post #361 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Right now, I'm hoping that the Samsung BD-P1200 will send these formats via bitstream. I've been given conflicting information when speaking to level II techs at Samsung. Another hope is the new Sony BDPS300 which may be able to send these format bitstream.

We were just discussing that model also. Its DTS HD. The MA is conspicuous by tis absence. Keep up the prodding at Samsung please.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

We were just discussing that model also. Its DTS HD. The MA is conspicuous by tis absence. Keep up the prodding at Samsung please.

Well the Samsung doesn't decode DTS-HD HR internaly like the Panasonic does, it only sends the 1.5mb core. I'm going to keep trying with Samsung but I should be able to try this hands on very soon.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #363 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I think its safe to say the receiver camp and the BD & HDDVD camp never talked to each other. Maybe Onkyo will release their own player that works. SOMEBODY SHOULD!!!

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #364 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

I think its safe to say the receivers camp and the BD & HDDVD camp never talked to each other. Maybe Onkyo will release their own player that works. SOMEBODY SHOULD!!!

This is true, As I mentioned in the Onkyo Anticipation thread these Onkyo's are way ahead of their time. DTS-HD and TrueHD decoding sounds good, but it's only one part of the link.

post #365 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I Remember somebody said Onkyo will release their HD DVD player in October... lets hope
post #366 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 02:00 PM

I was wondering since the 605 is having the problems with component to HDMI converted to 720p will the other new Onkyo's coming out have this same problem? And if anyone knows of a good receiver in the same price range that allows HDMI Switching and analog to HDMI video conversion like the 605?
post #367 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman3241 View Post

I was wondering since the 605 is having the problems with component to HDMI converted to 720p will the other new Onkyo's coming out have this same problem? And if anyone knows of a good receiver in the same price range that allows HDMI Switching and analog to HDMI video conversion like the 605?

It's highly likely that the 705 and 805 will be effected as well.

post #368 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Here's a new discovery...

Well...I went on to the DVD player, selected the HDMI input on my display and tossed in SW III Revenge of the Sith. As soon as I hit play, I was greeted with a warning (that appeared and disappeared quickly) stating something to the effect about a resolution warning and that the resolution has been set to 480P!

I know this has something to do with HDCP, I just don't know if it was generated by my HD A2 or the 605. The dialog box looked very similar to the ones that my DVD player spits out periodically, so I am going to blame it.

The moral of the story is it seems I won't be able to upconvert DVDs directly, I will have to rip them to my NAS first. Oh well, you can't have it all...Where would you put it?

Regards...Will

P.S. I guess I really should not complain. The HD A2 does a fantastic job of upconverting SD DVDs on it's own. I just wanted to see if there may have been even a slight improvement in PQ.

That resolution warning is being generated by the A2. I'm running component (to 37" LCD) and hdmi (to projector) and you get that if you have the player set to 720p/1080i via hdmi and also the component output hooked up.

I have trouble, though - with the HDMI hooked up to the projector and try to play a normal DVD, its a black screen via component if the projector is off, and 480p if the projector is on. Kinda weird. So when the wife wants to watch DVDs she has to flip it to 480p before putting the disc in.

I'm waiting for the 605 so I can change my wiring all to HDMI. The analog 1080i->720p issue doesn't matter for me since both of my devices are ~720p.

"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
post #369 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Right now, I'm hoping that the Samsung BD-P1200 will send these formats via bitstream. I've been given conflicting information when speaking to level II techs at Samsung. Another hope is the new Sony BDPS300 which may be able to send these format bitstream.

Well the new Sony BDP-S300 does support DD+ LPCM 7.1 via HDMI according to the manual. There was a news release from Sony today that may also make BDP-S1 owners happy......

The company additionally announced a new free firmware update for the BDP-S1 that allows it to decode Dolby Digital Plus & Dolby True HD audio codecs. The update will be available next week for download at www.sony.com/blurayupdate.

Wonder if the only updates will be for the more expensive Sony and will they release DD-THD for the new one later?
post #370 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post

Well the new Sony BDP-S300 does support DD+ LPCM 7.1 via HDMI according to the manual. There was a news release from Sony today that may also make BDP-S1 owners happy......

The company additionally announced a new free firmware update for the BDP-S1 that allows it to decode Dolby Digital Plus & Dolby True HD audio codecs. The update will be available next week for download at www.sony.com/blurayupdate.

Wonder if the only updates will be for the more expensive Sony and will they release DD-THD for the new one later?

I saw this earlier, what I didn't see however was any mention of DTS-HD MA via bitstream on the S300, this should be a definite at this point.

post #371 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman3241 View Post

It's interesting that people are labeling this as a "problem" just because it doesn't seem to work the way they would like it to. It's not a "problem" or a "bug" it's a design implementation decision that Onkyo chose to make. However, I do believe it was a bad decision not to support higher bandwidth HDMI conversion. From what I hear, it sounds like it does a good job even when converting down to 720p. If your really hung up on keeping your 1080 component sources 1080, then your going to have to run component and HDMI to your display.
post #372 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoug View Post

It's interesting that people are labeling this as a "problem" just because it doesn't seem to work the way they would like it to. It's not a "problem" or a "bug" it's a design implementation decision that Onkyo chose to make. However, I do believe it was a bad decision not to support higher bandwidth HDMI conversion. From what I hear, it sounds like it does a good job even when converting down to 720p. If your really hung up on keeping your 1080 component sources 1080, then your going to have to run component and HDMI to your display.

It seems like a clear design flaw to me to down-res a signal when you could just as easily leave it alone. Not to mention the fact that the marketing literature and manual do not disclose this little tidbit.
post #373 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

The resolution specification is based upon the capabilities within the chip..
post #374 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo0 View Post

It seems like a clear design flaw to me to down-res a signal when you could just as easily leave it alone. Not to mention the fact that the marketing literature and manual do not disclose this little tidbit.

I agree completely, especially when you consider taking a 1080 signal making it 720p and then having your tv put it to the native resolution. Also the point of having the conversion from analog to hdmi is to only run one cable to display. I hope something happens on this issue. I still think it will be a great receiver from what I've been reading, this is the only issue that has me on the fence. Thanks
post #375 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On the surface I kinda agree with you. I may have referred to it as a problem. It would have been better to say, a problem for me.

On the other hand I feel it is a bit of a stretch for Onkyo to take a higher resolution signal down to a lower resolution and in the same context talk about "upconversion." That doesn't jive in any mans book.

I reported that the down conversion to 720P and then back to 1080p in my Mits wasn't bad. On some programming, hard to tell, but on other programming it isn't the same. 1080i wins on most HD programming. The 480i to 480p in the 605 is an improvement, once again, somewhat source material specific. It is an implementation issue.

BTW - I called Onkyo Tech support @ 10:00 am, discussed the issue, didn't get very far on the phone except that they felt my TV was fibbing to me. When I mentioned that at least a 1/2 dozen people I'm in correspondence with have the same issue, I got a promise of some investigation and a call back within the hour. Going on 7 hours later - No return call. I hope others who have called are getting better response.

post #376 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo0 View Post

I did say it was a poor design choice that was brought on by choosing to use the Genesis 8125 video processor. There are other Genesis video processors that would've been a better choice that would support 1080 conversion to HDMI.

Onkyo is also at fault for very poorly documenting the component to HDMI conversion. The manual should describe the conversion supported just as it does for the audio decoding, but has no info what so ever! I think this is why most people assumed that it would up-convert any component video without messing with the resolution. If they had documented this, they wouldn't have so many dis-appointed potential owners!
post #377 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 03:00 PM

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but why not use a wiki style system for these official posts? That way we can systematically answer questions/retrieve answered questions. It would alleviate the number of times questions get repeated, and make answers far easier to find.
post #378 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW - I called Onkyo Tech support @ 10:00 am, discussed the issue, didn't get very far on the phone except that they felt my TV was fibbing to me. When I mentioned that at least a 1/2 dozen people I'm in correspondence with have the same issue, I got a promise of some investigation and a call back within the hour. Going on 7 hours later - No return call. I hope others who have called are getting better response.

Greg,

Same here. I haven't heard a thing from them. It's been about 7 hours for me as well. Regards...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #379 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 06:18 PM

Hello Mr mrgribbles

I read the manual and i see 2 different setting concerns Hdmi: YES & NO

When Hdmi is set to YES:
component IN ----> hdmi OUT (where you said = 720p max)

What happen when Hdmi is set to NO:
component IN ----> component OUT = 1080i/p in the display? (passthrough)
I understand that we could connect one other source IN like:
Hdmi IN -----> hdmi OUT (passthrough)

If it's right, we don't have limitation problem to 720p! We have just to connect two wires IN for the receiver and two wires OUT to the display. Is it right?

Regards,
post #380 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 06:20 PM

Hello Mr mrgribbles

When Hdmi is set to YES:

If it's right, we don't have limitation problem to 720p! We have just to connect two wires IN for the receiver and two wires OUT to the display. Is it right?

Regards,
post #381 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Has anyone heard from J&R that they are shipping units?
post #382 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. We have discussed a number of viable workarounds for this. Most involve 2 or so connections. I've tested them and they work. jshigashi has a good workaround that he posted earlier that involves a component and an HDMI. I put one up with 2 component and HDMI. So yes, we all can get around this thing.

But here's the bottom line. To get the most out of this unit when watching cable or sat, you have o go through a number of steps JUSt TO CHANGE A CHANNEL. Thats where the probem is.

Right now I' getting a bit steamed at Onkyo. Apprently another fellow called Onkyo and they're saying that what we know to be true doesn't exist. In spite of the fact that I would like to persist with this unit and engineer a good workarounfd solution, I find it hard to associate myself with either ignorance or prevarication. I guess right now I'm disaapointed in the response or lack of responce we are getting. I think theythink if they can waffle long enough we'll learn to live with their mis-applcation. Not me.

Thanks for your input.

post #383 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:

..... you have o go through a number of steps JUSt TO CHANGE A CHANNEL. Thats where the probem is.

Yes it's thru, and I don't know if it's a hard work. For example if you set hdmi to NO I think component and hdmi are passthrough (correct?)

In this condition you loose the upscale. But if you change the setting to hdmi YES, well you have your cable or sat upscale to hdmi (720p when component IN)

Question: to change the setting of hdmi (YES---> NO --->YES) how many time? It's realy difficult for your family? Can we save a macro to do it in one remote controller?

Regards
post #384 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 07:11 PM

Did the 604 have the same issue or did it not convert the component to HDMI?
post #385 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 07:38 PM

604... Here we are speaking about 605, and the 605 upconvert: s-vid, composite and component to hdmi (no more of 720p and passtrough all you are IN 480 to 1080).
post #386 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshigashi View Post

To set the output to bitstream for blu-ray playback, it is not under audio settings. It is under BD/DVD settings > BD/DVD Audio Output format (HDMI).... it has the choices Linear PCM and Bitstream.

If someone would try this out, I would think that a lot of people like myself would be very interested. I think the main question is will the PS3 pas of DTS-MA and will it be decoded by the 605. DTS-MA is something Fox movies use, here is a list of BD movies... if anyone has one of the movies with a (MA) next to it please let us know how this works out.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=753726&page=1

Maybe HDMI 1.3 is actually here?

Anyone try this yet?
post #387 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40W2000 View Post

Hello Mr mrgribbles

When Hdmi is set to YES:

Regards,

Yes I think you have it. In the anticipation thread, joerod just got his 805. I'm interested in his findings also.

post #388 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:

604... Here we are speaking about 605, and the 605 upconvert: s-vid, composite and component to hdmi (no more of 720p and passtrough all you are IN 480 to 1080).

I realize that. I was just wondering what Last Years model did.
post #389 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Hello Mr mrgribbles

When Hdmi is set to YES:

Regards,

Could someone reply to this guys question? He has already asked this a couple of times but I did not see a reply. I am interested to know as well
post #390 of 10258 Old 06-04-2007, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parry View Post

Could someone reply to this guys question? He has already asked this a couple of times but I did not see a reply. I am interested to know as well

With all respect, which part of my two recent direct responses to 40w2000 didn't you get. In addition I've answered the same questions about ten times over the last three days.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page