Cary Cinema 11 - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1801 of 2244 Old 05-08-2008, 09:03 AM
 
AVSRichard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Slight update:

Cary is working on some high resolution bugs with Cirrus before they can begin final testing. Release target is still June.

Richard
AVSRichard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1802 of 2244 Old 05-08-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rydenfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSRichard View Post

Slight update:

Cary is working on some high resolution bugs with Cirrus before they can begin final testing. Release target is still June.

Richard

Cool! Thanks for the update. after the last little while, it is nice to see a post about Cary products in the Cary thread.
rydenfan is offline  
post #1803 of 2244 Old 05-08-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rhale64L7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Amherst,OH
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Cool! Thanks for the update. after the last little while, it is nice to see a post about Cary products in the Cary thread.

Yes it is. Now I just need to pay my card down so I can actually get this piece.
rhale64L7 is online now  
post #1804 of 2244 Old 05-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Member
 
Kienberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious George View Post

Good on your dealer for offering you a comparable option, my money's on you taking the Denon once you demo it

Hi Curious,

yes, yes, you are right, finally I ordered the AVP A1HD, this monster sounds really excellent in all my tests.

More and more I come to the conclusion, that the small high end companies are not able to compete in the new DSP-driven world with all the new formats and standards.

The last statement from Richard on Cinema 11a status says it all.
Kienberg is offline  
post #1805 of 2244 Old 05-13-2008, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rydenfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Guys, this is still a Cary thread. Since there is no news from Cary it is more appropriate that the thread just be dormant that continually talking about other company's products. I really hope you will consider talking your feelings to the proper thread.
rydenfan is offline  
post #1806 of 2244 Old 05-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Member
 
luser41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Guys, this is still a Cary thread. Since there is no news from Cary it is more appropriate that the thread just be dormant that continually talking about other company's products. I really hope you will consider talking your feelings to the proper thread.

If we're waiting on word from Cary before anyone posts we might as well close the thread

Any more 3rd party info floating around?
luser41 is offline  
post #1807 of 2244 Old 05-15-2008, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
gostan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by luser41 View Post

If we're waiting on word from Cary before anyone posts we might as well close the thread

Any more 3rd party info floating around?

I agree with you completely. Close this thread up completely if we are going to wait for info from Cary. Especially when I think about the last official Cary Audio response of February 7, 2007: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post13044374

Or when I think about my last pm communication of February 11th from Mr. Barbour of Cary Audio Design:

Quote:


Since you seem to have the biggest axe to grind with Cary Audio Design and have been the most vocal in putting the company down in this forum, why don't you contact me directly, by phone, to further discuss your issues. This would be the best measure of answering your questions.

No, I did not take the time to respond to such inpertinent childish remarks. I had already wasted too much valuable time on the subject.

We all understand what the issue(s) in release delays are for Cary and other manufacturers as well, but certainly with no thanks to Mr. Barbour or anybody else at Cary Audio.

Do we require official responses and information form Cary to keep this thread going? Absolutely not. Sure, we will not have much to say until the 11A/11V combo is released. But I, like others, still await the day when these pieces are on the street. But the real comments about them will not come from any of us early adopters, but from those who have been more patient in jumping aboard the Cary boat load of 11A's and 11V's that is Lost near some island located between the far east and north carolina.

Stan
gostan is offline  
post #1808 of 2244 Old 05-15-2008, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member
 
windwaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yep, agreed, not sure what rydenfan is trying to accomplish.

Mention of Cary's competition perfectly fine to me in this thread, particularly in this context, where we are all waiting yet other comparable product are available.
windwaves is offline  
post #1809 of 2244 Old 05-15-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rydenfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by windwaves View Post

yep, agreed, not sure what rydenfan is trying to accomplish.

Mention of Cary's competition perfectly fine to me in this thread, particularly in this context, where we are all waiting yet other comparable product are available.

What I am trying to accomplish is keeping a Cary thread about Cary products, I guess that is too difficult to understand????

Do you go into the Denon thread to discuss Onkyo or Pioneer products? No, I would think you would go to the appropriate Onkyo or Pioneer thread. What would the same not hold true here?
rydenfan is offline  
post #1810 of 2244 Old 05-16-2008, 03:53 PM
Member
 
Kienberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostan View Post


We all understand what the issue(s) in release delays are for Cary and other manufacturers as well, but certainly with no thanks to Mr. Barbour or anybody else at Cary Audio.

My recommendation to Mr. Barbour to keep (potential) customers happy is:

Look at the 'Offical Velodyne Support Thread' .
Bruce Hall and curt c demonstrated since nearly 5 years now, how to keep customer communication going, here in the AVS-forum.

For me, this was an importatnt reason to buy Velodyne.
Kienberg is offline  
post #1811 of 2244 Old 05-25-2008, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
adidino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Helloooo

Just making sure everyone's alive.

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz
adidino is online now  
post #1812 of 2244 Old 05-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Member
 
luser41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Absent any news from a source even remotely related to Cary I can pass along what I read on the Emotiva site concerning their product which will use the same Cirus chip. Their product date has been pushed from summer to late summer or fall. Someone from Emotiva says in their forums that testing is happening with a couple of "elite vendors," one of which may be Cary if the information from a few posts ago is accurate. That same Emotiva person goes on to say that when chips do ship they will go out to most customers at the same time and that each customer will get some percentage of their order.

I really don't know how to equate that with any status on the 11a and the attempt to glean a status on the 11a from that second hand info concerning another manufacturers product probably shouldn't even be made. Having said that, Emotiva certainly does seem to be much more proactive in keeping their customers informed and if they're correct about the delivery method of most customers getting a share of chips on the first shipment perhaps we can get some clue as to when Cary actually gets any chips in quantity. As of now it seems like they may be testing but don't have any in quantity.
luser41 is offline  
post #1813 of 2244 Old 05-27-2008, 08:04 AM
Member
 
SlushPuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It looks like Cary isn't sitting still while they wait for the new chips to come in. I noticed two new Cinema 7-channel amps on their website this weekend. A 125W model and what appears to be an "all out" 250W model. The timing could work out pretty well for those wanting to upgrade all their electronics at the same time.

http://www.caryaudio.com/products/cinema.html

"Gosh, you've.. really got some nice toys here." Roy Batty, Blade Runner
SlushPuppy is offline  
post #1814 of 2244 Old 05-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
peteS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlushPuppy View Post

It looks like Cary isn't sitting still while they wait for the new chips to come in. I noticed two new Cinema 7-channel amps on their website this weekend. A 125W model and what appears to be an "all out" 250W model. The timing could work out pretty well for those wanting to upgrade all their electronics at the same time.

http://www.caryaudio.com/products/cinema.html

Very interesting - anyone got any ideas about pricing (and dare I say, availability!)
peteS is offline  
post #1815 of 2244 Old 05-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Senior Member
 
gregeas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Tribeca (NYC)
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow. That 250W x 7 amp looks nice.

I gotta say, I really love my C5 and C2 amps. Best I've had in my systems thus far (versus various Arcam and Bryston amps).
gregeas is offline  
post #1816 of 2244 Old 05-28-2008, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Krobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by luser41 View Post

Absent any news from a source even remotely related to Cary I can pass along what I read on the Emotiva site concerning their product which will use the same Cirus chip. Their product date has been pushed from summer to late summer or fall. Someone from Emotiva says in their forums that testing is happening with a couple of "elite vendors," one of which may be Cary if the information from a few posts ago is accurate. That same Emotiva person goes on to say that when chips do ship they will go out to most customers at the same time and that each customer will get some percentage of their order.

I really don't know how to equate that with any status on the 11a and the attempt to glean a status on the 11a from that second hand info concerning another manufacturers product probably shouldn't even be made. Having said that, Emotiva certainly does seem to be much more proactive in keeping their customers informed and if they're correct about the delivery method of most customers getting a share of chips on the first shipment perhaps we can get some clue as to when Cary actually gets any chips in quantity. As of now it seems like they may be testing but don't have any in quantity.

I had to ring Cary to find a dealer in the UK and a sales guy told me the 11A would be available by the end of June.
Krobar is offline  
post #1817 of 2244 Old 05-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Senior Member
 
peteS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: London, UK
Posts: 316
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

I had to ring Cary to find a dealer in the UK and a sales guy told me the 11A would be available by the end of June.

Out of interest, which dealer did they give you? When I spoke to them a while ago, since they don't have a disti in the UK, they're also willing to supply direct on occasion.
peteS is offline  
post #1818 of 2244 Old 05-29-2008, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Krobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post

Out of interest, which dealer did they give you? When I spoke to them a while ago, since they don't have a disti in the UK, they're also willing to supply direct on occasion.

Direct for now I was told although they hoped to have an official UK distro soon. The sales guy made it clear that as soon as a UK distro was contracted they would no longer supply direct.

I'm only really considering the Cary at the moment. I have an outboard Lumagen VP and it just suits my setup (Video into a preamp is awkward because I have two SDI sources). Also have an EAD powermaster 7300 amp. I'm just not sure if the 11A will be a large enough upgrade from my Integra RDC-7.1 especially since I lose ground in other areas (No DAB radio and no ILink which currently is the only way I know of getting digital multichannel high res pcm off a PC).
Krobar is offline  
post #1819 of 2244 Old 05-29-2008, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
windwaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey, is anyone hoping that given all the time they've had to think and rethink this product they decide to add some extra hdmi inputs ? This is the thing that annoys me a bit, just 2 of them seems very minimalistic these days .... I know they've got the 11v, still...
windwaves is offline  
post #1820 of 2244 Old 05-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Senior Member
 
jmr21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS View Post

Very interesting - anyone got any ideas about pricing (and dare I say, availability!)

Googled and found this site http://www.armonia-avm.com/phpBB2/vi...f586b3ea8ed1b7 reporting $8,000 US. For what it's worth.

Mike
jmr21 is offline  
post #1821 of 2244 Old 05-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Member
 
mrmike186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Monroe, Washington. USA
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Put my deposit down on the Cinema 11a today. My local dealer called Cary while I was there to ask when to expect shipment. Production will start in two weeks and I should expect my unit by the second or third week of July.

Cost is $3500 but due to demand and increasing production costs exect the price to go up soon. I can't wait
mrmike186 is offline  
post #1822 of 2244 Old 06-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Member
 
mrmike186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Monroe, Washington. USA
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Barbour View Post

Hello everyone,

There have been a lot of questions and concerns as to why the Cary Audio Design Cinema 11a & Cinema 11v have yet to begin shipping. I would like to take this opportunity to offer some insight as to the delayed release of these two products.

As most all of you know, the Cinema 11v utilizes the latest HDMI 1.3 protocol. With this being the newest, most technologically advanced version of the HDMI protocol to date, there were a few issues that came into play regarding it being readily available in the industry. Initially there was a back-up in the availability of the 1.3 boards to manufacturers which led to a delay in our ability to begin assembling and properly testing out prototype designs. Upon completion of any prototype design utilizing the HDMI protocol, the unit must be submitted to HDMI labs for testing and approval. This can be a rather slow process as they handle these units on a first come, first serve basis. Once our completed unit was submitted, it was put into a queue among other manufacturers units, awaiting it's turn to be reviewed and tested. Upon testing, HDMI labs requested we make a small change to the board in order to obtain approval, which led to the second delay in production. This is much more complicated as it sounds as it requires you to, in short, re-design the board. Once the change was made, testing had to be performed again and we are now finally arriving at the end of this process.

The Cinema 11a has been delayed due to much of the same reasons. We use the new Cirrus Logic CS49700 series chipsets within the new Cinema 11a, which is the latest in technology currently available, allowing the Cinema 11a to decode the raw bit stream signal of Dolby Digital True HD and DTS-HD. Much like the HDMI 1.3 spec of the Cinema 11v, these new Cirrus Logic 700 series chipsets required approval from all third parties involved. The set-back we experienced with this particular unit was Dolby Lab's delay in their final approval of how the Dolby Digital audio codec was being handled within this new Cirrus Logic chipset. This has just recently been resolved by means of Dolby offering their approval of the codec which now allows Cirrus Logic to begin shipping the finalized chipsets to manufacturers.

We certainly never intended to delay the release of these two products as we are as eager, if not more so, to have them out into our customers hands, with everyone enjoying the absolute latest and best that Cary Audio Design has to offer. We are very excited about these new units and the technology, quality and performance that they will provide. With all of the ducks now finally in a row, we will be adding the specifications and product info to our website within the next 2 weeks and plan to begin shipping both of these units within the month of March.

We sincerely appreciate everyone's patience, understanding and continued support in Cary Audio Design.

Have I been duped? No official word is certainly a bad sighn.

Marantz is sending Richard an avr8003 on Monday.
mrmike186 is offline  
post #1823 of 2244 Old 06-07-2008, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rydenfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Cirrus Logic is still having major chip problems. This is nothing to do with Cary, or any other company that wishes to use this new chip. Marantz will not be using it; I believe they are using TI.
rydenfan is offline  
post #1824 of 2244 Old 06-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Member
 
mrmike186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Monroe, Washington. USA
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Cirrus Logic is still having major chip problems. This is nothing to do with Cary, or any other company that wishes to use this new chip. Marantz will not be using it; I believe they are using TI.

That may be the case. All I ask is that Cary be honest with their dealers and customers about availability. Maybe they were honest with me, time will tell.

I just happen to run accross Jason Barbours post from earlier this year which makes me not so optomistic that thing really are falling into place.
mrmike186 is offline  
post #1825 of 2244 Old 06-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
gostan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmike186 View Post

Put my deposit down on the Cinema 11a today. My local dealer called Cary while I was there to ask when to expect shipment. Production will start in two weeks and I should expect my unit by the second or third week of July.

Cost is $3500 but due to demand and increasing production costs exect the price to go up soon. I can't wait

Mike:

Good luck. If you read this thread (or any thread with a cirrus based chipset) do not believe any expectations about delivery until somebody in the thread states that they have a unit in hand.

And especially, do not believe anything that Cary advises one of their dealers about ETA of the Cinema 11A or 11V. And certainly do not rely upon it, even if you are there to listen to the conversation. A track record is a track record.......unless the runner or driver is on steroids.

Just read through the rest of this thread.

Stan
gostan is offline  
post #1826 of 2244 Old 06-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Shutterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydenfan View Post

Cirrus Logic is still having major chip problems.

I've searched from time to time on the net for development news on this chipset, but haven't been able to find much. This is honestly not meant as a challenge to your statement, rydenfan, but I'm curious as to your source. Is there some place that we can read up on the details? This has been like a bad soap opera that, sadly, many folks are interested in following.
Shutterman is offline  
post #1827 of 2244 Old 06-08-2008, 04:58 PM
 
AVSRichard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys, there's no major conspiracy here to keep you from getting one. It's chips. And then it was beta chips and encode properties changing (Dolby and DTS) and now it's Alpha chips. Same boat as at least 5 other manufacturers are in.

I want these too and I want to be able to sell them. Until I hear though that the chips are in I'm not getting excited. Which is why it sucks because we're all excited about the 11a.

Richard
AVSRichard is offline  
post #1828 of 2244 Old 06-09-2008, 12:10 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member
 
cwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: nsw australia
Posts: 1,229
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSRichard View Post

Guys, there's no major conspiracy here to keep you from getting one. It's chips. And then it was beta chips and encode properties changing (Dolby and DTS) and now it's Alpha chips. Same boat as at least 5 other manufacturers are in.

Richard

Hi Richard is this still the same issue [alpha chips] as the high resolution bugs you mentioned last post ? Just trying to get a sense of delivery times Not excited.. honest... yet..
cwt is offline  
post #1829 of 2244 Old 06-10-2008, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
windwaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
funny, I was searching my emails while looking for Cary's address and found one from Jason Barbour stating the following:

"Hello,

The Cinema 11a begins shipping the last week of this month."


Oh well, that was on March 6, 2008 !!!

Sorry guys, I had to report this.
windwaves is offline  
post #1830 of 2244 Old 06-10-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rydenfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sarasota, Fl
Posts: 3,312
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here is a very interesting quote from Outlaw Audio:

"The Next Generation Outlaw Processor

As many of you know, delays in the delivery of key DSP chips from Cirrus Logic have slowed development of products not only from the Outlaws, but also for many other companies as well. Because of this situation, we've changed the product road map for our newest flagship processor. We are now well along the path for a new surround processor that is based on dual Texas Instruments DSP chips, along with other key high-end components. We estimate shipments of this new processor to begin late this fall or in early winter."
rydenfan is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off