Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasan View Post

The best place for a fan is on top of the hottest part of the receiver where there are air (exhaust) vents. Be sure to set the fan to pull air OUT of the receiver. DO NOT BLOW AIR IN! (it can create eddy currents and actually "stall" air in the receiver where it should not be stagnant). The goal is simply to "enhance" or help existing natural air flow from the unit. The fact that it has air vents on top, follows the natural thermal design of the receiver, so all we're doing with a fan is drawing hot air out more quickly, and as a result more cool air in (at the proper place) as well.

Just lay the fan (with small small self-stick rubber feet on each corner of the fan to prevent scuffing and any rattle) on top of the receiver over the hottest spot. Mine was very easy to find on the 605...it is in the right rear quadrant, towards the middle a few inches.

I will have a 605 and a PS3 inside a wood entertainment console, and I am worried there might not be enough air circulation to keep them cool. So I am think of buying some of these cooling fans, but I've never used anything like them before. Do I just buy a couple of fans, plug them in, and just lay in down or stand it up next to the component I want to keep cool? Is it that simple? Does it need a holder or stand or connection of any kind? Finally, does it really work?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasan View Post

It shouldn't be shutting down unless you have very restricted air and there is a temp sensor. I find the 605 runs hotter than my Integra 7.1 did (and the Integra ran pretty warm). I decided I didn't like the heat level, so I put my laptop fan driven chill pad on the top of the 605 to exhaust air out the top. Now it runs barely warm to the touch.

I'm a big believer in fans, so don't take my use of them as gospel, but my 44 years with all sorts of electronics has taught me one thing: cooler is better (short of outright frigid), especially when looking at the long term reliability of a piece of electronic gear.

My 605 should be here this week and I thought I was prepared for the heat by installing a fan in the top back of my audio cabinet (which is wood fully enclosed with a glass front door) but it sounds like that might not be enough. What is the chill pad you are talking about? How is it run? You mention laptop, but that means it's connected to your laptop to run?
post #813 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 02:33 PM

After finally figuring out my shutdown issues (looks like the positive and negative wires on my center channel were kissing), I have the following to report on the Onkyo 605:

Pros:
Powerful, clean amplifier
Excellent feature set for the price
HDMI set up screen, Analog to HDMI video conversion
Very easy setup
Audyssey 2EQ Speaker Setup is awesome

Cons:
Average DAC's
Basic, but functional, remote control
Only 2.1 preouts

Overall, the receiver represents a very good value for the average consumer. However, to my ears the DAC's kinda suck... the overall sound when using them is a little thin and harsh compared to what I'm used too (HK 630). It's a little sad when a $150 DVD player (Oppo 970HD) has better DAC's

I may have been able to live with it, but the right rear analog 7.1 input is defective - no sound at all. Tried different cables and then swapped the rear left and right on my Oppo to rule out the player... still nothing out of the rear right...which worked fine on my HK 630 before its tragic untimely death.

So, the 605 is going back to Crutchfield... I now have to decide whether to bite the bullet and go with the 805 or wait until the new Denon's and Elite's are out.

Bummer
post #814 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parry View Post

This is great. But what about the Laptop cooling fans that we usually get? Are they any good?

I'm using one right now (a dual fan targus) and it works very well. The fans are not well designed, however. They are really "cheapo"....and be sure to put them with the correct side up (so they pull air out the top of the receiver)

I find the laptop coolers make mechanical noise after a while. The fan I listed is known for its long life and dead quiet operation.

...hasan, N0AN
post #815 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsee13 View Post

My 605 should be here this week and I thought I was prepared for the heat by installing a fan in the top back of my audio cabinet (which is wood fully enclosed with a glass front door) but it sounds like that might not be enough. What is the chill pad you are talking about? How is it run? You mention laptop, but that means it's connected to your laptop to run?

See my other recent posts for a "really good", "really quiet" fan. I included URLs and prices.

As far as laptop cooling fans:

I have a Targus, it plugs into the wall. Setting it upside down on top of the Onkyo works very well. It has dual fans, but they are cheaply made and tend to rattle over time. If you buy a chill pad that does not have its own power/wall wart, then they are run from USB ports, so you would have to have a USB port available near the Onkyo. MAKE SURE ANY FAN YOU PUT ON TOP OF THE ONKYO IS PULLING AIR OUT THE TOP, NOT BLOWING AIR IN!

As far as how hot my 605 runs...well it is out in the open on a 19" rack with excellent natural ventillation....and it's still way too hot for my taste. So I put the fan directly over the "hot spot" as mentioned in my other posts and now it runs nice and cool. No more heat worries.

...hasan, N0AN
post #816 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What else is out there with a similar feature and price range? Could someone please let me know their model numbers?
post #817 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 03:41 PM

How do the on screen programming menus look through HDMI? Do they display properly?
post #818 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizaref1 View Post

How do the on screen programming menus look through HDMI? Do they display properly?

Looks pre-historic!!! You can stretch it to 16:9 if you want...
post #819 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:

I will have a 605 and a PS3 inside a wood entertainment console, and I am worried there might not be enough air circulation to keep them cool. So I am think of buying some of these cooling fans, but I've never used anything like them before. Do I just buy a couple of fans, plug them in, and just lay in down or stand it up next to the component I want to keep cool? Is it that simple? Does it need a holder or stand or connection of any kind? Finally, does it really work?

Thanks

I assume you are talking about a completely closed in entertainment center with doors on the front and only a small hole in the back for cables. If thats the case I would be worried about heat building up inside the cabinet itself, which in turn raises the temperatures of the components themselves. If this is your situations I would buy 2 or 4 fans, cut out 1 hole at say the bottom right back corner and 1 at the top left back corner. Have the bottom hole for 1-2 intake fans for fresh cool air, and the hole at the top for 1-2 exhaust fans, or you could probably go without the intake fans and just make a hole so air can get into the entertainment center, otherwise exhaust fans wont work as well. The Onkyo would probably put out the most heat so positioning the exhaust fans right behind it would be best. The fans mentioned are nice because they chain together so you can link a bunch or just twist/solder some speaker wire in there and extend the power to fans in other areas.
post #820 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 08:11 PM

605 has no/zero issues with BR movies. The issue I've been having is the front l/r speakers and sub are the only one working whent it comes to games, and the movie trailers that are on the PS3. OSD reads multichannel.
post #821 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonMLR View Post

Overall, the receiver represents a very good value for the average consumer. However, to my ears the DAC's kinda suck... the overall sound when using them is a little thin and harsh compared to what I'm used too (HK 630). It's a little sad when a $150 DVD player (Oppo 970HD) has better DAC's

Did you try playing with the EQ or tone controls at all? I thought the same thing when I first hooked mine up. It sounded "thin" compared to my old Sony. But then I discovered this was just a result of the bass and treble settings not being the same as what I was used to. I'd be really surprised if the type of sound deficiency you describe could be the result of cheap DAC's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #822 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Nothing fancy, but functional and they do display properly via HDMI.

I don't look for menus to entertain me, just give me my choices.

...hasan, N0AN
post #823 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

gents what do i need to do to stop all the popping sounds? i am totally satisfied with everything else but the popping is killing me!
post #824 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just as I thought...I think I'll wait for H/K's next line of receivers.

If a receiver doesn't sound good at flat EQ, then it doesn't sound good at all.
post #825 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

I disagree completely with that. I happen to like a lot of bass in my music, which is how I had my old receiver set up. The Onkyo didn't sound the same out of the box as what I had gotten used to hearing for the past 5 years. Therefore it sounded "worse" to me upon first listen. Once I adjusted it a little, I thought it sounded better than the Sony.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #826 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manufanatic View Post

gents what do i need to do to stop all the popping sounds? i am totally satisfied with everything else but the popping is killing me!

What is the nature of the popping? Intermittent single pops like static pops?

My popping only happens under the following conditions:

HDMI LPCM source (PS3 in my case).
5.1 or more channels selected (2/2.1 no popping).
Receiver has been operating for around 40min since cold start, or has been on without playing anything.

IMO, it's a bad chip that errors with noise at warm operating temp and the remedy is repair/replacement.
post #827 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Did any one compare this to pioneer 1016 or denon 2307?
post #828 of 10258 Old 06-09-2007, 11:50 PM

I have the Toshiba HD-A2 with the 1.6 firmware.
I have the Onkyo TX-SR605.
They are connected together via HDMI.
I have the HD-A2 set to BITSTREAM for SPDIF (even though I am not using it)
I have the HD-A2 set to AUTO for HDMI

Here is what I am getting when I play Batman:Begins or any DD+ or TrueHD movie.

The HD-A2 displays HDMI-ADV-MULTI (oddly when I play the NiN concert DVD then it says 2.1 instead of MULTI. Even though it's supposed to be MUTLI)

Onkyo displays PCM and PLIIx Movie. (I can also cycle through the various DSP modes and even get the Onkyo to display the DTS logo when it's doing Neo)

I AM hearing audio from ALL 7.1 speakers I have connected to the Onkyo. It has been said here that the Onkyo 605 won't matrix a 5.1 to 7.1. It seems to be doing it here.

It is my understanding that the HD-A2 is sending a MUTLICHANNEL PCM signal to the Onkyo and that is why I am seeing PLIIx in use and not TrueHD or DD+. Basically this is the same thing as old school 5.1 analog cables connected to my old Onkyo. But instead of a pile of cables it's just the one HDMI.

My question to you all is, am I understanding all that is happening here as I wrote?

Is there hope that Toshiba will come out with a patch to at least allow for a bistream TrueHD or DD+ signal? And then once HD DVDs without the ADV flag come out we can enjoy the Onkyo's decoding?

Kevin "Q" Quattro
Lead Artist, Inhance Digital

post #829 of 10258 Old 06-10-2007, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelsmack View Post

[b]
Is there hope that Toshiba will come out with a patch to at least allow for a bistream TrueHD or DD+ signal? And then once HD DVDs without the ADV flag come out we can enjoy the Onkyo's decoding?

Let us hope...It was so much easier in the days of toslink and before high definition DVD. Did I just say that? Back in the day, even that was confusing, believe it or not. It would be so much easier to use bitstream. And until I got an HD DVD player, I had no further use for PCM. Now it is my friend, once again. At least, multi channel PCM is!

BTW, your Onkyo should be displaying "DVD MULTI CHANNEL" or something like that. I just woke up.

Good Morning...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #830 of 10258 Old 06-10-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:

BTW, your Onkyo should be displaying "DVD MULTI CHANNEL" or something like that. I just woke up.

It's not, not any where. So does this mean something is not set right? It only says PCM and HDMI as any clue as what signal it's getting.

Kevin "Q" Quattro
Lead Artist, Inhance Digital

post #831 of 10258 Old 06-10-2007, 03:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 163
I was able to audition the 605 and I walked away thinking man am I glad I didn't sell my Denon 887(same as 2307) to get the 605 (I considered it during all the buzz over the 605 before it was released) . Now granted the 605 was probably not matched to its ideal speakers but then how many systems are (I know my 887 sure is not) . The 605 sounded like it was struggling to push all 7 channels to respectable levels . It had a harsh sound that I honestly have not heard since owning a Sony receiver many years ago . It was not horrible sounding by any means but it just left me with an empty feeling and I was like 'meh' . It was fed from a BluRay player (via HDMI) so the audio was up to snuff . I don't want to bring ants to the picnic but I figured my impressions might help some that are considering dumping other receivers in order to give the 605 a spin . Honestly the main selling point for me was the built in DTS-HD decoding but after hearing that does not work with the PS3 (as of yet) I'm glad I didn't jump in blinded by bells n' whistles . Oh and no need to flame me if your opinion differs because we all have different ears and hear things slightly different , if it sounds good to you then by all means enjoy it .

--- Jason

My Twitch Game Stream [PS4/Xone/PC]...

post #832 of 10258 Old 06-10-2007, 04:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp View Post

I was able to audition the 605 and I walked away thinking man am I glad I didn't sell my Denon 887(same as 2307) to get the 605 (I considered it during all the buzz over the 605 before it was released) . Now granted the 605 was probably not matched to its ideal speakers but then how many systems are (I know my 887 sure is not) . The 605 sounded like it was struggling to push all 7 channels to respectable levels . It had a harsh sound that I honestly have not heard since owning a Sony receiver many years ago . It was not horrible sounding by any means but it just left me with an empty feeling and I was like 'meh' . It was fed from a BluRay player (via HDMI) so the audio was up to snuff . I don't want to bring ants to the picnic but I figured my impressions might help some that are considering dumping other receivers in order to give the 605 a spin . Honestly the main selling point for me was the built in DTS-HD decoding but after hearing that does not work with the PS3 (as of yet) I'm glad I didn't jump in blinded by bells n' whistles . Oh and no need to flame me if your opinion differs because we all have different ears and hear things slightly different , if it sounds good to you then by all means enjoy it .

--- Jason

Thanks Jason. I did return my Denon 887 when Onkyo announced their x05 AVRs. Like you I will do a test drive and decide which I like best.
post #833 of 10258 Old 06-10-2007, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

pixelsmack, I think you're putting out downmixed PCM 2.0. The display on the AVR should read something like "MCH PCM 5.1" if you are getting multi channel. If you are getting downmixed PCM then yes, you can DSP it to your hearts content.

Try setting your player to HDMI PCM not Auto or Downmixed PCM. Multi-channel should come accross.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #834 of 10258 Old 06-10-2007, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How long has it been happening. One day, many days. For some of us, the popping went away after day one. Much as I hate to say it, double check or even re-install the speaker wires. Just one strand of the copper out of whack and pop city.

post #835 of 10258 Old 06-10-2007, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

How long has it been happening. One day, many days. For some of us, the popping went away after day one. Much as I hate to say it, double check or even re-install the speaker wires. Just one strand of the copper out of whack and pop city.

2 days. Just to be clear your saying that if any of the copper is touching the chasis that popping is expected? Basically the copper must be terminated at the binding post with no excess?

If thats the fix that easy enough but its infuriating after several different receivers have been in my home theater that this one is the only one that has ever done that.

Thanks for the help Mr. gribbles
post #836 of 10258 Old 06-10-2007, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

A comment about the Tosh HD players and bitstream.

The XA2 et al will not pass the bitstream raw code at this time regardless of advanced content flags. I have a non advanced disk and it will not bitstream. In spite of the Toshiba manual which is a bit vague and maybe even mis-leading, the webpages for the A line players specifically state "support for PCM only over HDMI," in a disclaiming paragraph at the bottom of the page.

It has been posted by a few people that appear to have some level of insider scoop that Toshiba will patch the player, sometime in the fall to either allow bitstream content or to more fully decode in the player (read up to 7.1). Toshiba has been regularly updating these players so I personally believe we'll see some kind of fix or workaround. But as always, see it, then believe it. BTW, 24 fps is also promised around the same time frame.

post #837 of 10258 Old 06-10-2007, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post

What is the nature of the popping? Intermittent single pops like static pops?

My popping only happens under the following conditions:

HDMI LPCM source (PS3 in my case).
5.1 or more channels selected (2/2.1 no popping).
Receiver has been operating for around 40min since cold start, or has been on without playing anything.

IMO, it's a bad chip that errors with noise at warm operating temp and the remedy is repair/replacement.

Neo its exactly like that static popping. So you say the only fix is replace or repair?
post #838 of 10258 Old 06-10-2007, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

2 days. Just to be clear your saying that if any of the copper is touching the chasis that popping is expected? Basically the copper must be terminated at the binding post with no excess?

If thats the fix that easy enough but its infuriating after several different receivers have been in my home theater that this one is the only one that has ever done that.

Thanks for the help Mr. gribbles

I hate to put you through the trouble for nothing if thats not the case but quite a few had first day popping that went away. A couple posts up, one fellow was getting popping and static which he did determine was a shorting issue. So unless it does go away on its own, as mine did, speaker wiring and that one pesky strand is the next step.

This same phenom is also happening but to a lesser degree with the 805 model but I haven't read yet if their problems persist after a burn in period. Good luck.

post #839 of 10258 Old 06-10-2007, 05:10 AM

Quote:

Neo its exactly like that static popping. So you say the only fix is replace or repair?

Does it only happen with PCM source? Or does it happen with all types of sources? All the time or when the receiver gets warm (and not when you first turn it on)?
post #840 of 10258 Old 06-10-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

That's why they make so many different receivers...so we have a choice. I will say the test you propose, short of being in an anechoic chamber, means absolutely nothing. No receiiver can deliver to a listener a flat response in a "real" environment without adjustment..not possible. Worshipping a flat set of EQ adjustments is both short sighted, if not delusional.

Every environment, short of an anechoic chamber has reflections. Reflections add or subtract at the listener's sitting position, resulting in a non-flat environmental response. If flat EQ is your goal, then you must adjust for it using a spectrum analyzer, or similarly sophisticated equipment.

What most experienced people do without a spectrum analyzer is adjust to their personal listening preferences. If one can't find settings that please one's ear, that's the time to fault the receiver and move on. Arbitrarily refusing to adjust EQ to compensate for environmental variables is ....well...silly.

Now, if you meant setting the receiver's EQ so you DO get a flat response at the listening position, and THEN you don't like it, I agree...it's time for a different receiver. However, I didn't get that from the summary assertion quoted above. If that's what you "really" meant to say, please ignore my ravings.

I found my 605 to sound exquisite using the opera "The Barber of Seville", which is fairly demanding on the issues of transparency, clarity and transient response. I have other test tracks where vocal articulation is extraordinarily demanding and the 605 does a beautiful job on those tracks.

I must admit, I don't listen to head banging, butt thumping, voice screeching rock and roll. I have no idea how the 605 sounds with that as source material. I don't play games. I don't have an HD DVD player, nor am I interested in one.

I am very pleased with the audio quality and output power of the 605. It drives my MagnaPans to a loud but comfortable output level at a setting of 60 to 65. My Paradigm center channel and home brew (spectrum analyzer tuned) rear towers do a terrific job, along with a 200w powered subwoofer.

I am very pleased with the menu features and setup. I didn't need the manual for any of the setup, including hooking up an HDMI Sat Receiver, DVD (DVI) Upconverting Player, DVD/Hard Disk Recorder (Component/Optical), DVD/MP3 (Optical) player, an old S-VHS VCR, or my Sammy HL-R5667W HDTV.

The HDMI I/O switching and upconversion work perfectly for me. (720p)

The automatic DD 5.1 speaker adjustment (with Onkyo supplied microphone) is astoundingly good. I couldn't believe how accurate it was.

In short, it does everything I want and need it to do, and it does it very well. The reasonable price was a big plus.

It does run WAY TOO HOT for my taste. It runs warmer than any other piece of consumer electronic gear I currently or previously have owned over a 40 year period. A simple fan (see my other posts) takes care of that issue for me.

As always, it pays to understand one's needs before buying...and as far as the HD player issues go, I'd say two words: EARLY ADOPTER. Been there, done that.

If one's needs are for a moderately priced 5.1 system without HD DVD and playing games, then the 605 is a fine choice. The further you go up the audio/video requirement chain with game boxes, HD/DVD, 7.1 requirements, etc., the more one is vulnerable to early adopter problems, no matter what receiver one is contemplating. Do your homework! CAVEAT EMPTOR

...hasan, N0AN
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page