Simaudio Owners Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 491 Old 03-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Titan is dynamic and natural, and smooth as silk.
My setup...
Titan 5ch
Dali Euphonia MS4 -mains
Dali Euphonia CS4 -center
Von Schweikert TS350 - rears
Cary 11a- pre/pro(for now)
Placette Passive Linestage- music pre

Jose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 491 Old 03-27-2009, 05:33 PM

hi Jose,i had a chance to get a 11a but wasn't sure of the firmwear bull .....how do you like it....doesn't sound like a keeper??
post #273 of 491 Old 03-27-2009, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclsound View Post

hi Jose,i had a chance to get a 11a but wasn't sure of the firmwear bull .....how do you like it....doesn't sound like a keeper??

Not if cary doesn't fix what's wrong! You should read the 11a owner's thread.
I have to say, when it's working, it sounds damn good.

Jose.
post #274 of 491 Old 04-06-2009, 09:53 PM

I have an older 5080i, 80 watt/channel integrated. A lovely unit and about 8-10 years old. It has always had a hum from the case when powered up. Is this typical with SimAudio integrateds?
I didn't want to be without it for ages so never sent it in but if there is a fix I'd like to know about it. It did have the fuse changed when new - could it be the wrong value??
I'll check with SimAudio as well. Music has always sounded great through it, by the way.
Thanks!
post #275 of 491 Old 04-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, it's official. I just packed the 11a for shipping back to my dealer for a used Krell HTS 7.1. Should be a great match for the Sim Titan.

Jose.
post #276 of 491 Old 04-07-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterseat View Post

I have an older 5080i, 80 watt/channel integrated. A lovely unit and about 8-10 years old. It has always had a hum from the case when powered up. Is this typical with SimAudio integrateds?
I didn't want to be without it for ages so never sent it in but if there is a fix I'd like to know about it. It did have the fuse changed when new - could it be the wrong value??
I'll check with SimAudio as well. Music has always sounded great through it, by the way.
Thanks!

I have the I-3 and I also have small hum but only if I put my ear to my speaker's tweeter. I called Sim and was told this is normal especially since I have high effcient speakers
post #277 of 491 Old 04-10-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post

Well, it's official. I just packed the 11a for shipping back to my dealer for a used Krell HTS 7.1. Should be a great match for the Sim Titan.

Jose,you have to let me know the sound quality comparison,i was looking at this combo myself at one point?? Sim has nothing to offer!!!! Unless you have $18,000!! I was also looking at Classe??
john
post #278 of 491 Old 04-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jose,you have to let me know the sound quality comparison,i was looking at this combo myself at one point?? Sim has nothing to offer!!!! Unless you have $18,000!! I was also looking at Classe??
john

Well, I had the S1000 for about a year before the 11A so I was confident that the HTS would be just as good or even better with pass-through. Unfortunately, the HTS I got was defective. Faulty DSP board, no audio with digital sources, no pink noise when calibrating speakers, but pass-through works fine. Sending back and getting another.

Sound was just as I remembered, sparkled highs and bass more defined and articulate. Soundstage is airier with more depth. The 11a sounds soundstage collapses a bit towards the center. Besides the 11A LFE bug, there's quite a bit wrong with that processor(too long to get into...). Did listen briefly to HTS 2ch passthrough and I would say that it's better than the S1000 from what I remembered. The S1000 sounded "processed" compared the the HTS.

From what I've heard, I can say that the HTS will more than keep me happy till HDMI is more stable in a year or so. Might not even have to upgrade since there's no advantage.

Jose.

Jose.
post #279 of 491 Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Has anyone ever compared the sound of a Simaudio Amplifier to a Pass Labs unit?

I now have a Simaudio W-5 which is driving a pair of Dyanudio Confidence C4's. On occasion the W-5 seems to be just a little shy on punch for the C4's with 2-channel music.

I would love to move to a Simaudio W-8, but even used it is more than I want to pay...

I am considering a Pass Labs X250 or X350 - would I be moving to the dark side if I made this choice?

I would still be using my Simaudio Titan for my other 5 channels and one concern is how the sound of the Pass Labs unit would mate with the Titan that is driving my Confidence Center.

For movies the seamless sound from the front with the W-5 and the Titan is amazing. The occasional lack of punch on the fronts for mainly music where I run the C4's as full range is what is noticeable. I use a 40-Hz crossover for movies with the lower frequencies going to my HGS-18 for movies and notice no lack of punch. However, for 2-channel music the HGS-18 just can't keep up with the C4's so I go full range with the C4's.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
post #280 of 491 Old 05-06-2009, 05:22 AM

Hi!

I have system Sim Moon i-1; CD-1 with Dynaudio Excite x32 in small room (3m x 3.5m). I would like to know what kind of interconnect and speaker cable I should use to get best out of it (silver or copper). Also I would like to know your opinion about this combo and speakers placement!?

Thanks!
post #281 of 491 Old 05-06-2009, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard View Post

Hi!

I have system Sim Moon i-1; CD-1 with Dynaudio Excite x32 in small room (3m x 3.5m). I would like to know what kind of interconnect and speaker cable I should use to get best out of it (silver or copper). Also I would like to know your opinion about this combo and speakers placement!?

Thanks!

Great combo, i have been selling Dyn and Sim for 6 years and its what i personally own. i silver is a harsh sounding cable... i would run TARA's to your sim and dyn. Something in the Prime series for speaker cable and some nice Gen2 interconnects of Vector would be nice for interconnects. i have the same integrated you have and that's what i have

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida
www.premieracousticlifestyles.com
see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
post #282 of 491 Old 05-07-2009, 12:58 AM

And what do you think about Nordost Blue heaven or Red down in this system?
post #283 of 491 Old 05-08-2009, 07:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneMike View Post

Has anyone ever compared the sound of a Simaudio Amplifier to a Pass Labs unit?

I now have a Simaudio W-5 which is driving a pair of Dyanudio Confidence C4's. On occasion the W-5 seems to be just a little shy on punch for the C4's with 2-channel music.

I would love to move to a Simaudio W-8, but even used it is more than I want to pay...

I am considering a Pass Labs X250 or X350 - would I be moving to the dark side if I made this choice?

I would still be using my Simaudio Titan for my other 5 channels and one concern is how the sound of the Pass Labs unit would mate with the Titan that is driving my Confidence Center.

For movies the seamless sound from the front with the W-5 and the Titan is amazing. The occasional lack of punch on the fronts for mainly music where I run the C4's as full range is what is noticeable. I use a 40-Hz crossover for movies with the lower frequencies going to my HGS-18 for movies and notice no lack of punch. However, for 2-channel music the HGS-18 just can't keep up with the C4's so I go full range with the C4's.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I am kind of surprised I did not receive any responses to my above question...

I switched out my W-5 with a Pass Labs X350 last night - I actually switched back and forth for a while. After a few hours of listening to music (CD and SACD stereo) I can make the following comparisons:

My listening was done at both moderate and higher levels. I do not know how many dB's I was cranking at the high levels, but it was not insignificant.

The X350 throws a larger soundstage, but the imaging is not as precise as the W-5.

The X350 wins the war on the lower end bass and control. The bottom end was significantly fuller and more defined with the X350.

The W-5 wins the contest for the midrange. The midrange on the W-5 is much warmer and sweeter. The midrange on the X350 is very precise and almost analytical - somewhat dry.

The top end highs were the closest of all. The X350 might be just slightly rolled off as compared to the W-5, but it also seemed more precise.

All-in-all I would call the X-350 provided a fuller and dynamic, but somewhat dryer, presentation over the entire range. The W-5 has the best midrange and vocal presentation.

One good example I can give is in the Diana Krall song Peel Me a Grape. The presentation of the vocals with the X350 was more forward. The vocals on the W-5 were more laid back into the soundstage and smoother. However, the presentation of the string bass with the W-5 seemed to be a little plunk in the background. With the X350 when the string bass hits at the start of the song I could hear it as well as feel it.

Having been to one of her concerts in a pretty intimate setting I can tell you that the bass does have the impact of the X350 and she presents the vocals more laid back than in your face.

I have heard the Pass X350.5 might give me the best of both worlds, and maybe a higher powered Simaudio (W-7 or W-8) might give me the bass impact of the X350 with the sweetness of the Simaudio midrange.

Which will I keep.probably the X350, but I have to try them out with movies first over the weekend.

"A banker: the person who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining and wants it back the minute it rains" - Mark Twain
post #284 of 491 Old 05-08-2009, 07:14 PM

excellent review mike,i always wondered the comparison??i have a titan and was going to sell but decided against it...also just picked up a Classe SSP-600 to try with the titan..i would love to try a pass 600 someday..
post #285 of 491 Old 05-09-2009, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

excellent review mike,i always wondered the comparison??i have a titan and was going to sell but decided against it...also just picked up a Classe SSP-600 to try with the titan..i would love to try a pass 600 someday..

I have been a Simaudio retailer for 6 years and i will tell you this i had a customer that was looking at Pass monoblocks vs. the Simaudio monoblocks, needless to say he went all Sim as you can see in the picture... Pass has a great product Sim just does it better... i always say it like this... would you rather have a Porsche (Pass Labs) or a Ferrari (Simaudio)? Both are great cars both preform very well but ultimately in a race in the end we all know who is going to win :-)

Brad Bossman
post #286 of 491 Old 05-09-2009, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The CD 5.3 you now see is a Super Nova... trying to work with him to get the processor upgraded... this is one system where the HT bypass really worked wonders!

Brad Bossman
post #287 of 491 Old 05-09-2009, 08:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

I have been a Simaudio retailer for 6 years and i will tell you this i had a customer that was looking at Pass monoblocks vs. the Simaudio monoblocks, needless to say he went all Sim as you can see in the picture... Pass has a great product Sim just does it better... i always say it like this... would you rather have a Porsche (Pass Labs) or a Ferrari (Simaudio)? Both are great cars both preform very well but ultimately in a race in the end we all know who is going to win :-)

The one with the best driver. If they are both even, then the ones whose skills and driving personaility are bast matched to vehicle they are controlling......

post #288 of 491 Old 05-09-2009, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycloneMike View Post

The one with the best driver. If they are both even, then the ones whose skills and driving personaility are bast matched to vehicle they are controlling......

Your right,but i was going for ultimately sim has the edge

Brad Bossman
post #289 of 491 Old 05-13-2009, 05:25 PM

That's a great amp!

--Levi
post #290 of 491 Old 05-13-2009, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brad: I do not think there is a clear winner here when it comes to either company, as they both produce stellar products.

If there is a winner, it's only in a particular system where the synergy of the speakers and electronics are preferred by the listener. I have both Sim and Pass products at the moment and for 2 channel prefer the Pass amp. The Pass amp is a two channel amp, versus the 7 channel Titan. However, Sim has told me the Titan is a W-5 in disguise encased in a larger frame.

This does not mean that someone else would not desire the Sim over the Pass product. I honestly don't think Sim does it better. I think both companies provide a stellar product and there is no clear winner except on an individual basis and of course, if you maybe sell one particular brand. If Pass has one plus that Sim does not, it's an owner transferable warranty for a 3 year period. Sim does not have this option. However, the Titan that I own has a 5 year warranty so maybe it's a trade off there. Both provide excellent customer service at the corporate level. However, I believe Sim has more dealers in the U.S. then Pass.

"Man plans, God laughs"
post #291 of 491 Old 05-17-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone compared the W5 to Bel Canto's REF1000's or REF1000 mkII's?

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

Click here for pic of my 2 channel system.

post #292 of 491 Old 05-17-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

Has anyone compared the W5 to Bel Canto's REF1000's or REF1000 mkII's?

I have not compared, but I would think both would be nice. I think the W5 would give you better controll on the high's.
post #293 of 491 Old 05-17-2009, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

I have not compared, but I would think both would be nice. I think the W5 would give you better controll on the high's.

Thanks, but curious why you would think that. I would have thought the exact opposite with the bc giving better highs and perhaps the W5 giving better controls of the bass, but I have no basis for my thoughts.

Click here for pic of my 7.1 home theater system and here for pic of S2 surround wall mounting.

post #294 of 491 Old 05-17-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemark81 View Post

Thanks, but curious why you would think that. I would have thought the exact opposite with the bc giving better highs and perhaps the W5 giving better controls of the bass, but I have no basis for my thoughts.

When I heard my S1.4 on an Ice amp, I thought there was great bass control, but felt it didn't bring out the top end of my speakers.
post #295 of 491 Old 06-07-2009, 03:36 AM

Hi everyone, I've finally succumb to the conclusion that I need to match my MC-8 with some Dyn Audio speakers, would appreciate any recommendations that people have been using.

The intention is to house them in my yet to be built dedicated theatre room which should be around 86m2 and is currently a full 7.2 system, so I'm looking for recommendation's for the 7 channel's dedicated off the amp. Generally I do watch quite a bit of movies but music is also a consideration, at the moment quite a bit of classical, R&B and dance/electronic (completely opposite I know).
post #296 of 491 Old 06-07-2009, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemAVM View Post

When I heard my S1.4 on an Ice amp, I thought there was great bass control, but felt it didn't bring out the top end of my speakers.

I'm running Paradigm's Signature V2 speakers. Maybe with the beryllium tweeters it is not so much of an issue.

post #297 of 491 Old 06-07-2009, 06:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-ricardo View Post

Hi everyone, I’ve finally succumb to the conclusion that I need to match my MC-8 with some Dyn Audio speakers, would appreciate any recommendations that people have been using.

The intention is to house them in my yet to be built dedicated theatre room which should be around 86m2 and is currently a full 7.2 system, so I’m looking for recommendation’s for the 7 channel’s dedicated off the amp. Generally I do watch quite a bit of movies but music is also a consideration, at the moment quite a bit of classical, R&B and dance/electronic (completely opposite I know).

So we can help you out a couple of questions.

You indicate 86 sq meters - that sounds like a big room. What are the general dimensions? L x W x H. If you could translate to feet that would help.

What is your current speaker setup? Brands, etc.

What is your budget and how much is that in US Dollars?

Do you have a preference for full size or monitor speakers for the various locations, Front, Center, Side, Rears?

Also - you might want to try your question in the Dynaudio Owner's thread in the speaker forum for additional input.

Thanks.

Mike

post #298 of 491 Old 06-07-2009, 07:09 PM

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the reply and advice.

I've put the dimensions through a conversion tool so this is the dimension's I currently have put down for the room.

L = 8m = 26.2ft
W = 6m = 19.6ft
H = 2.7m = 8.8ft

Currently I'm using Klipsch RF-83 set which comprises of two RF-83 main's, a RC-64 centre and four RS-62 surrounds. I also use two Whatmough Impact subwoofers. I intend on keeping the Whatmough Impact subs, they are very tight but I'm finding the Klipsch's are great for movies but music not so much but this is depending on the music, I love listening to guitar through them but violin I don't.

I'm thinking of US$25K to US$40K, I know that's a big range, obviously cheaper the better but I also want to ensure this is a set that I will utilise for some 15 years so want to make sure I do it right.

Full size for the fronts and I'm open to suggestions for the surrounds. I have the luxury to be able to use full size if need be for the surrounds, as I said this room is dedicated and I believe I have enough space to be able to do that.
post #299 of 491 Old 06-07-2009, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

Since we're getting all philosophically analogous here...
From that pic, I would say that the guy's room config is far more limiting than whatever subtle differences there would be between a Sim and a Pass amp.
I guess I'd rather drive a Porsche on the Autobahn than a Ferrari on a go-cart track.
FWIW, using the term "better" regarding Nelson Pass amps or Sim amps is irrelevant.
Different? Of course. Better? Depends on your margin I guess

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #300 of 491 Old 06-12-2009, 05:56 AM

I need some critical advice for whether I should upgrade from an I-3 to an I-7 integrated amp. I'm using the equinox cd player along with Focal 1027be speakers. Would such a change be dramatic enough to justify an upgrade?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page