Official Onkyo 605 Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No popping for me so far. I got mine from J & R.

"Guns? Guns are easy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Just noticed on the CC web site that the price of the 605 is now reduced to $459. Still none in stock locally.
post #903 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post

Just noticed on the CC web site that the price of the 605 is now reduced to $459. Still none in stock locally.

Something's going on for CC to drop this by $100 or so in the first couple of weeks of a new product launch. Could be returns (like mine) are scaring them or Onkyo. Good price at a B&M.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #904 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emissary52 View Post

hasan - Did you leave your 605 on for a night to burn it in? I have a question for you, since you seem to have better stuff than I do now. The Lip-Sync delay that I have noticed with my bedroom setup - I understand that to utilize that feature in new receivers, you must have 1.3 HDMI for everything in the chain. Is the Lip-Sync thing endemic with most HDTV setups?

Yes, you must have 1.3 hdmi (which my TV doesn't) for the lip sync in the 605 to work with it.

I NEVER turn my 605 or my HR20 Sat receiver off....EVER. I treated my Onkyo Integra 7.1 the same way.

Lip-sync itself is all over the map. I see almost none on SD channels from the satellite. I see occasional, but pretty rare lip-sync from OTA-HD broadcasts.

I see a LOT of lip-sync issues on ESPN-HD...it is NOTORIOUS, not just for me.

I see lip-sync hit and miss on satellite delivered HD programming (again, highly variable...some have it, some times, some don't, most of the time.)

If I really had a problem, such that I found it annoying, I'd buy a Felston processor , but so far, I've been able to live with it.

...hasan, N0AN
post #905 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have the 605 and am using banana plugs. No problems at all.
post #906 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickyardz View Post

I have the 605 and am using banana plugs. No problems at all.

Ditto, and I used them on my Integra 7.1 for years and no problems.

...hasan, N0AN
post #907 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasan View Post

Yes, you must have 1.3 hdmi (which my TV doesn't) for the lip sync in the 605 to work with it.

Lip-sync itself is all over the map. I see almost none on SD channels from the satellite. I see occasional, but pretty rare lip-sync from OTA-HD broadcasts.

I see lip-sync hit and miss on satellite delivered HD programming (again, highly variable...some have it, some times, some don't, most of the time.)

It is my understanding that auto lip-sync correction only works when both the A/V receiver and the display include that feature (and just because it's "HDMI 1.3" doesn't assure that the feature is included- it's optional to the manufacturer*), and it only works if the lip-sync problem is introduced by processing speed differences between the A/V receiver and the display. It will not correct lip-sync problems in the source.

On A/V receivers with manual lip-sync correction you can adjust as you please regardless of what it's connected to- but, yeah, it's manual.

(*Personally I haven't seen any display manufacturers advertise auto lip-sync correction for their 2007 HDMI 1.3 capable displays, but I could be wrong.)
post #908 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie View Post

It is my understanding that auto lip-sync correction only works when both the A/V receiver and the display include that feature (and just because it's "HDMI 1.3" doesn't assure that the feature is included- it's optional to the manufacturer*), and it only works if the lip-sync problem is introduced by processing speed differences between the A/V receiver and the display. It will not correct lip-sync problems in the source.

On A/V receivers with manual lip-sync correction you can adjust as you please regardless of what it's connected to- but, yeah, it's manual.

(*Personally I haven't seen any display manufacturers advertise auto lip-sync correction for their 2007 HDMI 1.3 capable displays, but I could be wrong.)

Since it is a manual adjustment, I don't think it makes any difference what the source of the delay is, as long as it is before what the 605 is going to do to it. When you can introduce digital delay in the 605, it may well make up for earlier delay issues. If it were automatic, this would not be the case.

Of course, since neither of us appear to have the right equipment, we won't know until someone with the "right stuff" tests it for us.

...hasan, N0AN
post #909 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

Something's going on for CC to drop this by $100 or so in the first couple of weeks of a new product launch. Could be returns (like mine) are scaring them or Onkyo. Good price at a B&M.

Yes, that is where I got mine. $459 was quite a good price, especially since its a B&M store. Once I saw that price I had to give it a try. Though I am having a really difficult time with the speaking popping problem. It occurs in all my connections (HDMI, Optical, and well as any analog inputs). I was really careful with my speaker connections, though it has been a little bit less that 24 hours since I bought it. I will give it another day or two to see if the popping works itself out.
post #910 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasan View Post

I NEVER turn my 605 or my HR20 Sat receiver off....EVER. I treated my Onkyo Integra 7.1 the same way.

If I really had a problem, such that I found it annoying, I'd buy a Felston processor , but so far, I've been able to live with it.

hasan - Thanks for the quick reply! On my Time-Warner cable, I've noticed it even on several SD channels. It's annoying to say the least.
I originally wanted to get the 605, but when I learned that the 905 had an HD tuner built-in, I set my sights higher. I listen to the radio alot during the day. I could save a lot of money by buying a Sangean HD tuner to add-in, but I found out that they are coming out with a new model that will trade the RCA outs for an HDMI out. This would mean stepping up to a 705 or 805 for the extra HDMI input. This also introduces another remote and more wires. So I figure I may as well bite the bullet and wait until August for the 905.

My Ideal System:

Onkyo 905
7 New speakers - still deciding what to get to replace my geriatric collection.
Sony Blu-Ray 300 or whatever the new model is called.
Fall-Release of new Sammy model or Sony XBR 4/5 LCD 50" or larger- whichever the AVSforum members find to be the most defect-free.

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on all this in Sept or Oct - I'll hate getting the credit card bill in Oct - but I expect I'll be so happy with my new toys, I won't care.
post #911 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelpie View Post

kelpie - I just wonder if the source transmission is the main culprit in the whole lip-sync thing. The other night i was watching Stargate SG-1 and the dialogue actually continued after the characters had stopped speaking. I know glitches happen but that was bad! I've also noticed that if you're watching a program, the longer the segment gets the more apparent the lip-sync error gets. I've noticed this on CBS HD as well as some SD material. Then a commercial pops up and everything is fine(Why!Why!). A new segment of the show starts and the lip sync returns after a short period. I guess until the broadcasters clean up their act, it will continue even if your receiver and display are compliant. Not Good! Off hand, I don't know which models have a variable lip-sync feature as opposed to some "automatic" correction feature or if it would help.

BTW - This occurs on my Sceptre GV32 which is connected directly to a SA8300HD by HDMI.
post #912 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I got my 605 (silver) on Friday from J&R. I had the popping sound at first and was very dissapointed as I returned a HK 247 for the same reason. On Saturday I watched another movie on the PS3 and only noticed it one time. On Sunday I didn't hear it at all. I use banana plugs so it's not just a stray wire issue.

Like someone mentioned I dislike that you can't rename the inputs. I also have a AX2 and would have liked the inputs to reflect HDDVD and Blue Ray and not the standard DVD and VCR/? that Onkyo provides. The same for radio stations.

Also I dislike that the reciever while searching for a signal makes a clicking noise. When I turned the PS3 off yesterday, the reciever must have clicked about four times. Some type of silent switcher would have been nice.

Less you think that I don't like this reciever, the above are the only complaints that I have. Otherwise, I like it very much

I have one question though. Without having to go into the menus every time, is there a way set this reciever and the AX2 and PS3 to play the Dolby Digital EX encoding on a standard DVD disc like the last trio of Star War movies? I was watching one of the Star Wars movies yesterday and set my PS3 to bitsream so that I could enjoy the rear back speakers but was wondering if I have to do this every time and then switch back to the PCM mode for HD movies.
post #913 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi jbug, do us a favor and post your popping results in the popping poll thread. Every input helps understand this phenom. Thanks.

You can set this up to accomplish what you want, I think. Run a digital connection to the 605 and assign it to any available input. CD for example. Also assign your video input choice also to CD and just switch back and forth with the AVR.

post #914 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi jbug, do us a favor and post your popping results in the popping poll thread. Every input helps understand this phenom. Thanks.

You can set this up to accomplish what you want, I think. Run a digital connection to the 605 and assign it to any available input. CD for example. Also assign your video input choice also to CD and just switch back and forth with the AVR.

that sounds like a great idea. My popping covers all inputs and almost always after 30 minutes of play. I have received my RA from 1call and i will be out the shipping charges back to thme to get this replaced. Would it be worth it to argue this point since in essence i am paying for shipping twice?

I will give it a day or two more but at this point i dont see this issue resolving.
post #915 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximum360 View Post

No popping for me so far. I got mine from J & R.

Are you using banana plugs?
post #916 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manufanatic View Post

that sounds like a great idea. My popping covers all inputs and almost always after 30 minutes of play. I have received my RA from 1call and i will be out the shipping charges back to thme to get this replaced. Would it be worth it to argue this point since in essence i am paying for shipping twice?

I will give it a day or two more but at this point i dont see this issue resolving.

I wasn't recommending the connection stuff for the popping problem. It was for another issue.

i hate to see you get stuck with the back & forth freight BS. Did you call onkyo. If anything its their problem and there should be an Onkyo repair center near you or if you do return it to them i think they pop for the freight.

I don't use banana plugs because even the 90 deg jobs stick out too far. I use a crimp on pin, similar to speaker connector pins but smaller. Work great, no loose strands. If I recollect, Radio Shack has something like it. Its a crimp, insulated connector with a straight solid pin coming out of it. Goes into the AVR the same way the wire would, through the binding post.

post #917 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 AM

The problem I am experiencing is a popping sound in my projector (Panasonic PT AX 100) whenever I switch channels and the Onkyo receiver upconverts the signal from my cable box (the connection from the cable box to the receiver is component). It takes the projector a couple of seconds to recognize and process the new signal while before, when the cable box was connected directly to the projector, this process was done immediatly and without any popping sound. Anybody has a suggestions to avoid this problem?
post #918 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Onkyo returns the call!!

Interesting brief call back from Onkyo Tech Support. Call was about a week overdue but it did happen. Rah rah.

Per the Tech; "Per Onkyo marketing it is a limitation of the Faroudja processor." We knew that, didn't we. A technical response, spun by marketing. Whodaguessed.

I asked about speaker popping and he was aware of no calls on the issue. Not one. Must not exist!!

post #919 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by federiko View Post

The problem I am experiencing is a popping sound in my projector (Panasonic PT AX 100) whenever I switch channels and the Onkyo receiver upconverts the signal from my cable box (the connection from the cable box to the receiver is component). It takes the projector a couple of seconds to recognize and process the new signal while before, when the cable box was connected directly to the projector, this process was done immediatly and without any popping sound. Anybody has a suggestions to avoid this problem?

I have a similiar problem as i have it hooked up to the pany 900u. I dont believe the sound i hear though is immenating in the projector but i will double check that. I am ok that it takes a second to recognize but if the poping is happening in the PJ then this receiver is out.

Thanks for posting this finding!
post #920 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wasn't recommending the connection stuff for the popping problem. It was for another issue.

i hate to see you get stuck with the back & forth freight BS. Did you call onkyo. If anything its their problem and there should be an Onkyo repair center near you or if you do return it to them i think they pop for the freight.

I don't use banana plugs because even the 90 deg jobs stick out too far. I use a crimp on pin, similar to speaker connector pins but smaller. Work great, no loose strands. If I recollect, Radio Shack has something like it. Its a crimp, insulated connector with a straight solid pin coming out of it. Goes into the AVR the same way the wire would, through the binding post.

sorry i must have misread i thought you were asking for a poll to be started about he popping problem. I will see about taking it to an Onkyo repair center locally i just dont want to be without it for 8 weeks like i was when my HK fried.

It looks like the repair center is the same place that did the HK. I will call onkyo if the issue persists.

Thanks for the advice
post #921 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Just curious, when you play an HD DVD movie in TrueHD, do you get "Mulichannel PCM" displayed, or just PCM? Are you getting sound out via 5.1?

Otherwise, I am glad to hear this as like you I have a BD player and an HD DVD player (A2).

I'm getting Multichannel PCM and you can't apply any of the listening modes (besides direct and multi ch.)
post #922 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelsmack View Post

So you can verify that with a HD-A2 and a 605 you CAN get MULTICHANNEL PCM to display and stay that way?

I have the Tosh HD-A2 connected via HDMI to my Onkyo 605 and I can verify that yes, I do get Multichannel PCM to display and stay that way.

In the HD-A2 audio setup menu I have:

Digital Out SPDIF -> PCM
Digital Out HDMI -> Auto
Dynamic Range Control -> Auto
Dialog Enhancement -> Off

The SPDIF setting does not affect anything.

I only have 1 HD-DVD at present (King Kong), so I can't check whether it is DVD-dependent.
post #923 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 09:52 AM

Hi All,

Can one of you fine people please give me some advice on the best way to hook up all my components.
I just hooked up the tv last Thursday and the HD-DVD on Saturday but this Onkyo has got me a bit intimidated plus my Son who was my hookup man now lives 5 hours away.

Here's what I got:

Onkyo 605 Receiver
Sony KDL-40V2500 TV (has 2 hdmi, 2 component, 1 pc, 1 s video, 1 composite)
Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD hdmi
HTPC with dvi
JVC HR-S5902U SVHS
JVC TD-W207 Cassette
JVC XL-F154 5 disc CD Player
Philips DVP642 DVD Player
XBox Media Center

Once I have the HTPC doing everything that the Xbox does now I'll probably take it out and move it to another room.
I'll probably do the same with the Philips DVD Player as I'll probably stream divx files thru the HTPC and so far the Toshiba has played all the burned discs I've tried since I got it Saturday.

Any help would be appreciated.
TIA,

Keith

edit:
I forgot I also have a Dish Network 622 HD-DVR Receiver
post #924 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caison View Post

I have heard that the sound quality is better on the Onkyos vs the Sonys, but I have also heard that the Sony 910 doesnt have component downscaling issues like the Onkyo 605. The 910 is supposed to pass component signals unaltered via HDMI.

I guess my main question is this. Do I need HDMI 1.3 since my tv (Sharp LC-52D62U) doesnt support deep color, and whatever BR or HD player I purchase in the future has on board Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD?

"The 910 is supposed to pass component signals unaltered via HDMI." >> True

As for the SQ of 605 vs 910, people are more than happy to give their opinion like "I am not familiar with the 910, but I purchased a mid-level Sony receiver in the late 90's and I only kept it for a short time in exchange for an Onkyo receiver. The Onkyo blew away the Sony with regards to sound quality." BTW, I'm not flaming the person who wrote this - he was trying to be helpful. My point is that SQ is a personal preference and very subjective. YOU need to decide whether YOU like the SQ of the 910 or the 605 better. Letting somebody else's opinion determine which way to go is a bad idea. You're going to spend serious $$ so do your own homework.

"Do I need HDMI 1.3 since my tv (Sharp LC-52D62U) doesnt support deep color, and whatever BR or HD player I purchase in the future has on board Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD?" >> No, as long as players continue to do the decoding.
post #925 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I asked about speaker popping and he was aware of no calls on the issue. Not one. Must not exist!!

Horse Hockey!

I was one of the first to buy a 605 and had the popping problem. I have a case number written down somewhere. I can't believe they said that. Wait a tic...Yes I can. Oh the levels tech support will stoop to.

Regards...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #926 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

Horse Hockey!

I was one of the first to buy a 605 and had the popping problem. I have a case number written down somewhere. I can't believe they said that. Wait a tic...Yes I can. Oh the levels tech support will stoop to.

Regards...Will

Horse Hockey!! Geeeez. That's a pretty strong statement. Did they ever return your calls? The funny, or not so funny thing, was that a few dozen posts back someone did get an email response that was just about word for word what the tech told me. So I guess its been thoroughly laundered and approved by corporate and now its OK to say. No wonder CC dropped their price by over $100 today on the 605.

post #927 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Horse Hockey!! Geeeez. That's a pretty strong statement. Did they ever return your calls? The funny, or not so funny thing, was that a few dozen posts back someone did get an email response that was just about word for word what the tech told me. So I guess its been thoroughly laundered and approved by corporate and now its OK to say. No wonder CC dropped their price by over $100 today on the 605.

And $110 price reduction on the 805 as well.
post #928 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12

My 605 should arrive tomorrow, $456 w/3years warranty..

If it does popping, am I damned?

Should I refuse delivery maybe?

So much for almost 2 months wait...

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
post #929 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

mrgribbles,

No, they have yet to call me back. I'm not holding my breath. Regards...Will

Yeah, if I would have said anything worse than horse hockey, I'm sure the "Central Scrutinizer" would have picked up on it. What? No Zappa fans out there???

This is the Central Scrutinizer. It is my job to enforce all of the laws that have not been passed yet.

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
post #930 of 10258 Old 06-11-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berringer View Post

I have the Tosh HD-A2 connected via HDMI to my Onkyo 605 and I can verify that yes, I do get Multichannel PCM to display and stay that way.

In the HD-A2 audio setup menu I have:

Digital Out SPDIF -> PCM
Digital Out HDMI -> Auto
Dynamic Range Control -> Auto
Dialog Enhancement -> Off

The SPDIF setting does not affect anything.

I only have 1 HD-DVD at present (King Kong), so I can't check whether it is DVD-dependent.

Thanks for the info. You too MrGrib. Well....CRAP. That must mean my A2 or 605 is busted then. Because with those above settings this is what is happening to me.

I insert the NiN concert DVD which has a wonderful TrueHD optimizer on it where it goes through all the channels.

All I am getting is L/C/R the LS and RS come through the front three!

Also, using your settings, my HD-A2 is displaying "2CH" and my 605 is still in PLIIx mode.

So something is busted yes? But what? Both? Should I take them back and try again?

Kevin "Q" Quattro
Lead Artist, Inhance Digital

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page