Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 1280 Old 08-27-2007, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Because they're commercially available products available to the general public and their EMI/RFI emissions need to be controlled and limited to below certain values so avoid problems with other equipment whether yours or someone elses. IIRC, it has to do with products that are 'Unintentional Radiators' such as amplifiers, computers, etc. There are CEC European equivalents. Some may recall the unintentional problems that one of the NuForce amps had screwing up people's radio receptions. Until they fixed it.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1280 Old 08-27-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Ahh - got it.

The modules must be then like Siriusly states, because mine were just the modules in a box with no adverse EMI/RFI issues at all.
post #93 of 1280 Old 08-27-2007, 01:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 449
My understanding is that the ICE modules/boards that are provided do pass the requisite FCC/CE (the CE being more stringent and inherently implying compliance with the FCC 15 Part B) requirements. What I don't know is if the various finished products do. I spoke with Bel Canto recently and they stated that their Class D amps are also tested for compliance (I believe that requires an outside party to do this) and although there is no sticker on the back or bottom, there is a CE marking. I was simply curious if the various other models that people are talking about also have such markings indicating compliance. Nothing more. Idle curiousity

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #94 of 1280 Old 08-27-2007, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The complete amp with power supply (1000ASP module) is just dropped into a chassis so not much to go wrong.
post #95 of 1280 Old 08-30-2007, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have been seriously considering the purchase of a 5 channel Halcro MC50 amp to drive my new Dali Helicon speakers. Until I saw this thread. Besides the obvious price difference, can anybody provide a comparison of the D-Sonic amp with the Halcro amp?
post #96 of 1280 Old 11-18-2007, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Bump, are any of you guys using these amps had any problems. Im going to purchase the Magnum 1000S to power a pair of Polk Rti12s. Should I upgrade speakers, this amp should do the trick. Reviews, thoughts, pictures are welcome. Thnx.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #97 of 1280 Old 12-12-2007, 06:56 PM

Is the quality of sound different between multi channel amp vs mono in regards to Ice power amps. I was considering the D-Sonics. Thinking about the 1000s.

Is D-Sonic a reputable company? I tried emailing them about their amps but never heard back. I read on this thread that they were going to have picts in 6 weeks. That was posted 4 months ago and I still dont see any....

Anyone own a d-sonic for any lenght of time? Certainly would like to hear what you think about the sound, build quality, experience dealing with company.
post #98 of 1280 Old 12-23-2007, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slybasil View Post

Is the quality of sound different between multi channel amp vs mono in regards to Ice power amps. I was considering the D-Sonics. Thinking about the 1000s.

Is D-Sonic a reputable company? I tried emailing them about their amps but never heard back. I read on this thread that they were going to have picts in 6 weeks. That was posted 4 months ago and I still dont see any....

Anyone own a d-sonic for any lenght of time? Certainly would like to hear what you think about the sound, build quality, experience dealing with company.

I own the 1000S and couldnt be happier, the overall output of the 1000S is very good. I notice an overall improvement in soundstage. Build quality is very well constructed, weighing only 20lbs its built like a tank and feels heavier. Dennis is a good guy to work with and has answered every email I sent, I suggest you call the 800 number from the website and speak to him directly. I would definitely buy from them again, as Im now thinking a 5 channel to go with the Magnum 1000S and selling the Outlaw Monoblocks.

Edit: Attached some pics of the Magnum 1000S.
LL
LL
LL

post #99 of 1280 Old 12-24-2007, 09:55 AM

^^^^
Thanks for the post and pictures!

I'm still trying to decide; Sunfire, D-Sonic, or Wyred4Sound?

Mike
post #100 of 1280 Old 12-24-2007, 03:54 PM

Thanks for the photos.

Its a little unusuall that someone has to find photos of the amp from a customer because the amp builder doesnt have any.

As you said in your other post Rdrcr... it would have to be a leap of faith. Let me know what you think if you go with D-sonic.

My reason for adding power is to, hopefully get a lot better sound. So I would get the Magnum 1000. There are a few other makers that I might consider,Jeff Rowland, Red Dragon, H2O. I would like to find a used pair of Brston 7sst monos. Not sure how they compare to Ice amps.
post #101 of 1280 Old 12-24-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdrcr View Post

^^^^
Thanks for the post and pictures!

I'm still trying to decide; Sunfire, D-Sonic, or Wyred4Sound?

Mike

Wyred4sound is in Paso Robles according to their web site. D-sonic doesnt mention an address, which also makes me wonder, but on Audiogon they show d-sonic located in Paso Robles also. Are they connected some how or is it just a coinsident?
post #102 of 1280 Old 12-24-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

The amps ship out of California fyi. I can understand how you feel about the website, but Im telling you your best bet is to call. Ive read many good things on this forum about D-sonic in other threads so I took the leap of faith and couldnt be happier.

post #103 of 1280 Old 12-28-2007, 02:16 PM

Very interesting that D-Sonic and Wyred4Sound are in the same city.... I emailed D-Sonic, have yet to get a reply, I did talk with Rick at tweakaudio, he is going to drop his line of amps, only has a couple left if anyone wants know.... He said he did not think they would sound better than my Pass Labs X150 .... anyone compare the 1000w ICE amps with a high end amp like a Krell or Pass?
post #104 of 1280 Old 12-28-2007, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm on my second go around with ICEpower 1000ASP modules and I simply love them. There's a reason Bel Canto, Rowland, Rotel, Red Dragon, PS Audio and other high end companies use them - because they are excellent. The best thing is they are small so you can plunk seven mono-blocks into one chassis that is often smaller than one conventional mono. I've got a modified PS Audio GCA MC done by Wyred, with three 1000ASP modules and four 250ASP's I will never be buying another amp.
There's nothing to fear from either supplier. If you can't get a hold of JP at Wyred, or Dennis at D-sonic - just be patient and consider the time of year.
post #105 of 1280 Old 12-28-2007, 05:18 PM

.... anyone compare the 1000w ICE amps with a high end amp like a Krell or Pass?[/quote]

I cant seem to find anyone who as actually done A/B comparison. Not sure why. Maybe its about pricing. You can get a 5oowpc mono amp from d-sonic for about $8oo but the same wpc amp in a Krell, Mcintosh, Bryston would cost at least 3 to 4k more. So IMO i think there is some reservation to compare an "$800 amp to a $4k amp" saying you cant compare them to each other. Or maybe its the same as comparing SS to Tube. It seems to me that exactly the reason there should be more comparison. Why pay 4k for an amp if it doesnt perform better then the $800amp. Also compare ICE to other Ice. How about a three way. ICE vs SS vs Tube.
post #106 of 1280 Old 12-28-2007, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

[/quote]

I cant seem to find anyone who as actually done A/B comparison. Not sure why. Maybe its about pricing. You can get a 5oowpc mono amp from d-sonic for about $8oo but the same wpc amp in a Krell, Mcintosh, Bryston would cost at least 3 to 4k more. So IMO i think there is some reservation to compare an "$800 amp to a $4k amp" saying you cant compare them to each other. Or maybe its the same as comparing SS to Tube. It seems to me that exactly the reason there should be more comparison. Why pay 4k for an amp if it doesnt perform better then the $800amp. Also compare ICE to other Ice. How about a three way. ICE vs SS vs Tube.[/quote]

Ok, if you're that interested do some homework;
Google for reviews on the Bel Canto Ref 1000, Jeff Rowland Model 501 and Red Dragon, and for that matter search "ICEpower 1000ASP", then come back and see if you still want to ask that question.

By the way the PS Audio GCA that I've got would be almost $8K MSRP.
Hardly a budget component.

I've never had a Krell or Pass because I did my homework when it was time to buy, and the ICEpower amps seem like the best bet to me and as I sit here listening to Jane Selkye's sultry voice on SACD reproduced as good as anything I've ever heard I've got no regrets. Or for that matter any desire to compare them to anything else.
post #107 of 1280 Old 12-28-2007, 09:26 PM

Will these amps work well with a 4ohm sub? Are bass (low) "signals" more difficult to amplify than treble (high)?

"Unless you continually work, evolve and innovate, you'll learn a quick and painful lesson from someone who has"
post #108 of 1280 Old 12-28-2007, 09:29 PM

I am doing my homework. That is why I am asking questions. You say you have "no desire to compare them to anything else" but at one time you must have compared them. Then after all the comparisons you came up with your conclusion. Just like I am now and like you I am finding that the Ice amps might be the better buy.

I did the read some of the reviews. They say a lot of good stuff about the amps. I Also read that Ice amps do not sound that much different from one brand to the other. Is that true? How are they different to justifies the price difference. Are they not all from the B&O design. The amp you have msrp is 8k, D-sonic has the same setup, 3x500 4x250msrp 3k. Is there a 5k difference in the sound? That is why I would like to see some comparison from one brand of Ice to another. If you have compared them I would love to hear what your thoughts are.
post #109 of 1280 Old 12-28-2007, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG386 View Post

Will these amps work well with a 4ohm sub? Are bass (low) "signals" more difficult to amplify than treble (high)?

Absolutely, they are stable down to 2ohms and have a FR below 10hz IIRC.
The 1000ASP is called "1000" likely because that's what it puts out at 4ohms.

And yes bass signals are more difficult for a lot of amps but this is where class "D" excells IMO - amazing bass control.

I used the ASP500 modules to power my 4 X 15" IB sub.
post #110 of 1280 Old 12-28-2007, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am doing my homework. That is why I am asking questions. You say you have "no desire to compare them to anything else" but at one time you must have compared them. Then after all the comparisons you came up with your conclusion. Just like I am now and like you I am finding that the Ice amps might be the better buy.

I did the read some of the reviews. They say a lot of good stuff about the amps. I Also read that Ice amps do not sound that much different from one brand to the other. Is that true? How are they different to justifies the price difference. Are they not all from the B&O design. The amp you have msrp is 8k, D-sonic has the same setup, 3x500 4x250msrp 3k. Is there a 5k difference in the sound? That is why I would like to see some comparison from one brand of Ice to another. If you have compared them I would love to hear what your thoughts are.

Nope, never compared them, bought them without hearing them. My first set came from Denmark called BEAST. They were no brainers for the price I paid -I couldn't go wrong. The PS Audio that I have now sound identical to the BEAST's I had then - IMO

Here read these and pay attention to the pics of the modules they are the entire amplifier;

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatur.../icepower.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/jjaz/jjaz.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/eone2/1000.html

Hopefully that'll help you understand the only differences in pricing is because you're paying for the name and fancy case.
post #111 of 1280 Old 12-29-2007, 12:03 AM

rnrgagne...thanks

how does your system sound having the 1000asp up front with the 500 in the surrounds?
I always thought that it was best to have all channels the same. Any benefit going with front and surrounds being on different amps?
post #112 of 1280 Old 12-29-2007, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

rnrgagne...thanks

how does your system sound having the 1000asp up front with the 500 in the surrounds?
I always thought that it was best to have all channels the same. Any benefit going with front and surrounds being on different amps?

It doesnt all have to be the same, speaker calibration and delay is all setup in the AVR or pre/pro. I imagine his setup sounds very good, granted I dont know what speakers he's powering but I can surely agree with him that these amps do a very stellar job. My setup never sounded so good before, I very happy with the D-Sonic Magnum 1000S

post #113 of 1280 Old 12-29-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Absolutely, they are stable down to 2ohms and have a FR below 10hz IIRC.
The 1000ASP is called "1000" likely because that's what it puts out at 4ohms.

And yes bass signals are more difficult for a lot of amps but this is where class "D" excells IMO - amazing bass control.

I used the ASP500 modules to power my 4 X 15" IB sub.

Thanks for the info, mine is rated @ 600w x 4ohm, so the the asp500 should do just fine...

"Unless you continually work, evolve and innovate, you'll learn a quick and painful lesson from someone who has"
post #114 of 1280 Old 12-29-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
FWIW, I am using an 1000ASP based amp (Beast)....from the same person in Denmark where rnrgagne got his, in fact I used him as a reference.

It has been outstanding...great detail and control.

It is great to see that there are more local alternatives using ICEpower now.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #115 of 1280 Old 12-29-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherardp View Post

It doesnt all have to be the same, speaker calibration and delay is all setup in the AVR or pre/pro. I imagine his setup sounds very good, granted I dont know what speakers he's powering but I can surely agree with him that these amps do a very stellar job. My setup never sounded so good before, I very happy with the D-Sonic Magnum 1000S

Right. Really, the even the mains won't use anywhere near the 500w. My mains are only rated to 250w. My unit actually has the 250ASP modules for the surrounds so 125w/8ohms. Sounds great - obviously.
I run Paradigm Signature S4's and Rythmik Audio 12" servos as my mains, a Signature C3 center, and Studio ADP / 20 v3's for surrounds with a 4 x 15" IB sub to sweeten the pot.
post #116 of 1280 Old 12-29-2007, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Can one of you guys PM me info on where I can check out the beast amp?
post #117 of 1280 Old 12-29-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Can one of you guys PM me info on where I can check out the beast amp?

They guy does not make them anymore, and there is no price advantage over D-Sonic. If D-Sonic was around when I got the Beast....I would have went with D-Sonic.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #118 of 1280 Old 01-07-2008, 08:10 PM

The "Beast"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

They guy does not make them anymore, and there is no price advantage over D-Sonic. If D-Sonic was around when I got the Beast....I would have went with D-Sonic.

post #119 of 1280 Old 01-30-2008, 02:29 PM

Liked: 12
Just a comment that I chose the Hypex UCD400 amps because I needed an amp that had common grounds so I could use the REL sub's hi-level inputs.

That, IMO, is a downside to the ICE amps.
post #120 of 1280 Old 01-30-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:

As you said in your other post Rdrcr... it would have to be a leap of faith. Let me know what you think if you go with D-sonic.

I did not buy the D-Sonic.

I purchased the Wyred4Sound MC500 500 X 5 amplifier. The reasons I purchased the Wyred unit was because the company has a history, a very knowledgable sales team, the amp is upgradable to seven channels, dual IEC's (to extract the full power potential when driving all channels), excellent construction, and a fair warranty.

I truly believe, I have purchased my last amplifier.

I find it hard to put what I hear, into words regarding the differences between amplifiers or components. However, I have been extremely happy with the sound of this amplifer, it is much more musical than the Adcom it replaced.

Mike
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page