Yamaha RX-V661 Owners Thread. - Page 131 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3901 of 3929 Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
WeApOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bright Side View Post

Hey guys, did anybody have any luck getting sound from PC through HDMI? I have an NVIDIA Gefore GTX 460 card with Mini HDMI out and when I connect it my old Samsung receiver, I can get both picture (cable from receiver to screen) and sound through HDMI, in both Windows and Ubuntu. Out of the box, too! I don't even need to configure anything. In 5.1 and all, very nice if it weren't for the horrible handshake mutilating any audio that starts playing after a pause.

On the RX-V661, I can get picture to my screen by connecting from the graphics card to the receiver, and from the receiver to the screen. However, sound doesn't play back.

The Yamaha shows me "STRAIGHT" when I connect to the PC over HDMI, and the front left/right channel icons light up on the display. However, it just stays completely silent. I tried both HDMI ports with the same result. When I hook my Oppo Blu Ray player up to them, sound works fine.

So the PC works with the Samsung receiver, and the Oppo Blu-Ray player works with the Yamaha receiver. Only the Yamaha receiver and the PC don't like each other. Why oh why?

The Samsung (a bit more recent, but sound-wise inferior) has HDMI 1.4, and the RX-V661 has 1.2a.

Any ideas? Hope you can help me. I really want to keep this beautiful receiver, but sound over analogue 6-channel is horrific and I hope that if I can get HDMI working, I'll get nice sound and, with some luck, no handshake delays chopping my music into pieces.

Check the NVIDIA Control Panel -- then the tab for "Set up digital audio". See if you can find your receiver under the HDMI section. After you enable it, you should see it as a speaker option in the sound section of your PC.
WeApOn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3902 of 3929 Old 05-31-2013, 08:37 PM
Newbie
 
The Bright Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks WeApOn. I checked that one already (should have mentioned it) and it only shows me my screen (Samsung SyncMaster) and "Turn off audio". The receiver is not recognized.

I read somewhere that receivers sometimes pass all signals (video and audio) right through to the screen, instead of "intercepting" the audio and handling it themselves. If that's what the Yamaha does, I have not found the option to change the behaviour yet. :-/
The Bright Side is offline  
post #3903 of 3929 Old 06-01-2013, 11:52 AM
BWX
Senior Member
 
BWX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bright Side View Post

Hey guys, did anybody have any luck getting sound from PC through HDMI? I have an NVIDIA Gefore GTX 460 card with Mini HDMI out and when I connect it my old Samsung receiver, I can get both picture (cable from receiver to screen) and sound through HDMI, in both Windows and Ubuntu. Out of the box, too! I don't even need to configure anything. In 5.1 and all, very nice if it weren't for the horrible handshake mutilating any audio that starts playing after a pause.

On the RX-V661, I can get picture to my screen by connecting from the graphics card to the receiver, and from the receiver to the screen. However, sound doesn't play back.

The Yamaha shows me "STRAIGHT" when I connect to the PC over HDMI, and the front left/right channel icons light up on the display. However, it just stays completely silent. I tried both HDMI ports with the same result. When I hook my Oppo Blu Ray player up to them, sound works fine.

So the PC works with the Samsung receiver, and the Oppo Blu-Ray player works with the Yamaha receiver. Only the Yamaha receiver and the PC don't like each other. Why oh why?

The Samsung (a bit more recent, but sound-wise inferior) has HDMI 1.4, and the RX-V661 has 1.2a.

Any ideas? Hope you can help me. I really want to keep this beautiful receiver, but sound over analogue 6-channel is horrific and I hope that if I can get HDMI working, I'll get nice sound and, with some luck, no handshake delays chopping my music into pieces.




I'm actually running my GTX 670 (x2 SLI) setup directly to my TV via HDMI and using the optical out (TOSLINK) from onboard audio to the 661. The only reason is because I have a PS3 and HD8300 cable box using up my HDMI inputs on the 661. To use PC on the TV (using it right this second), I just use the TV input select for the PC HDMI input, then switch the Yamma to the optical input and I'm all set for games or anything from PC. My onboard (on motherboard) sound on PC is "DTS Connect" and "DTS UltraPC II" form the "Asus Crystal sound" sound card, and it just works. On the 661 it shows either "DTS" or "DTS+PLIIx", and it comes out through all 7.1 speakers..

Never tried it the way you are trying, because I don't have enough inputs. This way I can still have the PC output on the TV, and be listening to TV through the cable box though, so it works better if I want to listen to news or weather or something, and also be doing stuff on my PC that doesn't require sound.


I should mention that I do not have bluray drive in my PC, and if I did, I'd probably have to set it up like you are (or use an HDMI hub to get an extra input). If I were trying to do that, I would make sure that my video card was HDCP compatible, because sometimes things just will not work if everything isn't HDCP. I know my vid card is, not sure about yours.

Also there is an option for HDMI setting on the 661.
While you have it hooked up, and it is passing sound to the TV from the PC, through the 661-

go to
-manual setup
-sound menu
- go to H)HDMI SET

Make sure it is set to -
S. AUDIO...V661

It might be set to
S.AUDIO...Other

If it is set to "other" on that input, change it, and it might work.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
BWX is offline  
post #3904 of 3929 Old 06-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Newbie
 
The Bright Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey BWX, thanks for the input. Unfortunately, S/PDIF is not an option for me because I play back a lot of hi-res content (mostly in FLAC format) from VLC, which would need an on-the-fly encoder to go through as multichannel, and then I'd have the quality loss from FLAC to DTS. I double-checked the option you recommended and it was already set to V661, so no dice there.

However, I did find a solution to my problem. It's a bit crude, but hey, it works. I have an HDMI cable running from the AVR to my Samsung SyncMaster screen, which I use to pass through video from the Blu Ray player. When I'm on PC, disconnecting that cable will force the signal to "end" in the receiver, and lo and behold, this works perfectly. So now I just have to live with the fact that when I use the Oppo, I have to plug the HDMI cable back into the receiver. Since I don't use it a lot, that's not so terrible. Thanks for your help!
The Bright Side is offline  
post #3905 of 3929 Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 PM
BWX
Senior Member
 
BWX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
LOL, that's one way to skin a cat, Maybe a remote control HDMI hub or switch would allow you to do it via remote control.. Then again, it might not even work at all.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
BWX is offline  
post #3906 of 3929 Old 01-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Newbie
 
xenofly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As old as this receiver is I see there are still occasionally posts here so hopefully someone can answer my question. My parents have this receiver and now they have 3 HD surround sound components however all the digital audio inputs (HDMI, Optical, Coax) are labeled either DVD or DTV\Cable. How do I hook up 3 surround sound components?

Blu-Ray Player HDMI Audio\Video -> Yamaha DVD HDMI in -> HDMI OUT
Xbox HDMI Audio\Video -> Yamaha DTV HDMI in -> HDMI OUT
Sat Receiver Component Video -> Yamaha DVR Component In -> Component Out
Sat Receiver Optical Audio -> Yamaha ????

Does the DVR Component input only accept stereo RCA audio? Does the 661 allow optical inputs to be remapped... can the MD\CD Optical input be used for DVR input audio?
Do I need to connect one device to DVD HDMI and another to DVD Component\Optical? Will the receiver just output the audio video from whatever component is powered on at the time?
xenofly is offline  
post #3907 of 3929 Old 01-07-2014, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member
 
WeApOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenofly View Post

As old as this receiver is I see there are still occasionally posts here so hopefully someone can answer my question. My parents have this receiver and now they have 3 HD surround sound components however all the digital audio inputs (HDMI, Optical, Coax) are labeled either DVD or DTV\Cable. How do I hook up 3 surround sound components?

Blu-Ray Player HDMI Audio\Video -> Yamaha DVD HDMI in -> HDMI OUT
Xbox HDMI Audio\Video -> Yamaha DTV HDMI in -> HDMI OUT
Sat Receiver Component Video -> Yamaha DVR Component In -> Component Out
Sat Receiver Optical Audio -> Yamaha ????

Does the DVR Component input only accept stereo RCA audio? Does the 661 allow optical inputs to be remapped... can the MD\CD Optical input be used for DVR input audio?
Do I need to connect one device to DVD HDMI and another to DVD Component\Optical? Will the receiver just output the audio video from whatever component is powered on at the time?

I'm sure someone else could provide you much better information, but wanted to try for you since I did previously own this unit.

It sounds like you want to connect those 4 devices to the receiver... two via HDMI, one via component, and then also optical audio from your satellite set top box as well?

I believe there was an optical input on the 661, but I could be mistaken. If so, I also believe there may have been a sound menu which allowed you to choose how to output sound, but I am not 100% sure if you could choose to take the sound via optical instead of component. Take a look at some of the Sound menus and you might find that there is a way to choose the input audio via optical. Otherwise I believe, yes, it will simply output from whichever component is powered on -- or moreso, whichever one you have chosen to be your current input via your remote.
WeApOn is offline  
post #3908 of 3929 Old 01-07-2014, 09:21 AM
BWX
Senior Member
 
BWX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenofly View Post

As old as this receiver is I see there are still occasionally posts here so hopefully someone can answer my question. My parents have this receiver and now they have 3 HD surround sound components however all the digital audio inputs (HDMI, Optical, Coax) are labeled either DVD or DTV\Cable. How do I hook up 3 surround sound components?

Blu-Ray Player HDMI Audio\Video -> Yamaha DVD HDMI in -> HDMI OUT
Xbox HDMI Audio\Video -> Yamaha DTV HDMI in -> HDMI OUT
Sat Receiver Component Video -> Yamaha DVR Component In -> Component Out
Sat Receiver Optical Audio -> Yamaha ????

Does the DVR Component input only accept stereo RCA audio? Does the 661 allow optical inputs to be remapped... can the MD\CD Optical input be used for DVR input audio?
Do I need to connect one device to DVD HDMI and another to DVD Component\Optical? Will the receiver just output the audio video from whatever component is powered on at the time?

AUX front panel optical is one option. I use it for my PC. I think there is a redundant optical in on the back panel too though. I use HDMI direct to TV for the vid input (from PC video card) because the receiver only has 2 HDMI inputs.

A better solution would be to upgrade receiver to newer model with 4 or 5 HDMI inputs.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
BWX is offline  
post #3909 of 3929 Old 01-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
EPlay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenofly View Post

As old as this receiver is I see there are still occasionally posts here so hopefully someone can answer my question. My parents have this receiver and now they have 3 HD surround sound components however all the digital audio inputs (HDMI, Optical, Coax) are labeled either DVD or DTV\Cable. How do I hook up 3 surround sound components?

Blu-Ray Player HDMI Audio\Video -> Yamaha DVD HDMI in -> HDMI OUT
Xbox HDMI Audio\Video -> Yamaha DTV HDMI in -> HDMI OUT
Sat Receiver Component Video -> Yamaha DVR Component In -> Component Out
Sat Receiver Optical Audio -> Yamaha ????

Does the DVR Component input only accept stereo RCA audio? Does the 661 allow optical inputs to be remapped... can the MD\CD Optical input be used for DVR input audio?
Do I need to connect one device to DVD HDMI and another to DVD Component\Optical? Will the receiver just output the audio video from whatever component is powered on at the time?

I was just reconfiguring some of my inputs last night on the 661.

You can input your Sat Receiver component output to any of the component inputs and reassign one of the optical inputs to use with it. (See page 78 and 79 of the manual -- you can read or download at Yamaha.com by registering an e-mail. Don't be concerned with what the inputs are actually "named" as you can rename it to "Sat Receiver" or whatever you choose. Just look at them as generic component, HDMI and optical connections.) If your parents are not tech savvy, you could easily create 3 "scenes" for them with each component and any sound parameters assigned to each of the scene buttons (i.e. Scene button 1 is the blu-ray player with night mode, Scene 2 is X-box in straight mode, Scene 3 is Sat receiver.)

Does the Sat Receiver box have an HDMI output? Another option (which would also leave room for HDMI expansion) is if you get an HDMI switch (a 4x1 or 5x1) and connect everything through the switch to one HDMI input on the receiver. I used to set it up this way where I chose HDMI 1 on the receiver and simply chose the input on the switch.

For your last question, no, the receiver does not automatically output audio/video from whatever source is powered on -- you have to select the input.
EPlay is offline  
post #3910 of 3929 Old 04-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Newbie
 
beeoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Delete

beeoh is offline  
post #3911 of 3929 Old 05-08-2014, 02:22 PM
Newbie
 
NobodyIsHere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey guys, 

 

My first post here… I'm a new owner of a Yamaha RX-V661 receiver that I got as a gift from a friend who was upgrading his home theatre system. I'm not quite sure it's set up properly for what i'm going to use it for and was hoping you guys could give me some guidance. 

 

I'm going to use it for just a two things.. playing audio from my TV and most importantly, hooking my turntable up to it's phono input. 

 

My buddy had it set up controlling his surround sound system, which I'm not going to do. I just have two Front speakers (JBL HLS620). 

 

There are a bunch of modes on this and I want to listen to my turntable on whichever mode gives me the truest sound (no bass boost etc..) -- Which mode would you recommend? I've been using "2ch Stereo" mode… I did notice that when switching from "Phono" back to the "DTV" to watch tv, the volume jumps up really loud. Is it normal for the phono volume to be so low and TV so much higher without changing the volume on the remote?

 

Also, i've noticed when listening to records on "Phono" that on the receivers display when raising the volume to a decently loud level the dB shows up around -12.0 -- I would have figured it would be closer to 0 dB. I'm wondering if settings were changed and saved by the original owner that I need to reset? I'll admit, my understanding of this is low, so sorry for the basic questions...

 

I know there is custom setup you can do with this receiver, so if you can recommend anything I should do to it based on how i'm using it, it'd be a great help.

 

Thanks in advance for anyones insight and help!

NobodyIsHere is offline  
post #3912 of 3929 Old 05-09-2014, 01:59 AM
BWX
Senior Member
 
BWX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyIsHere View Post
 

Hey guys, 

 

My first post here… I'm a new owner of a Yamaha RX-V661 receiver that I got as a gift from a friend who was upgrading his home theatre system. I'm not quite sure it's set up properly for what i'm going to use it for and was hoping you guys could give me some guidance. 

 

I'm going to use it for just a two things.. playing audio from my TV and most importantly, hooking my turntable up to it's phono input. 

 

My buddy had it set up controlling his surround sound system, which I'm not going to do. I just have two Front speakers (JBL HLS620). 

 

There are a bunch of modes on this and I want to listen to my turntable on whichever mode gives me the truest sound (no bass boost etc..) -- Which mode would you recommend? I've been using "2ch Stereo" mode… I did notice that when switching from "Phono" back to the "DTV" to watch tv, the volume jumps up really loud. Is it normal for the phono volume to be so low and TV so much higher without changing the volume on the remote?

 

Also, i've noticed when listening to records on "Phono" that on the receivers display when raising the volume to a decently loud level the dB shows up around -12.0 -- I would have figured it would be closer to 0 dB. I'm wondering if settings were changed and saved by the original owner that I need to reset? I'll admit, my understanding of this is low, so sorry for the basic questions...

 

I know there is custom setup you can do with this receiver, so if you can recommend anything I should do to it based on how i'm using it, it'd be a great help.

 

Thanks in advance for anyones insight and help!

 

Congrats you have a very nice receiver that should last you for many years.

 

I would reset the unit to back to default setting first.

 

Then you can make it so that the phono  is louder than the other inputs comparatively just for convenience.

 

 

I still use my v661 every day.  I'll look at the menu to see how to do the volume trim..

 

ok.

 

 

To reset the unit first..  well after looking around,  it isn't in the regular options.

I think you need to look at the manual and there will be a set of buttons to push on the receiver itself I think.  You can probably get manual in pdf form at Yamaha website.  Maybe it isn't completely necessary anyways, but I would definitely do it, there are countless ways to set this thing up and it would be nice to have a factory reset before you set it up for your own purposes.

 

For vol. trim:

 

Go to the menu ..

 

"Manual setup"...

 

then

 

"2 input menu"..

 

then

 

"C volume trim"..

 

then

 

adjust volume up , up to +6db.

 

 

You do that whole process while you are in the phono mode, and then it will stay +6db when you switch to that mode.  You could also go into your other input mode and lower db so that the volume is more level across inputs.

 

I would run the thing in "Pure direct"  for the most unmolested sound for your phono, if that mode is possible  in phono input. I believe it is. 

 

You could also try "straight" mode. I think you can run them both at the same time actually. Put it in "straight" mode, then hit the "pure direct" button. Maybe if you hit pure direct, it doesn't matter what mode it is in before that actually, it will always be just "pure direct".  I think straight mode can be used instead of pure direct.

 

It is normal to have to go all the way up to -12db for a low input level device or content.  Some videos I go all the way to -5db.  Sometimes -30db is enough. Just depends on the source.  You can also limit how high it will go. I think default is +16db, insanely loud for my setup.. I have my unit setup to have +5db the "MAX".  It is usually plenty loud, normally I go anywhere from -40db to at the most usually 0.0db for a really low level audio recorded movie or youtube vid or something like that (or if I want to listen to music insanely loud).

 

EDIT

I found the manual download:

http://download.yamaha.com/search/result/?site=usa.yamaha.com&language=en&search=rx+v661

 

I just downloaded a copy for my records..  so here's the process for factory reset.


Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
BWX is offline  
post #3913 of 3929 Old 05-09-2014, 06:38 AM
Newbie
 
NobodyIsHere's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks so much for your reply to my questions! It's a huge help, and I really appreciate it! I'll try all your suggestions and see how it goes :-) thanks again!!
NobodyIsHere is offline  
post #3914 of 3929 Old 07-13-2014, 01:26 PM
Member
 
FriendofSonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got this model from a friend who said it worked fine. I hooked it up last night and it shuts itself off within 3 seconds. I tried it with my speakers plugged in, with my speakets unplugged. I tried to do a factory reset but it shuts off before I can finish. Any ideas?
FriendofSonic is offline  
post #3915 of 3929 Old 07-13-2014, 01:34 PM
Senior Member
 
jp0213x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendofSonic View Post
I got this model from a friend who said it worked fine. I hooked it up last night and it shuts itself off within 3 seconds. I tried it with my speakers plugged in, with my speakets unplugged. I tried to do a factory reset but it shuts off before I can finish. Any ideas?
Sounds like your friend needed a place to dump a bad receiver.
jp0213x is offline  
post #3916 of 3929 Old 07-13-2014, 01:38 PM
Member
 
FriendofSonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post
Sounds like your friend needed a place to dump a bad receiver.
I told him about the problems I am having and he is willing to refund me. I'd like to try to solve the issue though since he gave me a fair price. Do you have anything to contribute towards that end?
FriendofSonic is offline  
post #3917 of 3929 Old 07-13-2014, 01:40 PM
BWX
Senior Member
 
BWX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendofSonic View Post
I got this model from a friend who said it worked fine. I hooked it up last night and it shuts itself off within 3 seconds. I tried it with my speakers plugged in, with my speakets unplugged. I tried to do a factory reset but it shuts off before I can finish. Any ideas?
Make sure there are no little strands of speaker wire shorting out terminals. If there isn't, unplug everything except power cord and try reset. If it still turns itself off with nothing at all plugged in but power, then it is bad, and something in it has failed.

It is possible a fuse is blown inside though I guess, and could be replaced and it might work..

Hope you didn't pay anything for it.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(

Last edited by BWX; 07-13-2014 at 01:48 PM.
BWX is offline  
post #3918 of 3929 Old 07-13-2014, 01:42 PM
Member
 
FriendofSonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post
Make sure there are no little strands of speaker wire shorting out terminals. If there isn't, unplug everything except power cord and try reset. If it still resets with nothing at all plugged in but power, then it is bad, and something in it has failed.

It is possible a fuse is blown inside though I guess, and could be replaced and it might work..

Hope you didn't pay anything for it.
When you say reset, do you mean the factory reset as detailed in the manual? Or some kind of other reset?
FriendofSonic is offline  
post #3919 of 3929 Old 07-13-2014, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
 
jp0213x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post
Make sure there are no little strands of speaker wire shorting out terminals. If there isn't, unplug everything except power cord and try reset. If it still resets with nothing at all plugged in but power, then it is bad, and something in it has failed.

It is possible a fuse is blown inside though I guess, and could be replaced and it might work..

Hope you didn't pay anything for it.
I agree with this also, do a factory reset explained in the manual. Hopefully you didn't pay much for this receiver.
jp0213x is offline  
post #3920 of 3929 Old 07-13-2014, 01:45 PM
BWX
Senior Member
 
BWX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendofSonic View Post
When you say reset, do you mean the factory reset as detailed in the manual? Or some kind of other reset?
Yup I just mean trying to do what you did, get to the factory reset before it shuts itself off.

I happened to have described the process a while ago in this post.
Yamaha RX-V661 Owners Thread.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
BWX is offline  
post #3921 of 3929 Old 07-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Member
 
FriendofSonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX View Post
Yup I just mean trying to do what you did, get to the factory reset before it shuts itself off.
Ah yeah, I've tried with everything unplugged. Too many steps to do in 3 seconds

I assumed there wasn't really anything else to try aside from repair, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else for me to try. Thank you
FriendofSonic is offline  
post #3922 of 3929 Old 07-13-2014, 01:51 PM
BWX
Senior Member
 
BWX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendofSonic View Post
Ah yeah, I've tried with everything unplugged. Too many steps to do in 3 seconds

I assumed there wasn't really anything else to try aside from repair, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else for me to try. Thank you
Yup looks like it is bad then. Maybe it worked last time he used it, and at some point before you got it, it got dropped or bumped really hard or.. who knows.

Mine has been on almost every single day, all day, since 2006. I still use it every day. So it is a high quality thing with good components that last a very very long time.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
BWX is offline  
post #3923 of 3929 Old 08-11-2014, 03:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I recently got this receiver from someone on craigslist, and I've played with all the settings I could find. One feature I believe this receiver to be completely missing is eq settings, unless I'm not understanding it correctly. It has various DSP fields, which add echo etc, but how about adjusting the actual frequencies? I can adjust the center speaker frequencies to make it match the left and right front speakers. However, I have found nowhere to adjust anything beyond basic bass and treble (button on the front). Is this receiver only equipped with those two adjustments? No actual sound presets to choose? I'm shocked.

I read that there is a mic it came with (not provided by the seller) that does some sort of eq adjustment. However, what about setting it to different eq's based on what type of music you are listening to? Car stereo's always have presets. Is an originally $500 receiver not able to provide this?

Is there a way I can add eq adjustments to the system in some way? I mean, all the sources going into my deck are digital (hdmi or optical). What can I do?
NetTechie is offline  
post #3924 of 3929 Old 08-11-2014, 07:22 AM
BWX
Senior Member
 
BWX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Nope no "EQ" settings like that. I guess it is a little weird, maybe at that time they were trying to get rig of those old settings. Those are taken care of by the auto EQ with mic., which actually works really well. If you plan on using this receiver, I'd get that mic and let it auto-EQ your room.

Yamaha seels much cheaper receivers that have regular type EQ settings for each speaker, so not sure why they didn't include it on this model. I don't really miss it though, and have been using this receiver since 2007.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
BWX is offline  
post #3925 of 3929 Old 08-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Okay, I ordered the eq mic, we shall see how it does. Thanks for letting me know it works well, wasn't sure if it was worth the $35 investment in it.
NetTechie is offline  
post #3926 of 3929 Old 08-11-2014, 04:41 PM
BWX
Senior Member
 
BWX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetTechie View Post
Okay, I ordered the eq mic, we shall see how it does. Thanks for letting me know it works well, wasn't sure if it was worth the $35 investment in it.
Yeah it definitely works well. Worth having. Just stick it upright where you sit (or center of room).

I stacked pillows up in my chair (recliner) and stuck it right where my head would be- make sure it is level.

You may find it reverses channels polarity when it should not, or sets your subwoofer crossover too high.

It's ok.. Just set the x-over back where you want it. You can go in and make changes afterwards. You needd to get the OSD working on the TV to make more advanced changes- also worth doing.

It is important to turn off all AC, fans, make sure pets aren't making noise, and that people are not talking. You will get best results that way.

It can make average speakers sound pretty damned good and good speakers sound excellent.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
BWX is offline  
post #3927 of 3929 Old 08-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Cool, I'll give it a whirl, it should arrive in a few days.

UPDATE:

I installed the mic, put it on top of some pillows and allowed it to setup the system. Then I went into manual settings and equalizer and set it to "FLAT" to test how the speakers sounded without the optimization, then I switched it to Auto mode and wow! What a difference!

Basically all the detail was missing in FLAT mode. As soon as I set it to auto it had a much richer sound, and the treble was much more detailed. Well worth the $35 investment.

Last edited by NetTechie; 08-14-2014 at 08:17 PM.
NetTechie is offline  
post #3928 of 3929 Old 08-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I decided to buy some monitor speakers, and apparently (due to using the preamp outputs) it wont allow me to use optimization now. Wonder if this is intentional?
NetTechie is offline  
post #3929 of 3929 Old 08-18-2014, 01:06 PM
BWX
Senior Member
 
BWX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetTechie View Post
I decided to buy some monitor speakers, and apparently (due to using the preamp outputs) it wont allow me to use optimization now. Wonder if this is intentional?
Can you hook those speakers to speaker-out and run optimization, then hook them up to pre-out after that?

I never ran into that issue because I have just been using regular speakers.


It is amazing how much better it can sound when the receiver adjusts each speaker individually for the room they are in.

Samsung SMT-H3272 - Nav. v7.0.9.2
SA 8300HD (no C) *AZiO ENC311SU41* eSATA- WD black- 1TB - it works!-
-8300HD no more because TWC deliberately made it unusable in my area! :-/ :-(
BWX is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off