Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 94 Old 05-22-2007, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the release date for the jc-2? Are any reviews on the jc-2 going to come out?
post #63 of 94 Old 05-23-2007, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

rabbit,

Here's your answer:

"THD is at rated power."

mattburk: Release date is soon. I can't say until I clear it with Richard, but I actually found out tonight. Just didn't ask if I could share it. Reviews will be following shortly but let's just say this thing is the real deal.

Richard
post #64 of 94 Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 387
I recently bought an Halo A 52 to replace my Boston Acoustics A7200 amp and I am extremely happy with the A 52. The A7200 is a very good amp but the A 52 takes my system to the next level. I have more indepth thoughts on the A 52 in the Dynaudio thread in the speaker forum. I would highly recommend the A 52 without a doubt!

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #65 of 94 Old 06-01-2007, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

The JC2s are shipping now and boy do they sound great!

Richard
post #66 of 94 Old 06-01-2007, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I have some questions on the JC1:
1. How hot does it get & along with that what type of ventilation is needed?
2. How loud do the fans get?
3. How much power at idle does each unit draw?
4. Can you put both units on the same 15 amp circuit?
5. what is the frequency response on the amp? Is it limited to 120kHz?
post #67 of 94 Old 06-04-2007, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

1. warm; needs forced air ventilation if it's in a cabinet w/o lots of
space around it.
2. it doesn't have fans.
3. about 300w
4. yes, if the room isn't an auditorium and speakers aren't low sens.
5. is this important to you?

Richard
post #68 of 94 Old 06-04-2007, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

By the way here are the specifications for the JC1.

Continuous power output, 20Hz - 20 kHz:
400 watts RMS x 1, 8 ?
800 watts RMS x 1, 4 ?
1200 watts RMS x 1, 2 ?

Class A power output, 20Hz - 20 kHz:
25 watts, bias set to high, 8 ?
10 watts, bias set to low, 8 ?

Current capacity:
135 amperes peak

Power bandwidth:
2 Hz - 120 kHz, +0/-3 dB at 1 watt

Total harmonic distortion:
< 0.15 % at full power

IM distortion: balanced 16 V rms
< 0.03 %

Slew rate:
> 130 V/µsecond

Dynamic headroom:
> 1.8 dB

Input sensitivity:
1 V for 28.28 V, THX Reference Level

Input impedance:
100 k ?

S/N ratio:
>120 dB, IHF A-weighted, bias set to high
>122 dB, IHF A-weighted, bias set to low

Damping factor:
> 1200 at 20 Hz

Power Requirement :
250 watts idle 1280 watts full power into 4 ?

DC trigger output capacity :
+12 Vdc, 150 mA

Dimensions:
17-1/4" w x 7-5/8" h x 20 " d, 7 " h without feet

Net weight: 64 lb.

Richard
post #69 of 94 Old 06-04-2007, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

actually no, it is not. For some reason I read it as 20khz, my speakers go upt 35.
thanks
post #70 of 94 Old 06-04-2007, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Matt,

Call me tomorrow. Your PM box is full.

Richard
post #71 of 94 Old 06-06-2007, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I just read the forum & I cleaned out my pm's.
pm me if possible I will be out of town on thursday
post #72 of 94 Old 06-07-2007, 02:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSRichard View Post

rabbit,

Here's your answer:

"THD is at rated power."

Richard

I'm assuming that's at 8 ohms right? and not at 4 ohms ...

anyway, that's good enough for me, thanks Richard

Mike C
MKC International
SVSound Philippine Dealer
post #73 of 94 Old 06-30-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I don't quite understand Parasounds reluctance to add a workable HDMI solution to their Halo series Pre-pros or come out with another prepro with HDMI switching.

Nearly all of my source components use HDMI including standard DVD players. I have a HD DVR from the satellite company, a Denon DVD player, a D-VHS player, a HD DVD player, and a Blu-Ray player. All of them except for the VHS player have HDMI output. I purchased a ZHD HDMI switcher to go with the C1 and it handles the video. However, with one set of analog inputs, I have to choose which player to get the great audio and it is more than a little trouble to switch 6 cables each time I change sources in order to take advantage of the HD audio formats. Sure, I could use the optical or coax inputs to get regular DD or DTS but that sort of defeats the purpose of what Parasound is all about; the quest for the best sounding audio out there.

It doesn't look like HDMI will go away anytime soon (although I wish it would).

An interim solution would be a ZHD switcher with one set of analog outputs to hook to the C1 or something similar.

I have a lot of money sunk into a prepro that is only 3 years old and would like to see some sort of upgrade or trade in. I have been nothing but pleased with my C1 and your service department which I have used several times without any hassle. They are truly a step above most all of the other companies I have dealt with.

Thanks for your support of this forum.
post #74 of 94 Old 07-07-2007, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hi Guys:

How much is the New Classic Stereo Preamp 7100? And when will it ship?
post #75 of 94 Old 07-10-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Will Parasound be coming out with seven channel amps in the Halo line?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #76 of 94 Old 07-18-2007, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys here are some answers.

CINEMARAX - Did you mean to write Model 2100? It's on our website. $600 is its retail price. The first batch came in and was sold out in one day. We'll receive more sets in about 3 weeks and I don't know how many will remain after backorders are filled. 2 channel is popular and the Model 2100 was long-awaited.

Bill Mac - No plans for 7 channel amps in either line:
a) Too bulky
b) Too heavy; I won't put anyone at risk of a back injury: factory
workers, quality inspectors, packers, our warehouse staff, our QC inspectors, and end users.
c) Most systems are still 5.1 and there's no reason to pay for
channels you don't need. It's better to have a separate 2 channel power amp for
the L, R channels, anyway.

Those are from Richard Schram at Parasound.

Now as to the HMDI question, it's been stated to me from Parasound that specifically in regards to HDMI for audio, since the spec keeps changing, they do not want people to have to be tests subjects for new technology that may or may not work in concert with every other device yo might hook up to it. Also, remember that the manufacture time of new products. While people want HDMI, Parasound sort of has to wait for HDMI 1.3 to get worked out. That's what everyone wants isn't it? Yes I know HDMI 1.2 has the ability to send liinear PCM (7.1) over HDMI, but then again it's a new board and a new certification. If you aren't commodity like Denon, Marantz, Sony or Onkyo, then you have to wait and see approach without spending all your money certifying one board just to swap it out in 6 months. To a company the size of Parasound, it would be fiscally disastrous.

HDMI 1.3 is what everyone wants anyway, but since the chips just came out (Denon is supplying their new product late because of firmware upgrades to fix some bugs and Onkyo is havgin problems with their HDMI 1.3 receivers, nothing too serious but still tweaking is happening) then you understand why on the audio side, Parasound is taking a wait and see approach.

Also, there's nothing that says Parasound doesn't have HDMI 1.3. They do not comment on new or unreleased products. As much as I'd like to say I get the inside scoop on certain things, I don't on those.

I udnerstand your pain, I want nothing more than a nice new silver HDMI 1.3 laden pre/pro from them.

Richard
post #77 of 94 Old 09-03-2007, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

does the new classic 2100 preamp have any trickle down technology from the jc2? Are they completly different beasts?
post #78 of 94 Old 10-13-2007, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

A very reliable source recently told me that Parasound will show a new Halo prepro that will finally accept HDMI at CES in January 2008. No details were given as to the number of inputs or which version of HDMI it will be, but at least there is some light at the end of the tunnel now. The new prepro is planned for a mid 2008 release.

Cheers!
post #79 of 94 Old 10-14-2007, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

A very reliable source recently told me that Parasound will show a new Halo prepro that will finally accept HDMI at CES in January 2008. No details were given as to the number of inputs or which version of HDMI it will be, but at least there is some light at the end of the tunnel now. The new prepro is planned for a mid 2008 release.

Cheers!

That is a very interesting development, and seemingly at odds to what Richard Schram has been saying until now. I hope Parasound does hurry up and announce something officially very soon, otherwise I will leave the Parasound family in December when Denon starts shipping its new AVP-A1HD (which supports HDMI v1.3, decodes all the HD sound formats, and has XLR outputs).

I need a simple single box solution, i.e. something wife friendly. At the moment I am using an external video processor for video switching, and the Halo C2 for audio, and it's not wife friendly. Please Parasound, build a Halo quality ZHD that will do HDMI switching, AND strip the HDMI audio and send it to the C1/C2's 7.1 inputs, AND connect via RS232 for automation. And please announce it before the Denon AVP-A1HD starts shipping in December. Save my Halo C2 from needing to find a new home as it is a much loved family member where it is now.

p.s. My C2 is really really bugging me at the moment in that it keeps changing its SSP mode as the input signal type changes between DD2.0 and DD5.1 How can I force the SSP mode to stay in STEREO irrespective of input signal type.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
post #80 of 94 Old 10-14-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

gulliBell

I'm afraid that you are still going to have to part with the C2, as this info I was given was for a replacement prepro for the C1/C2, not some sort of external box that will interface with the current Halo prepros.
post #81 of 94 Old 10-14-2007, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
That's OK. It's self evident that the continued lifespan of C1/C2 was doomed in a market where new quality products featuring HDMI switching and HD sound format decoding, plus networking, 192kHz DACs and other sweet features, can be had for about the same price as (or cheaper than ) the Halo range. It must be a really difficult task for the Parasound dealers to sell new C1/C2's without these features, and if the dealers can't sell them then the product is doomed.

I'm sure many Parasound customers would like to stay loyal to the brand, but without an upgrade path for C1/C2 might see them abandon the brand completely for something else. I want to keep my C2, but I want it to do more. I would be happy to send it back to the factory for an upgrade if that's what it takes. The DSP and balanced boards can probably stay as they are, might only need a new motherboard and DACs.

I would have thought to get to market a plug-in box giving C1/C2 new life would be a much easier design and production proposition than building a whole new prepro.

Why not do a collaborative joint venture with another company, such as Anchor Bay, and rip the video section out of their product and put it in yours? Or at least design an interface where the 2 products can talk to each other, rip the audio out of the DVDO product and send it to the Halo. No point re-inventing the wheel. But then, it probably makes more commercial sense for the company to put a new product to the market rather than providing an upgrade path for existing owners.

Unfortunately Parasound will be left at the starting barrier if they don't announce something soon. If it turns out to be a new Halo prepro, I hope they have a trade-up program to keep their existing customers in the family. Much like what DVDO does with their video processor product range.

I await in eager anticipation, but unfortunately I expect a flood of C1/C2's to hit the 2nd hand market soon causing re-sale prices to fall. As much as I would like to stay loyal to Parasound, unfortunately I think my C2's days are numbered only as far as Christmas 07.

"My interest in home theater is not only that it annoys the wife, but if it was, then that would be enough"
post #82 of 94 Old 10-16-2007, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Richard Schram makes it a policy not to comment on unreleased product. CES could be a very exciting show for Parasound regarding this, but I don't really know. And this comes from me begging in his office to find out what's going on with HDMI 1.3.

What I will say is that HDMI 1.3 has always been on their mind and it's not from lack of effort or planning to put out a top notch product with new specs. I just don't know when that will happen.

Right now, they're in Moscow and in Europe, maybe I can pick his brain when he gets back some more.

Richard
post #83 of 94 Old 11-08-2007, 01:05 PM
b4z
Advanced Member

Where can I get detailed info on the new P7 preamp?
It is a very intriguing product since I don't need the processing.
Even parasound's website has almost no info on it?

And will we ever have the ability to dim the Halo blue lights?
They seem a little bright to me.
post #84 of 94 Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Detailed info won't be available for about another month because the product is a little behind schedule. Please check back in about a month, it'll be worth it.

Retail is $2000. Even has an iPod front panel input with a 12db auto gain offset. Gonna be slick.

No arrangements regarding the HALO blue lights, the design was started a ways back. But fortunately if it's a distraction, there are only two buttons which have the blue glow.

Richard
post #85 of 94 Old 12-14-2007, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Any new updates on new parasound gear?
post #86 of 94 Old 12-21-2007, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have any updates on new gear from parasound? Inparticular the new processor or dvd player.
post #87 of 94 Old 01-15-2008, 08:15 PM

I'm curious if my Classic 7100 will have an HDMI expansion port that can be added later down the road.
post #88 of 94 Old 02-02-2008, 01:15 AM

Hi All

Im planning to buy Rega P5 turntable .
In addition , im planning for a new amp systems as well.

My choice is Paraosund JC1 Mono amo with Parasound JC2 preamp .
As i look at the specs , it stated there : Line level inputs only; no inputs for phono .

Is this mean JC2 do not support phono stage ?

Can the above system support me to play turntable ?
post #89 of 94 Old 02-13-2008, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

For the JC1s and JC2 you need a phono preamp. The best we've seen is from Manley Steelhead, but you can get their Z custom if you want.

The JC2s and JC1s sound unreal and are incredibly detailed. I spent a lot of time with them in San Franciso at Parasound.

Richard
post #90 of 94 Old 02-13-2008, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

There are no new updates to their gear but I know they're working on stuff regarding HDMI 1.3 and the new codecs. My guess is we'll see the benefits of that closer to CEDIA or at CEDIA.

Richard
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page