Official Onkyo 605 Owners Thread - Page 344 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #10291 of 10301 Old 11-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Member
 
devanee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
volume and calibration settings using audyssey

I wanted to get fellow owners opinions about their 605 settings.

I recently decided to upgrade to a second sub and re-ran audyssey. I getting to know a bit more about our avr and come to find out it is only 2EQ which some have advocated against.

in addition, I notice that I can never get my spl meter to hit 75dB as is recommended when calibrating. This is with avr sub volume at 0 as is recommended initially. I am needing to set the gain for both subs at about 3/4 of maximum and still only get around 65dB.

Sounds from audyssey are quite high when played. Audyssey usually will set fronts/center around 0 to -3dB.

I was wondering what volume level others have their 605 set at? I heard that it does not matter when running audyssey but what about afterwards?

Hope this is not too confusing. I will be running audyssey again today now that both subs are calibrated to 0dB.

Last edited by devanee; 11-03-2015 at 06:56 PM.
devanee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #10292 of 10301 Old 11-03-2015, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by devanee View Post
I wanted to get fellow owners opinions about their 605 settings.

I recently decided to upgrade to a second sub and re-ran audyssey. I getting to know a bit more about our avr and come to find out it is only 2EQ which some have advocated against.

in addition, I notice that I can never get my spl meter to hit 75dB as is recommended when calibrating. This is with avr sub volume at 0 as is recommended initially. I am needed to set the gain for both subs at about 3/4 of maximum and only get around 65dB.

Sounds from audyssey are quite high when played. Audyssey usually will set fronts/center around 0 to -3dB.

I was wondering what volume level others have their 605 set at? I heard that it does not matter when running audyssey but what about afterwards?

Hope this is not too confusing. I will be running audyssey again today not that both subs are calibrated to 0dB.
It is SO interesting that you brought this subject up, dev, because I was going to ask similar things of other 605 owners -- and did a ton of Googling on the subject too (there is a plethora of information out there regarding Onkyo and "low volume"; all you have to do is get into a search engine and enter these terms)...

Let me discuss, now, some of these areas with you being that you posted about it...

First -- I am not set up via Audyssey/auto routine via the mic, and the following is the way my 605 is adjusted with regard to calibration values:

Front Left: +6dB
Center: +8dB
Front Right: +6dB
Surround Right: +6dB
Surround Left: +3dB (I sit a bit closer to that in-ceiling left surround speaker)
Sub: +2dB


In MY room, these values have everything balanced in terms of channel separation from the sweet spot.

Also -- under "Source Setup," I have "IntelliVolume" set to "+10dB" for my "DVD" input (which my Blu-ray player is connected to via HDMI).

Now -- most interesting about what you stated was the comment regarding Audyssey setting channels so that overall output seems "high" or "hot," even though the system seems to set your fronts and center around the -3dB to 0dB mark. I say this is "most interesting" because -- and this is going to go into what you asked regarding volume levels -- even with my channel calibrations in the "+dB" (most hot) range, there are not too many times I feel my system is outputting "too loud" of a soundstage; perhaps we have radically different-sized rooms, but...

Okay, so that gets me to your question about 605 volume -- even with these "jacked up" calibration and preamp leveling (IntelliVolume system) settings on my AVR, I STILL need to crank most Blu-rays and DVDs into the 40 to 50 range on the volume display. Some discs, such as the Avengers: Age of Ultron Blu-ray which was mastered poorly, need to be cranked significantly beyond 50; just this Halloween night, to give you an example, I had to crank the John Carpenter's Halloween THX DVD and its Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack up to around 52 for my wife and I to be able to make out dialogue, and even she was like "Why do you have to make it so loud in order for us to HEAR it?" And I was annoyed by it as well...

In general -- unless a DVD or Blu-ray has been mastered VERY hot, such as is the case with the Dolby TrueHD mix on the 30 Days of Night BD or the DTS track on the War of the Worlds DVD -- I never run my Onkyo in the lower portion of the volume range (i.e. 30-35 or so) as it seems way too damn quiet. And, as I said, this is WITH running high speaker calibration numbers as well as increased preamp input leveling via Onkyo's IntelliVolume...

What are the kinds of volume numbers you're seeing on your 605? Perhaps we can compare that way (a lot of this has to do with the efficiency of the speakers you're driving with an AVR or amp)...

5.1: ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 11-03-2015 at 05:01 PM.
IntelliVolume is online now  
post #10293 of 10301 Old 11-03-2015, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by devanee View Post
Nice maybe there are a few spookies running around. Check to make sure there is no beer missing!!

Dev,


I actually brought it up as a quasi-serious issue; this had never happened before, and I found it beyond strange that the unit would have turned itself on and gone through the calibration menu on its own...


Then again, I also recently experienced a strange occurrence with my Oppo Blu-ray player in which the deck decided to pause completely on its own when viewing Avengers: Age of Ultron as if someone pressed the pause button...and then went back to playing.


Perhaps an exorcist is required, after all; I will have to get some references for a good one...

5.1: ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower

Last edited by IntelliVolume; 11-04-2015 at 06:13 PM.
IntelliVolume is online now  
post #10294 of 10301 Old 11-04-2015, 12:12 AM
Member
 
devanee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
It is SO interesting that you brought this subject up, dev, because I was going to ask similar things of other 605 owners -- and did a ton of Googling on the subject too (there is a plethora of information out there regarding Onkyo and "low volume"; all you have to do is get into a search engine and enter these terms)...

Let me discuss, now, some of these areas with you being that you posted about it...

First -- I am not set up via Audyssey/auto routine via the mic, and the following is the way my 605 is adjusted with regard to calibration values:

Front Left: +6dB
Center: +8dB
Front Right: +6dB
Surround Right: +6dB
Surround Left: +3dB (I sit a bit closer to that in-ceiling left surround speaker)
Sub: +2dB


In MY room, these values have everything balanced in terms of channel separation from the sweet spot.

Also -- under "Source Setup," I have "IntelliVolume" set to "+10dB" for my "DVD" input (which my Blu-ray player is connected to via HDMI).

Now -- most interesting about what you stated was the comment regarding Audyssey setting channels so that overall output seems "high" or "hot," even though the system seems to set your fronts and center around the -3dB to 0dB mark. I say this is "most interesting" because -- and this is going to go into what you asked regarding volume levels -- even with my channel calibrations in the "+dB" (most hot) range, there are not too many times I feel my system is outputting "too loud" of a soundstage; perhaps we have radically different-sized rooms, but...

Okay, so that gets me to your question about 605 volume -- even with these "jacked up" calibration and preamp leveling (IntelliVolume system) settings on my AVR, I STILL need to crank most Blu-rays and DVDs into the 40 to 50 range on the volume display. Some discs, such as the Avengers: Age of Ultron Blu-ray which was mastered poorly, need to be cranked significantly beyond 50; just this Halloween night, to give you an example, I had to crank the John Carpenter's Halloween THX DVD and its Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack up to around 52 for my wife and I to be able to make out dialogue, and even she was like "Why do you have to make it so loud in order for us to HEAR it?" And I was annoyed by it as well...

In general -- unless a DVD or Blu-ray has been mastered VERY hot, such as is the case with the Dolby TrueHD mix on the 30 Days of Night BD or the DTS track on the War of the Worlds DVD -- I never run my Onkyo in the lower portion of the volume range (i.e. 30-35 or so) as it seems way too damn quiet. And, as I said, this is WITH running high speaker calibration numbers as well as increased preamp input leveling via Onkyo's IntelliVolume...

What are the kinds of volume numbers you're seeing on your 605? Perhaps we can compare that way (a lot of this has to do with the efficiency of the speakers you're driving with an AVR or amp)...
Interesting topic volume. I knew that I was not the only one experiencing issues with the 605. I just re ran audyssey and I have fronts at 0 and -2 with center +1. surrounds (in ceiling) are +4 for right and +7 for left. Sub was set at -11dB?
I am having the same issues with volume control as well.
I have energy take twr/fps up in front
devanee is offline  
post #10295 of 10301 Old 11-04-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by devanee View Post
Interesting topic volume. I knew that I was not the only one experiencing issues with the 605. I just re ran audyssey and I have fronts at 0 and -2 with center +1. surrounds (in ceiling) are +4 for right and +7 for left. Sub was set at -11dB?
I am having the same issues with volume control as well.
I have energy take twr/fps up in front

Can you do me a favor -- just for ****s and giggles to see what happens -- plug these values into your 605's calibration menu:


Front Left: +6dB (IF both your front mains are EQUIDISTANT from your listening position; in other words, my Polk RTi12 fronts are both equally 12 feet from my sweet spot when measured; they flank my entertainment center, which I sit facing the center of where my TV resides.)
Center: +8dB (IF your center is pretty much directly in front of you and equally between the left and right mains)
Front Right: +6dB (see Front Left above)
Surround Right: +6dB (IF you are sitting EQUIDISTANTLY between the two surrounds)
Surround Left: +6dB (IF you are sitting EQUIDISTANTLY between the two surrounds; if you are closer to either of these, lower the dB a bit to compensate and balance...you can check this by ear)
Sub: Leave this at +2dB for now...


Tell me how the system sounds after this...

5.1: ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
IntelliVolume is online now  
post #10296 of 10301 Old 11-08-2015, 09:39 AM
Senior Member
 
repair4man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Home of the Arch, Blues, and Cardinals
Posts: 322
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post

Also -- under "Source Setup," I have "IntelliVolume" set to "+10dB" for my "DVD" input (which my Blu-ray player is connected to via HDMI).

What are the kinds of volume numbers you're seeing on your 605? Perhaps we can compare that way (a lot of this has to do with the efficiency of the speakers you're driving with an AVR or amp)...
Thanks for the info. Boy all these years with the 605 and I never knew about the IntelliVolume feature. I also can't remember what volume I had set when I calibrated. I'll rerun. Usually I'm around 50 volume when watching by myself and 60 when watching shows or movies with my family. Volume setting probably has more to do with speaker efficiency than anything. All my speakers are Polk R150 bookshelf hung on wall in my home theater room. I series connected two R150s for center channel one above and one below screen. I have a Polk PSW404 powered sub for the sub channel and a PSW-10 connected to the front left and right channels to enhance range.

Levels with existing calibration (center was boosted manually by me to my preference) and recal just run with volume @ 60.
Speaker Original Cal with volume @ 60
Left: -1 +1
Center: +5 +2
Right: +1 +1
Surround R: -3 -1
Surr Back R: -1 -1
Surr Back L: 0 0
Surround L: -3 -3
Sub: +1 +2

I'll try the new settings, but I'm wondering how much the results would change between calibrations if I ran same configuration several times?

Reynolds:"Not much faith in plan A?"
O'Neill:"Since when has plan A ever worked?"

Stargate SG-1, episode 143, "Evolution"

repair4man is offline  
post #10297 of 10301 Old 11-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Member
 
devanee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by repair4man View Post
Thanks for the info. Boy all these years with the 605 and I never knew about the IntelliVolume feature. I also can't remember what volume I had set when I calibrated. I'll rerun. Usually I'm around 50 volume when watching by myself and 60 when watching shows or movies with my family. Volume setting probably has more to do with speaker efficiency than anything. All my speakers are Polk R150 bookshelf hung on wall in my home theater room. I series connected two R150s for center channel one above and one below screen. I have a Polk PSW404 powered sub for the sub channel and a PSW-10 connected to the front left and right channels to enhance range.

Levels with existing calibration (center was boosted manually by me to my preference) and recal just run with volume @ 60.
Speaker Original Cal with volume @ 60
Left: -1 +1
Center: +5 +2
Right: +1 +1
Surround R: -3 -1
Surr Back R: -1 -1
Surr Back L: 0 0
Surround L: -3 -3
Sub: +1 +2

I'll try the new settings, but I'm wondering how much the results would change between calibrations if I ran same configuration several times?
Hmm.interesting. I have not fooled around the the intellivolume feature. What does it actually do? Also my numbers are about the same as repairman's
devanee is offline  
post #10298 of 10301 Old 11-08-2015, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by repair4man View Post
Thanks for the info. Boy all these years with the 605 and I never knew about the IntelliVolume feature. I also can't remember what volume I had set when I calibrated. I'll rerun. Usually I'm around 50 volume when watching by myself and 60 when watching shows or movies with my family. Volume setting probably has more to do with speaker efficiency than anything. All my speakers are Polk R150 bookshelf hung on wall in my home theater room. I series connected two R150s for center channel one above and one below screen. I have a Polk PSW404 powered sub for the sub channel and a PSW-10 connected to the front left and right channels to enhance range.

Levels with existing calibration (center was boosted manually by me to my preference) and recal just run with volume @ 60.
Speaker Original Cal with volume @ 60
Left: -1 +1
Center: +5 +2
Right: +1 +1
Surround R: -3 -1
Surr Back R: -1 -1
Surr Back L: 0 0
Surround L: -3 -3
Sub: +1 +2

I'll try the new settings, but I'm wondering how much the results would change between calibrations if I ran same configuration several times?

A couple of things -- first, you're correct that speaker efficiency has a heck of a lot to do with the volume numbers we all experience. Second, you don't have to be at a certain master volume number when calibrating via the onboard Audyssey 2EQ; the system ignores all internal settings, from what I understand, and "does its thing" before allowing you to tweak as necessary afterward (except for the EQ curve).


Now, with regard to IntelliVolume, yes, this is a feature that many Onkyo (and Integra) gear owners don't know about; I don't know if it's because the setting is buried kinda deep within the "Source Setup" submenu of the setup menu or what, but I have advised many a novice -- and non-novice -- home theater enthusiast on using this control. The way it was designed by Onkyo, it's supposed to be an input "leveling system," so that the sources connected to the AVR (or processor) can be individually "trim matched" in a range of "-12dB" to "+12dB" and therefore should sound "somewhat equal" across the board when switching from source to source in one listening session. However, many HT and audio enthusiasts, myself included, use the system more as a sort of "input gain control" like the kind you'd find on older power amps, allowing the receiver, and therefore system, to sound louder at a lower master volume level (it's just a psycho-sematic thing, but some of us don't like having to see such very high master volume numbers in order to achieve satisfactory sound).


Regarding your question about running the configuration and calibration several times -- I'm not a big Audyssey proponent so I can't attest to the systems in's and out's, but I do know that it is totally normal to get non-repeatable (i.e. different) results every time you run the system; this is due to a number of factors including ambient room noise, placement of mic from trial to trial, etc. That's why I never got too caught up in the auto calibration programs (as anti-religious and stoning-inducing as many here feel about that stance); if you know your system and your room's layout you can learn to do a good job by yourself (or with an SPL meter if you want to really adjust to reference situations), and if you're already using quality speakers, EQ can sometimes make the system underperform (in my opinion and based on the opinion of some others). Yes -- there is a great deal of wiggle room here for argument...most tech types will tell you a room and its objects cause reflections that ABSOLUTELY cause "distortions" which an auto calibration/room correction algorithm will reverse, and that you're never actually hearing your speakers and "what they can do" by leaving an EQ system disabled and not dialed-in; in the end you need to do what YOU think sounds right, unless you're looking for reference-esque results (and that's fine, too...in other words, calibrating for the THX reference and such; the 605 doesn't even offer a "relative" volume scale to measure this, though...Onkyo, instead, insists that "82" on the absolute scale of this AVR equates to "reference level).

5.1: ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
IntelliVolume is online now  
post #10299 of 10301 Old 11-08-2015, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by devanee View Post
Hmm.interesting. I have not fooled around the the intellivolume feature. What does it actually do? Also my numbers are about the same as repairman's

Dev,


Please see the MIDDLE section of my reply to Repairman above...

5.1: ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
IntelliVolume is online now  
post #10300 of 10301 Old 11-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Member
 
devanee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntelliVolume View Post
Dev,


Please see the MIDDLE section of my reply to Repairman above...
I am going to fiddle around with the intellivolume as I watch furious 7. just curious what setting others have for treble and bass. I think mine is set at +6/+4. Also I have listening preference set to wide vs narrow.
devanee is offline  
post #10301 of 10301 Old 11-08-2015, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
IntelliVolume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,214
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by devanee View Post
I am going to fiddle around with the intellivolume as I watch furious 7. just curious what setting others have for treble and bass. I think mine is set at +6/+4. Also I have listening preference set to wide vs narrow.

Just watched Furious 7 (Blu-ray) the other night again, and even with my Blu-ray player's input set to +10dB on IntelliVolume, I found the Master Audio track to be somewhat lower than normal as far as mastering volume...


As a rule, you don't want to crank up bass and treble, even on your mains; I leave mine at 0dB for both. I don't mess with the wide/narrow setting either...

5.1: ONKYO TX-SR605B - oppo BDP-83 - SONY KDS-50A2020 SXRD
Mains: polkaudio RTi12 - Center: polkaudio CSi30 - Surrounds: SpeakerCraft Preinstalled In-Ceiling - Sub: polkaudio PSW350 - Auralex Acoustics SubDude - MONSTER PowerCenter HT700
2-CHANNEL:
ONKYO TX-8555 - marantz CC4001 - TASCAM CD-RW900SL PROFESSIONAL - Numark CDMIX 1 PROFESSIONAL
Infinity BY HARMAN PRIMUS P363BK - audio-technica AT-LP120-USB PROFESSIONAL -
Bell'O AT423T Audio Tower
IntelliVolume is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off