hi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10232 of 10257 Old 06-09-2013, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This morning when we turned on our TV we only got a blue screen. ("Of death," says my 10-year-old.) A bit of investigation shows my Onkyo 605 is still outputting videos -- it's showing the onscreen menus from the receiver -- but it's not seeming to see the signal from the three devices I have going to the HDMI INs. Direct connecting any of the devices to the TV works fine.

I'm assuming this is the receiver's HDMI circuitry going awry, but just in case anyone's seen this and has any troubleshooting advice, I'd appreciate any suggestions. Audio still works fine, on screen menus work fine, but the signals on the devices on the HDMI ins are all showing light blue.
post #10233 of 10257 Old 06-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennya View Post

This morning when we turned on our TV we only got a blue screen. ("Of death," says my 10-year-old.) A bit of investigation shows my Onkyo 605 is still outputting videos -- it's showing the onscreen menus from the receiver -- but it's not seeming to see the signal from the three devices I have going to the HDMI INs. Direct connecting any of the devices to the TV works fine.

I'm assuming this is the receiver's HDMI circuitry going awry, but just in case anyone's seen this and has any troubleshooting advice, I'd appreciate any suggestions. Audio still works fine, on screen menus work fine, but the signals on the devices on the HDMI ins are all showing light blue.
How are you connecting three devices to the 605 - since it has only 2 HDMI inputs? If you're using an HDMI switch box, then remove the switch box from the system and try each device connected one at a time directly to your 605. There is a factory reset function for the 605; see pg 94 in the Troubleshooting section of the owners instruction manual Also, on the Onkyo website support forum, for many problems they often suggest unplugging the AVR for a least 10 minutes, then power it up again and see if it works OK. Good luck.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #10234 of 10257 Old 06-09-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

How are you connecting three devices to the 605 - since it has only 2 HDMI inputs?
Whoops, yeah, it's two devices. The other one is connected directly to the TV.

Tried the unplugging thing, no luck. Haven't done the reset because of the joy of having to go through all the setup again, but that's the next step.

Though I'm probably going to just go pick up a Pioneer and say goodbye to Onkyo at this point. I'd already been eying more modern receivers.

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips, much appreciated, Sgooter!
post #10235 of 10257 Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennya View Post

Whoops, yeah, it's two devices. The other one is connected directly to the TV.
Tried the unplugging thing, no luck. Haven't done the reset because of the joy of having to go through all the setup again, but that's the next step.
Though I'm probably going to just go pick up a Pioneer and say goodbye to Onkyo at this point. I'd already been eying more modern receivers!
Yep, I understand. I just replaced my 605 with a TX-NR717 - superb features. I also gave a lot of thought toward the Pioneer Elite series AVRs. Good Luck.

post #10236 of 10257 Old 09-07-2013, 06:26 AM

Liked: 10
Hi guys, I have a question. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had this problem. But on my 605 my hdmi output seemed to crap the bed on me. It works like once in a while but most of the time i just get a "no signal found" message on my TV. I've been browsing google and youtube, and found that it seems to be the capasitor on the HDMI board inside the receiver. But, all the videos I find are for the 606 model. Im curious if it is the same method of fixing it yourself. Thanks guys.
post #10237 of 10257 Old 09-08-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
My HDMI output seems to have a short in it. It took about 45 minutes to get everything "right" so that it works. If I bump something, it will lose connection...I will probably lose it....and get a new one smile.gif It is 7+ years old, so I'm looking for an excuse.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #10238 of 10257 Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdanslegs View Post

Hi guys, I have a question. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has had this problem. But on my 605 my hdmi output seemed to crap the bed on me. It works like once in a while but most of the time i just get a "no signal found" message on my TV. I've been browsing google and youtube, and found that it seems to be the capasitor on the HDMI board inside the receiver. But, all the videos I find are for the 606 model. Im curious if it is the same method of fixing it yourself. Thanks guys.

Maybe you've already done this, but make sure it isn't a cable problem and try another HDMI source direct to your TV to make sure it's the receiver.

Reynolds:"Not much faith in plan A?"
O'Neill:"Since when has plan A ever worked?"

Stargate SG-1, episode 143, "Evolution"

post #10239 of 10257 Old 10-15-2013, 02:49 PM

Just curious, I've had my Onkyo 605 for quite a few years now and it's still going strong. Any way of checking how many hours it has been used?
post #10240 of 10257 Old 10-15-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haste View Post

Just curious, I've had my Onkyo 605 for quite a few years now and it's still going strong. Any way of checking how many hours it has been used?

Incredibly doubtful, as that would require a clock. There's no reason that I'm aware of for the 605 to have included one.
post #10241 of 10257 Old 12-31-2013, 04:30 PM

So my 605 decided to throw its own fireworks show. Tunred on the receiver, snap crackle pop spark and then smoke from the right side of the receiver if you're facing it. Time for a new one or repairable? Capacitor?
post #10242 of 10257 Old 01-01-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex S. View Post

So my 605 decided to throw its own fireworks show. Turned on the receiver, snap crackle pop spark and then smoke from the right side of the receiver if you're facing it. Time for a new one or repairable? Capacitor?

Take off the cover (two phillips screws on each side and two on back along top edge). Common failures should be vented electrolytic capacitor (black cans with aluminum top) or blown transistors (black rectangular parts on the heat sinks or with metal tabs). Since you had sparks & smoke, look for split tops on the capacitors or hole in transistors. There should be burn damage or black/gray residue near the failure. Shoot a picture of damage you see and post if you don't understand what you're looking at. Don't get your hopes up though. Repair would probably be $100 per hour and a couple hours of work is probably more than the receiver is worth now.

post #10243 of 10257 Old 01-02-2014, 03:58 AM

Thanks for the reply, I didn't see anything when i took the cover off but I didn't remove any of the boards either. I have a friend that works on electronics and said he would take a look. But I'm sure it's probably time for e new receiver.
post #10244 of 10257 Old 01-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Hello.

Been running my 605 strong in all the years since it has been on the market and haven't had any hiccups at all -- it is still running my 5.1 setup flawlessly. I just had a question about Audyssey implementation based on something I read earlier in this thread -- while right now I'm not running the 2EQ system and have the receiver calibrated manually, I came across information that actually suggests Audyssey isn't available when bitstreamed TrueHD and Master Audio signals are present...is this true? Are the Audyssey settings/parameters done during the auto setup ignored when high resolution signals are bitstreamed? So the only audio signals that actually "see" Audyssey treatment are multichannel PCM and the lossy Dolby and DTS variants?

I ask incase I want to go back and give 2EQ another shot at some time...

post #10245 of 10257 Old 01-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

..I read earlier in this thread -- while right now I'm not running the 2EQ system and have the receiver calibrated manually, I came across information that actually suggests Audyssey isn't available when bitstreamed TrueHD and Master Audio signals are present...is this true? Are the Audyssey settings/parameters done during the auto setup ignored when high resolution signals are bitstreamed? So the only audio signals that actually "see" Audyssey treatment are multichannel PCM and the lossy Dolby and DTS variants?...
Well, you certainly got my attention. How about citing the actual post you read in this thread about these possible shortcomings of Audyssey; either link it or cite the post number. I ran a search for the post but didn't find it. Thanks.

post #10246 of 10257 Old 01-06-2014, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

I assure you I was not looking to garner any "attention" with my post, nor come across as if I was trying to troll on the subject...I only asked because I DO still own a 605, which is going strong, and DID read comments about this here...now, I am going to have to take some time to dig into the thread and see where I noted it...

post #10247 of 10257 Old 01-06-2014, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

I am still attempting to find where I read this information in THIS forum and in THIS thread, but I did come across this on the UK variant regarding this very topic, which I have read before as well:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/605-no-audyssey-with-dts-hd-ma-or-truehd.777759/

post #10248 of 10257 Old 01-06-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

OKAY, FOUND IT!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/854964/official-onkyo-605-owners-thread/9930#post_17054256

Specifically -- look at posts 9950 and 9951...

post #10249 of 10257 Old 01-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone with any insight about this 605/Audyssey issue?

post #10250 of 10257 Old 01-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

OKAY, FOUND IT!
http://www.avsforum.com/t/854964/official-onkyo-605-owners-thread/9930#post_17054256
Specifically -- look at posts 9950 and 9951...
Thanks for finding these interesting posts, and I was certainly not implying that you were trolling. I simply had never heard of this strange issue with the 605. I had the 605 for the past 6 yrs and used it daily; often playing Blu-ray movies for which I've always had the BD player bitstreaming to the 605. I always noticed the True HD or the Master Audio lights on the 605's display, but I never looked for the Audyssey symbol. Just sold the 605 a few weeks ago. What I can tell you is that my HT room is 5.1, and the best thing about the Blu-ray movies has been the amazing quality and crisp clarity of the HD audio. Later tonight, I'll check closely to see what's being displayed on my new 717.
...Later: FWIW, the Audyssey light is displayed on the 717 when it is decoding the True HD or Master Audio codecs. I can't think of any reason why the 605 might be different in this regard.

post #10251 of 10257 Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

Thanks for finding these interesting posts, and I was certainly not implying that you were trolling. I simply had never heard of this strange issue with the 605. I had the 605 for the past 6 yrs and used it daily; often playing Blu-ray movies for which I've always had the BD player bitstreaming to the 605. I always noticed the True HD or the Master Audio lights on the 605's display, but I never looked for the Audyssey symbol. Just sold the 605 a few weeks ago. What I can tell you is that my HT room is 5.1, and the best thing about the Blu-ray movies has been the amazing quality and crisp clarity of the HD audio. Later tonight, I'll check closely to see what's being displayed on my new 717.
...Later: FWIW, the Audyssey light is displayed on the 717 when the it is decoding the True HD or Master Audio codecs. I can't think of any reason why the 605 might be different in this regard.

No worries, Sgoot; like you, I used -- and still do -- my 605 DAILY, watching a few Blu-rays or DVDs per night. I never really stuck with Audyssey, instead relying on my own settings and leaving the EQ off, but when I read these posts that I linked, it really got me thinking about it...

Can anyone confirm or deny what we're discussing here (Sgoot and I) regarding the 605 and Audyssey NOT being implemented on bitstreamed high resolution signals?

post #10252 of 10257 Old 01-30-2014, 08:40 PM

So I've recently just cut the cord with cable, and now just have my coax cable going directly into my TV instead of through my set-top box which went through the receiver to TV.  Does anyone know how I can get my TV audio to play through the Onkyo 605 receiver (in the best audio format possible)?  I know, this sounds like a silly and probably easily solved question, but I would greatly appreciate any help.

Not sure it matters any, but I have a PS3, WD Live TV, and Chromecast going to the HDMI inputs, and the HDMI out to my TV's HDMI input.  TV is a Sharp Aquos (LC-46D62U).

Thanks in advance!!!

post #10253 of 10257 Old 01-30-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peckle View Post

So I've recently just cut the cord with cable, and now just have my coax cable going directly into my TV instead of through my set-top box which went through the receiver to TV.  Does anyone know how I can get my TV audio to play through the Onkyo 605 receiver (in the best audio format possible)?  I know, this sounds like a silly and probably easily solved question, but I would greatly appreciate any help.

Not sure it matters any, but I have a PS3, WD Live TV, and Chromecast going to the HDMI inputs, and the HDMI out to my TV's HDMI input.  TV is a Sharp Aquos (LC-46D62U).

Thanks in advance!!!
Looks like the best option would be run an optical cable from TV (right next to antenna input) to the receiver. You'll have to go into setup on the receiver, select In/Out Assign then Digital Input, and assuming you are using the Game/TV selector, set that to the optical input you plugged the cable into. On your TV you'll have to go into the menu and run digital audio setup to make sure TV outputs Dolby Digital. See page 28 of your manual. If you don't have manual, you can get a copy here:
http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupport/SharpCareCenter/downloadfiles.aspx?modelid={83730C51-794B-489E-9933-8E9CBF40B1B1}
The only other option would be stereo only from the audio outputs on the TV at bottom left of all the RCA jacks.
peckle likes this.

post #10254 of 10257 Old 01-31-2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repair4man View Post

Looks like the best option would be run an optical cable from TV (right next to antenna input) to the receiver. You'll have to go into setup on the receiver, select In/Out Assign then Digital Input, and assuming you are using the Game/TV selector, set that to the optical input you plugged the cable into. On your TV you'll have to go into the menu and run digital audio setup to make sure TV outputs Dolby Digital. See page 28 of your manual. If you don't have manual, you can get a copy here:
http://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSupport/SharpCareCenter/downloadfiles.aspx?modelid={83730C51-794B-489E-9933-8E9CBF40B1B1}
The only other option would be stereo only from the audio outputs on the TV at bottom left of all the RCA jacks.

Thanks so much - makes perfect sense.  I will try it once I get home.

Again, many thanks!!!

post #10255 of 10257 Old 02-07-2014, 12:39 PM

How's it going guys, ive had my Onkyo 605 since they first came out still running strong, but after all these years im wondering if newer AVR would be an improvement especially in the audio department. I have zero complaints about the Onkyo but i have a ps4 chormecast and Sony blu ray player and Directv fighting for those two hdmi slots. Only real reason id upgrade so i wont have to keep unplugging and plugin in for those devices to work.

I was looking at the sony 840 which seems to get great reviews with enough hdmi inputs for my setup, also seems to get praise for good audio quality. What you guys think will i be pleased with a newer avr and hear a difference in sound quality?
post #10256 of 10257 Old 02-10-2014, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticustrd View Post

How's it going guys, ive had my Onkyo 605 since they first came out still running strong, but after all these years im wondering if newer AVR would be an improvement especially in the audio department. I have zero complaints about the Onkyo but i have a ps4 chormecast and Sony blu ray player and Directv fighting for those two hdmi slots. Only real reason id upgrade so i wont have to keep unplugging and plugin in for those devices to work.

I was looking at the sony 840 which seems to get great reviews with enough hdmi inputs for my setup, also seems to get praise for good audio quality. What you guys think will i be pleased with a newer avr and hear a difference in sound quality?
I don't believe you'll hear any better audio from a new AVR than your 605. I've been using an Onkyo 717 for about 9 months and it has more bells and whistles, but to my ears the audio is the same excellent quality on both Onkyo AVRs. When I had the 605, I used a 5x1 HDMI switch box (model #8463) from Monoprice, and it worked great - all for around $30 + S/H.

post #10257 of 10257 Old 02-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Any further input about the 605 not implementing Audyssey with the high resolution formats?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page