Which Receiver should I use? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-15-2007, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys -

Bee lurking for a long time, and have been wanting to upgrade my system for a while. I'm thankfully moving to a long term career soon, and will be leaving Best Buy relatively soon. BUT, while I'm there, their is a quite nice Klipsch Accomodation program that I'm going to use before I leave. I'm going to be ordering a set of RF-62s, an RC-52, and an RW-10d, and my surrounds are going to be some older Klipsch bookshelves that I've been using as my fronts for a while.

My question is which receiver of these three do you think I should look at: Yamaha 6090, Denon 2307, Pioneer 81TXV. With these three, the Denon is sitting around $450, the Pioneer around $550, and the Yamaha around $650 (employee pricing). I was originally going o go with a Yamaha 5960, but was advised against it since it didn't have enough Amps to run everything appropriately.

So, with that said, which receiver should I look at the most? Or is there somewhere online where I could get one of these at a cheaper price than I have posted? I will not be needing the HDMI switching - only HDMI I'm using is my DVD player going to the TV, and an optical from there to the receiver.

I'll be using this system for about 40% TV/Movies, 40% Xbox 360, and about 20% Music from my ipod if that helps.

Current equipment: Samsung 4692, Samsung HD860 DVD player, with too much more to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-15-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I doubt you could find cheaper on line, and even if you did they would be from unathorized dealers so you wouldn't have a warranty. At those prices I would definatly get from the Best Buy. Of the three I would get the Pio, then the Denon, but that is just my preference. Can you get the Pio 82 for a good price, as that would be the best solution, IMHO

Also, out of curiosity, what is the employee pricing of the klispch? If you dont mind me asking.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-15-2007, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Well, this is directly through Klipsch, and not the employee discount if I were buying them directly from the store.

The accommodation price for the speakers is roughly 40% the original retail price (so, the $500 RW10 sub is $199.60)

The 82 is getting a bit more out of my price range, and is somewhere around $650-ish
post #4 of 14 Old 02-15-2007, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/538550710

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/538999334

De-interlacing explained:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rainbow effect? :

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lou
post #5 of 14 Old 02-16-2007, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Lou -

I was originally looking at the 5960, but was told that it wouldn't have enough Amps to power my RC-62 towers with the rest of the 5.1 system (all Klipsch).

Do you think that the 5960 would be sufficient, or would I be underpowering the speakers with it?
post #6 of 14 Old 02-16-2007, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have some input at all? I'm trying to narrow this down while my discount is still in effect....

Just a reiteration...

Purchasing a set of Klipsch RF-62s, an RC-52 Center, and an RW-10d Subwoofer, and my surrounds are going to be some older Klipsch bookshelves that I've been using as my fronts for a while.

I was told the Yamaha 5960 wouldn't have enough power for these, and was told to look at the 81VTX from Pioneer, Denon 2307, or a Yamaha 6090.

Anyone have any input?
post #7 of 14 Old 02-16-2007, 03:36 PM

I would lean toward the Yamaha (Denon would be my second preference). Klipsch speakers tend to efficient, and the 5960 puts out 110wpc. That should be plenty of power unless you like it unusually loud. I'm not sure why anyone would think that wasn't enough power, especially since the power handling of the RF-62's is only 125wpc rms.

Why not the RC-62 center seeing as thats the speaker that more closely matches your mains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevallen83 View Post

Anyone have some input at all? I'm trying to narrow this down while my discount is still in effect....

Just a reiteration...

Purchasing a set of Klipsch RF-62s, an RC-52 Center, and an RW-10d Subwoofer, and my surrounds are going to be some older Klipsch bookshelves that I've been using as my fronts for a while.

I was told the Yamaha 5960 wouldn't have enough power for these, and was told to look at the 81VTX from Pioneer, Denon 2307, or a Yamaha 6090.

Anyone have any input?

post #8 of 14 Old 02-16-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly, the RC-62 isn't on my list of "Employee Accommodations", just the RC-52...

I also thought that the 5960 would be strong enough to handle everything as well, but I was told that Watts really means nothing -- it's the Amps that the Receiver pumps out to the speakers. To be honest, I'm still learning about this stuff, but I can't seem to find the Amps on any spec sheet for any receiver, so I'm having trouble figuring out what would be a good receiver to use. The guy that told me that the 5960 wouldn't have enough power to run the speakers was a Magnolia employee and he knew that I was an employee also, so I don't see him trying to upsell me for any reason....
post #9 of 14 Old 02-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

powerwise i would think any of them will be ok.

soundwise. personaly -i would go for the pioneer. i have owned both yamahas and pioneers and i prefer the pioneers sound. my boss has the denon 2307. i would rank it pioneer, denon, yamaha. i have the 81 and it sounds fantastic. since you're an employee can't you demo each receiver with the speakers you want? that would be my route.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
i like the sound of the pioneer with the klipsch over the other receivers, especially with stereo sound. w/ home theater, i can't really tell much difference in store setups, but with music i can tell a difference and i think that the pioneers line of receivers tame the highs (color) and smooth out the sound a bit better than the neutral sounding yammy and denon which will really let your klipsch speakers open up.. too much for me anyhow. I would buy a receiver that would tame the klipsch horn tweeter down a bit, and of these choices I would choose pio to do so over the others. can you listen to these at magnolia? if you can, bring in your cd and do some extensive listening and switching between receiver w/ klipsch speakers. I suggest listening in 2 channel stereo because i think this will give yourself a better representation of the sound the combination will yield. In HT, I don't think you will really notice much of a difference between the lot of receivers, but I would tend to lean toward the yammy for HT alone, w/ no regard to music. For a good balance (music & HT), pioneer imo.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-16-2007, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannoiaj View Post

i like the sound of the pioneer with the klipsch over the other receivers, especially with stereo sound. w/ home theater, i can't really tell much difference in store setups, but with music i can tell a difference and i think that the pioneers line of receivers tame the highs (color) and smooth out the sound a bit better than the neutral sounding yammy and denon which will really let your klipsch speakers open up.. too much for me anyhow. I would buy a receiver that would tame the klipsch horn tweeter down a bit, and of these choices I would choose pio to do so over the others. can you listen to these at magnolia? if you can, bring in your cd and do some extensive listening and switching between receiver w/ klipsch speakers. I suggest listening in 2 channel stereo because i think this will give yourself a better representation of the sound the combination will yield. In HT, I don't think you will really notice much of a difference between the lot of receivers, but I would tend to lean toward the yammy for HT alone, w/ no regard to music. For a good balance (music & HT), pioneer imo.

i agree with you for stereo and music. and also that he should demo in both modes- music and HT. however speaking for myself- i have noticed a big difference in HT between the pioneer and the yamaha receivers.

i have had a couple different pioneers and one yamaha in my HT over the years. my latest being the pioneer 81. with the yamaha- which was my last receiver- (so i had pioneer then yamaha now pioneer again) it always seemed like there was something missing - especially in dialogue in the center channel. even after i upgrade speakers and calibrated it regularly.

with the pioneer receivers i have owned it just seems more theater like. a nice, full and balanced sound like you would expect and you desire to hear on HT. with the yamaha i always found myself adjusting the volume and seperate speaker levels from DVD to DVD and even in different scenes within a single DVD. it drove me insane. and even when i got lucky and did get it halfway decent - the sound was just thin.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-17-2007, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys.

Unfortunately at the few stores around me, they don't have either Yamaha, or the Pioneer 81 in the Magnolia room. All they have is the Pioneer 82 and the Denon 2307. The 81 is just displayed in the TV room, and both Yamahas are located on the shelves of the regular HT section of Best Buy - so you can't do much with those either.

Looks like I'll probably end up breaking the bank with the Pioneer, but that's not so much of a bad thing
post #13 of 14 Old 02-17-2007, 05:43 AM

Denon will sound very thin with the Klipsch speakers and most others also.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-17-2007, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

i think you will be VERY happy with the 81 kevallen. it is definitely worth springing the few extra bucks for it. for the extra $$ you'll be getting a very nice receiver that SHOULD last you for a very long time in terms of quality and features. it is fairly "future proof", or as future proof as can be expected. although that is a subjective thing in the world of electronics. in other words- it should last a long time until you decide you want a change.

when i hooked mine up i was amazed at how my mission speakers sounded. on my yamaha, i was happy with the speakers but always felt i wasn't getting enough out of them. last night we watched an advance DVD copy of "stranger than fiction" with will farrell. and i couldn't help smiling the whole time it was on. the movie isn't a huge boomy action flick but, has different moments of great sound. some boomy bass here and there and lots of dialogue and ambient sound. eveything was so crystal clear it was amazing. i had it quite loud but it wasn't uncomfortable. it sounded- well like we were in a small theater- it reproduced the soundtrack amazingly. oh and it's a great movie too, one of the best american movies i've seen in quite awhile. and that says alot, living so close to hollywood (5 minutes) i get to see alot of movies and i'm increasingly disgusted with the garbage this country turns out in terms of movies. that is a general statement though- we of course, still make some great movies but, sadly, that is a very small margin of what we make here. most seem to be made to fill the theater seats with teenagers asses rather than for the sake of great film making. i am a movie freak i guess you could say.

with the yamaha just seemed to me to be harsh and uneven and thin. listening at a louder volume not comfortable at all.

anyhow enjoy the 81. when you get it set it up, then run the auto calibration and let it do it's thing. when it's done go back and make sure your speakers are set to small and initially set the sub xover to 80 (should be default). go into the advnaced menu and adjust your xcurve to fit your space. then sit back and enjoy. the 2 dvds i use now to test is from hell- the dts track and flags of our fathers- the first major battle scene where it begins with the aerial view of all the ships in the water.

let me know if you need any help- you can always PM me- i'm not the resident expert but, if i can help i will.

oh and congrats on the new job .

PS- make sure you have or get an AV stand to accomodate the 81- it IS a beast.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page