Buying a used Anthem D2 or AVM50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-25-2007, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know if the warranty, etc., is transferable either of these pieces used?

Any other issues you all know of regarding used Anthem products?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-25-2007, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Lem View Post

Mark,

The warranty is not transferable. I bought my AVM 30 used off of audiogon and have not had a single problem. I bought it from someone about 70-80 miles away from me and he told me if I had any issues he would bring it in for me.

I was lucky in that regard and also that the unit is in excellent condition. I have not read many posts from people who have had issues with used Anthem gear.

Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-25-2007, 11:04 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I also have a used AVM30 and have no issues at all. The way I figure it, even if it did have to be serviced, as unlikely as that seems, the cost of the repair would be less than the money I saved by buying a used pre/pro. I love the used marketplace. If one is careful you can build a fantastic system for pennies on the dollar. As my Vandersteen Model 2CE's that I purchased for $300 can attest!
post #4 of 19 Old 04-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
From what I understand, you could buy a used avm20v2 or D1 and have it upgraded to a avm50/D2.

Then you'd have a warranty from anthem.

I've seen some avm20 selling for $1200, the upgrade should be between $1700-$2000 for the hdmi/scaler.

Regards,
Jose
post #5 of 19 Old 04-25-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_L View Post

From what I understand, you could buy a used avm20v2 or D1 and have it upgraded to a avm50/D2.

I've seen some avm20 selling for $1200, the upgrade should be between $1700-$2000 for the hdmi/scaler.

Regards,
Jose

Actually a mint, used AVM20 an be had for well under a thousand dollars. And while they will do the upgrade, they will only warrant the parts they replace. But I agree with you. I purchased my used AVM30 and I intend to use it until the war between blu-Ray and HD-DVD is over. When the clear winner emerges, I will upgrade my 30 to a 50, buy the player that wins and not look back.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-25-2007, 01:50 PM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
You can also get the remaining warranty if you purchase the used machine from an authorized Anthem dealer -- for example if the dealer took in the machine from a customer trading up.
--Bob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #7 of 19 Old 04-25-2007, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Wow under G! For a AVM 20, nice where can I get one use.

DJoel

post #8 of 19 Old 04-25-2007, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I am not really familiar with the used market as I tend to keep my equipment. Also, Audiogon IF considered a reference for used equipment sales has these sale prices on the Anthem AVM 20 ver. 2. I don't have an account with Audiogon, but asked a friend to see what the recent sale prices have been.

Anthem AVM-20 Ver.2 Black

Average - $1720
HIgh - $1930
Low - $1430
Last - $1430

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #9 of 19 Old 04-25-2007, 10:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by atdamico View Post

Actually a mint, used AVM20 an be had for well under a thousand dollars. And while they will do the upgrade, they will only warrant the parts they replace. But I agree with you. I purchased my used AVM30 and I intend to use it until the war between blu-Ray and HD-DVD is over. When the clear winner emerges, I will upgrade my 30 to a 50, buy the player that wins and not look back.

Where have you seen them go for well under a grand? Lowest I have seen is $1200-1300. Not that I am looking just curious .

Bill

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-26-2007, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unless finances are preventing you from upgrading now, why wait for the results of a format war before upgrading?

It that's the case (waiting for format war to end), you may be looking at an AVM-60.

I doubt your viewing will be 100% HD discs, and since the Gennum chip offers improvements across the board......

........Edited due to improper wording..........

Mark

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - - Stephen Roberts
post #11 of 19 Old 04-26-2007, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Cant be had for under 1000, or well under for that matter. Maybe once in a blue moon someone gets hard up for cash, but it'd be easier to find dinasour bones in your backyard!
Expect to pay around 1700.00 if it is is good shape, no scratches, perfect working order etc, also dont worry if it is the upgraded version or not, as that is a simple download from the anthem site, and doesnt make one worth more money than one that has not been upgraded, the upgrade is basically a time savor, no-one spent a dime to have theirs upgraded, unless they took it into the dealer and got charged a 25.00 bench fee or something.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-26-2007, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

By upgraded version, I mean v1, or v1.2, etc. (the simple downloads) not the hdmi switching upgrade, which needs to be sent to Anthem, or a certified dealer, then you would be paying much more anyways, well above the 1700.
post #13 of 19 Old 04-26-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatchaks View Post

Unless finances are preventing you from upgrading now, why wait for the results of a format war before upgrading?

It that's the case, you may be looking at an AVM-60.

I doubt your viewing will be 100% HD discs, and since the Gennum chip offers improvements across the board......

Mark

My HDTV is 7 years old and unfortunatly does not offer HDMI or 1080p. So when I upgrade my pre\\pro that also means upgrading my monitor. I will be going with a projector so want to have a much larger room than my current one (17' 20') By the time the DVD format war is over, I will be situated (I hope) in my new home in Colorado and will begin my upgrade then. Make sense?
post #14 of 19 Old 04-26-2007, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

I am not really familiar with the used market as I tend to keep my equipment. Also, Audiogon IF considered a reference for used equipment sales has these sale prices on the Anthem AVM 20 ver. 2. I don't have an account with Audiogon, but asked a friend to see what the recent sale prices have been.

Anthem AVM-20 Ver.2 Black

Average - $1720
HIgh - $1930
Low - $1430
Last - $1430

You can't go by what those asking prices are. You need to make offers. Some of those pre/pros have been on the market for quite a while. Sometimes you will see only a few up for sale and sometimes you will see a lot of them up for sale. If you wait until you see more than a handful, pick the ones that have the longest time associated with them and make an offer. Don't be in a hurry and you will usually get what you want at a decent price. Also don't rule out Ebay. While I have purchased most of my used equipment from Audiogon, I have also purchased some from Ebay which can be just as good, if you are careful, as Audigon in the used market. Its all about timing and supply. I purchased my silver face 30 in mint condition, from the original owner, for less than what you show as the average for the 20's. And it has the latest software.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-26-2007, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_L View Post

Regards,
Jose

Is this for sure, a 20 can be upgraded to a 50? Do you have to send directly to Anthem yourself or can you take your 20 to a local dealer and have them send it in and get it back?
post #16 of 19 Old 04-26-2007, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can't go by what those asking prices are. You need to make offers. Some of those pre/pros have been on the market for quite a while. Sometimes you will see only a few up for sale and sometimes you will see a lot of them up for sale. If you wait until you see more than a handful, pick the ones that have the longest time associated with them and make an offer. Don't be in a hurry and you will usually get what you want at a decent price. Also don't rule out Ebay. While I have purchased most of my used equipment from Audiogon, I have also purchased some from Ebay which can be just as good, if you are careful, as Audigon in the used market. Its all about timing and supply. I purchased my silver face 30 in mint condition, from the original owner, for less than what you show as the average for the 20's. And it has the latest software.

You seem to be in tune with the used market. Are the prices on Audigon asking prices, or final sale prices that reflect the history?

I know you are conveying here that your personal method is to wait until the market is somewhat saturated with a specific piece, view the days listed and then make your offer.

Most users want to buy low and then sell high. Simple capitalism principles. However, buyers and sellers do need some form of history to determine their pricing structure. Whether they bend on their initial asking price versus the final sale price is their decision.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #17 of 19 Old 04-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Read the FAQ!

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:

Is this for sure, a 20 can be upgraded to a 50? Do you have to send directly to Anthem yourself or can you take your 20 to a local dealer and have them send it in and get it back?

No it is not for sure. But if it does happen, you will have to send it to the Anthem factory.

Anthem and Anthem dealers have been saying that such upgrades will be available for over a year now, and it hasn't happened yet. It's not clear why, but the assumption is that they are so backed up building new AVM-50's that they just don't have the capacity to do upgrades as well.

However, they HAVE been upgrading Anthem Statement D1 products to D1-HD (i.e., to a D2 except with a different label) since the beginning of the year. So odds are AVM-20 or AVM-30 to AVM-50 upgrades will, eventually, start being offered as well.
--Bob

. -- Need personal consultation/training?
post #18 of 19 Old 04-30-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 164
If these upgrade don't start soon I am going to post mine Silver face AVM 30 for sale on Audiogon 2000. Firm

I am a bit tiered of all this wait, unless they are doing something special,like HDMI 1.3 .Which I doubt,but would be nice....I am dreaming here of course.

DJoel

post #19 of 19 Old 04-30-2007, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozvz View Post

You seem to be in tune with the used market. Are the prices on Audigon asking prices, or final sale prices that reflect the history?

Depends.

When I sell goods on Audiogon and have the opportunity to log a sale price for the records, I will only post my asking price, not my actual selling price. So if the majority of members are like me, those prices will reflect the asking price and not the actual selling price.

Mike
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page