post #61 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post

But the 805 can output 7.1 from HD DVD? yes? Using PLiix?

Can you confirm that for me, please?

The 605 will. So its fair to assume the 805 will also. But it won't do it with TrueHd and DTS sources that are presently passed as multi PCM 5.1. If you output downmixed PCM over HDMI or output over the optical or digital connection then you can pretty much pick and choose the output format including rear surround options.

My concern was getting TrueHD and DTS MA @ 7.1 over HDMI and the Toshiba XA2 won't do it, at least as far as I can determine.

Btw the new Panny is quite a bit more reasonably priced and it's due out in a few weeks or so.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcapsley View Post

Does it have the cool blue light on the volume knob?

Nope

post #63 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

The 605 will. So its fair to assume the 805 will also. But it won't do it with TrueHd and DTS sources that are presently passed as multi PCM 5.1. If you output downmixed PCM over HDMI or output over the optical or digital connection then you can pretty much pick and choose the output format including rear surround options.

My concern was getting TrueHD and DTS MA @ 7.1 over HDMI and the Toshiba XA2 won't do it, at least as far as I can determine.

Btw the new Panny is quite a bit more reasonably priced and it's due out in a few weeks or so.

OK, thanks for the clarification.
So many terms PCM, DTS MA, DTS 5.1, TrueHD, PLii, and etc..etc.. makes this difficult to understand.. LOL
post #64 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 06:01 PM

Tag for even more info
post #65 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 06:24 PM

How is the on-screen display (OSD) from the 605?

While far from a deal-killer, Onkyo's in the past (like my old Onkyo DS939) have had a 1980's style black& white OSD interface. It's a bit out of place with today's HD equipment. I'm hoping they've finally updated it to something far cleaner - maybe even a bit of color and more than sub-VGA resolution.
post #66 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcor View Post

How is the on-screen display (OSD) from the 605?

While far from a deal-killer, Onkyo's in the past (like my old Onkyo DS939) have had a 1980's style black& white OSD interface. It's a bit out of place with today's HD equipment. I'm hoping they've finally updated it to something far cleaner - maybe even a bit of color and more than sub-VGA resolution.

The display is Black Background, White Letters, Blue Box around what is selected. It is nice that the HDMI will output this. All the other inputs do go out the HDMI, but Video from an old VCR says 480P to my Toshiba 62HM195.
post #67 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Is there any way to modify settings on the hidden Menu or it only show settings?
post #68 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I thought the Panasonic would only decode DTS-HD not DTS-HD MA.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz AV8801, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP
post #69 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 08:22 PM

Just got the 605 2 hours ago. The unit looks sharp. The sound (without much tweaking) is beautiful. I have playing The Fellowship of the Ring. The secret menu (Pressing and holding Aux and then pressing Power) gave me the option of 720p or auto. I have a Panny Plasma 42px60U and a Progressive scan 5 disc Sony DVD player (3-4 years old). Connected the Sony DVD player via component to the 605, and from the 605 to the Panny. On Resolution set to auto, it automatically sends the signal to the TV via HDMI as 480p (as my Panny display indicates. When I changed the resolution to 720p, the TV recognized the signal as 720P! The only problem is that the Screen switches to a 16:9 form with bars on top and bottom, and also on the sides. I have tried different settings, and nothing works. In addition, the picture itself shakes a little. I can not determine if this is happening due to the change in format, or that the receiver is not supposed to be doing this conversion. See photos.

BTW, What is VFmt 656 (8Bit) and 601 (24Bit)? They are also options in the secret menu!!!
LL
LL
LL
post #70 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Soooo.. the 605 does upscale after all. Good to know
post #71 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post

Soooo.. the 605 does upscale after all. Good to know

Must be an "unsupported" feature (after all, it's on a hidden menu). They probably originally planned to offer upscaling as a standard feature but decided against it either because of product positioning or because the quality of the scaling wasn't up to snuff.

E
post #72 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 10:09 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I guess what I am not understanding is, why is everyone so interested in the 605s ability to scale? After all, the Genesis chip is not known for its outstanding scaling capability and your display can probably perform equal to it. Onkyo does not even claim it is a feature they support from the 805 down. I would think they would advertise such a feature if it was any good.

If you are looking for "quality" scaling, then look at the 875/905.

The Cave: Sony VPL-VW600ES, 110" Elite Fixed, Oppo BDP-103D, Apple TV 3, Marantz AV8801, 3 x Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 , 4 x Emotiva XPA-1L, MartinLogan Motion 60XT, MartinLogan Motion 50XT, 4 x MartinLogan MotionFX, 2 x Rythmik FV15HP
post #73 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 10:16 PM

I spent some more time with the 605 and the picture adjusts itself if I change the aspect to H-Fill or Just. In Full, I get the bars all around. My biggest complaint with the previous HDMI up-conversion receivers that I tried before, is that they would degrade the picture going from Component to HDMI. This receiver did the same at the begining. But once I popped the AVIA dvd and recalibrated my TV keeping all the TV settings intact, and changing the picture settings in the receiver ( which is possible to navigate using the remote once the secret menu is up and running), the outcome was great. I am getting now 720p (according to the display/recall on the Panny plasma), the right aspect (16:9) and a great picture. I will be probably getting my HD player for Christmas. Until then, this will satisfy the kid in me.

I switched between component to components pass though the receiver to the Panny (480p) and component to HDMI (720p). The difference in somewhat noticeable. I am so used to see my player in 480p (softer picture) that with the up-scaling to 720p is hard for me to get used to.

Played a couple of scenes from the Fellowship of the Ring (which I know by heart) and the sound was perfect. Hard to say if this is an improvement from the 604 and 674 that have also gone through my rigorous testing.

Please let me know if you have any questions, but nothing that has to do with HD-DVD, PS3 or BD, as I don't own any yet.
post #74 of 10258 Old 05-31-2007, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arios39 View Post

I spent some more time with the 605 and the picture adjusts itself if I change the aspect to H-Fill or Just. In Full, I get the bars all around. My biggest complaint with the previous HDMI up-conversion receivers that I tried before, is that they would degrade the picture going from Component to HDMI. This receiver did the same at the begining. But once I popped the AVIA dvd and recalibrated my TV keeping all the TV settings intact, and changing the picture settings in the receiver ( which is possible to navigate using the remote once the secret menu is up and running), the outcome was great. I am getting now 720p (according to the display/recall on the Panny plasma), the right aspect (16:9) and a great picture. I will be probably getting my HD player for Christmas. Until then, this will satisfy the kid in me.

I switched between component to components pass though the receiver to the Panny (480p) and component to HDMI (720p). The difference in somewhat noticeable. I am so used to see my player in 480p (softer picture) that with the up-scaling to 720p is hard for me to get used to.

Played a couple of scenes from the Fellowship of the Ring (which I know by heart) and the sound was perfect. Hard to say if this is an improvement from the 604 and 674 that have also gone through my rigorous testing.

Please let me know if you have any questions, but nothing that has to do with HD-DVD, PS3 or BD, as I don't own any yet.

I hope I'm understanding you correctly; you're getting a 720p picture without the black bars on all sides now? So the LOTR is in 16:9 and doesn't looked stretched at all, like when you zoom in on the picture? I just need to get 720p out of my SD channels off my satellite. Every other source will be 1080p or 1080i from satellite HD and hooked to a 1080p native HDTV. I'm trying to save about $500 by getting the 805 and not having to wait until August to get the 875 with a Reon processor. Thanks for you help.
post #75 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey arios39 & stevesns69, thanks for the info.

When I change any settings in the 605 hidden menu, nothing happens. Eg: I turned contrast and brightness down to 1 from 50 and no PQ change. I set the res to 720p and my TV still says 480i when inputting from my cable box using HDMI. The best I can guess is that a) I've got the first bum unit, b) it's set for pass through only, c) this only works for DVD and not cable, which wouldn/t make sense I guess. If b), is there a setting somewhere I'm missing??

Thanks for the help.

post #76 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:

Hey arios39 & stevesns69, thanks for the info.

When I change any settings in the 605 hidden menu, nothing happens. Eg: I turned contrast and brightness down to 1 from 50 and no PQ change. I set the res to 720p and my TV still says 480i when inputting from my cable box using HDMI. The best I can guess is that a) I've got the first bum unit, b) it's set for pass through only, c) this only works for DVD and not cable, which wouldn/t make sense I guess. If b), is there a setting somewhere I'm missing??

Thanks for the help.

Mr Gribbles:
You are correct!
The up-conversion/scaling done when you switch the Resolution from Auto to 720p is for analog video only (component, s-video and composite). I have only tried with my DVD player using component. I have not tried anything with with S-video or composite. If you connect the your cable box to the 605 using HDMI, nothing will happen, as this receiver only does pass through for HDMI to HDMI connection. The picture settings changes I made are only good for the DVD player connected using component on the player and out to the TV using HDMI. My cable box is connected using HDMI and is does not show any changes in the picture when playing around with the picture settings of the 605.
post #77 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesns69 View Post

I hope I'm understanding you correctly; you're getting a 720p picture without the black bars on all sides now? So the LOTR is in 16:9 and doesn't looked stretched at all, like when you zoom in on the picture? I just need to get 720p out of my SD channels off my satellite. Every other source will be 1080p or 1080i from satellite HD and hooked to a 1080p native HDTV. I'm trying to save about $500 by getting the 805 and not having to wait until August to get the 875 with a Reon processor. Thanks for you help.

When playing a DVD movie in wide screen format (which will give you black bars on top and bottom), the receiver also gives me the bars on top and bottom. In this case, I set my Aspect ratio to Just, which brings the picture to what it is supposed to look like. I hope this helps.
post #78 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arios39 View Post

Mr Gribbles:
You are correct!
The up-conversion/scaling done when you switch the Resolution from Auto to 720p is for analog video only (component, s-video and composite). I have only tried with my DVD player using component. I have not tried anything with with S-video or composite. If you connect the your cable box to the 605 using HDMI, nothing will happen, as this receiver only does pass through for HDMI to HDMI connection. The picture settings changes I made are only good for the DVD player connected using component on the player and out to the TV using HDMI. My cable box is connected using HDMI and is does not show any changes in the picture when playing around with the picture settings of the 605.

Thanks for saving what little sanity I have left. What are your impressions of PQ using component and upconversion in the 605?? I can connect my Moto 3416 box via component so I'll give that a try and see if PQ is enhanced @ 480i in and 480p/720p out.

Thanks again.

post #79 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Does the 605 have an adjustable LFE boost setting? All of the threads on different receivers not correctly handling LFE have confused me so much I don't even know what the issue is. I know LFE tracks are recorded 10db down from the other tracks, is this suppossed to be compensated for in the receiver? and if so, why even record it lower in the first place??
Does Onkyo handle this properly?
post #80 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 06:43 AM

so from all these posts for new owners of this receiver, it doesnt seem all that better from the 604 that I have. From all these posts does anyone think its worth spending the money on this new receiver if i already have a 604. I have hd dvr, ps3, and hd-d2
post #81 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by price3 View Post

Does the 605 have an adjustable LFE boost setting? All of the threads on different receivers not correctly handling LFE have confused me so much I don't even know what the issue is. I know LFE tracks are recorded 10db down from the other tracks, is this suppossed to be compensated for in the receiver? and if so, why even record it lower in the first place??
Does Onkyo handle this properly?

I don't know if Onkyo handles it properly but there is a "SW Sens" setting in the 605 that allows you to DECREASE the level by up to 15 dB to match your DVD player. My other Onk has the same function and I ran it with very results at -5 dB.

Here's what the 605 manual states:

"Subwoofer Input Sensitivity
Some DVD players output the LFE channel from their
subwoofer output at 15 dB higher than normal. You can
change the subwoofer sensitivity to match your DVD
player. Note that this setting only affects signals connected
to the SUBWOOFER input jack of the multichannel
DVD input."

After I ran the Audessy EQ settings the SW Sens was reduced to -5 dB??

post #82 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:

Thanks for saving what little sanity I have left. What are your impressions of PQ using component and upconversion in the 605?? I can connect my Moto 3416 box via component so I'll give that a try and see if PQ is enhanced @ 480i in and 480p/720p out.

Thanks again.

It Looks fine after I did the AVIA calibration using the 605 picture adjustments. I like it a lot. This is the best picture I have gotten using a receiver to connect the DVD player using component and out to TV with HDMI. This will be the one to keep until I get my HD player (whichever that might be!!!)
post #83 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx31698 View Post

so from all these posts for new owners of this receiver, it doesnt seem all that better from the 604 that I have. From all these posts does anyone think its worth spending the money on this new receiver if i already have a 604. I have hd dvr, ps3, and hd-d2

I have one thing left to check and that is the up-conversion process via component from my cable STB. If there's a benefit on SD programming then I'll have a decision to make. There is no video processing via HDMI in.

If not, its going back, but not because Onk isn't providing the right product but because I get no benefit with my Tosh XA2 that will only output 5.1 TrueHD as PCM over HDMI. In order to take advantage of the new codecs the player would have to output the raw bitstream to it but the XA2 won't. I can use the analog out and get the same results. If the XA2 would output 7.1 then I'd keep it.

What I haven't heard yet is if anyone has tried a BD player like the Samsung BD-p1200 to see if it will output the raw bitstream to the 605. Since BD player is somewhere in the near future, this is of interest to me.

post #84 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dx31698 View Post

The only thing that this receiver will give you different is the HDMI 1.3 upgrade, which most people have already talked about in the Anticipation thread. The audio is not noticeably different that the other Onkyos I tried. My Panny plasma had HDMI 1.1, so the 1.3 won't be used for awhile. I will keep this receiver to enjoy DD-HD and DTS HD etc.. when I get my HD player. For the $399 that is being offered online, I think the switch is worth it!
post #85 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I have one thing left to check and that is the up-conversion process via component from my cable STB. If there's a benefit on SD programming then I'll have a decision to make. There is no video processing via HDMI in.

If not, its going back, but not because Onk isn't providing the right product but because I get no benefit with my Tosh XA2 that will only output 5.1 TrueHD as PCM over HDMI. In order to take advantage of the new codecs the player would have to output the raw bitstream to it but the XA2 won't. I can use the analog out and get the same results. If the XA2 would output 7.1 then I'd keep it.

What I haven't heard yet is if anyone has tried a BD player like the Samsung BD-p1200 to see if it will output the raw bitstream to the 605. Since BD player is somewhere in the near future, this is of interest to me.

Just curious, but I thought 99% of the movies available were only 5.1? If so, the XA2 will only pass along what is on the disk. It is the job of the AVR to perform the magic 5.1 to 7.1...correct?
If the 605 will not do that then a different AVR is the best solution, not getting rid of the XA2.
post #86 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Just curious, but I thought 99% of the movies available were only 5.1? If so, the XA2 will only pass along what is on the disk. It is the job of the AVR to perform the magic 5.1 to 7.1...correct?
If the 605 will not do that then a different AVR is the best solution, not getting rid of the XA2.

No. I think just the opposite. I picked up the 605 hoping that my initial assessment wasn't correct. While I don't disagree about the lack of titles in 7.1 (I do have one HD DVD in DTS MA 7.1 and it will not pass the 7.1 bitstream. It will pass it as 5.1 DTS) at this time all the XA2 will transport in TrueHD and DTS MA is 5.1. Apparently the XA2 is going to do the decoding, whether you want it to or not.

To get 7.1 lossless out of the XA2: it has to decode in 7.1 and pass it as PCM (it won't), it could pass the 7.1 bitstream (it won't), or it could decode and send it over analog but there are only 6 RCA channels available.

I'm not aware if 7.1 decoding is in the future firmware upgrade plans if so i might tough it out.

So its the player not the receiver. I'm looking at the new Panny BD10A that will decode and it has 7.1 analog so I don't need HDMI 1.3 and AVR decoding.

post #87 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 08:19 AM

Has anyone had any issues loading the 605 into a Harmony Remote? They tell me that they do not have the files for the 604 or 605. When I try to add the 605, it reverts to 603 on my Harmony 520.
post #88 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler62 View Post

Has anyone had any issues loading the 605 into a Harmony Remote? They tell me that they do not have the files for the 604 or 605. When I try to add the 605, it reverts to 603 on my Harmony 520.

No experience with the Harmony but the remote for my older Onk 504 works on the 605 (there are a couple of minor button changes) and the Sony programmable remote I have, set up for the 504, works just fine on the 605 with no changes to it. Is it 100%, I don't know yet?

post #89 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

does any 605 owners have bd movies with dts ma.... man.... this is frustrating

2011 SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONS- New York Giants!!!

Gamertag: GENERAL CUPKAKE
post #90 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 08:35 AM

I'm looking to buy this to run a Dish Network 622 and a sony dvd player, both input by HDMI and out by HDMI to a panny plasma (no 1080p). I will get a Blu-ray or HD-DVD later. What should make me buy this (605) instead of buying the 604 at a discounted price? Any other reasons that I dont know of?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page