Noob question on Amps and PreAmps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-02-2007, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What exactly are a Amp and a PreAmp? How, in a nutshell do they add to your overall sound over just having a receiver? Sorry if this is such a basic question it's just that I don't know and I couldn't find distinctive answers. Also, where can I find a good basic introduction on the components of a home theater and what each part does? Thanks in advance for reading this and your responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 57
A receiver consists of 3 basic components:

1. A preampflier. It accepts the line level inputs, and controls the volume, and switching between the various inputs, such as DVD, cable box, cd player, etc. In the case of a home theater preamp, also known as a preamp/processor, or prepro for short, it also decodes the dolby digital, DTS, etc surround modes.

2/ An ampflier, it takes the line level input from the preamp and amplifies it to a level that the speakers can use. it typically has no volume controls, usually only an on/off switch.

3. A tuner, to receive AM/FM radio signals.

As you have seen, you can get these components separately from a receiver, which allows you to mix and match the best features with the proper power for your application. The individual components also have the advantage of separate power supplies, instead of a single power supply providing power for all the components, as in the case of a receiver.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-02-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

I see now all those parts can be found in a receiver. You said that there is a benefit to having the separate parts and that it creates separate power supplies. How is this a benefit? Also if you already have a preamp and a amp is there any need for a receiver? Sorry again if this is too basic but as the title states its a noob question.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-03-2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd68 View Post

I see now all those parts can be found in a receiver. You said that there is a benefit to having the separate parts and that it creates separate power supplies. How is this a benefit? Also if you already have a preamp and a amp is there any need for a receiver? Sorry again if this is too basic but as the title states its a noob question.

The way power ratings are attained is different from a Receiver and an Amplifier. Put simply a reciever rated at 125 wpc will not play NEARLY as loudly or with the same "control" as a seperate amp paired with a preamp. Many believe that if you can seperate out the signals of each of those items they will be able to perform the task they are designed for MUCH better. I agree with this theory.

There is NO reason for a reciever if you have a Pre amp and power amp set up. You may need to add a "tuner" if you want to pick up radio stations, but that would be the only thing missing.

I use Rotel gear and find it to be the best bang for the buck in the seperates category, though many say the Outlaw gear is VERY GOOD! I have not listened to it personally.

As for how much you can spend and what you can get the sky is the limit! There are preamps that cost $20,000 (most of those are 2 channel, so they DON'T EVEN DO Home theater!!), there are amps that are $50,000 EACH and power only ONE speaker! You can probably get a good Outlaw or Rotel set up for 5.1 or maybe 7.1 for about $5k or even less.

James M.
Austin, TX
Found and bought the 70" SONY!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page