Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Kipp,
I'm curious, what speakers are u driving, rated impedance and efficiency?

Thanks,
ss9001

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2007, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This intrigues me. Neural THX sounds pretty good. I want the 92

"The choices we make define our lives, because choice, not chance, determines destiny"

They call me the 18 year old DJ Audiophile-upgradeitis infected-guy!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Geez, with so much going on, its darn hard to choose which unit to get! Really wanted the Elite, as I has the 59 that was great, but I have also had the Onkyo 939 ages ago that was rock solid (and STILL works great!) So now I am torn between waiting for maybe the 92/94, or the Onkyo 805. I did read in the Pioneer news that theirs will do 1080p/24, but haven't seen what the Onkyo 805 will do . . . .
Old 05-11-2007, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83 View Post

Just get a Denon receiver and DVD player with Denon Link if you so desperately need the benefits of separate hi-res digital audio streams. Besides, Denon's sub-$1000 DVD player that has Denon Link is better than Pioneer's best offering in terms of overall performance.

It even seems that Denon Link will have a longer life span although it's proprietary. This is just a friendly thought in case you haven't purchased either a receiver or universal DVD player yet.

True... I'm just waiting for their newer receivers (and may be the rumored pre-pro) came out before making any decision. I have a 3910 anyway so if Pioneer dropped i.Link the Denons may get my vote.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipp Jones View Post

Joe,
I had a 49TXi before my 84TX and the sound quality is the same.

hmmmm ... I have a 59txi now, and I heard a 84tx, and I distinctly felt the 59 is better...

maybe because I am the owner so I'm biased but I believe the 59 has a better MCACC. Also the 59 is the only receiver I know in existence that provides an active "phantom center" management (something called "Real Phantom"). This feature is extremely useful when you have a large screen and there is no place to put a center speaker.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:38 AM

Anyone know which calibration technology is better? Audysey XT or MCACC?
Old 05-12-2007, 01:48 AM

that comment reffers to i-link support.....

Pioneer new amps vsx 90-70-60 will have i link ...

|I didn't get where you are so sure that the company aborted the standard....

just to be sure visit http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/vsxlx70/vsxlx70lrg.jpg

and see carefully the image :
there is the ilink light in the display of the receiver in the SIGNAL department....
Old 05-12-2007, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My 56TXi is the last mid level beast from Pioneer.. We need a new one for sure. Helluva prepro (for a receiver). I'd like to see something state of the art, like what i currently use.

- Chip
Old 05-12-2007, 06:15 AM

Is anyone else disappointed that Pioneer didn't seem to include an ethernet connection? This was one of the features I was holding out hope for with their new line. I really wanted to be able to gain access to my network for direct access to digital audio and possible for video playback. With the increasing convergence with PCs and digital audio and video, does this seem strange that Pioneer opted not to include this connection.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My 56TXi is the last mid level beast from Pioneer.. We need a new one for sure. Helluva prepro (for a receiver). I'd like to see something state of the art, like what i currently use.

Yep, the high water mark in that price range with the Pioneer Elite range for sure. I would rather have a $2000 Pioneer Elite with the shielding, better structure, higher quality components, better capacitors and power supply it had than a $1600 version that has been cheapened to get all the bells and whistles at a particular price point.

If Sony comes out with a 7200 receiver with HDMI 1.3 support (all the codecs) I will probably replace my 56 with it instead of the Pioneer. I listen to SACDs a lot and I know they use DSD processing all the way through to the power amplifier (no matter the source) and that is the one that matters most to me.

Ethernet would be nice too for software updates, these things have been computers as well as receivers for quite a while, they should be able to interact more with other computers.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psnl1 View Post

Is anyone else disappointed that Pioneer didn't seem to include an ethernet connection? This was one of the features I was holding out hope for with their new line. I really wanted to be able to gain access to my network for direct access to digital audio and possible for video playback. With the increasing convergence with PCs and digital audio and video, does this seem strange that Pioneer opted not to include this connection.

Same for me: that's a deal killer.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

They want you to buy the BD player with its built-in ethernet connection for networked media. Just another grand.

ss9001

Steve
Old 05-12-2007, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssak View Post

that comment reffers to i-link support.....

Pioneer new amps vsx 90-70-60 will have i link ...

|I didn't get where you are so sure that the company aborted the standard....

just to be sure visit http://www.avland.co.uk/pioneer/vsxlx70/vsxlx70lrg.jpg

and see carefully the image :
there is the ilink light in the display of the receiver in the SIGNAL department....

It does appear that the Euro version has ILink, so US may also. Still, even if true, why not mention it in the press release? With Chris Walker at BD div. saying no Ilink products for US, it gives the strong impression Pioneer is abandoning Ilink. Great lost marketing opportunities for ILink SACD/DVDA users.
Good job, Pioneer

ss9001

Steve
Old 05-12-2007, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
It`s official

No more i Link

All new Pioneer "Elite" 90 series A / V Reciv. will not have i Link.

Recieved an e-mail from Pioneer yesterday , and BB will not be getting the up-graded batch of the `84TXSi the end of the month ( May ) like they were going to.

There new BD player is not a "universal player" either , so much for SACD and Audio DVD`s.

G.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

That will make it easier to switch over to the Onkyo 875. I think they have the line to beat. My dv-79avi and 74tsvi have been a great combination, but, without that i link, I guess it is time to move on.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

It`s official

No more i Link

All new Pioneer "Elite" 90 series A / V Reciv. will not have i Link.

Recieved an e-mail from Pioneer yesterday , and BB will not be getting the up-graded batch of the `84TXSi the end of the month ( May ) like they were going to.

There new BD player is not a "universal player" either , so much for SACD and Audio DVD`s.

G.

We will wait and see (may be the Euro 70 and 90 are the US/Cadn 94 and "99" w/ i.Link) but if that is the case Denon here I come, prob. will be getting the new "4808" if one is in the pipe, a NOS 5805CI Mk II, or may be the rumored pre-pro if I could afford it at the time. At least they will prob. keep the Denon-link alive for high-res audio.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm going the same way..I'll wait until the end of '07, but then I'm moving on.

If Pioneer hasn't announced a new flagship by year's end or has no US receivers with ILink, then I'll be buying another hi end product, most likely the Denon 5805 or its updated replacement. I'd also look at an Integra since they have an ILink option.

I'm not counting on Anthem to provide it, since they haven't yet.
ss9001

Steve
Old 05-12-2007, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

I'm going the same way..I'll wait until the end of '07, but then I'm moving on.

If Pioneer hasn't announced a new flagship by year's end or has no US receivers with ILink, then I'll be buying another hi end product, most likely the Denon 5805 or its updated replacement. I'd also look at an Integra since they have an ILink option.

I'm not counting on Anthem to provide it, since they haven't yet.
ss9001

Anthem will never have ilink. They have put all their resources into HDMI.

I too am waiting to replace my 59TXi. Unless I am mistaken it still appears that MCACC only handles 60HZ and above. Is this correct? I can't believe they don't offer a subwoofer EQ yet like EVERYONE else.

I sure hope they have a newer version or MCACC or IMHO they are behind the curve.

Brian R. Smith
Old 05-13-2007, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickB View Post

That will make it easier to switch over to the Onkyo 875. I think they have the line to beat. My dv-79avi and 74tsvi have been a great combination, but, without that i link, I guess it is time to move on.

I totally agree -- I bought the 56txi and 59avi combo in large part because of synergy of the two pieces. I'll likely move on from Pioneer as well... I'm also discouraged by the seeming cheapening of the internal parts.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:55 AM
AST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapidlittle View Post

Faroudja scalers are a bit outdated I think.

I agree, would it have killed them to use a Reon processor that way it could have scaled and processed all my video needs?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:45 AM

yep same here after owning the 56txi for 3 years, i was dissapointed by the sound of the 82 and seeing that it no longer offers i link or ethernet support i will be parting ways with pioneer because the amp section is not that great and internals are rather cheap, i think for the money the new onkyo receivers have more to offer so i may be going that direction.

HD-DVD COUNT:141
BLU-RAY:192
X360 GAMERTAG:trickygmoney80
Old 05-13-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope someone at Pioneer is reading this thread!

Steve
Old 05-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

DAMN YOU!

Just got the 82 TSX a month ago...now I want the 92. New products kill me!!
Old 05-13-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I dont understand why Pioneer are shooting themselves in the foot. Dropping I-Link seems like an uninformed bean counters decision.

If you remove I-Link from your elite receivers then you immediately lose the captive advantage of existing customers using I-Link, customer who would have only considered Pioneer seriously due to having an I-Link player can now pick from Onkyo, Denon, Marantz and others because buying the Pioneer amp no longer offers a feature advantage.

Also, why not include I-Link on the new BD player? True Hd and other HD formats could be decoded to PCM and sent over ILink, I-Link is capable of 5.1 24/192 PCM on most amps!

BTW: The European LX50 does not have Ilink:
http://www.areadvd.de/news/2007/2007...SX_LX_50.shtml
Old 05-13-2007, 05:03 PM

"and see carefully the image :
there is the ilink light in the display of the receiver in the SIGNAL department.... "

I'm not so sure. The icon looks like the old I-Link icon but its white, not blue, and the letters next to it read "HDMI".
Old 05-13-2007, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

That's what I was trying to say (but maybe not well) that the "I" symbol had HDMI next to it. And that coupled with no mention of ILink anywhere, leads me to question its inclusion.

ss9001

Steve
Old 05-13-2007, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Could it be possible that the new HDMI 1.3 (with CEC?) makes I-Link no longer neccessary? That would make more senes, and open up more connectable equipment through a common link.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by c722 View Post

hmmmm ... I have a 59txi now, and I heard a 84tx, and I distinctly felt the 59 is better...

maybe because I am the owner so I'm biased but I believe the 59 has a better MCACC. Also the 59 is the only receiver I know in existence that provides an active "phantom center" management (something called "Real Phantom"). This feature is extremely useful when you have a large screen and there is no place to put a center speaker.

Are you aware..
That any AVR that includes Dolby Digital 5.1 includes a Bass Manager, and one can turn OFF the Center loudspeaker. In that case the Center channel dialog is mixed to the Front L/R loudspeakers..
Old 05-13-2007, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

"Could it be possible that the new HDMI 1.3 (with CEC?) makes I-Link no longer neccessary? That would make more senes, and open up more connectable equipment through a common link. "

Except there are no universal players that natively send DSD over HDMI. All convert to downsampled PCM first, negating some of the advantages of DSD. ILink was the only pre-HDMI way to get the full benefit of SACD. Either the DAC's in the receivers or separate chips decoded DSD into PCM after bass mgmt. IF players came out that used the capabilities of HDMI for SACD, then you're correct. But until that day....

So leaving out that one feature completely abandons owners who have deliberately bought a Pioneer receiver & dedicated Pioneer player to avoid the limitations of the alternatives. Furthermore, Pioneer themselves has not included SACD or DVD-A into their BD players with or without HDMI 1.3.

HDMI is NOT a universal solution yet. It's implementation by the industry has not been pretty.

Steve
Old 05-13-2007, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 133
iLink is too expensive to implement in both the AVR and optical player, its been fading for the last couple of years and now is gone..
Regarding the SACD format, Sony has already pulled the plug on the format so it too is not a demand feature going forward..

Though some can debate the format and longevity..
History has shown that Sony has abandoned various formats in the past..
Such as Beta, MiniDisc, El Casstte..
Now add SACD to the stack..