DENON 3801 Component Video Bandwidth ? (also pre-out question) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-10-2001, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Back in December there was some mention that the component video switching through a Denon 3801 might not have high enough bandwidth for HDTV.

Does anyone know for sure ?

Also, if you use the pre-outs to a separate stereo amplifier for your front L+R mains, what can you do with the two internal amp sections not in use ? Can they be bridged or bi-wired for another channel, such as feeding LFE to tactile transducers ?

------------------
Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Ellis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-10-2001, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm using the 3801 for component switching between DVD and DTV and I haven't noticed any problems. The DTV source is from the Echostar HD6000 with both 720p and 1080i component output. I understand the bandwidth on the 3801 component switching is 27MHz, but some have said that you need somewhere in the neighborhood of 35MHz for HDTV. I'd like to know what to look for if this bandwidth is insufficient.

Bruno
post #3 of 5 Old 01-10-2001, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

I think this issue has been covered before. The only product Denon has at this point that will switch component video in its native state (up to 1080p) is the AVR-5800. The 3801 and 3300 will switch component video, but not above 540p without signal loss.

Dan

------------------
Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com

Dan Henderson
dan@net-impress.com
post #4 of 5 Old 01-11-2001, 07:38 AM
Ix
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Henderson:
I think this issue has been covered before. The only product Denon has at this point that will switch component video in its native state (up to 1080p) is the AVR-5800. The 3801 and 3300 will switch component video, but not above 540p without signal loss.

Dan

I'm still not sure where this information comes from. My 3801 manual and the product specs on the web clearly state the component switching is "true" HDTV compatible. What "true" means is anybody's guess, since I haven't been able to find the actual bandwidth numbers for the 3801. Some say 27Mhz, some say 35.

More to the point, I run my HD6000 HDTV receiver through the Denon and it looks exactly the same as it does connected right to the TV (a Pioneer Elite 610) in 1080i. I first hooked the HD6000 right to the TV when I set it up and ended up watching a couple movies on HBO. Then I plugged the output from the Denon into that same input on the TV, plugged the 6000 into the Denon, and been watching it that way ever since. No problems. I've even seen one of the same movies and they look the same. If there is signal loss, it is outside the visible/audible spectrum.

I think this whole thing started because someone read somewhere that the 3801 only had x amount of bandwidth, and true 1080i requires y, and blah blah blah next thing you know it was one of those pointless academic debates, like whether DD is better than DTS or something. All I know is, it works fine http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The only thing I can think of where it might be an issue is with 720p signals. My TV doesn't support them, so 540p/1080i is as high as it goes. Perhaps someone with that kind of setup can report their findings?

------------------
Ix (The planet of technology in the book Dune for the geeks out there)
My Opinions may be wrong when compared to yours www.maximumgamer.com
ix@maximumgamer.com

[This message has been edited by Ix (edited 01-11-2001).]
post #5 of 5 Old 01-11-2001, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Sounds to me like there is still no consensus on HDTV-bandwidth component video switching.

Anybody have any ideas on my second question ? Does the 3801 support defining which "channels" in a 5.1 or 6.1 setup go to which internal amplifier sections ? If using preouts to external amplifiers, is there anything you can use the internal amp sections for ?

------------------
Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Ellis
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page