Anthem Statement D2 Alternative? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 36 Old 04-01-2007, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm hoping someone can offer some good alternatives here...

I've been waiting too long for my Anthem Statement D2 from my local dealer. I'm a previous owner of a D1 and sold it with the intention of getting a D2. My choice was mostly motivated by the HDMI features added to the D2. At this point, I'm considering going another direction if I have to wait much longer. Can anyone reccomend a similar product with the same quality and features at the same price point? As I mentioned, I need something with HDMI in/out. Not only for video switching but 1080p upscaling and the ability to pass through DTSHD and Dolby TrueHD audio formats.

I am open to any good suggestions.

Thanks everyone!

McIntosh MX151 Owner's Thread

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 04-01-2007, 09:20 AM
Read the FAQ!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Tony, the reason the D2 is backordered is because, right now, there really is nothing comparable unless you cobble together a separate pre/pro and standalone video processor.

[I presume you are already familiar with the Anthem AVM50, the cheaper variant of the D2.]

Anthem is apparently doing AVM50 and D2 manufacturing runs in series. So a wave of AVM50s comes out and then a wave of D2s.

I don't know how long you have been waiting for your D2, but recent reports in the D2/AVM50 "tweaking" thread here are of roughly 3 week backorders in the US and Canada -- unless you luck out and happen to order one just as a wave of them is coming out of the factory. The worst we've heard of recently is 5 weeks.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #3 of 36 Old 04-01-2007, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I considered a pre/pro with a seperate video proc as an alternative but that won't work for me since part of my decision to go with the d2 was the future ability to pass through truehd and dtshd audio formarts. Anthem has talked about adding support with a simple flash upgrade.

Owner, AudioXtream.
Authorized Dealer for Kef, Triad, Bryston, Auralic, Audeze, Grado, Audioquest, Marantz

Audioxtream.com
post #4 of 36 Old 04-01-2007, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

so no other suggestions anyone?

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #5 of 36 Old 04-01-2007, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Audiogon?
post #6 of 36 Old 04-01-2007, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Check around, I bought my D2 a few weeks ago, and lots of people had them in California.

Michael
post #7 of 36 Old 04-02-2007, 12:32 AM
aus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've been waiting for my AMV50 for 2 weeks now, so maybe you just missed a run? I'm in SoCal.

You really have NO OTHER options at this time. Maybe later in the year, some recievers will do similar stuff.
post #8 of 36 Old 04-02-2007, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How do you guys feels about the Lexicon MC12HD over the D2?

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #9 of 36 Old 04-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

How do you guys feels about the Lexicon MC12HD over the D2?

Audio very good. Video not in the same league. No HDMI 1080p support for example. Very expensive.
--Bob

Anthem D2/D2v/AVM50/AVM50v/ARC1 tweaking guide. -- Need personal consultation/training? PM me!
post #10 of 36 Old 04-02-2007, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good points.. so let' take price out of the equation for a moment. Isn't there anything out there? Krell Evolution maybe? or Arcam, Mcintosh, Classe? anything? I'm surprised that Anthem is the only one listening to consumers right now.

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #11 of 36 Old 04-02-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

You could look at Halcro. It sounds like the video section isn't nearly as good as the D2's though.
post #12 of 36 Old 04-02-2007, 08:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

Good points.. so let' take price out of the equation for a moment. Isn't there anything out there? Krell Evolution maybe? or Arcam, Mcintosh, Classe? anything? I'm surprised that Anthem is the only one listening to consumers right now.

The D2 is a breakthrough product. Doing HDMI video well, not to mention video processing in general, is not easy. Even the standalone video processor companies that are doing HDMI video are struggling to work past the hurdles -- which largely have to do with the mess (collective noun chosen deliberately) of HDMI source and display devices out there. That means you not only need to look for a product with the right feature set, but you need to buy from a company with extraordinarily responsive customer support to deal with the strangenesses that come up in your specific set of equipment. Anthem is doing that.

I can't imagine trying to get a Denon or Pioneer for example, to be as responsive. And its a pretty scary proposition for the audiophile companies that have made their mark in audio.

This will change over time of course. It will also be interesting to see what Anthem does for their next trick, because this one has been spectacular.
--Bob

post #13 of 36 Old 04-02-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
One alternative to the D2/AVM50 would be the Denon 5805MKII/CI.
The 5805MKIIs video processing isn't in the same league as the Anthems but it does do 1080p processing....
Has 6 digital video inputs (5 HDMI inputs, 1 DVI input)
Also has 2 digital video outputs, (1 HDMI & 1 DVI)
Throw in Audyssey room EQ and the comparison gets interesting.

dc

StayThristyMyFriends
post #14 of 36 Old 04-02-2007, 12:41 PM

I'm surprised there is that much of a drought. When I originally bought an AVM50 it was at my dealers the next day, this was probably 2 months ago. I had some minor issues with it that were all covered under warranty but decieded to grab a D2 instead of waiting for it to be repaired. This was probaby 2-3 weeks ago. While I did steal my dealers demo he did have 2 or 3 in stock.
post #15 of 36 Old 04-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

I've conducted more research than I want to admit and I can say nothing comes close to the AVM50 or D2. I am getting a D2 this weekend.

anseK®
My DVD Collection

Format War Neutral
Panasonic DMP-BD55K
Samsung BD-P1200
Toshiba HD-A2
post #16 of 36 Old 04-02-2007, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDL View Post

I'm surprised there is that much of a drought. When I originally bought an AVM50 it was at my dealers the next day, this was probably 2 months ago. I had some minor issues with it that were all covered under warranty but decieded to grab a D2 instead of waiting for it to be repaired. This was probaby 2-3 weeks ago. While I did steal my dealers demo he did have 2 or 3 in stock.

you know what sucks, there isn't one Anthem dealer in Kentucky , they are so strict that if you buy anywhere but in person, you can kiss your warranty good bye, I would love to get a avm40 to sit under my DVDO VP50 , but their warranty policies and lack of dealers or allowance of mail-ordering/online has hampered my interest in me really getting one

-Gary
post #17 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Gary,
There isn't one in Indiana either. But I found some in Cinci, Champagne Ill and Chicago. So, I drove to Champagne, listened and bought one. Are you close to Cinci?

Dedicated to keeping my 2 labs from chewing any of MY stuff.
post #18 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know about Krell's new S1000 pre/pro? Looks a nice piece and a possible option over the D2?

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #19 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Read the FAQ!

AVSRichard has posted that the Krell S1000 is only a "pass through" HDMI receiver. No video processing.

Anthem doesn't offer a "pass through" model in the Statement line. But in the lower priced AVM line they have the AVM-40 -- HDMI audio but no processing (de-interlacing, scaling, transcoding, etc.) of the video.
--Bob

post #20 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My motivation is audio quality and the ability to process Dolby TrueHD and DTSHD. I'm aware both the Krell s1000 and the D2 won't do that today but Anthem has mentioned a flash upgrade in the future. So, since the Krell is only a pass through for HDMI will it have the ability to process those audio formats in the future?

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #21 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quote:

My motivation is audio quality and the ability to process Dolby TrueHD and DTSHD. I'm aware both the Krell s1000 and the D2 won't do that today but Anthem has mentioned a flash upgrade in the future. So, since the Krell is only a pass through for HDMI will it have the ability to process those audio formats in the future?

Adidino, people use the D2 to listen to TrueHD tracks, at full quality, today! You just need an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray player that includes the TrueHD decoder. The resulting set of high bandwidth, multi-channel PCM goes over the HDMI connection to the D2.

Alternatively you could use multi-channel analog audio connections.

Now no players or receivers are yet shipping with DTS-HD MA decoders, but when those decoders finally appear the D2 will work the same way. You will need a player that decodes the DTS-HD MA. No change is needed in the D2.

If you are expecting that the D2 might get a software upgrade that would allow it to decode TrueHD or DTS-HD MA tracks internally, then you are mistaken. The only way to get the UNdecoded versions of such tracks into a receiver is via HDMI V1.3, and changing the D2 from its current HDMI V1.1 to HDMI V1.3 can *NOT* be done by software upgrade alone. At the very least the HDMI driver chips have to be changed.

But in any event, it is not at all ideal for the receiver or pre/pro to do this decoding (unlike the situation with standard DVD or HDTV playback of the older, "lossy" audio formats such as DD5.1 and DTS). The best way to handle this new audio stuff is to get a PLAYER that does the decoding, or will be upgraded to do so. This is so that "advanced" audio mixing can happen in the player. See the "Why you don't need HDMI V1.3" sticky thread and the "future proof" receiver sticky thread at the top of this forum for details.
--Bob

post #22 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
If you can wait (and you could care less about scaling), Halcro's SSP-100 or SSP-80 are fantastic sounding processors that are soon being upgraded to be able to hear TRUE HD, DTS MA, etc via linear PCM over HDMI. The scaling in the 100 is nothing worth writnig about, but if reference quality sound, flexibility and HDMi switching are important, it is the best sonic performer I've heard yet. RS232 control and more. This one gorgeous sounding piece. The Halcro is all about sound and it does it well.

Otherwise fly down to an authorized dealer. As a side, my wife just flew down to North Carolina to pick up a special purse. THe manufacturer will only sell their products in person and they will not ship (even if you pay for it over the phone). So, if you want the Anthem, buy a $300 airline ticket and go get it!

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #23 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

person and they will not ship (even if you pay for it over the phone). So, if you want the Anthem, buy a $300 airline ticket and go get it!

Better bring in on the aircraft as a carry-on, sure wouldn't want the airlines to handle it.

Have fun getting through security...
post #24 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I don't know what you guys are talking about ? Anthem not supporting you unless you buy local.

I bought a avm20v2 from an authorized dealer in California, and I live in Louisiana. I'm covered because I'm the original owner and I bought from an authorized dealer.

I don't think anthem cares where you buy, just that you buy from an authorized dealer..

From what I understand Anthem will support used avm20/30/D1 w/ the upgrade to 50/D2 status. ie. you could buy a used avm20 and have it upgraded to a amv20v3 (avm50) and then have a warranty.

Samething for a D1 to D2 , this is what I've gathered from the anthem threads.

Regards,
Jose
post #25 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1 View Post

Better bring in on the aircraft as a carry-on, sure wouldn't want the airlines to handle it.

Have fun getting through security...

Ship it from the store, of course (or the nearby UPS)......hellooo.......

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #26 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 01:15 PM

Here are the specs for the S1000

Retail is $6500.

AUDIO FEATURES
State-of-the-art digital audio chipsets, operating with upsampled 24-bit precision are utilized.

Digital audio formats include Dolby Digital Surround EX, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 6.1 ES, DTS 5.1, DTS NEO:6, and Dolby Pro Logic II, in addition to 9 proprietary Krell Music Surround modes.

Krell software provides digitally controlled bass management with user-selectable crossover points, optimizing the systems speaker/subwoofer interface.

Audio decoding is accomplished with 24-bit/192 kHz DACs, for the most accurate analog signal possible.

Krell Current Mode analog circuitry is utilized in the critical preamplifier section, and a fully balanced de-sign delivers the extremely wide bandwidth required for accurate audio reproduction.

An analog preamp mode bypasses all digital circuits, providing the most direct signal path for multi-channel and stereo recordings.

The S-1000 has 7 single-ended, 1 balanced, and 1 single-ended multi-channel analog audio inputs, as well as 6 coaxial and 2 optical digital inputs. Both single-ended and balanced analog audio outputs are utilized for all 7.1 channels.

A unique software-based eight-channel digital room equalizer maximizes system performance in any room. For each of four memory settings, the user can program filter type (high-pass, low-pass, notch, peaking, and high/low shelf), frequency, shape, and level for every channel. Each of the four memory settings is assignable to a device.

VIDEO FEATURES
Video circuitry is fully discrete with a bandwidth of up to 350 MHz, ensuring the integrity of all progressive, high definition component, and HDMI signals.

Inputs and outputs for composite, S-Video, component, and HDMI are supported.

An on-screen display indicates status and facilitates system set-up.

FLASH memory enables easy software upgrades.

4 in X 1 out, wideband HDMI switching is compatible with today's HD video sources.

Instant-on OSD guarantees easy access to on-screen setup menu.

8 Channel, 3 Band, parametric equalizer is assignable per device.

Large, 80 character LCD display is white backlit for high visibility.

Richard
post #27 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I spoke to Krell today. The S1000 ships in two weeks. He also mentioned an hdmi 1.3 and 1080p video proc upgrade to this unit by the end of the year. The upgrade will cost around $1500.00 Customers will have the option to ship current s1000's in for the upgrade or the fully upgraded product will be available for around 8k. Interesting information.

Owner, AudioXtream.

Audioxtream.com
post #28 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

you know what sucks, there isn't one Anthem dealer in Kentucky , they are so strict that if you buy anywhere but in person, you can kiss your warranty good bye, I would love to get a avm40 to sit under my DVDO VP50 , but their warranty policies and lack of dealers or allowance of mail-ordering/online has hampered my interest in me really getting one

-Gary

I know it sucks but thats what makes the anthems really hold their value on audiogon. These things rarely stay for sale more than a couple of days. I cant see myself selling my d2 anytime soon but if I did I know I could unload it quickly
post #29 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I spoke to Krell today. The S1000 ships in two weeks. He also mentioned an hdmi 1.3 and 1080p video proc upgrade to this unit by the end of the year. The upgrade will cost around $1500.00 Customers will have the option to ship current s1000's in for the upgrade or the fully upgraded product will be available for around 8k. Interesting information.

Well....If you like to be the first on the block to try something out.........? Who knows how it sounds? Bugs? A scaler to 1080P AND HDMI 1.3 (an 8 layered, sophisticated board) all for $1500? Sounds like a lot of promises. Don't get me wrong, it may be a nice piece but why be the first to find out its not so great? This scaler in the processor thing is a nice add on but if scaling is really important, Lumagen, Crystallio, and others have excellent models dedicated to scaling.. Call me a purist or old-fashioned but I'd rather have my surround processor concentrate on one thing: surround sound. I'd leave all the extras out to separate components (if they are really needed). This is one reason I decided against the Anthem when I gave up on my MC-12B. Too much stuff in one box. I know many here enjoy there Anthems and I have experienced the sound of an Anthem processor first hand in a reference environment (Art Sonneborn's theater). It's a nice piece in his set up - but Art uses a Faroudja 5000 scaler. My processor does have a scaler built in to it.....but its not as good as a Lumgen or the likes, so I have it defeated. I wish Halcro would've left it out and saved me a grand.

Listen before you buy.

post #30 of 36 Old 04-03-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Well....If you like to be the first on the block to try something out.........? Who knows how it sounds? Bugs? A scaler to 1080P AND HDMI 1.3 (an 8 layered, sophisticated board) all for $1500? Sounds like a lot of promises. Don't get me wrong, it may be a nice piece but why be the first to find out its not so great?

Listen before you buy.

I agree Jeff, there are only a few choices of proven pre pros. whether it be Anthem, halcro or lex and great customer service is a must.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors