2007 Onkyo AVR (TX-NR905, TX-SR875,805,705,605,575,505) Anticipation Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BH photo and video is a authorized dealer and is selling the TX-SR805..........just not as cheap as legacy...

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 06:35 AM

I am interested in the 705, primarily because it has three hdmi inputs. However, it has the Faroujda video proccesser instead of Reon. I have a Tosh X-A2, which has Reon. My question is: Does it make sense to have a Reon video signal processed by a Faroujda processor, and then sent on to the HDTV?
post #903 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

mmm.... may be you can force the signal to passthrough without processing.

I WANT THE USER MANUAL.. GAAAAAA !
post #904 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider518 View Post

I am interested in the 705, primarily because it has three hdmi inputs. However, it has the Faroujda video proccesser instead of Reon. I have a Tosh X-A2, which has Reon. My question is: Does it make sense to have a Reon video signal processed by a Faroujda processor, and then sent on to the HDTV?

The 705 won't touch your hdmi signal since it is already upscaled from the X-A2.
post #905 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytop View Post

In the first post, I found this:
"HDMI and Component Video Upconversion is discribed as follows (For 805/705/605/575/505:
*Signal is output at its input resolutionwith no scaling"

So apparently not. The 875 and 905 do.

The question is, do you really need or want your receiver doing the scaling? I doubt it.

Faroudja DCDi.. No, i don't need it. I want full HDMI audio support.

- Chip
post #906 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytop View Post

The question is, do you really need or want your receiver doing the scaling? I doubt it.

Why not? I'm not trying to argue, I actually don't know

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #907 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
It looks clear that the 805/705/605/575/505 will not mess with scaling the already processed signal from a player like the XA-2. My question is what the 875 and 905 would do? Re-scale and re-process everything?

Sergio

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #908 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by emptychair View Post

Will your HDTV do scaling, and if so it is probably just as capable as what you can find in the AVR...so no need for one in the AVR! You only need to scale it once...not multiple times, so the best scaling unit is the direction. A HDTV with excellent scaling capability is sufficient. You don't need it in the AVR. But it depends on your HDTV scaling abilities.
post #909 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:

Here is a link to a good article that kind of helps explain all of the upconverting/scaling options out there. It really just depends on the quality of your other equipment compared to the quality of the scaler in the receiver, as to whether or not you would want the receiver to do it.

Video Processing in Receivers, DVD's, and Displays
post #910 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Will your HDTV do scaling, and if so it is probably just as capable as what you can find in the AVR...so no need for one in the AVR! You only need to scale it once...not multiple times, so the best scaling unit is the direction. A HDTV with excellent scaling capability is sufficient. You don't need it in the AVR. But it depends on your HDTV scaling abilities.

Gotcha, thanks. That makes sense, I thought there was a drawback to having the scaling done in the AVR in general. I have a front projector with average at best scaling abilities, which is why I was looking at the 875 & 905.

Cheers,

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
post #911 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:

Gotcha, thanks. That makes sense, I thought there was a drawback to having the scaling done in the AVR in general. I have a front projector with average at best scaling abilities, which is why I was looking at the 875 & 905.

Cheers,

Does anyone have a Sony XBR TV?

I was wondering how this upscaler compares to what is being offered in these AVRs?

Jeff
post #912 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

I am looking at the 605 pretty seriously like many here. I currently have a Pioneer VSX-815k. It has served me well, but I want a receiver that:

Handles audio over HDMI for the handling of the new audio formats on HD DVD and Blu-ray as well as cutting down on cable clutter

Acts as a video switcher that will send all video connections through HDMI to my projector.

I have the HD-A2, the Dish VIP 622, and a Wii running though my receiver going to an Optoma HD70 720p projector. I have a 5.1 speaker system with Athena F1's and a C1 in the front with a Velodyne 12" sub (surrounds are Athena Point 5's). I have been looking at the Harmon Kardon 247 model along with the Onkyo 605. Other than the ability to decode the newer audio formats and passing the higher color fidelity video that will be available in the future, what are the advantages of the 605? They are in the same price range and seem pretty similar to me. Several people on here say H/K makes a superior product to Onkyo quality-wise.

So can someone give me a comparison of the two models. Also, do I really need the receiver to process these new audio formats if the hidef players will output PCM through HDMI to my receiver? Thanks for the help!

GO COLTS!!!
post #913 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMAC View Post

So can someone give me a comparison of the two models. Also, do I really need the receiver to process these new audio formats if the hidef players will output PCM through HDMI to my receiver? Thanks for the help!

The answer is in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789994

You are correct that the current HD DVD players will decode the new audio formats and send the output to the AVR for distribution. The decoding is not necessary in the AVR in this case.
post #914 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

The answer is in this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=789994

You are correct that the current HD DVD players will decode the new audio formats and send the output to the AVR for distribution. The decoding is not necessary in the AVR in this case.

OK. I guess I should have asked if there is a quality advantage to having the AVR decode it as is eluded to in the future-proof receiver thread when the original poster says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindahl in "Future Proof Receiver Thread" View Post

If you don't care about being at the mercy of the generally inferior DACs in your player (vs the DACs in your receiver) for 7.1 audio and switching between HDMI and Analog output for 5.1 and 7.1 sources, then receivers level 5 and higher are future proof.

Then you get this in the "Why you don't need HDMI 1.3" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J Human View Post

Some people have said that they are waiting for HDMI 1.3 as they want the decoding done in the AVR. There is no evidence that could improve the sound in any way. Even if it did, according to Dolby, it may not be possible on all discs...

I wasn't sure if having the decoding done by the AVR would yield the best sound quality or not. These two quotes by guys that know more than me about sound processing are basically conflicting. I probably will go with the Harmon Kardon, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a bad decision given the level of interest these new Onkyos are getting from people with more AVR experience than me. Thanks for the reply, bwclark.

GO COLTS!!!
post #915 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Decoding is not D/A conversion.

Having the player decode and send out LPCM via HDMI has nothing whatsoever to do with the player's DAC's, the D/A conversion happens in the AVR anyway. LPCM is still a digital signal, it's just been decoded from its original TrueHD,DTS MA,DD+. etc...
The "inferior DAC's" being referred to/assumed would only come into play if using a player's analog outputs.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #916 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMAC View Post

Then you get this in the "Why you don't need HDMI 1.3" thread:

I wasn't sure if having the decoding done by the AVR would yield the best sound quality or not. These two quotes by guys that know more than me about sound processing are basically conflicting. I probably will go with the Harmon Kardon, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a bad decision given the level of interest these new Onkyos are getting from people with more AVR experience than me. Thanks for the reply, bwclark.

I can't speak for everyone, but it all comes down to several reasons for me... which are:

1: Price! J&R has a REALLY good pre-order deal on the 605 (IMO).

2. Future Compatibility! I have a Toshiba HD-A2 which will decode Dolby TrueHD via HDMI... and I'm getting a PS3 which will output PCM and Dolby TrueHD... but does not currently decode DTS-HD MA... and no assurance that it ever will. While HDMI 1.3 features are not currently active on the PS3 (from my understanding), hopefully Sony will get around to this shortly.

3. Why Not?! My current receiver has no HDMI inputs, so getting the 605 compared to an earlier model just makes sense.

4. Brand Recognition! I've had three different brand receivers since I got into DVD. Kenwood was my first... and I enjoyed it, but I upgraded to Aiwa to get DTS decoding... plus, I gained more speaker wattage. The Aiwa broke a year later... so I upgraded to an Onkyo... and even though my wattage was a LOT LESS than the Aiwa, the sound quality was MUCH BETTER!! Definately my favorite receiver out of the three for sound quality...

~Alan

DirecTV SUBSCRIBER since 1995!
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views
of Alan Gordon, Alan Gordon Enterprises, Alan Gordon, Inc., or Alan Gordon Amalgamated.
post #917 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Well, I really like the idea of the Reon video processor (as long as they don't screw something up with the implementation). That way I can get superior upscaling of 480i, 720p, and 1080i sources (the latter, especially from satellite broadcasts) to 1080p. I do believe the Reon chip is much better than the scaler in the Samsung 1080p set I have.

Doesn't the Reon do motion-adaptive and pixel based de-interlacing? Any idea if DeepColor support is just pass-through, of if the video processor in the Onkyos really will allow you to upconvert various video sources to xvYCC color depths (as long as the display can handle it)?

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #918 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

darn..... i really want this receiver and the 605 does make alot of sense but guys help me out here....

I have the PS3, XBOX Elite, and the Directv HDDVR HR20...... now

1) if i get the 605, i can plug in my ps3 and xbox..... will the audio go with the hdmi cable?

2) if i get the 705, does the audio go through the hdmi cable with the directv receiver...

i want the minimize the cables in the background and if i can do that with all the devices i have, then i will get the 705 or 805, but if the directv or the xbox doesnt pass through the audio via the hdmi cable, then i will settle for the 605.

any help would be appreciated

post #919 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 09:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

The answer should be yes for both questions.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #920 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

but would the audio decode the dts, dolby digital and etc?

post #921 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sure

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
post #922 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVEN56706 View Post

darn..... i really want this receiver and the 605 does make alot of sense but guys help me out here....

I have the PS3, XBOX Elite, and the Directv HDDVR HR20...... now

1) if i get the 605, i can plug in my ps3 and xbox..... will the audio go with the hdmi cable?

2) if i get the 705, does the audio go through the hdmi cable with the directv receiver...

i want the minimize the cables in the background and if i can do that with all the devices i have, then i will get the 705 or 805, but if the directv or the xbox doesnt pass through the audio via the hdmi cable, then i will settle for the 605.

any help would be appreciated

Doesn't HDMI pass the audio with the video from *all* of those sources?
And once the receiver gets the audio info (605 or higher) doesn't it decode all of the codecs (if sent via bitstream)?
I'm trying to understand them too, but it seems the 605 should serve these needs, yes? I am asking because my setup is similar (but with a Comcast Motorola HD DVR).

Jeff
post #923 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I do believe the Reon chip is much better than the scaler in the Samsung 1080p set I have.

Dan

How do you evaluate this? I am getting an XBR2 and want to know how you compare high level AVR scalers (such as the 905 etc) with a high end HDTV scaler (such as your Samsung or my Sony XBR)? If the TV does a good enough job, I will probably just get the 605 without the Reon.

Feedback?

Jeff
post #924 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehead1 View Post

Can someone please explain to me why I should get a 605 instead of a 575? I will be using this for watching DVDs, playing the Xbox360, and using my HTPC. I am a noob, and I can't tell why I should spend the extra money on the 605. Also, where are the audio connections that correspond to the component video inputs? I can't tell from the pictures that have been posted.

Thanks a lot for this thread and for all of your help.

Ok, I've been a noob at this so I'll help the noob out...

I would recommend you re-read the first post and compare features of the receivers.

More specifically on models 575 and lower: *HDMI 1.3 Video Pass Through (2 in 1 out)

On Models 605-805: *Full A/V Processing via HDMI 1.3a with Upconversion

If you read through the posts, there are quite a few references to the 605 and why people are interested in it. In regards to the component video inputs, look carefully on the features (specifically the 3rd feature listed on every model) and you'll notice there is component on every model just a matter of how many.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but I would like to teach you how to fish vs. re-posting the same question that has already been answered numerous times. Search is your friend.

-Splints
post #925 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip E View Post

Faroudja DCDi.. No, i don't need it. I want full HDMI audio support.

I may be off the mark here, but what does the Faroudja do with Audio? I thought the DCDi was a video processing-only chip...

-Splints
post #926 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizaref1 View Post

THe 605 receive and process both audio and video (480i to 480p or pass through up to 1080p) in the hdmi.

And once the receiver gets the audio info (605 or higher) doesn't it decode all of the codecs (if sent via bitstream)?

Yes

I'm trying to understand them too, but it seems the 605 should serve these needs, yes?

yes

I am asking because my setup is similar (but with a Comcast Motorola HD DVR).

Jeff

Remember the 605 has 2 to 1 for the hdmi but the 705 (as far as I know) Will have 3 to 1 for the hdmi

hope this helps.
post #927 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splinters View Post

I may be off the mark here, but what does the Faroudja do with Audio? I thought the DCDi was a video processing-only chip...

-Splints

The Faroudja is for video. Deinterlacing the 480i signal to 480p but it will pass the 720p, 1080i and 1080p right along
post #928 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 10:53 AM

THe 605 receives and processes both audio and video (480i to 480p or pass through up to 1080p) in the hdmi.

Yes

I'm trying to understand them too, but it seems the 605 should serve these needs, yes?

yes

I am asking because my setup is similar (but with a Comcast Motorola HD DVR).

No Problem with asking, thats what we are all here for. To get our questions answered and for the meaning of live make a little more sense
post #929 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusRho View Post

THe 605 receives and processes both audio and video (480i to 480p or pass through up to 1080p) in the hdmi.

the PS3 bluray sends video via 480p yes? I understand 480i may not be capable. And this 480p is not processed at all by the 605? Do I have it right so far?

But if the 605 sends out HDMI video 480p the TV (a Sony XBR2 for example) will "upgrade" (or whatever the word is) to 1080p? or no?
post #930 of 7304 Old 04-27-2007, 11:08 AM

Hey, I hate to quote myself and I know some of you will hate me for it too, but I don't seem to have gotten an answer on this bit yet. I just pre-ordered the 605 and don't want to have made a mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapermc View Post

Also, if anyone would be so kind to tell me if this set up will work for the input on the 605 so that I know for sure that would be greatly appreciated:

Upscaling DVD Player: HDMI 1080p (audio & video)
PS3: HDMI 1080p (audio & video)
Xbox 360: VGA (straight to TV) and optical (audio)
Xbox: Component (video) Optical (audio)
Wii: Component (video) Red/White (audio)
Misc a/v components: Composite (audio & video)

I want to make sure that I can hook all these up at the same time and not have to worry about a switcher box of any kind. I don't mind needing to hook up component video and hdmi to the TV, but I don't want to have have to use a switcher box.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page