Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ky22,
Quote:

I don't mean to bash Energy

Here it comes...

Quote:

but I wasn't impressed with the Take when I listened to the demo(really poorly setup, Pearl Harbor first scenes. No positioning of side surround and was using pro logic ii

The Energy Take 5 system is a solid system. I don't own one now, but I've owned it more than once in the past, the longest time was for 2 years. It definitely delievers the goods. The Take 5 was one of the first real small home theater speaker systems that could give you a convincing home theater experience in a small package.

If they were poorly setup, and the room was bad, that is all you need to make any speaker system sounds its worst.

Thomas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3922 Old 04-15-2007, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yeah I guess this is what happened. They should be able to sound way better at home.
You said "silent cinema" came in right? Can you try to reverse the effect by unplugging the headphone? Maybe try to reset the receiver if possible?
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Looking forward to entering audio/visual nirvana
post #183 of 3922 Old 04-15-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseydog View Post

After 3 months of dragging my feet and researching a replacement for my Denon 1801, I decided on the RXV 661. I was really torn between the 661, the Marantz 4001 and the Denon 1907. The Yamaha was the cheapest and at least give me the option of using HDMI. Got it for $449. Will be powering Energy Take 5 speakers and an AR subwoofer.

I report my opinions mid week. I hope it's easy to set up. I'm pretty much a novice.

I will monitor your progress because I am going to purchase a RXV 661 from BB this weekend and I am currently using a set of Take 5 speakers, including subwoofer. I have been using the Energy Take 5 set for several years, using a Marantz SR7000 to drive them. Great receiver but no HDMI. The 611 is just for the HD-A2. By the way I love the Energy speakers. I'm sure I will upgrade at some point to a better system but for the moment I am very satisfied.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
post #184 of 3922 Old 04-15-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant57 View Post

I will monitor your progress because I am going to purchase a RXV 661 from BB this weekend and I am currently using a set of Take 5 speakers, including subwoofer. I have been using the Energy Take 5 set for several years, using a Marantz SR7000 to drive them. Great receiver but no HDMI. The 611 is just for the HD-A2. By the way I love the Energy speakers. I'm sure I will upgrade at some point to a better system but for the moment I am very satisfied.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Will do. I really like my Take 5s. Nothing fancy, but they work well, look decent, and were inexpensive.

One other question: I don't have an HD tv yet (that is until my wife agrees to it, which will require our current tv going up in smoke). We have a very cheap Samsung DVD/CD player that my daughter could put a PB&J sandwich in and I wouldn't care. Is there any reason to upgrade my DVD/CD player without a Hidef tv?
post #185 of 3922 Old 04-15-2007, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky22 View Post

Yeah I guess this is what happened. They should be able to sound way better at home.
You said "silent cinema" came in right? Can you try to reverse the effect by unplugging the headphone? Maybe try to reset the receiver if possible?
Hope this helps. Good luck.

Yes, still get the blackouts with headphones unplugged. Also doesn't matter if receiver is in DSP or straight mode. I'll try restoring both the Yammy and PS3 to their factory defaults, see if that helps matters.....
post #186 of 3922 Old 04-15-2007, 01:27 PM

I bought the RXV661 because it had dual zone capability. I hve no problem getting zone 2 to work from the same input as the zone 1, but I was told it would allow zone 2 to be on a diffreent input. Anyone know how to do that?
post #187 of 3922 Old 04-15-2007, 03:51 PM

Just got the 661 and was wondering how everyone is connecting their speaker wires to the back of the amp. Plain bare wire, banana clips, pins? Which is recommended?
post #188 of 3922 Old 04-15-2007, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm using banana plugs. I tried the YPAQ today and it was all over the place. Maybe my room is the problem going to do manual set up.

post #189 of 3922 Old 04-15-2007, 07:39 PM

For anyone interested, I've narrowed down the problem w/ my 661. Seems the HDMI circuitry is sensitive to overheating. I fired up the wood stove in the room, and got it to 75+ deg. left a PS3 game running, and sure enough within 15 min I got a permenant black screen w/ no audio. same issue with the 2nd HDMI input from my DVD player w/ a 3 foot cable. Left everything else running, powered off the receiver for 5 min and then it was fine again, but for only a few minutes. interestingly, the radio tuner works fine while the HDMI inputs auto-shutdown.

Guess I'll re-arrange my rack and maybe try a barrier between the yammy and my projector exhaust to alleviate the problem.
post #190 of 3922 Old 04-15-2007, 08:27 PM

Haven't hooked it up yet or even taken it out of the box, but just purchased an RX-V661. Bought it at Tweeter ($500).

Other gear - Cambridge Soundworks Center Channel (forget which model, it's around 2 feet left-to-right), BassCube 10.

Front speakers are old Yamaha NS-A570s. Rears are old Lafayette Criterion 2-ways. Hey, they work fine.

Now - have to hook it up with a Comcast cable (HDMI) and my Panasonic px50tH60u ...

Anything to look out for? Should I use an optical cable of some type?
post #191 of 3922 Old 04-15-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelonetwo View Post

ky22,
The Energy Take 5 system is a solid system. I don't own one now, but I've owned it more than once in the past, the longest time was for 2 years. It definitely delievers the goods. The Take 5 was one of the first real small home theater speaker systems that could give you a convincing home theater experience in a small package.

Ditto - I have the original Take5 setup and 10" Energy sub and have been very happy with them. Got them what, 8, maybe 9 years ago????
post #192 of 3922 Old 04-15-2007, 09:49 PM

OK, i'm thinkin about gettin the 661. But I don't know nothing about receivers at all. I have a ps3, 360, hd-a1 and i'm getting the comcast hd-dvr box with the hdmi imputs. Now I don't know how to set this up. I want to have my ps3 go to the 61 and my hd-a1, But then what do I do with my comcast box? Do I just have my comcast box that is hooked up through hdmi run to my tv? Then what about my 360? I'm soo confused when it comes to receivers BLAH
post #193 of 3922 Old 04-15-2007, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Use the hdmi for your ps3 and tosh hd-a1 and component for 360 & comcast.Then use optical for your 360 & comcast. This way you will get DD for both by using optical and not using the speakers on your tv. Hope this helps you.

post #194 of 3922 Old 04-16-2007, 05:39 AM

Sorry if I couldn't find this in my thread searches, but I've got myself all tied up in string here on exactly what settings the PS3 and the Yamaha RXV 661 should be set to for enabling me to get the lossless PCM audio stream (not 2 channel, but the full PCM that is encoded on many blue-ray movies).

Just got the 661 and love it so far. My current set up on it is PS3 HDMI to HDMI 1 In on receiver. HDMI out from receiver to my Panasonic HDTV (via a dvi adapter, as that is the connection on tv). I have the HDMI settings on Yamaha set to "Other", as the manual states.

The settings on the PS3 for the blue ray player audio are linear out (not bitstream, though I have used that successfully). On the Sound Settings in PS3, I tried to choose HDMI, Automatic, but got the message that the device is not capable of handling HDMI. I'm wondering how that can be, as the PS3 is passing their hdmi signal directly to the Yamaha? When I switch the audio source to HDMI on Yamaha, no sound!

What I'm left with is great Dolby Digital audio via an optical connections, but what I'm really aiming for is the uncompressed PCM. Whatever setting I use in this regard, either on the 661, or PS3, get me sound only out of the front and center speakers.

Bottom line: what settings on Yamaha will allow me to get uncompressed PCM audio from the PS3, and vice-versa, what are the PS3 settings for this.

Thanks for any assistance!
post #195 of 3922 Old 04-16-2007, 07:17 AM

On H) HDMI SET, SUPPORT AUDIO, Select RX-V661.
OTHER means it would pass though the HDMI audio signal to the TV.
DVI can't accept audio so your TV can't output sound via the connection.
Linear should be right for the PS3.

It seems like a lot of people like their Take5. It just means that the demo I got was so bad that they (the store I demoed them from) wasn't worth my business. Sorry if I offended the Energy owners though.

post #196 of 3922 Old 04-16-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsil View Post

Use the hdmi for your ps3 and tosh hd-a1 and component for 360 & comcast.Then use optical for your 360 & comcast. This way you will get DD for both by using optical and not using the speakers on your tv. Hope this helps you.

Thanxs i'm gonna use that set up..
post #197 of 3922 Old 04-16-2007, 11:17 AM

oh one more question. On the 61 it has 2 hdmi inputs and one output. So when I hook my ps3 and my hd-a1 to it, then the one hdmi that is coming out of the hdmi output goes to the tv right? So my question is do the ps3 and the hd-a1 both share one output that shows the picture? And do I have to have one system off in order to see the picture on the TV?
post #198 of 3922 Old 04-16-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:

On H) HDMI SET, SUPPORT AUDIO, Select RX-V661.

It seems like a lot of people like their Take5. It just means that the demo I got was so bad that they (the store I demoed them from) wasn't worth my business. Sorry if I offended the Energy owners though.

Thanks! Would I use an optical connection, or simply stick with the HDMI cable connected to the Yamaha, then get the PCM out of one of its inputs?
post #199 of 3922 Old 04-16-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

ilkjh,

The hdmi will do the video and audio to yam from ps3 . Just follow what Ky22 posted for audio out from hdmi. The PS3 must be set to hdmi audio out. Check sound setting menu on the PS3.

post #200 of 3922 Old 04-16-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

mchamblissII,

PS3 and Tosh will share the output to tv and show you the picture for either one to your tv . The yam will do the audio part. On H) HDMI SET, SUPPORT AUDIO, Select RX-V661 for your audio.

post #201 of 3922 Old 04-16-2007, 05:59 PM

wow i'm learning new stuff everyday lol
post #202 of 3922 Old 04-17-2007, 12:46 AM

hey guys thanks for all the great reading....i researched this recvr a lot and finally bought one today! i'm loving it so far! it replaced an old onkyo txsr600. i've got a question however, does or did anyone else have a slight audio synch problem? when i watch a dvd (i'm using the dvd player to the receiver, then out to the tv) i'm getting just a slight hint of delay in the audio. i set the delay to 30ms, and it seems to help a little, but i thought that setting the delay higher would mean it would be more off.....am i just wrong on that? thanks for the help (on this topic, and in making my decision to buy the recvr).

I do what I can do when I can do it.
post #203 of 3922 Old 04-17-2007, 03:53 AM

[quote=ky22]On H) HDMI SET, SUPPORT AUDIO, Select RX-V661.

That cured everything- the Yam HDMI SET, SUPPORT AUDIO, Select RX-V661.

Beautiful uncompressed sound!

Thanks to all for your expert help!
post #204 of 3922 Old 04-17-2007, 06:28 AM

Welcome LOL. I haven't even gotten my unit yet. Just missed the UPS man yesterday, he is suppose to come again today. Can't wait! But too bad I still haven't brought my speakers and PS3 yet. DARN

"i'm getting just a slight hint of delay in the audio." quoted from Lfpdlieu302

Is your receiver setup properly? It might be speakers distance set wrong. This is just my guess though.

post #205 of 3922 Old 04-17-2007, 01:47 PM

oh one more question....as i stated earlier i'm switching from an onkyo recvr to a yamaha. i've never had a recvr with the volume shown in db. whereabouts do you all have your volume set at for normal movie watching? i'm hovering around -16 to 14 depending on the material......was just curious what the "average" range was. i normally listen to movies fairly loud and this volume seems to work. i wasnt sure if 0db was reference level or what.....thanks for all the help.

oh and ky22, i'm pretty sure the recvr is set up right, it seems to have the speaker distance on well, i'll have to double check..thanks!

post #206 of 3922 Old 04-17-2007, 05:48 PM

I think this depends on how sensitive your speakers are and how spacious room is. Hey I finally got my receiver today. Does anyone know how to program the TV's remote code in the receiver's remote?

post #207 of 3922 Old 04-17-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfpdlieu302 View Post

oh one more question....as i stated earlier i'm switching from an onkyo recvr to a yamaha. i've never had a recvr with the volume shown in db. whereabouts do you all have your volume set at for normal movie watching? i'm hovering around -16 to 14 depending on the material......was just curious what the "average" range was. i normally listen to movies fairly loud and this volume seems to work. i wasnt sure if 0db was reference level or what.....thanks for all the help.

oh and ky22, i'm pretty sure the recvr is set up right, it seems to have the speaker distance on well, i'll have to double check..thanks!

-25dB to -20dB for a LOUD movie for my system. I think it depends on the sensitivity of your particular speakers though.
post #208 of 3922 Old 04-17-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnothing123 View Post

Just got the 661 and was wondering how everyone is connecting their speaker wires to the back of the amp. Plain bare wire, banana clips, pins? Which is recommended?

For as rare as I actually need to mess with the wiring, I just use bare wires for my speakers. I've never had any kind of problem.
post #209 of 3922 Old 04-17-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:

I think this depends on how sensitive your speakers are and how spacious room is. Hey I finally got my receiver today. Does anyone know how to program the TV's remote code in the receiver's remote?

switch the control "rocker"on the side of the remote so that tv is highlighted. then press the dtv button. use a paperclip to press the tiny button on the upper left hand corner of the remote, the light should blink twice. now enter the 5 digit code located at the back of the handbook for the receiver, when entered the lights will blink twice again. repeat the above steps until you find the code that works for your tv.

post #210 of 3922 Old 04-17-2007, 08:14 PM

Thanks! I actually found out through searching the web that it's the phono to program the TV. Yamaha's manual sucks!

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page