Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up the SR605 for two main reasons:

1) The ability to accept TrueHD and DTS MA and lossless PCM bitstream or raw code from a player transport it via HDMI 1.3 and decode it in the AVR.

2) The possibility of some improvement in SD picture quality from my Moto 3416 cable box.

1- THD & DTS
This ojective is unfulfilled but not due to the receiver. My Tosh XA2 simply will not pass the bitstream to the 605. The XA2 will decode THD but its max is 5.1, DTS is core only. The feed is MCH PCM 5.1. Thats OK, I like PCM, I'd be fine if the XA2 did 7.1 this way.

Since my other Onk will accept and do a fine job with THD over analog Multi I'm not really any further ahead.

2- SD PQ
The 605 will process 480i into 480p or even 720p. I do notice a modest improvement in PQ on some SD channels. This is good. Whats not good is that I can't just connect the STB via HDMI and let the ONK work on the 480i signal and just leave the 1080i HD signal alone. To me that would be the best of my expectations. The fact is that HDMI is Pass Through so it won't allow this. On the other hand if I come out of the STB with a component input I can see my 480i going to 480p (or 720p) with some PQ enhancement. But, my 1080i HD signals are now going to the TV advertised as 720p. I ran some comparisons this morning and although the 720p out is pretty okey dokey, the unadulterated 1080i signal does have more detail.

There are workarounds but they are a bit cumbersome. I wouldn't call the cumbersome part a deal breaker its just that it didn't work as I would have thought or hoped. I pray someone else can show me a good fix. I'm a PQ fanatic (I do have to re-tweak my new component in port) so I've always been an audio folks for audio, video for video) so the whole idea of running many in one or two out isn't the best in my opinion but I'm trying to work through it.

3- However I did get some features I didn't count on.
a) The Audyssey EQ2 is simply FAB and this is the lite version compared to the other models. Surround has never been better. Fuller, great participation from the surrounds, much more bass out of the surrounds and a seamless experience. Just supah. And yes you can manually tweak.

b) Its a little thing but they have broadened the volume scale to allow finer adjustment. I love it.

c) The OSD works well and if you are in any resolution below 1080, things like surround format, volume, etc. show up as overlay. Sweet.

d) The remote has a few new buttons. Small wow.

e) Audio performance is excellent in my view. I think this has as much to do with the EQ more than anything. Don't know - don't care, it sounds good,

I was prepared to return the unit today and use the (was it 27 or 30?) pieces of silver to pick up the new Panny bd10A that has all the audio goodies including 7.1 analog outs. Now I could almost have it all. A great HD DVD machine with superb video (SD & HD) processing and fair audio support. A new BD player with a VG rep for BD PQ and advanced audio capability. Hell of a plan.

However, I was just pointed in the direction of a post by a fellow who pointed out that a firmware upgrade by Tosh was expected to take advantage of HDMI 1.3 and pass the bitstream and/or internal support for THD and DTS MA. I had read that before, so I was very glad to see it again.

Bottom line - The SR 605 is now part of the family. Its stayin.

Now, on to work on the work-arounds, come up with a pre-TV video calibration scheme by device, let my family watch some TV and start saving returnables for the Panny.

I do recommend this component.

Very good luck to all in your discerning decision making.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 02:42 PM

Nice stuff Mr.Gribbles.

For those running a ps3 on this model are you guys pleased?
post #273 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How do the Onkyos sound compared to a H/K?
post #274 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticustrd View Post

Nice stuff Mr.Gribbles.

This is what I am waiting for....
post #275 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Mr gribbles,

Thank you for posting your experiences over the past few days. I pre-ordered the 605 because I have an older receiver (Onkyo 501) which has no HDMI support, and as an owner of both a Blu-Ray and HD DVD standalone players, I realized I absolutely needed HDMI to take full advantage of TrueHD and PCM (neither of my players support HDMI 1.3). It sounds like, for the $399 price I paid including shipping and no tax, the 605 will be a good fit. Very happy to here about the Audyssey EQ2 experience. Thanks again.
post #276 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

If anyone wanted to reset their 605 to default factory settings, try
pressing POWER and VCR/DVR at the same the and it will clear everything.
post #277 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 04:07 PM

Hoping someone can answer this. I've been following this thread on the upscaling and secret menu and all that. I am receiving my 605 on Tues, and here is what I will be connecting:

Xbox 360 - Component
PS3 - HDMI
HD-D2 - HDMI
Nintendo WII - Component
Comcast Motorola DVR - Component

All of this will connect to my Toshiba 52hm84 TV (720p native) over HDMI. What is the best setting for the secret menu? I'd like my Nintendo Wii and any Non-HD cable to be upscaled to 720P, but I don't want it to touch the signal on the PS3 or D2. (Both of those are set to 720p already, as is the Xbox). I'm just confused on what the best setting will be.

Thanks!
post #278 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 05:03 PM

Also, I just finished watching "night at the museum" and chose DTS HD 5.1 Master for my audio selection on the blu ray (using PS3)...i have 2 selections on my 605 receiver....DVD Direct & DVD Multichannel. Is there a difference? I couldn't tell the difference in sound.
post #279 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone using this receiver with a Samsung BD-P1200?

Making the most out of what I got.
post #280 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticustrd View Post

Nice stuff Mr.Gribbles.

I for one am pleased for the most part. I bought this receiver and ditched my yammy 2400. I have the tosh HD-A1 and used the multichannel inputs on the yammy to experience DD+ and TRUHD which was great, but left me wanting the same with BluRay. So now I have it all (except for DTS-HD). I will say this-those who are looking for uncompressed audio can probably find other and cheaper alternatives. I'm happy with the satisfaction that I have a receiver that can handle anything that is thrown at it. (I currently have 5.1 setup so I don't care about all the DDIIx processing stuff) Oh, and it sounds better than my yamaha.
post #281 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusta View Post

Hoping someone can answer this. I've been following this thread on the upscaling and secret menu and all that. I am receiving my 605 on Tues, and here is what I will be connecting:

Xbox 360 - Component
PS3 - HDMI
HD-D2 - HDMI
Nintendo WII - Component
Comcast Motorola DVR - Component

All of this will connect to my Toshiba 52hm84 TV (720p native) over HDMI. What is the best setting for the secret menu? I'd like my Nintendo Wii and any Non-HD cable to be upscaled to 720P, but I don't want it to touch the signal on the PS3 or D2. (Both of those are set to 720p already, as is the Xbox). I'm just confused on what the best setting will be.

Thanks!

By what I've been reading, it sounds like you should select "720p" from the secret menu. The receiver will not touch any signal coming in over HDMI, so your PS3 and D2 shouldn't be an issue. Since you want a 720p signal coming in to your TV for all sources, setting 720p in the secret menu will scale all of your component inputs to 720p over HDMI. You shouldn't see any loss in PQ if you send a 720p component signal or if you down-res a 1080i signal from your DVR or 360.
post #282 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 06:04 PM

Overall sound quality of the Onkyo is very good i think. I upgraded from the Yamaha HTR-5640. Here's my current setup:
TV: 60" SXRD XBR Sony
DVD/Blu-Ray: PS3
Front Speakers: Polk Monitor 70's
Center: Polk CSi3
Back Surround: Polk RTi4's
Sub: Polk PSW303
Cable: Verizon FIOS HD-DVR
post #283 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mr.Gribbles.

If you watch a HD DVD movie what is the default sound mode showed on the receiver display?

Dolby? Dolby+? TrueHD?

Is there any sound improve if you modify that mode?

How do you know if the decode is being made in the player or in the receiver?

Sorry.. too much questions...
post #284 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post

Mr.Gribbles.

If you watch a HD DVD movie what is the default sound mode showed on the receiver display?

Dolby? Dolby+? TrueHD?

In HD DVD, all of the decoding for HD DVD media will be done in the players (this is for 99% of the titles). Discs that are authored in advanced mode REQUIRE player decoding, and will not pass out DD+ or THD as a bitstream... almost all titles to date are authored in advnaced mode, and there is a ADV. MODE indicator on the from of the newer HD DVD players.

Have the PCM output set to auto.. bitstreams for SD DVD, decoded advanced format to PCM for HD DVD, which is the highest quality available... make sure you set the HD DVD players audio options to SUB=USE, and set all speakers to large.
post #285 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks a lot for your quick response
post #286 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 06:38 PM

Quote:

In HD DVD, all of the decoding for HD DVD media will be done in the players (this is for 99% of the titles). Discs that are authored in advanced mode REQUIRE player decoding, and will not pass out DD+ or THD as a bitstream... almost all titles to date are authored in advnaced mode, and there is a ADV. MODE indicator on the from of the newer HD DVD players.

There is talk of a pass-through mode that would disable some advance features in order to allow for bitstream output of lossless codecs, so receiver decoding for HD DVD is not totally out of the question for future players.
post #287 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

So there is no use for this audio modes on the 605?

Why Onkyo created them in the first place .. ?
post #288 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post

Mr.Gribbles.

Dolby? Dolby+? TrueHD?

The display reads "MCH PCM 5.1" Which means, MultiChannel PCM as the player is doing the decoding and sending out PCM.

You can't modify MCH in the 605.

You can cycle through the display to see input source and output format

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #289 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

The same as my TX-Sr703.. it shows Multi Channel but I connected the HD DVD to the receiver via analog since my receiver doesn't have any HDMI inputs
post #290 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

The display reads "MCH PCM 5.1" Which means, MultiChannel PCM as the player is doing the decoding and sending out PCM.

You can't modify MCH in the 605.

You can cycle through the display to see input source and output format

Can i get mine to display the actual display? Instead of it saying DVD Multichannel or DVD Direct?
post #291 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_W View Post

There is talk of a pass-through mode that would disable some advance features in order to allow for bitstream output of lossless codecs, so receiver decoding for HD DVD is not totally out of the question for future players.

And why would you want to disable advanced content when the player can decode the lossless audio anyway? The sound will be exactly the same decoded in the player or the receiver.
post #292 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Advanced Member

Same question again then

Why Onkyo create this new modes on their receivers if they are not usables any way?
post #293 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 09:05 PM

There is a bitstream output setting for Blu-ray disk on the PS3, I just came across it (I had posted earlier that I couldn't find it on my PS3). Has anyone with a PS3 and the 605 tried outputting audio via bit stream yet? I think this is a new feature that must have come with a firmware update... as it has been stated that the PS3 was incapable of doing this. I don't believe I've read that anyone has tried this. Has anyone been able to utlize this and if so, was the 605 successful at processing DTS-MA?
post #294 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 09:08 PM

common guys who got the 605 convince me I should keep it....I have couple days till it ships out.
post #295 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

mrgribbles posted this

a) The Audyssey EQ2 is simply FAB and this is the lite version compared to the other models. Surround has never been better. Fuller, great participation from the surrounds, much more bass out of the surrounds and a seamless experience. Just supah. And yes you can manually tweak.

b) Its a little thing but they have broadened the volume scale to allow finer adjustment. I love it.

c) The OSD works well and if you are in any resolution below 1080, things like surround format, volume, etc. show up as overlay. Sweet.

d) The remote has a few new buttons. Small wow.

e) Audio performance is excellent in my view. I think this has as much to do with the EQ more than anything. Don't know - don't care, it sounds good.

They are all good points.
post #296 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshigashi View Post

There is a bitstream output setting for Blu-ray disk on the PS3, I just came across it (I had posted earlier that I couldn't find it on my PS3). Has anyone with a PS3 and the 605 tried outputting audio via bit stream yet? I think this is a new feature that must have come with a firmware update... as it has been stated that the PS3 was incapable of doing this. I don't believe I've read that anyone has tried this. Has anyone been able to utlize this and if so, was the 605 successful at processing DTS-MA?

To set the output to bitstream for blu-ray playback, it is not under audio settings. It is under BD/DVD settings > BD/DVD Audio Output format (HDMI).... it has the choices Linear PCM and Bitstream.

If someone would try this out, I would think that a lot of people like myself would be very interested. I think the main question is will the PS3 pas of DTS-MA and will it be decoded by the 605. DTS-MA is something Fox movies use, here is a list of BD movies... if anyone has one of the movies with a (MA) next to it please let us know how this works out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=753726&page=1

Maybe HDMI 1.3 is actually here?
post #297 of 10257 Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshigashi View Post

To set the output to bitstream for blu-ray playback, it is not under audio settings. It is under BD/DVD settings > BD/DVD Audio Output format (HDMI).... it has the choices Linear PCM and Bitstream.

If someone would try this out, I would think that a lot of people like myself would be very interested. I think the main question is will the PS3 pas of DTS-MA and will it be decoded by the 605. DTS-MA is something Fox movies use, here is a list of BD movies... if anyone has one of the movies with a (MA) next to it please let us know how this works out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=753726&page=1

Maybe HDMI 1.3 is actually here?

I though Linear PCM was better for Blu ray and Bitstream for optical
post #298 of 10257 Old 06-04-2007, 12:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Is there a BLU RAY or HD DVD player on the market right now that can pass a Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master Audio signal so decoding can take place in the ONKYO TX-SR605 receiver? And if you actually heard it, let me know.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #299 of 10257 Old 06-04-2007, 12:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you mean the 605 has AAC decoding ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle2k7 View Post

That exactly my question here, too !!!! I read the manual as no, so.... ?

Btw, AAC is an audio codec known as Advanced Audio Coding and has no real basis outide Asia, i.e. cannot be decoded by most EU an US AVRs. PS3 can decode and send as PCM.

Man see things as they were n say why. I dream of things that never were, n say why not ....... A Perfect PROJECTOR
post #300 of 10257 Old 06-04-2007, 04:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

I love the speaker indicator feature. It takes away all the guess work. The 605 and most Onks I know of let you cycle through the display so it will go something like this:

DVD (vol) 45 -
DD 5.1 (this is the source)
DD PLIIx (this is the output format)

Thanks mrG.... would have been a nice feature to have on the 605.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page