of 1357 Old 02-13-2007, 01:27 PM

Hi,
I have an SR8500 that recently developed a problem. Any time I use the 7.1 input, the amp goes into "protect" mode and reboots It happens with either my Onkyo 802 dvd player or output from Auzentech X-Meridian. It works fine with all other inputs. I've done a hard reset, disconnected power for 30 minutes, checked all the interconnects, swapped cables. I'm bi-wiring the L/R paradigm studio 40's. It's been working fine for 2 years and suddenly developed this symptom. Any ideas? Any help at all would be very much appreciated.

db
post #13 of 1357 Old 02-13-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I already sent Marnatz an email describing my issues, but will note them here as well.

I have a Marantz SR 8001
I am using a PS3 with firmware version 1.5 installed for Blue Ray playback.
I am using a HD-AX1 with updated firmware for HD/DVD
I am using an Oppo 970 via HMDI for SD/DVD playback at 480i.
I am using a VP-50 to send a 720P/60 feed to my projector via HDMI.

Discrete 6.1 / 7.1 LPCM issues.

When using the PS3, playing BR Movie Descent the following happens. ..verified audio stream by using the PS3 Display button. The following is noted on the display - Linear PCM 7.1 CH 48 kHz 6.1 mbps

If I leave the 8001 in Auto surround mode, the display will read M-CH 5.1. The little PCM indicator box is lit on the display as well. The Discrete 6.1 box IS NOT lit.

At this point, I have NO surround back activity (verified by physically placing hand on drivers).

I can use all other surround formats with the exception of DTS and Circle Surround. (Even DTS-ES works.) When I select any of these other surround formats, I get surround back activity.

I also bought the PS3 game, Resistance Fall of Man to experiment. (I'm not a gamer, although now I can see the attraction after playing it on a 96 screen).

The results are the same with this game as they are with the movie Descent.

I also noticed two other odd things when playing these two BR sources.

1) The speaker indicator box that normally has one or more lit, is completely blank.
2) When I play a DTS-6.1 discrete channel SD/DVD movie (Blade III for example), a small box lights up on the Marantz display. Inside this little box, reads Disc 6.1. I do not see this box lit when I try to play one of the LPCM 6.1 disks.

HDMI output switching

There is no simple way to change the HDMI outputs from one to the other. Tech support indicated that a firmware fix was going to resolve this, but they did not know if there would be a discrete IR command for it.

Speaker indicator box

This is a 7.1 channel receiver. I just don't get why this box only has room for a 5.1 set up. This would be a good upgrade.

Default volume setting

I can not find out how to set this receiver up to have a default volume level when it is first turned on. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think to turn the volume down if I have it cranked up to around 90 db's when watching a movie and turn the receiver off. Then I go to turn on the TV the next day and get the piss scared out me.

Independent channel adjust

To have the ability to set the X-over settings differently between speaker groups is an excellent feature. Both Denon and HK have this. Can Marantz add this with firmware?

Firmware installation

Many owners live great distances from authorized service centers. The ability to install firmware updates by the owner at home would be ideal. Taking this thing to my service center is a 300 mile (one way) trip. Then of course there is the several weeks wait to get it done. I might as well buy a second receiver than go through all this hassle. Also, not that many PC's / Laptops have an RS 232 or serial port anymore. They have USB. The firmware update installation method should take this into consideration. Some 232 to USB cables do not work well with some manufactures firmware installation.

Bit Rate Display

Most other receivers will show the audio source bit rate on the display. Unless I've missed something, I can't get this to display anywhere. Can this be added?
post #14 of 1357 Old 02-13-2007, 02:19 PM

Hi,

I've recently had a new issue with my 7001. I have an SA 8300HD PVR, which I have connected via component and optical (mainly because the PVR's HDMI connector isn't holding on to a cable anymore). My 7001 is connected to my Sony TV via HDMI --> DVI (with copy protection garbage, thus compatible with HDMI). The PVR is set to pass through the native resolution of the original signal.

For a good while, the setup was working just fine. Last week, though, I started getting an intermittent picture where I'd get perfect audio but the picture would either go black or to white snow. Changing the channel to a channel with a different resolution seems to fix the problem, but that's not an acceptable solution when using a PVR where I want to be able to rewind by staying on the same channel.

I presume this is a handshake issue, but why did it come up so suddenly after working for weeks?

I appreciate any help you can offer.
post #15 of 1357 Old 02-13-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Because HDMI is like this. I would do an unplug your display and device reset and bring it back up on the PVR, I'll bet if fixes the issue.
post #16 of 1357 Old 02-13-2007, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent outline of your issues MDrew. Same with everyone else.

Richard
post #17 of 1357 Old 02-13-2007, 08:56 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanVlna View Post

Hello Everyone, I have a question about Marantz Warranty. Accessories4less-Marantz authorized online dealer-is advertising SR8001 receiver for $1399.99 but the warranty is only one year. Marantz web side refers to 3 year warranty. Can you please explain that to me?

That's easy: the one year manufacturer's warranty is for B-stock or refurbished Marantz receivers. These are described as "Factory Certified by Marantz" on the Accessories4less web site. "Factory New" receivers have the full 3 year warranty. (By the way, a 1 year warranty isn't bad for refurbished, some manufacturers only offer a 90 day warranty on refurbished items.)
post #18 of 1357 Old 02-13-2007, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic icons View Post

That's easy: the one year manufacturer's warranty is for B-stock or refurbished Marantz receivers. These are described as "Factory Certified by Marantz" on the Accessories4less web site. "Factory New" receivers have the full 3 year warranty. (By the way, a 1 year warranty isn't bad for refurbished, some manufacturers only offer a 90 day warranty on refurbished items.)

The prices are considerably lower, also. I tend to purchase Marantz products refurbished, as they are usally around 60% of MSRP.
post #19 of 1357 Old 02-13-2007, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have a question about the DV9600 if that is OK. When you plug headphones in it mutes the I-Link output, is there any way to stop it doing this?
post #20 of 1357 Old 02-14-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Because HDMI is like this. I would do an unplug your display and device reset and bring it back up on the PVR, I'll bet if fixes the issue.

Can you explain in further detail? I don't understand what should be unplugged and what should be reset...for the benefit of myself and others that might be having this problem, I'd appreciate some clarification and I'll report back in a few days if the fix seems to have worked.

Thanks!
post #21 of 1357 Old 02-14-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian81 View Post

The prices are considerably lower, also. I tend to purchase Marantz products refurbished, as they are usally around 60% of MSRP.

off the point but their prices on 7001 right now $1400 same as msrp
post #22 of 1357 Old 02-14-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

RULES:

Please only post questions regarding specific issues with Marantz receivers. Please refrain from bashing or askinjg about future products as I've been told it's not Marantz's poplicy to comment on unreleased products.

These posts will be sent by me to Kevin directly and their engineers and managers will attempt to solve them and educate all of us. Kevin and members of Marantz have also volunteered for a live Q & A Session in the near future.

Let the posting begin.

Richard

Guys and gals,

Not trying to be a forum cop, but please remember why this string was created. As an owner, I'd like to see "issues" discussed and addressed by the manufacture, not where I can buy one or how much one costs. If there is no consideration to this, this string will soon have 1000+ posts of nothing to do with the topic like the majority of strings on these boards.
post #23 of 1357 Old 02-14-2007, 09:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countingbackward View Post

Can you explain in further detail? I don't understand what should be unplugged and what should be reset...for the benefit of myself and others that might be having this problem, I'd appreciate some clarification and I'll report back in a few days if the fix seems to have worked.

Thanks!

No real proceedure here. But I have had this crop up with my projector and various devices.

The projector seems to clear the HDCP and then when it is re-established with the problematic source(s) it seems to go away.

The problem described sure sounds like what happend to me one time. I can remember exactly how I powered back on though. I knwo I left the projector on the HDCP port with the issue, then powered AVR and Source sort of at the same time, I think I broght up the setup menu to and exited the setup and viola problematic source now was solid again with the HDMI / HDCP connection.

I've run into this with sources connected directly to various DVI-HDCP and HDMI connections even. What your describing seems at leats a little common with the digital HDCP connections anyways.
post #24 of 1357 Old 02-14-2007, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I just ran into another issue with the 8001.

I should clarify that. The issue may very well be me, and not the machine.

I don't know why this is happening or if it's something I'm doing, but I have lost my Audyssey EQ settings twice now. The first time I thought is was something I did, but now I'm not so sure because I can't figure out how to do it on purpose. I noticed that something just sounded different, so last night I pulled up the speaker settings, and sure enough, the EQ settings were all zeroed out again. Not the speaker settings, just the EQ settings. All my distances, X-over, and channel adjust levels are the same as I left them.

Twice now, I've ran Audyssey and then I go into manual setup to tweak things to my liking. After I finish, no problems and all settings stay put. But after a few days, something happens (whether it's something I've done or the machine) to zero these settings. Audyssey does some pretty weird stuff like adding twenty feet to my center channel distance and I've found that if I calibrate the speaker DB with a SPL meter after running auto setup, sound is improved slightly.

Is there something I'm doing to re-set' the Audyssey settings?
post #25 of 1357 Old 02-15-2007, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

despite the issue with pcm soundtracks, I did order a marantz through u guys, so Richard please find us a cure!! before I am disappointed man
post #26 of 1357 Old 02-15-2007, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

I"m working on it. These aqre going to Marantz tomorrow and we'll pick up the discussions with them next week. They are working on some of this but we'll go from there.

mdrew - thanks for keeping this on track and JOHNnDENVER for providing answers.

If you have more specific questions about features or pricing you can always PM me.

Richard
post #27 of 1357 Old 02-16-2007, 07:00 AM

Quote:

If you have more specific questions about features or pricing you can always PM me.

Richard

Gee I PM'ed you for a price on the sr7001 3 days ago and never got a response.
post #28 of 1357 Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post

Gee I PM'ed you for a price on the sr7001 3 days ago and never got a response.

It works best if you just call their main number (877-823-4452) and ask for a price quote. You'll get one in seconds and can also place your order at the same time if you like the price.
post #29 of 1357 Old 02-16-2007, 09:35 AM
hms

I got directed here from another thread for answers to these questions I have regarding these receivers . . .

1. Can the 7/8001 apply Dolby Pro Logic IIx to a 5.1 PCM signal received over HDMI? I'll be connecting most of my items that way, and don't want to invest in the 2 extra speakers if they are going to sit there silent most of the time.

2. Can the 7/8001 receive 8 channels of LPCM over HDMI and output that to all speakers of the 7.1 setup? i.e. properly reproduce a 7.1 track the way it was recorded when recieved over HDMI. I'm considering buying a PS3 for both games and Blu-Ray.

3. If the answer to 2. is yes, can they apply post processing to that signal before outputing it to the speakers? i.e. subwoofer volume levels or other "surround" modes.

4. Can I connect both the HDMI out and the component out to my TV, and have HDMI sources switched to the HDMI output and all other video sources switched to the component output? My TV will apply some picture "cleanup" processes to component inputs but not HDMI inputs, so there are analog sources I want arriving at the TV on the component inputs, but I have more component devices than TV inputs.

5. Does the Audessy MultiEQ change speaker volume levels too, or does it just change the "sound"?

Thanks for any and all answers.

hms
post #30 of 1357 Old 02-16-2007, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hms View Post

I got directed here from another thread for answers to these questions I have regarding these receivers . . .

1. Can the 7/8001 apply Dolby Pro Logic IIx to a 5.1 PCM signal received over HDMI? I'll be connecting most of my items that way, and don't want to invest in the 2 extra speakers if they are going to sit there silent most of the time.

2. Can the 7/8001 receive 8 channels of LPCM over HDMI and output that to all speakers of the 7.1 setup? i.e. properly reproduce a 7.1 track the way it was recorded when recieved over HDMI. I'm considering buying a PS3 for both games and Blu-Ray.

3. If the answer to 2. is yes, can they apply post processing to that signal before outputing it to the speakers? i.e. subwoofer volume levels or other "surround" modes.

4. Can I connect both the HDMI out and the component out to my TV, and have HDMI sources switched to the HDMI output and all other video sources switched to the component output? My TV will apply some picture "cleanup" processes to component inputs but not HDMI inputs, so there are analog sources I want arriving at the TV on the component inputs, but I have more component devices than TV inputs.

5. Does the Audessy MultiEQ change speaker volume levels too, or does it just change the "sound"?

Thanks for any and all answers.

hms

1) yes
2) this is harder to give a definitive yes/no answer to. There are no true 8 channel (7.1) LPCM sources to test with, and the few 7 channel (6.1) LPCM sources are difficult to see exactly what the 7/8001's are doing to it. Whatever they are doing, it is not consistent and I would have to say that they are not processing them as discrete channels.
3) They will post process 5.1 channel LPCM data streams to 7.1. Or I should say, mine will.
4) I don't really know. I haven't had reason to check. The Marantz does a pretty darn good job of converting S-video to HDMI though. It will not up convert.
5) Audessey, from my understanding anyway (and I'm no expert), works hand in hand with the receiver to determine all speaker settings. In other words, when you run the speaker auto set up, you don't have to do anything. The speaker distances, X-overs, DB settings and EQ are all done. If you don't like any of them, you can go into the manual set up and tweak everything and save that as a manual preset setting parameter.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Marantz

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page