Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I notice that there are a lot of wasted posts telling us when they're going to get their 605s. Please do not leave these types of posts which serve no purpose. It already takes forever to go through all of the useful posts.

It could be argued, I guess, that these posts would be more appropriate in the "anticipation" thread. But is IS useful for those waiting to hear that others have theirs on the way. So I wouldn't call them "wasted" by any means.

I'd rather wade through posts like those than ones containing the following:

"Can you tell me how the 605 sounds compared to AVR X that won't be released for three months?"

"I live in a cave deep inside the Appalachian mountains. How will the 605 look and sound in an all-stone environment?"

"When will the 606 be released, and how will it sound?"

"Can the 605 output sound without speakers and/or video without a display?"

"What? The 605 won't give me full 1080P HDMI upconversion and 7.1 sound processing on my ColecoVision? Deal Breaker!"

"Is the 605 bigger than a breadbox? Does it also function as a breadbox? My current AVR does, and is no bigger than. If not: Deal Breaker!"

"Does the 605 provide noticeable "male enhancement," including added girth and stamina?"

"What is a 605 anyway? I can't find that information anywhere."

Of course, I'm waiting on my 805, so you can just count this as a wasted post too.

Come, let us kill the spirit of gravity...
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berringer View Post

I bought this receiver a couple of days ago from CC because Onkyo have a good reputation for sound quality and I wanted one HDMI wire to the TV with no multiple remote headaches for the wife and kids (I have a DVR, Toshiba A2 HD-DVD and Cyberhome standard DVD hooked up (standard DVD because I have a bunch of region 4 DVDs that the Toshiba A2 won't play))

Last night I noticed the picture quality from my Comcast Moto DVR looked a lot worse going through the receiver than direct, and discovered that the darn thing is downscaling my 1080i to 720p.

Seems from mrgribbles' extensive analysis that there is no way around this (while keeping a single remote solution). What a huge disappointment, and a big black mark against Onkyo as far as I am concerned (this is the first Onkyo product I have purchased).

They shouldn't call it "upscaling", rather "rescaling". Reminds me of the old Model T Ford: "You can have any color you like as long as it is black". Seems we can have any resolution we like, as long as it is 720p. Grrr.

I'm a little PO'd at Onk meself. What are your connections? maybe we can come up with a reasonable way to do this thing.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #723 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

I didn't order a 605 and consequently know it will never arrive

Then why are you posting on the "owner's" thread?
Ha
post #724 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizaref1 View Post

Then why are you posting on the "owner's" thread?
Ha

Who told you future owners are not allowed to post in this thread ? I think you need more explaining to do.
post #725 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Anyone running a long HDMI cable to a display from their 605, like over 30'?

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

post #726 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

I'm a little PO'd at Onk meself. What are your connections? maybe we can come up with a reasonable way to do this thing.

The TV is a 65" Mitsubishi WD-65732 [does a great job of its own upscaling]

I currently have the Onkyo connected via HDMI out and Component Out to the TV.

DVR is a Comcast Motorola - only has Component Out which is connected to Component In on the Onkyo. Sound is via SPDIF Coax to Onkyo.

Toshiba A2 is connected via HDMI to the Onkyo.

Cyberhome is connected via Component to Onkyo. Sound via SPDIF Coax to Onkyo.

FWIW, Onkyo sound goes out to an Onkyo HT740 7.1 speaker system, which sounds remarkably good given that it only cost about $200 (BTW, I noticed a few people were wondering whether the Onkyo uses all 7 speakers with a 5.1 input; I can verify that it does)

I have the Onkyo remote programmed for the TV and DVR, so currently I change channels, pause, etc with it. But the Onkyo remote won't switch inputs on the TV (I have tried all codes). So when I want to watch a HD-DVD, I have to grab the TV remote, change the input, and change the input on the Onkyo remote. Not a big deal but definitely fails the wife test and annoying when having one wire out from the receiver was a key factor in the purchase decision.
post #727 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrfallen View Post

I also, personally, did not like the front panel. It does not show diagrams of what speakers are being utilized like most higher end receivers (and even lower end) I've used. And we also could not rename inputs

Mine comes on Wednesday, I am excited for sure, but the above bumbs me out a little. I like to see that my sub is going, or what output I am getting... Also, the changing the input names is basic, why they would not put that feature in is silly.

Eitherway, Very happy tog et a new receiver to accompany my new HD-A2.

Dale
post #728 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey View Post

Anyone running a long HDMI cable to a display from their 605, like over 30'?

I'd like to hear this too. I have a 10 ft run to the projector and a ~25ft run to my LCD.

"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
post #729 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berringer View Post

The TV is a 65" Mitsubishi WD-65732 [does a great job of its own upscaling]

I currently have the Onkyo connected via HDMI out and Component Out to the TV.

DVR is a Comcast Motorola - only has Component Out which is connected to Component In on the Onkyo. Sound is via SPDIF Coax to Onkyo.

Toshiba A2 is connected via HDMI to the Onkyo.

Cyberhome is connected via Component to Onkyo. Sound via SPDIF Coax to Onkyo.

FWIW, Onkyo sound goes out to an Onkyo HT740 7.1 speaker system, which sounds remarkably good given that it only cost about $200 (BTW, I noticed a few people were wondering whether the Onkyo uses all 7 speakers with a 5.1 input; I can verify that it does)

I have the Onkyo remote programmed for the TV and DVR, so currently I change channels, pause, etc with it. But the Onkyo remote won't switch inputs on the TV (I have tried all codes). So when I want to watch a HD-DVD, I have to grab the TV remote, change the input, and change the input on the Onkyo remote. Not a big deal but definitely fails the wife test and annoying when having one wire out from the receiver was a key factor in the purchase decision.

The 605 has a learning remote, right? I had to teach a command or two to my 601 remote. You should be able to teach it the code with your TV remote.

"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
post #730 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post

The 605 has a learning remote, right? I had to teach a command or two to my 601 remote. You should be able to teach it the code with your TV remote.

I can't find it documented in the manual.

Although they do offer this very helpful advice on page 96:

To control another manufacturer's component, point the remote contoller at that component.

No kidding...
post #731 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No its the old enter the other component code from a list and hope one works.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #732 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 11:21 AM

My 605 from Crutchfield shows a today delivery from UPS. Still no word from the other I pre-ordered from JR in mid-April. Guess the extra $50 was worth it. The anticipation is killing me.... must concentrate on work.....
post #733 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 11:51 AM

My605 is still in the garage sealed from Crutchfield. This week has been bussy for me. Are you guys satisfied with with this unit?? Is it worth the it?$$ I am dying to know.
post #734 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

Learning capability for the remote control is found in the 705 and up...
post #735 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 12:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebar View Post

If saving $100 and getting it tomorrow is being shafted, then I guess so..

FYI, J&R has limited shipping options to Hawaii; thus the price difference against free shipping at Crutchfield was about $45.00. (I'm not the original Hawaii poster you were replying to, but I'm in Hawaii, too, and ordered from Crutchfield.)

Ironically, my receiver ended up beating my cables here, so I'm only partially set up at this point. I did audition some CDs yesterday with the same connections I had on my 11-year old Yamaha -- perhaps my ears were accustomed to Yammy, but the Onkyo sounded a little . . . harsh . . .to me. But lots more testing and auditioning to do. . .jury is still out.
post #736 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine is still out for delivery and the UPS truck has already come and gone once already today. The day of my delivery would have to be the day I'm told the delivery person is a new face. For all I know my 605 is under a pile of boxes in his truck and is just being overlooked. Just my luck.

"Guns? Guns are easy."
post #737 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

No its the old enter the other component code from a list and hope one works.

Does the receiver come with a list of codes for other components? I didn't see a list in the PDF manual.
post #738 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcapsley View Post

Does the receiver come with a list of codes for other components? I didn't see a list in the PDF manual.

It comes in a separate leaflet. Online, you can find it in the accessories area of the manuals.
post #739 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwkid View Post

I have the older Sony XBR 60" Rear Projection TV. I got it right before the HDMI inputs were added so mine only has a DVI input. Has anyone had any problems sending Video to their DVI connection on any type of TV through the 605. I am thinking of buying a 605 but want to make sure there is not any HDCP problems from a cable box or HD-DVD(TOSH XA2)/Blu-Ray player (PS3) through DVI.

I'd like to know this also. I have a Sammy dlp with DVI only.
post #740 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcapsley View Post

Mine was a separate sheet in the same bag as the manual.
post #741 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo0 View Post

I'll be damned. Exactly 20 minutes after I posted this I got a shipping confirmation from J&R. The 605 is supposed to arrive Monday. Maybe someone there is monitoring the forum for disgruntled customers

!!! What? I order mine on June 6th and it hasn't shipped yet! ouragous.

..actually I am ok with the wiat
post #742 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't watched a bluray or dvd since I pre-ordered this a month ago and I'm getting a little impatient now .
post #743 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusive1 View Post

My605 is still in the garage sealed from Crutchfield. This week has been bussy for me. Are you guys satisfied with with this unit?? Is it worth the it?$$ I am dying to know.

Very satisfied. You can check my many posts detailing why I am. Congratulations and get that thing unpacked and get busy.

Regards...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #744 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 102
It seems like the majority of people who are not happy with the 605 are upset due to two reasons:
- analog upscaling from 480(i/p) to 720p over HDMI
- getting 7.1 channels from PCM (not being able to apply processing to add the additional two channels)

Personally, I am not affected by either of these as I plan on using the 605 for my Blu-Ray and HD DVD players via HDMI to my television (5.1 setup) I am going to plug my DISH HD DVR directly into my Samsung DLP via HDMI to DVI (I have one HDMI and one DVI port on my 56" Sammy) and then run an optical cable from the DVR to the 605 for 5.1 sound. I am also going to connect my Xbox 360 directly into my TV via component (component will support up to 1080p for gaming) and an optical cable from my 360 to my 605.

The 605 is the lowest end 1.3 Onkyo receiver. From what I have read, it sounds pretty bloody good for the money. If people need more functionality, get the 705/805. I think people are expecting way too much out of a $399 recevier....
post #745 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 02:21 PM

While I am waiting for next Wednesday, here is my current setup, and I would enjoy any comments from anyone on here stating what I can expect with what I have (thanks in advance)

TV: Tosh 52HM95 (720p/1080i) - will connect to this with HDMI. I pickup several OTA HD channels (CBS, FOX, ABC) which go directly into the TV. So now I gotta figure out how to connect my HD rabbit ears. If I connect them to the antenna input on the back of the 605 will it stay as HD when passed thru the HDMI cable to the TV? Right now all my OTA HD channels are 720p. The HD PBS channel which I never can get 99% of the time does come in 1080i. If our local NBC channel ever gets online it will be 1080i as well.

DVD: Sammy 850 - will connect from this with HDMI. It upconverts to 1080i

CABLE BOX: Run of the mill Motorola box connected from this with Composite.

PS2: Right now connected to my TV via Component cables (right now will show 480p in progressive games and 1080i in (at least) Gran Tourismo 4.

Until I buy new speakers, I'll be using my little 9W black cubes from my existing Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 (which I am using right now for 5.1). I suppose I will cut off the male RCA connections and use the two bare wires to connect to the spearker outs on 605.

Hopefully at least my DVDs will pass thru the 605 as 1080i and not downconvert.

post #746 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 02:42 PM

Excited that I will finally be able to get my hands on experience with the 605 early next week.

Anyhow, can anyone answer a couple of questions for me.

I plan on running component into the 605 from my cable box (Cox Motorola 3418), with HDMI out to the TV to upscale 480i (I will also run HDMI from the STB to the 605 for HD 1080i pass through). In summary --- Component and HDMI > 605 > HDMI out to display. 2 questions:

1) (Sorry... this really is a video question and not about the 605, but it applies since I have to do a workaround for upscaling.) Do I need the high definition component cables (with 5 connections I believe), or will the older component connection (with three connections) suffice to get me the upscaled video? I'd like to have all cables ready to plug and play as soon as I get my receiver and only have the component cables my cable box came with.

2) With the workaround I am planning on doing... will I be able to get audio via my HDMI connection from the cable box, but use the video from the component connection (for upscaled SD programming along with dolby 5.1)? Or do I have to run an optical connection from my STB to the 605 as well?
post #747 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

I picked up a replacement 605 this morning. I got it all hooked up and have not had a single instance of speaker popping. However, when I disconnected the 'defective' 605 this morning, I noted that one of my positive speaker wires had a strand touching the chassis. I'm not sure if this is what caused the problem but I am certain that this condition would certainly cause some sort of problem(s)

When I connected my 'new' 605, I neatly clipped all of my speaker wires and made triple sure that nothing was shorting out against the chassis. When I fired it up, I immediately recreated the condition that was causing the popping through the speakers. Not a single crackle. In fact, I am pretty impressed, as far as my ears are concerned, this unit sounds even better than the 674 that I returned to purchase the 605.

I wanted to let you all know of something that I stumbled upon that blew my mind. I have a 2.25 TB NAS that I have about 300 of my DVDs ripped to so far. I connected my media server to the 605 via component and had setup a component out back to my SXRD. I did not even think about the upconversion capabilities of the 605. By accident, I pressed the input change on my TVs remote. It switched to one of my HDMI inputs which just happens to be the input that the 605 is connected to. The PQ change was HUGE! I was playing SW 2 Attack of the Clones and I was FLOORED by the PQ. I checked my display to see what was being fed in and the display said 720P.

My next test is going to be connecing my HD-A2 via component, as well as HDMI, to see if SD DVDs show a marked improvement as well. If the improvement is anywhere near what I noted with my media server, I will be a happy camper for sure.

So far, I am pretty impressed with this unit. Any concerns that I had last night have dissipated, big time.

Best regards...Will

I am having the same problem you were-- with the popping. So you feel that you had a defective unit? I have tried everything to get mine to stop the popping to no avail
post #748 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofny View Post

I dont know if this has been posted and I missed it, but when you use the hidden menu and upconvert to 720p instead of auto, you appear to lose any built-in 16:9 ratio your source is sending in. Ive tested this with both a Wii sending in 480i/16:9 and a DVD player sending in at 480p/16:9. Both, according to the tv, upconvert to 720p but lose the widescreen ratio in the process. Is anyone else seeing this?
(Note: both come in component, out hdmi)

I have the same problem/issue. Any way around this?
Unless I set the hidden menu and set upconvert to 'Auto' the TV automatically changes the 16:9 image to a smaller image.
post #749 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

I am having the same problem you were-- with the popping. So you feel that you had a defective unit? I have tried everything to get mine to stop the popping to no avail

Neo,

I am pretty confident that the positive speaker cable shorting against the chassis caused the problem. Since time was of the essence, I had to make a fast exchange or I would have lost the opportunity to get the last 605 available. (anything other than immediate gratification is too slow for me!)

I am fairly certain that if I would have taken the time to clean up my install on the original 605, the problem would have been solved. The only item that leads me away from that assumption is that others have reported the popping sound.

Is the popping coming from all of your speakers, one at a time? Does it occur only using certain input and outputs?

If I were you, I would make absolutely certain that all of your connections are clean. If you haven't already done so, perhaps you should switch to banana plugs.

Let me know as I am sure others here are curious. As mrgribbles had stated a while ago, he has had similar situations arise every time he had exchanged an AVR. He had found that he also had a speaker wire short. I have had this happen to me at least twice. The only other alternative is unthinkable for those such as yourself and those that are awaiting delivery...That there is a sporadic build issue with the 605. Hopefully, this is not the case.

Please check your connections completely and get back with us.

Best regards and good luck...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #750 of 10258 Old 06-08-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Neo,

I am pretty confident that the positive speaker cable shorting against the chassis caused the problem. Since time was of the essence, I had to make a fast exchange or I would have lost the opportunity to get the last 605 available. (anything other than immediate gratification is too slow for me!)

I am fairly certain that if I would have taken the time to clean up my install on the original 605, the problem would have been solved. The only item that leads me away from that assumption is that others have reported the popping sound.

Is the popping coming from all of your speakers, one at a time? Does it occur only using certain input and outputs?

If I were you, I would make absolutely certain that all of your connections are clean. If you haven't already done so, perhaps you should switch to banana plugs.

Let me know as I am sure others here are curious. As mrgribbles had stated a while ago, he has had similar situations arise every time he had exchanged an AVR. He had found that he also had a speaker wire short. I have had this happen to me at least twice. The only other alternative is unthinkable for those such as yourself and those that are awaiting delivery...That there is a sporadic build issue with the 605. Hopefully, this is not the case.

Please check your connections completely and get back with us.

Best regards and good luck...Will

Wow, speedy response! I am headed downstairs to check out my connections now. The only input I can test with is my PS3 as I have no other device that will output 5.1 or 7.1 PCM. I have tried both IN1 and IN2 hdmi ports without any change. Also tried power cycling PS3, receiver, etc.

Not sure if it's happening one speaker at a time--but I only have this problem when 5.1 or 7.1 *PCM* is selected at PS3. It does DD+DTS bitstreaming just fine (in 5.1) which makes me doubt that it is a speaker connection issue. Either way, I sure hope it is, as I don't have the luxury of a quick exchange-- I don't believe anywhere local carries this receiver yet.

Will get back to you...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page