Best Hdmi A/v Receiver Money Can Buy ! ! ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old 03-26-2007, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iwanrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What is THE BEST HDMI A/V receiver money can buy for bellow $5,000 ???

THANKS
iwanrs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 37 Old 03-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Member
 
Soransis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Middle of the Desert, Iraq
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is no answer to the question you are asking. Well, there is a semi answer, but you probably weren't looking for this one.

THE BEST HDMI A/V receiver money can buy for below $5000 is the one that YOU think sounds the best, AND has all the features you want.
Soransis is offline  
post #3 of 37 Old 03-26-2007, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iwanrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Sorensis, thanks, that is a classic but right up true answer.

Can I ask you this way: What will you buy if you have to decide to buy one?
iwanrs is offline  
post #4 of 37 Old 03-26-2007, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MSmith83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Based on my experience with the 4306, I would say check out the Denon AVR-4806CI.

However, if you have $5,000 you may also want to consider separates. The Anthem AVM 50 pre/pro can be had for under $5,000 with some money left over for an amp.

Then again, I don't know what features you want. I'm just mentioning what I think is the best overall in the price range.
MSmith83 is offline  
post #5 of 37 Old 03-26-2007, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iwanrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Based on my experience with the 4306, I would say check out the Denon AVR-4806CI.

However, if you have $5,000 you may also want to consider separates. The Anthem AVM 50 pre/pro can be had for under $5,000 with some money left over for an amp.

Then again, I don't know what features you want. I'm just mentioning what I think is the best overall in the price range.

I prever receiver as one, because of the simplicity and space saving, I had once Denon gigantic pre and power setting some 15 years ago. I have abandom the idea since then. I think now a day intergated receivers are more and more gaining popularity and advance in technology and sound quality as well.
iwanrs is offline  
post #6 of 37 Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Member
 
Spartan Niner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post

What is THE BEST HDMI A/V receiver money can buy for bellow $5,000 ???

THANKS

Just a clarification, you mean HDMI v1.3 right? Not the 1.1s?
Spartan Niner is offline  
post #7 of 37 Old 03-26-2007, 11:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Without getting into exact specific prices.. For somewhere around your $5k budget, you could get a 5805mk2 Denon, from either Costco online or through the Continental Rewards OnePass program. In fact, if you join the OnePass program, you would do much better than what Costco is selling it for, and with a good chunk of change left over from your upper budget limit. And at least for now, I think most people would pretty much agree, the 5805mk2 and the newer 5805ci are still the two top dogs among receivers.
Johnla is offline  
post #8 of 37 Old 03-27-2007, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iwanrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Niner View Post

Just a clarification, you mean HDMI v1.3 right? Not the 1.1s?

1.3 version of HDMI is preferably. Is there any? Standard HDMI is also OK.

THANKS
iwanrs is offline  
post #9 of 37 Old 03-27-2007, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iwanrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Johnla.
iwanrs is offline  
post #10 of 37 Old 03-27-2007, 03:33 AM
Member
 
Soransis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Middle of the Desert, Iraq
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, since you asked. Right now I would buy one of the Emotiva pre/pro + amp combos. But of course my opinion is biased in the fact that I get 40% off all future pre/pro models. Since you don't like that route, I would have to say I would go for the Denon 5805 as mentioned above. Mainly because Denon appealed to me as having what I personally would like in my receiver. Now if 1.3 is absolutely what you want, and you can wait a while longer, I would wait for a future model from Denon, or other high end receiver from another maker (anthem, yamaha, sherwood newcastle, marantz, etc.). It really is a guessing game. You trade off some bells and whistles for others depending on the brand, and model you buy. They all sound different too. Your ears may not like what my ears like, so I could say the best in the world ever is a denon, but you say its a yamaha. I think you should try to demo some of the higher end models within your budget if you can. I also think you should give the pre/pro + amp another try. They aren't all as big as they used to be.
Soransis is offline  
post #11 of 37 Old 03-27-2007, 04:10 AM
Member
 
HaTrED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In a country called Portugal!
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Arcam!

Yeah, right!
HaTrED is offline  
post #12 of 37 Old 03-27-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsmith901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 8,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Very soon you will be able to buy the Sherwood Newcastle R-972 for $1,500 or less:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...7-page-12.html

"The truth is out there!"
dsmith901 is offline  
post #13 of 37 Old 03-27-2007, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MSmith83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soransis View Post

I also think you should give the pre/pro + amp another try. They aren't all as big as they used to be.

I agree.

I have a Denon 4306 receiver that I use as a pre/pro and haven't heard anything better for under $3,000, so the 5805 is a real winner I'm sure. However, the size of the 5805 is insane; it is like a foot tall and weighs 100lbs. A pre/pro + amp is likely to take less or the same amount of space, and each component will have less weight to them.
MSmith83 is offline  
post #14 of 37 Old 03-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Senior Member
 
new27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Doesn't Merdian have a megabuck receiver in the works?
new27 is offline  
post #15 of 37 Old 03-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Member
 
ashikojim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: I live in Carver.
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
my take on this question is value. you can get a denon 987 for about a thousand dollars that will work and sound great on all formats of t.v's. Im on a tight budget and cant afford some of denons high end recivers but the 987 is priced very nicely and has great sound. If i went with something that did hdmi 1.3 id have to drop another 30,000 on a t.v. This is outta my range when i cant afford the 5,000 dollar amp to start with. What do you think?
ashikojim is offline  
post #16 of 37 Old 03-27-2007, 09:30 AM
Member
 
Soransis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Middle of the Desert, Iraq
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikojim View Post

my take on this question is value. you can get a denon 987 for about a thousand dollars that will work and sound great on all formats of t.v's. Im on a tight budget and cant afford some of denons high end recivers but the 987 is priced very nicely and has great sound. If i went with something that did hdmi 1.3 id have to drop another 30,000 on a t.v. This is outta my range when i cant afford the 5,000 dollar amp to start with. What do you think?

This is somewhat where I was going with my post. I too am on a tight budget, and that is why I would choose the emotiva pre/pro + amp route. However, seeing that he has the 5k to spend he might as well get the "best" money can buy for that amount. Its all about diminishing returns once you start getting in the upper price ranges. When those diminishing returns start is interprated by the buyer. For myself, diminishing returns start at around 2-3k. In part because of my budget, and "all" the extras I can get when comparing a 1k receiver to a 3k receiver.
Soransis is offline  
post #17 of 37 Old 03-27-2007, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iwanrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks all the inputs.

Has anyone heard or bought Sony new lines of Receivers? They make a confincing come back, at least the reviews say so.
iwanrs is offline  
post #18 of 37 Old 03-27-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iwanrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashikojim View Post

my take on this question is value. you can get a denon 987 for about a thousand dollars that will work and sound great on all formats of t.v's. Im on a tight budget and cant afford some of denons high end recivers but the 987 is priced very nicely and has great sound. If i went with something that did hdmi 1.3 id have to drop another 30,000 on a t.v. This is outta my range when i cant afford the 5,000 dollar amp to start with. What do you think?

My Projector is Epson EMP-TW1000, the only one projector has 1.3 HDMI in the market, it cost $3,000.

So do you know any Receiver with 1.3 HDMI in the market NOW or about to come out within next 3 months?

Thanks
iwanrs is offline  
post #19 of 37 Old 03-27-2007, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't think you'll find very many people recommending any Sony receivers, not even the new ones. Their track record over the last few years has been very poor.
Johnla is offline  
post #20 of 37 Old 03-27-2007, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
iwanrs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 965
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

I don't think you'll find very many people recommending any Sony receivers, not even the new ones. Their track record over the last few years has been very poor.

But John, for the last one year Sony came back with a new line of Receivers which are ranked high in many reviews. And we know Sony built quality are one of their strength which make them successful in many things.

I know their receivers have been not so good for the last decade or so.
iwanrs is offline  
post #21 of 37 Old 03-28-2007, 05:23 AM
Member
 
Meyvn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd go for one of the Pioneer Elites or the Denon 2307CI (indeed, this is what I'm going to do in a couple months), and then if you want to go better, get a high end 7 channel amp to go with. That could easily bump you up to 5 grand. Or you could just save the rest for something else.
Meyvn is offline  
post #22 of 37 Old 03-28-2007, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ultra 150 pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Western mass
Posts: 1,069
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs View Post

What is THE BEST HDMI A/V receiver money can buy for bellow $5,000 ???

THANKS

Marantz sr9600 flagship receiver $4200
ultra 150 pilot is online now  
post #23 of 37 Old 03-28-2007, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dsmith901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 8,966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra 150 pilot View Post

Marantz sr9600 flagship receiver $4200

This unit is nice but outdated - only two HDMI switching inputs, no HDMI 1.3 input and no DD TruHD or DTS-HD decoding, and no video upconverstion to HDMI output, no video scaling, all features available on the SN R972 for only $1,500 (reportedly due out by September).

"The truth is out there!"
dsmith901 is offline  
post #24 of 37 Old 03-28-2007, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MichaelJHuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 18,605
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 87
There have been rumors that Yamaha will be announcing a new flagship receiver with HDMI. I have no clue when/if that will happen.

The 2700 has gotten good reviews and has plenty of power. It supports three zones, but the zones are more limited than the flagship Z9 (mostly due to the fact the Z9 has more amps.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
MichaelJHuman is online now  
post #25 of 37 Old 03-28-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
M Code's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Joshua Tree, CA
Posts: 9,802
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

There have been rumors that Yamaha will be announcing a new flagship receiver with HDMI. I have no clue when/if that will happen.

The 2700 has gotten good reviews and has plenty of power. It supports three zones, but the zones are more limited than the flagship Z9 (mostly due to the fact the Z9 has more amps.)


The flagship Z10 has been shown in private presentations...
Mass production is later this summer, primary features are multiple (4) audio DSPs (TI-2, Yamaha-2), HDMI 1.3, HDMI inputs (6), Silicon Optix processor, HD Radio, Ethernet, LCD horizontal remote control and Zone II/III audio & video. Target SRP $5500. Built like a battleship, weighs alot...
M Code is offline  
post #26 of 37 Old 03-31-2007, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KevinYee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: CA Bay Area
Posts: 1,003
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Without getting into exact specific prices.. For somewhere around your $5k budget, you could get a 5805mk2 Denon, from either Costco online or through the Continental Rewards OnePass program. In fact, if you join the OnePass program, you would do much better than what Costco is selling it for, and with a good chunk of change left over from your upper budget limit. And at least for now, I think most people would pretty much agree, the 5805mk2 and the newer 5805ci are still the two top dogs among receivers.

What's the difference between the 5805mk2 and the 5805ci?
KevinYee is offline  
post #27 of 37 Old 03-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Member
 
khewa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soransis View Post

Well, since you asked. Right now I would buy one of the Emotiva pre/pro + amp combos. But of course my opinion is biased in the fact that I get 40% off all future pre/pro models. Since you don't like that route, I would have to say I would go for the Denon 5805 as mentioned above. Mainly because Denon appealed to me as having what I personally would like in my receiver. Now if 1.3 is absolutely what you want, and you can wait a while longer, I would wait for a future model from Denon, or other high end receiver from another maker (anthem, yamaha, sherwood newcastle, marantz, etc.). It really is a guessing game. You trade off some bells and whistles for others depending on the brand, and model you buy. They all sound different too. Your ears may not like what my ears like, so I could say the best in the world ever is a denon, but you say its a yamaha. I think you should try to demo some of the higher end models within your budget if you can. I also think you should give the pre/pro + amp another try. They aren't all as big as they used to be.

in terms of size, I think the Denon 5805 is huge. Looks like a pre + pro stacked together. So you don't get much space savings there.
khewa is offline  
post #28 of 37 Old 03-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Member
 
khewa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The flagship Z10 has been shown in private presentations...
Mass production is later this summer, primary features are multiple (4) audio DSPs (TI-2, Yamaha-2), HDMI 1.3, HDMI inputs (6), Silicon Optix processor, HD Radio, Ethernet, LCD horizontal remote control and Zone II/III audio & video. Target SRP $5500. Built like a battleship, weighs alot...

hmm... built like battleship, costs like a battleship. Needs a home in a battleship (ie. child proof) and works best with war movies.
khewa is offline  
post #29 of 37 Old 03-31-2007, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
VTGOLFER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

I agree.

I have a Denon 4306 receiver that I use as a pre/pro and haven't heard anything better for under $3,000, so the 5805 is a real winner I'm sure. However, the size of the 5805 is insane; it is like a foot tall and weighs 100lbs. A pre/pro + amp is likely to take less or the same amount of space, and each component will have less weight to them.

What does weight matter vs. quality? I don't get the argument concerning weight. Isn't it about the sound quality?
VTGOLFER is offline  
post #30 of 37 Old 03-31-2007, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MSmith83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,550
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGOLFER View Post

What does weight matter vs. quality? I don't get the argument concerning weight. Isn't it about the sound quality?

Ummm... I was making a comment that the OP should consider a pre/pro and amp combo if he was going to consider the 5805. Size was a concern of his, so I mentioned the 5805's size and weight. Read his comments.
MSmith83 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off