post #991 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by manufanatic View Post

Well another day and the popping continues. Does anyone know a good place to buy banana plugs? This is my last attempt before the call to onkyo is made.

RadioShack has plenty to chose from.

Good time to buy computers and computer parts: NEVER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisizer View Post

the manual errata in my box stated that popping noises will occur when playing hd-dvd and bluray's with HDMI audio. mine does it for those situations, and I guess it's going to continue. not a big deal- it's only a small 'thump' noise, nothing that'll fry your tweeters or anything . . . .

Thanks, I read that also and I can live with it to but would like to know why it's happening and why Onkyo couldn't put a muzzle on it.
post #993 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 11:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by manufanatic View Post

Well another day and the popping continues. Does anyone know a good place to buy banana plugs? This is my last attempt before the call to onkyo is made.

monoprice.com I got mine from there
post #994 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
+1 on monoprice
post #995 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 12:07 PM

Is there anyone that is just using the binding posts... seems like everyone is using some sort of alternative to that? Is it because it is too hard not to cross the wires, or is there an improvement in sound quality? Just wondering if I should hurry and get the banana plugs now, because I plan on setting this all up soon (receive 605 tomorrow... but will likely start setting everything up on Saturday).
post #996 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

I know the feeling. My bride, if she says it once its a hundred times, "I JUST WANT TO CHANGE A CHANNEL. THE TV SPEAKERS ARE OK WITH ME. NO, I CAN'T SEE A DIFFERENCE. WHO CARES WHO FAROUDJA IS"

I assume your LCD will accept a 2 channel analog in. Why not just run one from the Audio out. It should send out what ever you choose, when you choose it. I think?

I might try it. I was looking forward to reducing cable runs across the side of the living room to the LCD. I was hoping to get it down to 1 HDMI cable and my new flat speaker wire and maybe painting over it. The mess of component cables right now is yucky.

BTW: is the popping or clicking noises you folks are referring to occuring when you switch audio sources/formats, and not actually coming from the speakers? I get that all the time on my 601.

"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
post #997 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.cash View Post

Is this because of the XBox and Wii, or the Onkyo? In other words, would I run into to the same problem with a standard DVD player?

Sorry to ask a question about your... question.

Well, looks like no one is going to answer my question but I will try to answer yours.

Though the Xbox 360 can output games at 720p over component, it's only "allowed" to output DVDs at 480p due to AAC or CSS or whatever DRM that is. The Wii maxes out at 480p as well. Both should be capable of 16:9 output but it looks like they don't send a flag to the receiver to let it know that it's outputting 16:9. So the receiver keeps it in 4:3 which puts the output in a box on my 16:9 display. I'm thinking it may depend on your DVD player. If you get an upscaling DVD player, you shouldn't run into the issue. But with a standard DVD player, you'll probably have the same issues I'm having now.

And just to let you know, using the hidden menu to output at 720p will output the 480p video in a black box at 720p 16:9. If it didn't piss me off so much, it would actually be kind of humorous. It's like Onkyo's idea of upscaling is just to preserve the 480p and then add black pixels for the rest and call it a day.
post #998 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshigashi View Post

Is there anyone that is just using the binding posts... seems like everyone is using some sort of alternative to that? Is it because it is too hard not to cross the wires, or is there an improvement in sound quality? Just wondering if I should hurry and get the banana plugs now, because I plan on setting this all up soon (receive 605 tomorrow... but will likely start setting everything up on Saturday).

If you have the room in your stand - front to back - and another inch won't bother you than banana posts are V good. If you can't afford the extra distance you can use:

a)Nothing. Tightly twist the ends - make sure no wild strands afterwards
b)Strip the wire, twist tight - solder or tin the wire. Excellent if you're so inclined
c)Crimp on ring or spade connectors. V good - Make sure they will fit through the binding post opening.
d)Speaker pins. Made for speaker binding posts. Crimp onto wire and insert into the binding post opening.
e)Insulated pin connectors. my favorite. Similar to a speaker pin but next to nothing in cost and they work a bit better at the AVR. RShack I think has them.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #999 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 12:27 PM

Actually, now that I think about it more... the Wii and the 360 may be outputting anamorphic widescreen instead of true widescreen. Anamorphic is where a 16:9 video is output in a scrunched up 4:3 video. Then tv should be able to stretch that image out to 16:9 again. The receiver just probably doesn't know it and is still outputting the 4:3.

It's just so annoying because the receiver detects everything fine when using component instead of HDMI.
post #1000 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

i hooked it up, did the audyssey thing--sounds unbelievable. BUT, i got speakers popping left and right. shifts from speaker to speaker with no real pattern. has others had this go away? can this be damaging to speakers? love this new avr, but may have to return should the popping not stop. i have banana plugs hooked up as well (both to the avr and the speakers), so i don't believe the connections themselves have anything to do with the popping.
post #1001 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFoEd View Post

monoprice.com I got mine from there

Thanks ordered them today hopefully this will solve the dreaded popping problem.
post #1002 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I ordered my speaker cables with locking banana plugs from blue jeans cable. No problems at all.
post #1003 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Spoke to j&r and got them to do the free shipping for my pre-order. I also asked when it was going to ship and the customer service rep told me she will be talking to the buyer on thursday and should have a better idea then.
post #1004 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 05:13 PM

For anyone looking to pick up a 605, as of last night the Circuit City in Tigard, OR had a black one in a box sitting on the shelf. The CC online site said that the store didn't have any and didn't carry this product, but I went just out of curiosity. They don't have one on display, but the box was there next to a bunch of 604 boxes.

They had an 805 on display, but I didn't see any 805 boxes so that may be the only 805 that they have.

I was tempted to get it, but decided that I really want the better upscaling and component bandwidth of the 875.

-beans
post #1005 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 05:33 PM

I am in PDX, Oregon and I am very tempted to go get that 605...
post #1006 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisizer View Post

the manual errata in my box stated that popping noises will occur when playing hd-dvd and bluray's with HDMI audio. mine does it for those situations, and I guess it's going to continue. not a big deal- it's only a small 'thump' noise, nothing that'll fry your tweeters or anything . . . .

I want to know what another poster asked. Are you hearing this only when changing sources or starting up a movie? Because if a constant "popping" during a movie is going on that is not gonna fly with me. I'd really like to know because I can't actually test this yet since I do not yet own an HD or Blu ray player.
post #1007 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

Hi fganter,

I didn't get a lot of time last night to try out all that I wanted to do in checking various scenarios. I should be able to work on some things later on today.

If I recollect, We are trying to:

Run component in & out from the HD DVD player to the AVR to the TV.

Run HDMI into the AVR from the HD DVD for sound only. Yes??

Here's one thing I did do which parallels this to a degree.

From my Moto STB to the 605 I have component & HDMI (component is assigned to DVR, HDMI is assigned to CAB). I have component & HDMI to the TV.

I have a coax from the STB to the 605 (assigned to DVR).

I can change from upconverting or not by selecting either CAB or DVR.

This works fine, although it takes a few seconds to switch, and yes component and HDMI are available concurrently, or so it seems.

In digital unputs, I unassigned the coax to DVR and got no sound. I assigned the HDMI to DVR and still, no sound. Hmmmmmm, I expected to hear the sound over HDMI as I anticipated.

I think this is a partial step toward what we are trying to accomplish but the results to this point are not what I thought would happen.

I'll do more later and let you know. If you've gotten any further, please advise.

mrgribbles - You're the best! You gave me a great idea that fixes another problem I've noticed - HD DVDs are not as loud as standard DVDs.

Here's my workaround, based on your findings that HDMI and component broadcast concurrently:
- connect component, HDMI, and optical (or coax) from HD DVD player to AVR
- set one of the AVR inputs to DVD and a second to AUX
- configure the DVD settings on AVR to handle standard DVDs (use optical for sound and component for video)
- configure the AUX settings on the AVR to handle HD DVDs [technically to handle TrueHD audio] (use HDMI for sound and component for video)
- When I want to watch a standard DVD, I select DVD on the AVR. When I want to watch an HD DVD, I select AUX on the AVR.

This setup is possible because Onkyo allows multiple inputs to share the same connection (a limitation of some other models).

The great thing about this setup (besides the fact I can easily switch between watching HD DVDs and standard DVDs) is that I can have the sound level automatically increased for HD DVDs by using the Onkyo Intellivolume feature.

problem solved (or cluged, so to speak) until I get a TV with an HDMI input

Thanks, mrgribbles
post #1008 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 08:02 PM

OK. My 605 arrives tomorrow and I am totally new to such a fancy receiver. This is what I have:

-Time Warner Motorola DCT 6412 III box (it has an HDMI out, component out, RF/coax out and digital audio out) set at 1080i for HiDef stations
-Panasonic TH-50PX60 plasma TV (Has 2 HDMI inputs, 2 components inputs)
-Cinevision RV4000 (progressive scan DVD/VCR recorder with an coaxial optical out)
-Panasonic DMR-ES40V (progressive scan DVD/VCR recorder with digital audio out)

For speakers, I have
-Paradigm 5se (in front) - they say something about nominal 8 ohms min 5 ohms
-Boston Acoustics HD5v (center) - says 8 ohms
-Roger Sound Labs CG-8a (rear) - says 4 ohms (?)
-Parasound CRs-200 (mini speakers on rear wall) - can't read the back since they are wall mounted
-Athena AS-P300 (subwoofer)

SoI'm trying to figure out the best way to set this all up to get the best sound (and keep in mind that I can't/won't run the cable box directly to the Onkyo with HDMI because of the handshake problems so I have to connect HDMI direct to the HDTV). I'd love to be able to use the receiver for surround sound when I feel like it and to turn the receiver off and just use the TV speakers if I want the receiver to cool down for a bit but still be able to watch/hear my shows. I'd also like to obviously keep the best video quality and use 7.1 (if that even makes sense with the speakers I have). I know it's a tall order, but some of you seem so knowledgable with this that maybe it will be a fun challenge?
post #1009 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsee13 View Post

OK. My 605 arrives tomorrow and I am totally new to such a fancy receiver. This is what I have:

-Time Warner Motorola DCT 6412 III box (it has an HDMI out, component out, RF/coax out and digital audio out)
-Panasonic TH-50PX60 plasma TV (Has 2 HDMI inputs, 2 components inputs)
-Cinevision RV4000 (progressive scan DVD/VCR recorder with an coaxial optical out)
-Panasonic DMR-ES40V (progressive scan DVD/VCR recorder with digital audio out)

For speakers, I have
-Paradigm 5se (in front) - they say something about nominal 8 ohms min 5 ohms
-Boston Acoustics HD5v (center) - says 8 ohms
-Roger Sound Labs CG-8a (rear) - says 4 ohms (?)
-Parasound CRs-200 (mini speakers on rear wall) - can't read the back since they are wall mounted
-Athena AS-P300 (subwoofer)

SoI'm trying to figure out the best way to set this all up to get the best sound (and keep in mind that I can't/won't run the cable box directly to the Onkyo with HDMI because of the handshake problems so I have to connect HDMI direct to the HDTV). I'd love to be able to use the receiver for surround sound when I feel like it and to turn the receiver off and just use the TV speakers if I want the receiver to cool down for a bit but still be able to watch/hear my shows. I'd also like to obviously keep the best video quality and use 7.1 (if that even makes sense with the speakers I have). I know it's a tall order, but some of you seem so knowledgable with this that maybe it will be a fun challenge?

Why are you sure it will have handshake issues? You should at least try it. For the increase in sound it may even be worth it running component and having the high def channels in 720p (I'm assuming time warner broadcasts in 1080i) I can't find the model # right now, but I have a motorola digital cable box and it has no handshake issues with the receiver.
post #1010 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 08:50 PM

Is everybody who has a PS3 and connecting it with HDMI experiencing popping sounds or is this only on some receivers?
post #1011 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

OK, I am about to pull my hair out. Finally got the 605 tonight and hooked everything up. I have a moto 3416 cable box connected to the 605 via component, with the 605 connected to my TV via HDMI, and HDMI output set to "yes" in the 605 menu - yet all I get is a blue screen on my TV. I have messed with this for over an hour. With HDMI out set to no, I can get a picture via composite OR component. But no matter what I do I cannot get video via HDMI. I get sound perfectly fine from the optical output on the moto box. Also, my DVD player is upconverted fine from component to HDMI. Anybody got any ideas?
post #1012 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 09:32 PM

halo- This may sound like a dumb question, but did you by any chance forget to assign the HDMI inputs? In addition to turning the HDMI monitor setting to "yes", you need to go into input/output assign and select which device listings (cable/sat, vcr/dvr, etc) you want to tie your two HDMI inputted devices to, then select that device on the 605 to view (and listen).
post #1013 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 09:38 PM

I got my 605 today (a day early-woo hoo!), and, knock on wood, I have yet to encounter a single issue. I haven't heard any popping what so ever, the setup took me like 2 minutes, and the audyssey speaker setup was a breeze.

The only thing I am noticing thus far is that I really have to crank the volume to get a good comfortable sound level. Right now, I have it at 70, and it is nowhere near what could be considered very loud. Mind you, my previous receiver was an 8 year old Yamaha, but it didn't need to be turned up anywhere near as high to get an acceptable volume output. I understand that the volume control on the 605 allows for a more precise range, but I swear if I go down to even 50-55-ish, it seems like I can barely hear it. I have pretty good hearing, too, so it isn't my ears.
post #1014 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 09:45 PM

Help Help.....

I just received my 605 and I can't hook it my Tivo Series 2 (analog) correctly.

I want it to upconvert my Tivo, any help is greatly appreciated.

Also no popping at all.
post #1015 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Nothing sounds dumb at this point

I have owned many receivers in my day and never have I reached this level of frustration with any of them... I have all of the HDMI inputs set to "---" since I don't have anything coming into the receiver via HDMI. I have everything coming in via component. On the component video input I have "CBL/SAT" set to input 1, which is the component input that I have my moto connected to. I have DVD set to input 2 in the component menu, which the 605 outputs fine through the HDMI to my Panasonic plasma. For whatever reason it will not convert the moto's component signal to HDMI.
post #1016 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Shi+. I think I just realized what is going on. I think my moto box outputs 1080i, and that is the one scenario the 605 can't handle (1080 from component to HDMI). Ah well, I guess I'll have to buy another component cable, but I feel a little better for now. I'm too tired to mess with this any more tonight.
post #1017 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpony View Post

I got my 605 today (a day early-woo hoo!), and, knock on wood, I have yet to encounter a single issue. I haven't heard any popping what so ever, the setup took me like 2 minutes, and the audyssey speaker setup was a breeze.

The only thing I am noticing thus far is that I really have to crank the volume to get a good comfortable sound level. Right now, I have it at 70, and it is nowhere near what could be considered very loud. Mind you, my previous receiver was an 8 year old Yamaha, but it didn't need to be turned up anywhere near as high to get an acceptable volume output. I understand that the volume control on the 605 allows for a more precise range, but I swear if I go down to even 50-55-ish, it seems like I can barely hear it. I have pretty good hearing, too, so it isn't my ears.

I agree. With my 504 I'd usually listen at 40... but with the 605 I'm listening at about 60 to get the same volume.

XBL/PSN Name: Sheekamoo
post #1018 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarlp View Post

I agree. With my 504 I'd usually listen at 40... but with the 605 I'm listening at about 60 to get the same volume.

Same thing going on w/ my 805. Also, It seems like nothing happens turning the volume up after 5db. I'm thinking my fronts are too power demanding, but I'm no expert.
post #1019 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockokma View Post

Same thing going on w/ my 805. Also, It seems like nothing happens turning the volume up after 5db. I'm thinking my fronts are too power demanding, but I'm no expert.

If I increase the DB for the total volume (there's an option in there somewhere), I can clearly hear the difference... it's louder.

But I'm leaving it at 0db. It's actually kinda nice to get to choose between 100 now for the perfect sound. I haven't gone past 70 so I'm happy with the output. And the sound is great... I LOVE IT

XBL/PSN Name: Sheekamoo
post #1020 of 10257 Old 06-12-2007, 10:21 PM

Will somebody that can access their 605 easily please do me a favor. I need to get the exact depth of the unit from its frontmost (probably the volume knob) part to its rearmost part (probably a binding post). I need to make sure that this reciever is going to fit in my audio cabinet nicely. I dont trust the measurements that are listed on Onkyo's website. Thanks in advance.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page