Official Onkyo 605 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Harmony...I had to adjust the remote controls myself...I e-mail harmony and asked them when they were going to update their database. I have not heard back from them yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothergoose45 View Post

I'm looking to buy this to run a Dish Network 622 and a sony dvd player, both input by HDMI and out by HDMI to a panny plasma (no 1080p). I will get a Blu-ray or HD-DVD later. What should make me buy this (605) instead of buying the 604 at a discounted price? Any other reasons that I dont know of?

You should look at something with more HDMI inputs. By my count when you get the Blu-Ray/HD DVD player, you'll have three HDMI sources. The 705/805 has three HDMI inputs in. The 605 only has two.
post #93 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusta View Post

You should look at something with more HDMI inputs. By my count when you get the Blu-Ray/HD DVD player, you'll have three HDMI sources. The 705/805 has three HDMI inputs in. The 605 only has two.

True, but with a Blu-RAy or HD-DVD I would omit the regular DVD player and just have the HD one. I would only need two then also. Just wondering if there is a reason for me with my setup to go with the 605 or would the 604 be just as good, as it would be discounted a bunch.
post #94 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusta View Post

Unless, of course, your TV has more than one HDMI in. And if your TV's settings (color, contrast, etc.) are applied by input (and not by autorecognizing different sources on the same input), it might make more sense to connect at least one of your HDMI sources directly to the TV. (Scenario: You have different video settings for DVD than for your DVR or cable box; running the video signals through the AVR's single HDMI out might force you to use the same settings, on that input, for all video sources coming in from the AVR). Again, this all depends on how your TV handles settings: by input or by source (and it's likely by input), and also whether you have more than one HDMI in on your TV.

Decisions, decisions. I'm personally going with the 805, but that has less to do with the number of HDMI ins than with other stuff I "need".

Come, let us kill the spirit of gravity...
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
post #95 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I posted this info in the other Onkyo thread but it will give you more details for each model.

"Power Audio DSPs DACs Video DSP HDMI In/Outs HD Radio/Internet
605 90Wx7 TIx1 Cirrus Genesis 2/1
705 100Wx7 TIx3 Cirrus Genesis 3/1
805 130Wx7 TIx3 Burr Brown Genesis 3/1
875 140Wx7 TIx3 Burr Brown SO Reon 4/1
905 140Wx7 TIx3 Burr Brown SO Reon 4/2 Yes"
post #96 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 09:03 AM

Went by HH Gregg and they have the 605 due for arrival next week. I preordered and they gave me the JR price.
post #97 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothergoose45 View Post

True, but with a Blu-RAy or HD-DVD I would omit the regular DVD player and just have the HD one. I would only need two then also. Just wondering if there is a reason for me with my setup to go with the 605 or would the 604 be just as good, as it would be discounted a bunch.

The prime reason in this case would be if you wanted the receiver to decode advanced/lossless 5.1-7.1, rather than the player. There's been a lot of (valid) hand-wringing here and in the anticipation thread over this, especially as the CURRENT crop of HDDVD/BR players can't pass the 7.1 hd bistream over HDMI. Models coming soon (the new Panasonic BR, for example) claim to be able to do this. If that's the case, it would be a major convenience to pass everything over HDMI for the AVR to handle (one cable, rather than multiple analog outs; the ability to apply sound mode processing to that bitstream signal, rather than being able to apply few if any as the PCM over the multichannel ins is usually "untouched"; etc.).

Again, decision, decisions. Whether this all (and bear in mind there are a lot of "ifs" involved in the whole "hd-bitstream-over-hdmi" issue) is worth the $200 or so difference between the 604 and 605 is your call alone.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
post #98 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler62 View Post

Has anyone had any issues loading the 605 into a Harmony Remote? They tell me that they do not have the files for the 604 or 605. When I try to add the 605, it reverts to 603 on my Harmony 520.

I have the 880 and worked just fine.
post #99 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a harmony remote and the 604, and things work just fine even though the 603 is the last recognized receiver in the harmony software. The remotes all have the same commands anyway so it doesn't make any difference.
post #100 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerknowledge View Post

The prime reason in this case would be if you wanted the receiver to decode advanced/lossless 5.1-7.1, rather than the player. There's been a lot of (valid) hand-wringing here and in the anticipation thread over this, especially as the CURRENT crop of HDDVD/BR players can't pass the 7.1 hd bistream over HDMI. Models coming soon (the new Panasonic BR, for example) claim to be able to do this. If that's the case, it would be a major convenience to pass everything over HDMI for the AVR to handle (one cable, rather than multiple analog outs; the ability to apply sound mode processing to that bitstream signal, rather than being able to apply few if any as the PCM over the multichannel ins is usually "untouched"; etc.).

Again, decision, decisions. Whether this all (and bear in mind there are a lot of "ifs" involved in the whole "hd-bitstream-over-hdmi" issue) is worth the $200 or so difference between the 604 and 605 is your call alone.

I will never have 7.1 in this room, only 5.1. I am going to get my Def. Techs today. So does that mean the 604 should be what I want? If the player decodes everything why would I need a reciver that does? Now if the 605 sounds better, has better HDMI (for my situation) benifits I would want the 605, or is the 605 a 604 receiver with better hdmi outputs and hd decoding?
post #101 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very clearly put. And more to your point, with the XA2 locked into 5.1 and with the new Panny having 7.1 analog outs (not to mention an attractive price and 5 decent disks) why any receiver upgrade is warranted at all, if you're content with analog, as I am. "Decisions, decisions" is an understatement as I do like some of the features in the 605.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #102 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 11:14 AM

How do these things sound, if anyone has gotten as far as actually listening?

Thanks.
post #103 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arios39 View Post

I spent some more time with the 605 and the picture adjusts itself if I change the aspect to H-Fill or Just. In Full, I get the bars all around. My biggest complaint with the previous HDMI up-conversion receivers that I tried before, is that they would degrade the picture going from Component to HDMI. This receiver did the same at the begining. But once I popped the AVIA dvd and recalibrated my TV keeping all the TV settings intact, and changing the picture settings in the receiver ( which is possible to navigate using the remote once the secret menu is up and running), the outcome was great. I am getting now 720p (according to the display/recall on the Panny plasma), the right aspect (16:9) and a great picture. I will be probably getting my HD player for Christmas. Until then, this will satisfy the kid in me.

I switched between component to components pass though the receiver to the Panny (480p) and component to HDMI (720p). The difference in somewhat noticeable. I am so used to see my player in 480p (softer picture) that with the up-scaling to 720p is hard for me to get used to.

Played a couple of scenes from the Fellowship of the Ring (which I know by heart) and the sound was perfect. Hard to say if this is an improvement from the 604 and 674 that have also gone through my rigorous testing.

Please let me know if you have any questions, but nothing that has to do with HD-DVD, PS3 or BD, as I don't own any yet.

If I understand correctly, The 605 WILL UPSCALE an analog video input (component, composite, S-video) to 720p when output through HDMI to a display. Is this correct?

So, I can expect to be able to view the video from my Nintendo wii (which will be connected to the 605 via component video) at 720p?

And, I can expect to be able to view the video from a VCR (which will be connected to the 605 via S-Video) at 720p as well?
post #104 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 11:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Please let me know if you have any questions, but nothing that has to do with HD-DVD, PS3 or BD, as I don't own any yet.

Any chance of connecting your dvd player to the 605 via S-Video and giving us an evaluation of the upscaled picture? That'd be great!!
Good choice of movie, btw... can't wait for HD-DVD version

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #105 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcapsley View Post

If I understand correctly, The 605 WILL UPSCALE an analog video input (component, composite, S-video) to 720p when output through HDMI to a display. Is this correct?

So, I can expect to be able to view the video from my Nintendo wii (which will be connected to the 605 via component video) at 720p?

And, I can expect to be able to view the video from a VCR (which will be connected to the 605 via S-Video) at 720p as well?

Yes! I connected my Game Cube using both component and composite. They both show on my Panny as 720p. Component looks great, but the composite looks horrible, and very dark (due to the picture settings I have from the AVIA calibration I did last night.

I do not have an s-video cable in this house (which my wife can't believe either) so I can not test with my old VRC.

Please keep in mind that this receiver is not going to be able to provide you HD quality (or even anything remotely close) by taking a less that good resolution or picture and running it through some inexpensive circuitry. This receiver works for me in the sense that my current DVD player is not HD or HDMI up-conversion, and the signal coming from the component cables passing it through HDMI is the best I have seen in comparison to these other receiver I have tested in the last couple of months. I am assuming that the upscaling helps, as opposed to just upconverting from component to HDMI.
post #106 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:

Yes! I connected my Game Cube using both component and composite. They both show on my Panny as 720p. Component looks great, but the composite looks horrible, and very dark (due to the picture settings I have from the AVIA calibration I did last night.

I do not have an s-video cable in this house (which my wife can't believe either) so I can not test with my old VRC.

Please keep in mind that this receiver is not going to be able to provide you HD quality (or even anything remotely close) by taking a less that good resolution or picture and running it through some inexpensive circuitry. This receiver works for me in the sense that my current DVD player is not HD or HDMI up-conversion, and the signal coming from the component cables passing it through HDMI is the best I have seen in comparison to these other receiver I have tested in the last couple of months. I am assuming that the upscaling helps, as opposed to just upconverting from component to HDMI.

Awesome! Thank you very much for the information and the insight.

I think I will cancel my J&R pre-order and go ahead and order it from Circuit City. Yes, I'll spend more, but since "priesteria" will be covering half the cost, I still come out ahead.
post #107 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
It is amazing that nobody is really pointing out how these things are sounding.
post #108 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I really would like to know this as well. I need an HDMI receiver and have this one on pre-order. I appreciate everyone's concern regarding the upscaling, but this is a receiver after all
post #109 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:

I agree. But at the same time, given how well-regarded the 604 was in the sound department, we should expect that the 605 will be at least its equal. And given that critical listening takes time (of which much hasn't really passed), as opposed to checking out features during the set-up honeymoon phase (and especially with so much spelunking to do into "undocumented feature territory), I suspect that folks have their hands full.

That said, I think that once the dust settles and the weekend sets in, some serious reportage of the sound quality is in order. That's the price of the privilege of getting these so soon, folks: YOU OWE THE REST OF US THAT MUCH!

-- Friedrich Nietzsche
post #110 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

OK - Sound quality. I did report a while back that the sound quality is fine. With my tin ears I'm probably the least qualified in this august crowd to comment on SQ. I wouldn't know bright from brash.

However, I will retract my earlier assessment and say that I feel this unit sounds excellent. But I think that is due to the great job the Audyssey EQ brought to the party. Prior, I thought I was an ace at HT set up but I guess this EQ can beat the best of us. I have this in a really odd ball room and what I thought was full surround, seamless, was thin in comparison to the all speaker contribution this unit has. For SQ, thumbs up.

post #111 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Having the player do the decoding has nothing whatsoever to do with "multiple analog outs". The player decodes to LPCM (digital signal) which is passed via HDMI to the receiver for bass-management, processing, and D/A conversion.
Most HDMI receivers apply bass-management, etc., to an LPCM signal, even if they can't process it into 7.1.

Decoding is not D/A conversion.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #112 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:

I think that most us believe that there will not be an issue with the sound overall given the past performance of Onkyo products such as the 604.

What many of are interested in is how much these new technologies are changing things. In my situation, I am definitely interested in the upscaling capabilities as it and it alone is what is the deciding factor between me sticking with the 605 (which I have preordered) or jumping to the Yamaha 661 because of it's ability to matrix 5.1 PCM into 7.1. It is a very tough choice that it seems like a lot are facing.
post #113 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
As far as sound, my guess is that they sound like competent solid state amps.

Jack Gilvey
SVS Customer Service

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #114 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 01:51 PM

Can anyone give a report on how the upscaling effects standard definition cable programming?
post #115 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Some more on the Hidden Menu. Its not hidden anymore.

When I connected my STB to the 605 via component, set the STB to output 480i and then select it, the display jumps right to the menu so you can select Auto or 720p, contrast, etc.

Btw, the SD picture quality is very good in comparison to the STB direct to the TV. It isn't SD off of the Tosh XA2 but better with the 605 than without.

post #116 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

With apologies to an earlier poster who inquired about the OSD. If you are in component video in than the AVR does have an overlay for things like DD format and yes, volume. It doesn't when using HDMI in.

post #117 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 02:04 PM

mrgribbles, you have me very excited about the arrival of my 605... Thank-you for reporting back to us and clearing up all the confusion over the upscaling.
post #118 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 02:34 PM

Good luck guys.....Got tired of waiting for J&R and there inability to provide a ship date. Just got off the phone they wanted to reduce the 605 price but I don't think I need it all my sources are 1080, along with the TV so I canceled my 605 pre-order and got a Yamaha 661 from them for under $400 delivered
post #119 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

mrgibbles, Did you notice any lip sync problem in your STB setup due the fact light is faster than sound?
post #120 of 10258 Old 06-01-2007, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshigashi View Post

I think that most us believe that there will not be an issue with the sound overall given the past performance of Onkyo products such as the 604.

What many of are interested in is how much these new technologies are changing things. In my situation, I am definitely interested in the upscaling capabilities as it and it alone is what is the deciding factor between me sticking with the 605 (which I have preordered) or jumping to the Yamaha 661 because of it's ability to matrix 5.1 PCM into 7.1. It is a very tough choice that it seems like a lot are facing.

The audio amplifiers and power supplies in the new Onkyo AVRs are virtually the same as the present Onkyo lineup..
Listen to a 604 it has the same amplifier & power supply as is in the 605..
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page