Denon Preamp model AVP-A1HDCI Pictures & Info- - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1467 Old 03-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can those of you with this new pre/pro mention what specific amp you're using also? I was thinking about pairing it with the 7 channel Earthquake Cinenova.

Thoughts?

Bish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1467 Old 03-08-2008, 05:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post

Can those of you with this new pre/pro mention what specific amp you're using also? I was thinking about pairing it with the 7 channel Earthquake Cinenova.

Thoughts?

Bish

If you read the last few pages, many folks have posted exactly what they have.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #1263 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Hey Norpus, you lucky bugger, looks great! BTW how are you finding it? I have to still wait til April.

Hey Franin
Yep enjoying it a lot.
A friend came over yesterday with a well respected local 2ch preamp ($4.5K)and we did an A/B on several tracks/cds trying to pick the difference on 2ch cd only, pure direct mode. It was very difficult to pick between the two. I recall a couple of comments - the denon sounded a bit phasey on vocals on one track (vbut not others) and had a fuller bass on another track (but not others). I felt the testing was inconclusive either way, so will do more testing before I decide to give away the 2ch pre idea.
I was surprised it was close at all tbh

cheers
Norpus
post #1264 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 07:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by norpus View Post

Hey Franin
Yep enjoying it a lot.
A friend came over yesterday with a well respected local 2ch preamp ($4.5K)and we did an A/B on several tracks/cds trying to pick the difference on 2ch cd only, pure direct mode. It was very difficult to pick between the two. I recall a couple of comments - the denon sounded a bit phasey on vocals on one track (vbut not others) and had a fuller bass on another track (but not others). I felt the testing was inconclusive either way, so will do more testing before I decide to give away the 2ch pre idea.
I was surprised it was close at all tbh

Thanks Norpus, it will be good to hear your thoughts after more testing is done.

Frank

post #1265 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Well, 11 pairs of AVP and POA entered the UK in the first batch and here is my pair.

Boxes - 100Kg!

The silver finish is great but I still really like the black.

A bit of help from the girls

No stand yet so using some granite and cork to isolate the kit from the floor

Setting up. Notice my mobile phone being cooked on top of the AVP!

Ashley enjoying the sound!
post #1266 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 09:59 AM

Mark, congratulations! The whole setup (and kids!) look great! Ashley is adorable.

What do you think of the sound so far? I too have the 802s and am very curious as to the sound of the AVP and POA combination.

Chris

My HT: 60" Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD (calibration soon), Krell electronics, B&W N802s.
post #1267 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote View Post

Mark, congratulations! The whole setup (and kids!) look great!

No kidding, congrats.
The pair of units make a mean duo.
I love the silver (sniff). Gives a nice slightly retro look.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
post #1268 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

No kidding, congrats.
The pair of units make a mean duo.
I love the silver (sniff). Gives a nice slightly retro look.

Tim.... we all know you'll be going slightly retro after you try out the Pioneer
post #1269 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you Chris. Ashley is a little git, like his mum! No, he is great - a real mini-me!

I have the POA set to balanced bridged mode and although the 802Ds, AVP and POA are all brand new and therefore not at their best yet, all I can say is effortless, warm, deep and chrystal clear. SACD through the PS3 (hardly high end audio) is incredible.
post #1270 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

here's some pix of my AVP and BT2500.

Congrats mate, I still love the black and the transport looks great with the AVP!
post #1271 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post

Well, 11 pairs of AVP and POA entered the UK in the first batch and here is my pair.

WOWZERS!!!! That setup is freakin' awesome! Everything looks amazing. Congratulations on that very classy setup. Has the sound quality lived up to your expectations? Thanks for sharing the pix.

Seth
post #1272 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Congrats mate, I still love the black and the transport looks great with the AVP!

Thanks Mark. At first I was a bit bummed that Silver was not available here, but now that I actually have it installed I love the way the black looks. So I'm happy.

Seth
post #1273 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

Thanks Mark. At first I was a bit bummed that Silver was not available here, but now that I actually have it installed I love the way the black looks. So I'm happy.

Seth

Hehe, I felt the same but opposite
Swap you my silver for your black anyday. Pity we don't live in same town or continent or hemisphere of the planet!

cheers
Norpus
post #1274 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:

Thank you Chris. Ashley is a little git, like his mum! No, he is great - a real mini-me!

I have the POA set to balanced bridged mode and although the 802Ds, AVP and POA are all brand new and therefore not at their best yet, all I can say is effortless, warm, deep and crystal clear. SACD through the PS3 (hardly high end audio) is incredible.

Great looking setup there MarkB. I used to run 802d also - I was biamping passively with similar power - lovely piece of furniture those 802d - my wife still scolds me for moving them on hehe
I've gone active now so don't need the amps - the POA certainly does look great though! I always like the McIntosh power meters on their amps and this POA has that same look

As an aside, recently I listened in HK to some Kef Muons powered by a bridged pair of McIntosh MC402 - now that was pure silver sex. The 4 needles bouncing into the 400 zone on the Sheffield drum track was a truly awe inspiring sound experience

cheers
Norpus
post #1275 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...the POA certainly does look great though! I always like the McIntosh power meters on their amps and this POA has that same look...

Agreed, but Denon has been sticking VU meters on its amps as long as any manufacturer! but you are right - it is great listning to some superb music and watching the meters!
post #1276 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Tim.... we all know you'll be going slightly retro after you try out the Pioneer

That's true , but these pics are making it harder and harder not to go to the Denon dark side.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #1277 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...Swap you my silver for your black anyday. Pity we don't live in same town or continent or hemisphere of the planet!

You cant swap the chassis because the black and silver AVP button layout is different!
post #1278 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolpht View Post

That's true , but these pics are making it harder and harder not to go to the Denon dark side.

You know you want to..! lol. You owe it to yourself!

post #1279 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 04:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

You know you want to..! lol. You owe it to yourself!

Mark, you are a very mean person (but I appreciate the dark/dark side motif)

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #1280 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:

You cant swap the chassis because the black and silver AVP button layout is different!

Hey you are right, hadn't noticed the black US one has 4 buttons and silver has 3. What is the extra button ohyeah32?

cheers
Norpus
post #1281 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:

Agreed, but Denon has been sticking VU meters on its amps as long as any manufacturer! but you are right - it is great listning to some superb music and watching the meters!

Yes something draws me to those meters
Better than watching a ratshack spl meter thats for sure
I prefer the meters which are labelled watts rather than dB - just a personal preference even if they mean the same thing
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/s...&product=MC207

cheers
Norpus
post #1282 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 05:12 PM
dem

Quote:

Hey you are right, hadn't noticed the black US one has 4 buttons and silver has 3. What is the extra button ohyeah32?

Tuning Preset

Dave
post #1283 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 06:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

MarkB they look very impressive! Congraulations mate.All I can say is your all lucky buggers! It's not fair!

Frank

post #1284 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 06:26 PM

For anyone interested here are some of my thoughts.

It does a great job on both HT and 2ch duties, and I’m now on the lookout to purchase the Audyssey installers kit so I can have more options available to me.

When I plugged the unit it, my first thoughts were okay this doesn’t sound very good, the Rotel 1098 sounded much better. I then tried 2ch in Stereo, Direct & Pure Direct modes and again I thought wow for all the hype this thing is pretty average.

The next night after getting home from work I decided to start playing with some of the settings. The unit has a GUI which shows on the screen if you happen to have it running, also the options show up on the display on the front of the processor. Being the lazy bloke that I am, I decided to go the easy route, and connected the unit to my LAN. Now this is how life should be…I can sit back and relax and play to my hearts content.

One thing I noticed the second night the system sounded much sweeter, whether this was because I was becoming accustomed to the sound or maybe it’s because the unit was settling in, either way I was now happy with my purchase.

Over the last couple of days I’ve done some comparisons between the Denon and the Moon P-5 on 2ch out of the CD player. IMO the Denon does a great job, I’ve tried the different options of Stereo, Direct, and Pure Direct, utilising the LFE sub, and disabling it, utilising Audyssey and disabling it. The Moon pre just does things better, the music sounds more real and has those nice subtleties that you don’t realise are there until you compare different products and realise what you are missing out on.

Moon P-5

The Denon can also stream music from NAS drives, etc, it can also access internet radio. I’ve not at a play with these as yet other than go into the menu and have a peek, it even recognises the Sonos and when accessed, lists all the albums and tracks available on the NAS drive.

Currently I have the Sonos connected via digital into the Denon, so it can use the Denon’s DAC’s, having the Audyssey invoked I can’t recall hearing the Sonos sound so good on my system, it is very close to CD quality IMO. I've compared before and after results, and so far utilising the smarts built into the Denon, I very happy with the results.

Somehow I don’t believe it to be in the same calibre as the Moon for 2ch duties from a CD player/Transport, however the results are very good, and since most of my listening these days is via streamed the use of the CD player and 2ch pre is limited to when I get visitors, which is not very often these days.

Moving forward I also want to try some more of the smarts of the Denon including the ability to control 3 subwoofers, these can be configured in different ways but the way I’m looking at is L/R/LFE, so I’m hoping this will eliminate the external crossover I’m using to integrate my 2subs for 2ch listening. Of course some of this will depend if I can sell some of my gear, since while I still own it I may as well use it. I’m afraid the cupboards are becoming rather full of good equipment from days gone by.

So there you go you all now know just as much as me…

Rotel 1098

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
post #1285 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 06:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post

For anyone interested here are some of my thoughts.

Thanks. Very appreciated.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
post #1286 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 07:42 PM

Spearment, Mark and others:

First thanks for the pictures. These units are gorgeous.

Spearment: Thanks for your thoughts on the stereo side of things. I mean no disrespect to any of you that own or are going to purchase these units. They are beauiful to look at and a technical force to reckon with. It's just I cannot get out of mind the Denon's I have heard with music in their AVR's. I have never been impressed and I know we are comparing apples and oranges here but it is unfortunately my preconceived opinion. I need to go listen to these units and form an honest opinion. I wonder if they tried to cram too much into one unit? I know these units are a tweekers paradise but I have always been of the mind-set that less is better if trying to combine a HT/Stereo set-up. I am sure for a killer HT set-up these are fantastic.

I currently have the lowly NAD Master Series separates that can't touch these Denons for pure technical options and tweeking but I wonder how they would compare in 2ch music?

What did you all own before deciding on the Denon unit?

They are beautiful and keep us posted with info on these units. It's an exciting time to be a HT junkie for sure.

PS: I love the GUI.

Regards-
Rick
post #1287 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 08:10 PM

For me the HT side of things was a given, I'd owned Denon AVR's before the Rotel so I had a good idea on their sound and performance, and this Pre is no exception. For HT duties it does it very well and the versatility of it makes it totally configurable for most setups including my 9.3 well actually .4. I guess I was hoping for better 2ch performance than what I've experience with previous Denon AVR's and although this does do a great job it still has the AVR' coloration/constriction of the sound and sound stage.

As for streamed music I find it an excellent performer, and this is where 90+% of my listening is done these days, if however you are heavily into Vinyl, CD's or SACD's then a dedicated pre will still be required to get the best out of the source IMO.

The Audyssey is great, this is my first real exposure to it, and hopefully when combined with the Installers kit, I'll get performance close to the stand alone unit, although I do miss out on the versatility of the stand alone unit.

So in a nut shell if you're after a great HT processor with plenty of versatility then the Denon should be high on your auditioning list, like wise if you're also interested in good quality 2ch the Denon will do that as well, on the other hand if you're after excellent 2ch performance then a 2ch pre is still the way to go IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETA1 View Post

Spearment: Thanks for your thoughts on the stereo side of things. I mean no disrespect to any of you that own or are going to purchase these units. They are beauiful to look at and a technical force to reckon with. It's just I cannot get out of mind the Denon's I have heard with music in their AVR's. I have never been impressed and I know we are comparing apples and oranges here but it is unfortunately my preconceived opinion. I need to go listen to these units and form an honest opinion. I wonder if they tried to cram too much into one unit? I know these units are a tweekers paradise but I have always been of the mind-set that less is better if trying to combine a HT/Stereo set-up. I am sure for a killer HT set-up these are fantastic.

I currently have the lowly NAD Master Series separates that can't touch these Denons for pure technical options and tweeking but I wonder how they would compare in 2ch music?

They are beautiful and keep us posted with info on these units. It's an exciting time to be a HT junkie for sure.

Regards-
Rick

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
post #1288 of 1467 Old 03-09-2008, 08:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CETA1 View Post

Regards-
Rick

Hi Rick I have the NAD M25 power amp which I adore.From reading some of these reviews it seems the denon is handling the the 2ch quite well.

Frank

post #1289 of 1467 Old 03-10-2008, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Question for you all that also own and are using your AVP's. When listening to CD's (via analog, optical, or HDMI) are you getting bass from your sub when using Direct and Pure Direct? I get excellent bass from my subs in stereo mode but once I select Direct and Pure Direct the bass quits. What do I need to do to get my subs to output bass when listening to Direct and Pure Direct?

The sound quality is excellent in these modes I just want some bass. Just so you know I have a Martin Logan Decent sub connected to the AVP via XLR and the second sub (an ADS MS3) feeding off the Descent via RCA. I know that the subs are indeed working, as movie soundtracks really give the subs a workout, especially TrueHD and DTS-HD MA.

Any help you guys can give will be most appreciated.
post #1290 of 1467 Old 03-10-2008, 02:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

MarkB they look very impressive! Congraulations mate.All I can say is your all lucky buggers! It's not fair!

You'll be joining in on the fun soon, hang in there!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page