Onkyo Integra P-304/M-504 Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2007, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, I know this is OLD equipment. I have had it boxed up for years and finally decided to unpack and set up. I am using a SONY DVD player, DVP-NS400D to play CDs. I connected it up to the CD inputs on the pre-amp (P-304). The "interesting" problem is that the volume level is REALLY loud compared to my DENON AVR4806 (when played in stereo mode).

My question concerns the output from the DVD player, I am concerned that since the system is 20 years old that maybe the CD inputs on the pre-amp are not designed for the output levels for todays CD/DVD players. Does anybody have any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations? The amp get's warm, but does not get hot by any means.

After listening to it for a while, I am beginning to think that the "loudness" I am hearing is just the difference in the power of dual mono amps verse the multi-channel amps in the DENON.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Ok doesn't anyone have any thoughts?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 AM

What you are hearing is the benefit of an awesome power amp/pre-amp combo.. I just dusted off this same set up for a client and was really impressed with the performance. On my personal system, I don't really see much of an output level variation between CD and DVD. I think your analysis is spot on.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:17 PM

My question concerns the output from the DVD player, I am concerned that since the system is 20 years old that maybe the CD inputs on the pre-amp are not designed for the output levels for todays CD/DVD players. Does anybody have any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations? The amp get's warm, but does not get hot by any means.

I have the same P-304 / M-504 set up since 1988 at which time I paid 649 for the amp and 369 for the pre amp. I purchased the EQ-35 and some other Onkyo components at the same time.  Still use the tuner and the EQ.  Great system with little issues over 26 years.  

I thought you might have used the phono input instead of the CD input; therefore, making the phono preamp for moving magnet cartridges come into play - selector button on front of pre amp MM/MC.  Not likely though as you would obviously be using the CD switch to control the DVD player.  The one thought that might be helpful - does your DVD player have an output adjustment knob on the back permitting you to adjust the output to match other components?   I hear no difference in volume when switching from stereo to mono on any component.  Not sure why your's increases volume?

The only change I would have liked are the speaker connection posts on the amp.  They are not as functional as should be.

Enjoy!