Simaudio Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 493 Old 05-09-2007, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't believe the greatest high-end audio equipment in the world doesn't have it's own thread... So I am starting one! I am a dealer of Simaudio in S.W. Florida and have been privildeged to carry the line for 4 years so any questions i will try to answer!---
Brad

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida
www.premieracousticlifestyles.com
see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 493 Old 05-09-2007, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Dude I loved the demo at HE2002 and HE2006, so there you aren't alone anymore LOL, wish I was an owner but I do support brands I appreciate.

~Bobby
post #3 of 493 Old 05-09-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Here is a question - is Sim Audio going to produce an updated AVP to replace the Stargate? They need something that switches HDMI (1.3) with audio at the very least, although a DD TruHD/DTS-HD decoder would be even better.

"The truth is out there!"
post #4 of 493 Old 05-09-2007, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

Here is a question - is Sim Audio going to produce an updated AVP to replace the Stargate? They need something that switches HDMI (1.3) with audio at the very least, although a DD TruHD/DTS-HD decoder would be even better.

Interesting that you ask that. Costa from Sim was here just a few weeks ago and we asked the same exact thing, yes there will be a replacement. Obviously the Stargate has kind of run its course the ultimate goal is to have 2 AVP one that is in the 2K-3.5K range and another thats more but fully balanced perhaps in the Evolution series, nothing for sure. Both would ultimately support HDMI 1.3 and the new formats of DD and DTS.

Brad Bossman
post #5 of 493 Old 05-17-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Moon i-1 Integrated Amplifier (preliminary features):

- 50 W/ch, continuous (RMS) into 8 ohms, both channels simultaneously driven, from 20Hz - 20 kHz. This doubles into 4 ohms, putting out 100 W rms/ch under the same rigorous conditions. This is how we measure our amplifiers, and not using "burst power" or "peak instaneous" power or at 1 kHz, which would yield higher numbers purely for marketing reasons.
- Huge power supply for its modest power rating;
- Symmetrical circuit layout;
- Audiophile-grade componentry throughout audio signal path;
- Headphone jack;
- Mini 1/8" stereo jack on front panel for IPods and other personal music devices;
- Preamp outputs;
- IR + RS-232, all discrete codes with full unsolicited feedback;
- SimLink sync with other Moon components;
- System remote control;
- Black or silver finishes;
- Designed and manufactured in Canada;
- Retail: $1349

Moon CD-1 Disc Player (preliminary features):

- CD/CD-R disc compatible;
- Digital processing of 24-bits / 192 kHz;
- S/PDIF digital output on RCA;
- System remote control
- Large, easy-to-read red display like other Classic Series models;
Thought you may find this of interest!

Brad Bossman
post #6 of 493 Old 05-19-2007, 06:46 PM

Two questions;

What sim amp only would you guys recommend for a pair of Dynaudio c-2 or c-4 speakers?

Can anyone recommend a good simaudio dealer in the chicagoland / western suburb areas?
post #7 of 493 Old 05-19-2007, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

you would have to check with Dyn about the dealer part, not sure how up to date their website is... What i personally own is i have C2's on W-7m's and a P-7 with a Super Nova CD player... and it is absoulutely unbeliveable for the price... if you wanna step it up a notch consider the P-8. Hope that helps

Brad Bossman
post #8 of 493 Old 05-19-2007, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
We're probably the only Dynaudio dealer that doesn't have Simaudio in our lineup.

I do like the product and it's highly recommended by most all Dynaudio dealers. For those who love their Simaudio gear do give the Dynaudios a listen if you don't already own them.

In the grand scheme of things you don't hear much about Simaudio unless the Dynaudios are mentioned as well. What are others mating the Sims if you aren't running Dyn's?

Tony G. Cordova, President
Showplace Oklahoma - Showplace Theater & Sound
"We put the SHOW in your PLACE."
post #9 of 493 Old 05-19-2007, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've had great success pairing Thiel, another line we have good success with, and when we used to carry it, JM Lab sound phenomenal... Then we kinda parted ways to make it short. I have some pics i will post of Simaudio on B&W Nautilus 801 systems, and one of the nicest theater setups... Was a Titan-5, a pair of W-7m's a P-8 a Supernova, an Orbiter and MIT Oracle cabling with his Martin Logan Summits for mains and the Theater i for the center 2 pairs of ML Script i's for rear's to make a 7.1 system and his Velodyne DD-18 sub... sounded phenomenal.... we are about ready to go in and replace all the speakers... he has a craving for Temptations which are on the way to my showroom in a few weeks... i know once he hears them he'll do a Dyn Evidence Theater setup.... let me know any comments!

Brad Bossman
post #10 of 493 Old 05-30-2007, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New Sim Stuff On Its Way--- Cannot tell ya all what exactly it is but try this on for size--- a new Sim multi channel amp, new processor(s), and of course the new CD-1, and I-1... Whooo-hooo gonna be an awesome year for Sim!

Brad Bossman
post #11 of 493 Old 05-30-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pal1982 View Post

Interesting that you ask that. Costa from Sim was here just a few weeks ago and we asked the same exact thing, yes there will be a replacement. Obviously the Stargate has kind of run its course the ultimate goal is to have 2 AVP one that is in the 2K-3.5K range and another thats more but fully balanced perhaps in the Evolution series, nothing for sure. Both would ultimately support HDMI 1.3 and the new formats of DD and DTS.

A Classe AVP for $2,500 would be very appealing. My problem is there are no Classe dealers anywhere near me and they don't allow mail order sales. Wish they would sell direct. How is their customer support?

"The truth is out there!"
post #12 of 493 Old 05-30-2007, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sim's customer support? The best i have ever encountered! You should call them... Ask for Costa, tell them Brad told you to call.

Brad Bossman
post #13 of 493 Old 05-30-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I use Titan-7 on my active tri-amped Waveform Mach 17 speakers .
I have also owned P-5 & Eclipse & I-5 & Nova in the past too.

I think it is a good move of Sim to make some "entry-level" gear to make it easier to introduce Sim Audio to a wider audience.
I was beginning to think they were targetting way upmarket too much the way the Evolution series is priced.

Another stellar review in this months Stereophile, this time for the I-7 integrated.
And J.A. is now pre-conditioned to expect nothing but great measurements from anything Sim makes these days.

- Andy
post #14 of 493 Old 05-30-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah the Titan-7 is something else, i personally have W-7m's, i'm more of a 2-channel guy than home theater but for surround you can't beat the Titan... That's kinda why i am lookin forward to the new lower priced multi-channel amp, and the 2 new controllers!

Brad Bossman
post #15 of 493 Old 05-30-2007, 06:04 PM

I'm running a Moon i5 into Totem Hawk speakers...the Totems are a great match for Sim since the two brands have a similar attributes (mainly the crystal clear highs, incredible soundstaging and fast, deep bass). In fact, with both companies being from Montreal, you'll see Totem speakers at the Sim facility and Sim equipment at the Totem facility. They really are made with each other in mind.

That being said, I heard the i5.3 on Dynaudio's and that was equally good...which makes sense since the Totem Hawks use Dynaudio drivers.

BTW, in case anyone's wondering, SimAudio is the real thing. The Moon i5 replaced a Bryston separates setup in my system and has been a huge upgrade. I hope one day to upgrade my CDP to a CD5.3!
post #16 of 493 Old 05-30-2007, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

First off i would like to welcome all fellow Simaudio lovers to the room, i started this with the sole hope of if you had any questions of having a place to go to get them answered... I am looking at opening another showroom right around Nashville, TN. here shortly with plenty of new Sim stuff, and the long awaited Dyn "30th Anniversary Speakers" to be the pinnacle showpiece... it is true Dyn and Sim are an paralleled comination its a must hear... Also the CD 5.3 is a truly aweome piece i know we sell the heck out of them, they really are amazing for the size and the price. If you can afford to splurge though... it's totally worth it to look at the Super Nova... just FYI

Brad Bossman
post #17 of 493 Old 05-31-2007, 08:01 AM

For me even the CD5.3 would be quite the splurge...I don't wanna hear the SuperNova for fear that my life won't be the same knowing what I'm missing!

A question for you...have you heard either of the new Moon phono stages? The LP5.3 and the new LP3 seem quite interesting, I'm wondering if they help impart some of that Sim house sound onto the vinyl side of things? Am currently using a Musical Fidelity phono stage that is a bit too polite/bland for my tastes...
post #18 of 493 Old 05-31-2007, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

i have both the LP5.3 and the LP3 in the store. A little FYI the base on the LP3 is not built by Sim, not a big deal, just keeps costs down. Both units are both are awesome, i am a big fan of the LP5.3 because of all the goodies on it.... i am lovin the 5.3!

Brad Bossman
post #19 of 493 Old 05-31-2007, 10:55 AM

This might be news to some folks out there... Most if not all (someone should be able to correct me) recent Simaudio integrated amps and pre-amps have a bypass input for home theatre - A4. What does this mean??? MUCH better stereo sound while keeping costs down on the home theatre side (I use a Yamaha receiver for the channels other than the right and left).

I've been running the PW-5000 (precursor to the I5) for seven years or so. I'm quite happy with being able to enjoy 2 channel audio in all its glory in my home theatre setup. Obviously the best case would be to have two different dedicated rooms, but that is just not realistic for most people out there.

Prior to my current setup, I had a B&K pre-pro with 2 channel and 3 channel amps. I bought the PW-5000 used and it was a big step up. I then sold the B&K stuff and went to a receiver to save some space and money.

BTW, I also have an old-school PW-3000 that is from the Sima days... It is a little tank that never gives up. It is used in a second music system and performs admirably.

Darren Schmidt
post #20 of 493 Old 05-31-2007, 03:23 PM

Seeing as I don't need the "goodies" on the 5.3 (meaning balanced outputs), is the sound quality much better than the LP3 to justify the cost increase? Or is the LP3 a better choice for someone looking for a simple phono preamp, albeit within the context of a high-resolution 2-channel setup?

Thanks for your input!
post #21 of 493 Old 05-31-2007, 11:33 PM

So after reading the post above it would NOT be a good idea to buy a Stargate as something is in the making with HDMI 1.3 and could be around $2.5 - 3.5K?

Thanks in advance.
post #22 of 493 Old 06-05-2007, 02:54 PM

Earlier in the thread a new multi channel amp was mentioned. I am about to purchase an Aurora 5 channel amp. What is the potential timing of the new amp(s) and what, if anything, is expected to be improved.

BTW, planning on a Cary Cinema 11 for the Pre, what are others using?

Thanks.
post #23 of 493 Old 06-06-2007, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtdarren View Post

This might be news to some folks out there... Most if not all (someone should be able to correct me) recent Simaudio integrated amps and pre-amps have a bypass input for home theatre - A4. What does this mean??? MUCH better stereo sound while keeping costs down on the home theatre side (I use a Yamaha receiver for the channels other than the right and left).

I've been running the PW-5000 (precursor to the I5) for seven years or so. I'm quite happy with being able to enjoy 2 channel audio in all its glory in my home theatre setup. Obviously the best case would be to have two different dedicated rooms, but that is just not realistic for most people out there.

Prior to my current setup, I had a B&K pre-pro with 2 channel and 3 channel amps. I bought the PW-5000 used and it was a big step up. I then sold the B&K stuff and went to a receiver to save some space and money.

BTW, I also have an old-school PW-3000 that is from the Sima days... It is a little tank that never gives up. It is used in a second music system and performs admirably.

Darren Schmidt

Congrats on te Sima product great stuff! As far as explaining the Home Theater Bypass it allows a user to use the power of the amplifier and making the volume totally bypassed as well as all circuitry. It's great for being used when you love movies but really can't part with your 2-channel. It's a great feature, i have a customer that has a P-8 and a Bryston controller with a Titan-5 and a pair of W-7m's to make an awsome 2-channel system as well as an incredible 7.1 surround sound system!-- Hope that answers!
FYI- We are getting ready to open a new showroom right outside of Nashville,TN. in it we will carry a full line of Simaudio, Parasound, Arcam, Denon, MIT, StraightWire, Dynaudio, Thiel, KEF, Vidikron and other great lines!

Brad Bossman
post #24 of 493 Old 06-06-2007, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countingbackward View Post

Seeing as I don't need the "goodies" on the 5.3 (meaning balanced outputs), is the sound quality much better than the LP3 to justify the cost increase? Or is the LP3 a better choice for someone looking for a simple phono preamp, albeit within the context of a high-resolution 2-channel setup?

Thanks for your input!

Again sorry its taking so long to get back to everyone... was in TN. setting up the new store. To answer your question the LP5.3 sounds sonically superior to the LP3 fo the fact of the iamount of individual of internal mini power supplies that feed off the master, so the LP5.3 sounds more lifelike... Read some of the reviews on it, email me and i can send you some. It a far, far better unit. I mean if your only planning on spending or have only spent $150-$500 on your turntable then go for the LP3 if any more or if you thrive of the ultimate clarity of your LP's then go for the LP5.3

Brad Bossman
post #25 of 493 Old 06-06-2007, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendrover View Post

So after reading the post above it would NOT be a good idea to buy a Stargate as something is in the making with HDMI 1.3 and could be around $2.5 - 3.5K?

Thanks in advance.

As far as the Stargate is concerned, if HDMI 1.3 is important then wait if not go for the new one.

Brad Bossman
post #26 of 493 Old 06-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I love my old Simaudio Celeste 4250. http://www.simaudio.com/celew4250.htm

post #27 of 493 Old 06-07-2007, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

When Costa visted the store from Simaudio he told about some of the old stuff... it's some pretty heavy duty stuff. I am trying to get Costa to post in here. He said he would, so be on the lookout for a post by him, he knows his stuff!

Brad Bossman
post #28 of 493 Old 06-07-2007, 09:51 PM

So has anyone heard the new i-1 integrated amp yet? How does it compare to its two big brothers? If I were to use Simaudio with a pair of Focal 1027be's will the base amp be good enough or should I spend a little more and get a more powerful amp?

[quote=pal1982]Moon i-1 Integrated Amplifier (preliminary features):

- 50 W/ch, continuous (RMS) into 8 ohms, both channels simultaneously driven, from 20Hz - 20 kHz. This doubles into 4 ohms, putting out 100 W rms/ch under the same rigorous conditions. This is how we measure our amplifiers, and not using "burst power" or "peak instaneous" power or at 1 kHz, which would yield higher numbers purely for marketing reasons.
- Huge power supply for its modest power rating;
- Symmetrical circuit layout;
- Headphone jack;
- Mini 1/8" stereo jack on front panel for IPods and other personal music devices;
- Preamp outputs;
- IR + RS-232, all discrete codes with full unsolicited feedback;
- System remote control;
QUOTE]
post #29 of 493 Old 06-10-2007, 06:01 AM

What would be an Amp to look at to power my Aerial LR-5's and possibly my CC-3b. I know for sure I want at least a 2ch. Amp but might consider a 3ch. Amp instead. I use my speakers primarily for HT and for music but music is seldom in the proper listening position... meaning I'm filling my home as I do "stuff".

I rarely just sit and appreciate what I have unless it's a Movie. So I need something dynamic and able to drive a fairly tough load. The Aerial's aren't the most efficient speakers ever made and I really want to be able to make them sing.
post #30 of 493 Old 06-10-2007, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverman View Post

What would be an Amp to look at to power my Aerial LR-5's and possibly my CC-3b. I know for sure I want at least a 2ch. Amp but might consider a 3ch. Amp instead. I use my speakers primarily for HT and for music but music is seldom in the proper listening position... meaning I'm filling my home as I do "stuff".

I rarely just sit and appreciate what I have unless it's a Movie. So I need something dynamic and able to drive a fairly tough load. The Aerial's aren't the most efficient speakers ever made and I really want to be able to make them sing.

For a 3-channel go for the Titan 3... gives you the 2 channel finesse with the home theater sound, if you think your going to being doing more 2-channel in the future go for a W-5.3 or W-7 for the ultimate in 2-channel

Brad Bossman
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page