Old 03-12-2008, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeah32 View Post

The BT2500 is an excellent transport! And after viewing several BD movies on it over the weekend, I'd easily say that it rates up there with the very best of them. PQ and the sound! Spectacular! DTS-HD MA and TrueHD sound phenomenal through the AVP! This transport paired up with the AVP is a match made in heaven.

How does it rate in terms of "usability." One common complaint is the tedious load times for BD players. My Pioneer Elite, for example, seems to take forever to start up and load. After years of using fast DVD players, it annoys me to no end.

Quote:

But the BT2500's benefits are in it's simplicity. It's sole job is getting the video and audio signals out via HDMI to be decoded in the AVP. And oh what a great job it does.

Hi-def players implement more complex interactive features, including their more complex in-play menu systems. How does the BT2500 handle these? I always thought that processing these little "programs" (that's basically what they are) has to take place in the player, and indeed, that's one of the functional differences between players. (I.e., some are slow while others are very snappy and responsive.)

Quote:

I have no regrets with it, and hope that it lasts me a very long time. And with a fix coming very soon to address the -5db LFE issue for LPCM, this unit should be on peoples short list of top Blu-ray players.

Sorry to ask you to reiterate something that I'm sure has already been addressed, but could you briefly summarize this? Is it a problem in the 2500 or the AVP? Is it a firmware fix that will be easy to install?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry that I wasn't able to answer all of your questions, but I hope that I have helped a little.

Seth

No, that was really helpful, and appreciated. I've been reading a lot about it now and this unit just sounds great. And your pairing it with the BT2500 DOES sound like a killer combo. I hate the marketing scams (IMHO) that manufacturers pull in putting so many redundant features in different components, getting average users to buy so much more than they need. I really appreciate a good company like Denon addressing this for the more discerning market.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm 99% sold!
Old 03-12-2008, 04:43 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post

Well, 11 pairs of AVP and POA entered the UK in the first batch and here is my pair.

A bit of help from the girls

Just wondering what type of speakers cables you are using? They look quite beefy!
Old 03-12-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

the sound is very neutral, not bright or warm, but very faithful to the original recording

interesting, thanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 07:16 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:

Fancy starting it? Or should we leave it to Franin?

Thanks for the thought there MarkB, but here im am still waiting, knowing that it's still a few weeks away before I have one in my hands and just reading everyone posts in the meantime.I say Seth or yourself start it and when I get mine I will jump on board and become a memeber of the exsclusive Denon AVP club.Until then I will keep reading the posts, make continous calls to the dealers asking them how long before they arrive and twiddle my thumbs.

BTW Mark your whole system looks impressive.

Frank

Frank
Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 PM

Liked: 10
Well, my thoughts after a frantic evening trying to get "some" of the AVP hooked up to at least try it out . Everything went well until I tried to put it in my apparently smallish rack (gee everything else fit). The thing is just too big . It's narrow enough but too tall and too deep . I could put it up on top, but that would create some other problems (not to mention it's just a little scary putting that much weight on glass shelves, that high up). In the end, I probably will put it on top to give it ventilation - where it is now I only have 1" clearence on the top (but open sides). It gets warm (though not "real hot").

That being said, once I got it hooked up, all I can say is "wow". I played snippets of Blu-Ray (it does not like the Pioneer in forced 24p mode, though 1080i was fine - I have a 1080i TV and did not spend much time trying to figure it out), HD-DVD, SACD (through Dennon-Link III - 3910), and DVD. Many, many more things need to be done (and tried out - as apparently most new users are finding out). However, I must say I was very impressed with the True-HD (Master Audio will have to wait for the 2500). I was also very impressed with SACD. I think we have a winner here (so far). Hopefully this weedend I can spend a bunch of time setting things up and watching a few movies (I Robot is in the mail). Again - wow.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Fancy starting it? Or should we leave it to Franin?

Looks like Franin would rather have one of us start it, so what the heck I'll go ahead and start one.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Old 03-12-2008, 08:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogergraham View Post

Hmm, but that's where it makes no sense. A transport takes the digital signal and sends it unprocessed to the receiver/decoder/etc. In this case, there can be no difference in how noise or other artifacts are treated.

Are you talking about using the Samsung and Pioneer as a pure transport like the BT2500, or are you referring to them as players, in which case they may well have entirely different approaches to, and quality of, video processing?

I've been following your conversation about this, and then went and downloaded the manual for the 2500. Now I'm really confused! If you look at the sections on video and audio settings, it looks like pretty much like any other player, i.e., it can be set to output at selected resolutions, meaning it processes video, and it can be set to output bitstream OR LPCM, meaning it decodes audio. How is that a "pure" transport? That looks like the same options my player has....
Old 03-13-2008, 06:59 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Well guys it's now official, the AVP owners thread is now up!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post13367715

Frank
Old 03-13-2008, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=ohyeah32;13354002]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp View Post

Yikes, I hope it's not the Ethernet cable as that thing was @#!@! to run and conceal. I'm hoping that it's the router as I have been wanting to upgrade anyway. Any good recommendations for a Gigabit router? Thanks.

Seth

be sure that it supports jumbo frames
Old 03-13-2008, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
My dealer just informed me that Denon told him there was an issue with AVP and for him to ship back to them to have their engineers update it. I asked him why a simple firmware can't be done and he's going to call tomorrow to inform them he's in the middle of an install and see if they are just being overcautious or if it is a serious problem.

He isn't able to get me a 2500BTCI until next week either. This throws my whole install schedule off.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentium7 View Post

My dealer just informed me that Denon told him there was an issue with AVP and for him to ship back to them to have their engineers update it. I asked him why a simple firmware can't be done and he's going to call tomorrow to inform them he's in the middle of an install and see if they are just being overcautious or if it is a serious problem.

Any idea at all what the issue is?
Old 03-14-2008, 03:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile1178 View Post

Just wondering what type of speakers cables you are using? They look quite beefy!

Hi,

The cables are QED Genesis Silver Spiral, shortly to be replaced with QED Genesis Silver Spiral Bi-Wire.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog View Post

Any idea at all what the issue is?

+1

cheers
Norpus
Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

He isn't able to get me a 2500BTCI until next week either. This throws my whole install schedule off.

There is no issue, just running out of excuses.People on this forum are not experiencing any.They don't realise that you talk to people on the forum who own AVP.

Frank
Old 03-14-2008, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

There is no issue, just running out of excuses.People on this forum are not experiencing any.They don't realise that you talk to people on the forum who have them.

Mine doesn't make me breakfast or do the laundry, but aside from that, I haven't heard of, nor seen any issues.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSonics View Post

Mine doesn't make me breakfast or do the laundry, but aside from that, I haven't heard of, nor seen any issues.

Oh, damn, you must have gotten one of the bad units. Mine just made me some scrambled eggs....
Old 03-14-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

Oh, damn, you must have gotten one of the bad units. Mine just made me some scrambled eggs....

Scrambled? I think you need to re-run Audyssey.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 03-14-2008, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Scrambled? I think you need to re-run Audyssey.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Maybe I need a firmware update. I didn't see a menu item for:

Make Me Some Food
or
Scrambled Eggs

While my stomach may not bee happy, the ears are. The sound is pretty nice, and the HDMI works flawlessly.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

There is no issue, just running out of excuses.People on this forum are not experiencing any.They don't realise that you talk to people on the forum who own AVP.

As soon as I got a phone call and was able to post I did which was 1 hr ago. My dealer called me back after speaking with Denon engineer and their relations dept. The dealer happens to do theater screening rooms for the studios (new line cinemas etc) yes they do multimillion dollar installs commonly.

I was told the following in order 1 hr ago:

1. The AVP has a "addon" card for the video processing.
2. The AVP's video processing "addon card" is getting hot.
3. Denon engineers have determined it is due to the power supply supplying too much voltage.
4. They strongly recommended to get the unit swapped out, they are supposed to be contacting all dealers and the dealers are supposed to be contacting all customers regarding this.

Don't shoot the messenger, AVS has been very good to me over the years and there is no reason for the dealer to lie to me about this as the pallet was ready to ship with all of my other gear.

I have the option to have it shipped from CA to FL but I opted to get it replaced (1 week) then to install, program, then have to remove it out of my system.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:02 AM

Quote:

As soon as I got a phone call and was able to post I did which was 1 hr ago. My dealer called me back after speaking with Denon engineer and their relations dept. The dealer happens to do theater screening rooms for the studios (new line cinemas etc) yes they do multimillion dollar installs commonly.

I was told the following in order 1 hr ago:

1. The AVP has a "addon" card for the video processing.
2. The AVP's video processing "addon card" is getting hot.
3. Denon engineers have determined it is due to the power supply supplying too much voltage.
4. They strongly recommended to get the unit swapped out, they are supposed to be contacting all dealers and the dealers are supposed to be contacting all customers regarding this.

Don't shoot the messenger, AVS has been very good to me over the years and there is no reason for the dealer to lie to me about this as the pallet was ready to ship with all of my other gear.

I have the option to have it shipped from CA to FL but I opted to get it replaced (1 week) then to install, program, then have to remove it out of my system.

OK, its coming close to Monday in the US. I am hoping you guys contact your dealers there to find out if this is real or not please

cheers
Norpus
Old 03-17-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:

As soon as I got a phone call and was able to post I did which was 1 hr ago. My dealer called me back after speaking with Denon engineer and their relations dept....

Not possible...Denon has no Engineering department in North America....unless your dealer speaks Japanese and called Japan....he talked to a service tech....

Long Live WaltChan
Old 03-17-2008, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpaul View Post

Not possible...Denon has no Engineering department in North America....unless your dealer speaks Japanese and called Japan....he talked to a service tech....

I just got off the phone with the technical manager at Denon Canada..

There has not been any official technical bulletin issued about this from Denon Japan - which would have happened by now if this were a real problem..

Based on this, I'm proceeding with my order..The Canadian units are still on schedule for an end of March delivery..

John
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:

Well perhaps the dealer minced words, I don't know and don't care who he spoke with frankly. For the amount of money I have invested (10x the price of the AVP) on my HT so far he had better be straight up with me at the very least.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Maniac View Post

I just got off the phone with the technical manager at Denon Canada..

There has not been any official technical bulletin issued about this from Denon Japan - which would have happened by now if this were a real problem..

Based on this, I'm proceeding with my order..The Canadian units are still on schedule for an end of March delivery..

good to hear

"Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Welcome to my lounge room :)
Old 03-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wouldn't say that they have no Engineers. The designer of the POA-S1 lives in the US if i remember correctly.

Still heard nothing from the UK...

I will email Denon directly.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't say that they have no Engineers. The designer of the POA-S1 lives in the US if i remember correctly.

Still heard nothing from the UK...

I will email Denon directly.

All current AVR/AVP Engineering is done in Japan....

Long Live WaltChan
Old 03-17-2008, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just spoke to the head of Denon Tech Support in NJ headquarters. He has no knowledge of any heat issue with the AVP nor is there any recall on it. I don't know how rumors like this get started, but I'd love to trace it back to the source and find out what motives or agendas were in play. The sad thing is that even after these falsehoods are debunked, the germ continues to get spread by people who have glanced at the thread and not followed the topic to its conclusion. They end up saying to others "I think I read somewhere that it has an overheating problem."