1Likes

post #1261 of 1283 Old 04-18-2014, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by d00m View Post

I have the M2-1500M (a pair of course) and it sounds awesome. I wouldn't worry too much. I'm pretty sure there are subtle changes between M2 and M3, maybe in the buffer stage? Just guessing. I've heard a lot of amps in all classes that I know of (A, AB, C, D, T) and to me the M2 is definitely one of the best I've heard. In it's price range it's no doubt the best.

Hello there, I am considering a new D-Sonic 5 channel amp, BUT I need some feedback first. My current amp is a 2008 rotel rmb-1095 ( 200w x 5 ) which sounds very good. My speakers are all large- PBN Montana's. Would this be an upgrade in performance? I would think so but would love to hear more from other d-sonic owners.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1283 Old 04-18-2014, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckard97 View Post

Hello there, I am considering a new D-Sonic 5 channel amp, BUT I need some feedback first. My current amp is a 2008 rotel rmb-1095 ( 200w x 5 ) which sounds very good. My speakers are all large- PBN Montana's. Would this be an upgrade in performance? I would think so but would love to hear more from other d-sonic owners.

Thanks!

Since I haven't heard that particular Rotel I really can't give you an honest opinion. Most Rotels I've heard perform really well in their price range. I wild guess though would be that the D-Sonic amps would be an improvement, based on my experience with various amps. smile.gif
Deckard97 likes this.
post #1263 of 1283 Old 04-18-2014, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello All,

The M2-1500M and M3-1500M are identical.

I originally went to the M2 designation to reflect new cosmetics, grounding and EMI/RFI shielding. The 6 Moons review was done at that time. After the review was published, I decided to change all of the newer technology amplifiers to the M3 designation to make a clean separation between the M2 and M3 series.

Regards,

Dennis
D-Sonic Custom Audio
www.d-sonic.net
800-862-7998
Deckard97 likes this.
post #1264 of 1283 Old 04-18-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Thanks!
What is the sensitivity of the speakers and the recommended amount of max power (WPC)?

Chris
post #1265 of 1283 Old 04-18-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28

All amps sound the same anyway ;) 

(sarcasm) btw

post #1266 of 1283 Old 04-18-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

What is the sensitivity of the speakers and the recommended amount of max power (WPC)?

Chris

Hi Chris, the speakers are easy to drive... -92.5db sensitivity. The recommended power is 150 - 500 watts per speaker. ( But I'm sure the Montana's could handle a lot more if needed;)

thx for your reply,
Bri
post #1267 of 1283 Old 04-18-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I actually agree with you for the most part. As long as the speaker being driven has enough power to drive it effortlessly without running out of headroom there should be no audible differences, unless the design purposely intended to put there own sonic signature on the sound being amplified or the amp in question is broken.
It is when the amp starts clipping that breakup can occur. This breakup causes distortion which can lead to a perceived audible different sound.
Chris
post #1268 of 1283 Old 04-18-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Chris, the speakers are easy to drive... -92.5db sensitivity. The recommended power is 150 - 500 watts per speaker. ( But I'm sure the Montana's could handle a lot more if needed;)

thx for your reply,
Bri
In this case 500wpc will drive your speakers better with less effort then 200 wpc the higher you turn the volume up and the more dynamic the source material being reproduced. You should notice that the speakers become more effortless.(faster tighter and more punchy) but the sound will not change. An amp should accept the signal, amplify that signal, and send it back out neutral with no color.
This amp should be more efficient then the rotel and not get as hot. Those are big pluses IMO. I've had/have a lot of amps this is by far my favorite total package amp. I have the M2 1500 it weighs less then 30 pounds yet puts out 500 wpc and never heats up. That is Awesome! smile.gif
Chris
Deckard97 likes this.
post #1269 of 1283 Old 04-20-2014, 06:46 AM

Good Stuff Chris! I think I am pretty dead set on getting the 5 channel M3 from Dennis. His prices are real good.......the Wyred 4 Sound Amps are VERY similar in design and performance, but more costly.

enjoy!
post #1270 of 1283 Old 04-20-2014, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Good Stuff Chris! I think I am pretty dead set on getting the 5 channel M3 from Dennis. His prices are real good.......the Wyred 4 Sound Amps are VERY similar in design and performance, but more costly.

enjoy!

You won't be disappointed.
post #1271 of 1283 Old 04-20-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!

Chris

Not quite all of the best questions. The best questions are:

(1) Efficiency of speakers?

(2) Speaker positioning whether along wall or in the middle of the room

(3) Preferences for SPL - if you don't know, get a SPL meter right now - they only cost $20-50.

(4) Listening distance

(5) Subwoofer yes or no, and the only reasonable answer is yes.
post #1272 of 1283 Old 04-20-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

In this case 500wpc will drive your speakers better with less effort then 200 wpc the higher you turn the volume up and the more dynamic the source material being reproduced. You should notice that the speakers become more effortless.(faster tighter and more punchy) but the sound will not change. An amp should accept the signal, amplify that signal, and send it back out neutral with no color.
This amp should be more efficient then the rotel and not get as hot. Those are big pluses IMO. I've had/have a lot of amps this is by far my favorite total package amp. I have the M2 1500 it weighs less then 30 pounds yet puts out 500 wpc and never heats up. That is Awesome! smile.gif
Chris

I used to think this too. Actually when you are merely loud and using 5watts or less your speakers won't see or taste or smell the difference in potentially available power. The physical laws of the universe require that at any given voltage into any given speaker the current and therefore power have to be exactly the same. It's not a law like the speed limit it's like gravity. Always there and unavoidable. Increase the voltage (also called turning up the volume) makes things louder. At any spl that is within the audibly clean and linear band of an amp voltage and current have to be the same so power has to be the same regardless of remaining headroom in amp power.

Aside from intentional treble roll offs the most likely amp spec to make a sonic difference, assuming you are not distorting the amp, is output impedance. High enough output impedance into a difficult enough load can cause the amp to have frequency response peaks and dips that could be audible.
Deckard97 likes this.
post #1273 of 1283 Old 04-21-2014, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

The physical laws of the universe require that at any given voltage into any given speaker the current and therefore power have to be exactly the same.

Those laws do not require that all amps be able to deliver the current demanded by that voltage, in which case the voltage will of course drop.

Which is not to make any statement as to how likely this scenario is.

Noah
post #1274 of 1283 Old 04-21-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Its called clipping. Basic premise remains. Didn't I say linear? Clipping isn't linear. If the less powerful amp clips audibly the 2 amps will sound different. Experience suggets that at lower distortion levels the clipping amp will sound better to many. Virtually guaranteed it will be perceived as louder. Distortion sounds loud. Also clipping implies some dynamic compression, raising average levels and sounding louder.
post #1275 of 1283 Old 04-24-2014, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Basic question, are the D-sonic input stages modified now (or have they always been?) If they changed... where did that change occur. Seems like Wyred 4 Sound modifies for sure. Wasn't sure if D-Sonic does, and when that change happened.

In following through this thread, there seemed to be some mixed thoughts on that. Also, has anyone had any real experience listening to the M2 with the ice modules and the M3 with the new modules back to back? Just wondering where if/where they are different (low end, top end etc?)

How do the D-sonic's hold resale, has anyone sold theirs to upgrade etc?

There are not a lot of "professional" reviews out there, many are listed as M2, but not sure which modules that means they have as it sounds like a running change occured. Specifically interested in multi-channel also.
post #1276 of 1283 Old 04-24-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by green giant View Post

Basic question, are the D-sonic input stages modified now (or have they always been?) If they changed... where did that change occur. Seems like Wyred 4 Sound modifies for sure. Wasn't sure if D-Sonic does, and when that change happened.

In following through this thread, there seemed to be some mixed thoughts on that. Also, has anyone had any real experience listening to the M2 with the ice modules and the M3 with the new modules back to back? Just wondering where if/where they are different (low end, top end etc?)

There are not a lot of "professional" reviews out there, many are listed as M2, but not sure which modules that means they have as it sounds like a running change occured. Specifically interested in multi-channel also.
Dennis offers a 30 day in home trial, but I can't imagine you wouldn't be happy with them.
Deckard97 likes this.

Builds: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 x 5. 
post #1277 of 1283 Old 04-24-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by green giant View Post

Also, has anyone had any real experience listening to the M2 with the ice modules and the M3 with the new modules back to back? Just wondering where if/where they are different (low end, top end etc?)

I have real side by side experience with both versions of the amps. I previously had a original version 5 channel amp, then an M2 - 7 channel, and now have an M3 - 7 channel. I had the M2 - 7 channel and the M3 - 7 channel in my system at the same time as I was beta testing the M3 for Dennis before he released the M3. The M2s with ice modules are very good amps, very dynamic with good expression along the full range of frequencies. The M3 amps are a little more dynamic. The sound stage is a little deeper and sounds more like I'm in front of a live band. The mid and low range are a little crisper and the low end on the M3 amps seems to dig a little deeper with less effort than the M2. The upper mid range to the higher frequencies are a little more organic with the M3.
Quote:

I can't comment on the resale value as I've traded mine in for the newer versions and paid an upgrade fee to Dennis on each one.

Both the M2 and M3 are very good Class D amps. You can't go wrong with either. Please note though, that any perceived difference that I hear in my theater, you may not hear in your system. The amp is just one piece of the puzzle and all of the parts work together to produce the final sound you hear. If you're looking for more theater use, and you have access to an M2 with the Ice modules, go for it. You won't be disappointed. If you're buying new, go for the M3.
Deckard97 likes this.
post #1278 of 1283 Old 04-24-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoflight View Post

I have real side by side experience with both versions of the amps. I previously had a original version 5 channel amp, then an M2 - 7 channel, and now have an M3 - 7 channel. I had the M2 - 7 channel and the M3 - 7 channel in my system at the same time as I was beta testing the M3 for Dennis before he released the M3. The M2s with ice modules are very good amps, very dynamic with good expression along the full range of frequencies. The M3 amps are a little more dynamic. The sound stage is a little deeper and sounds more like I'm in front of a live band. The mid and low range are a little crisper and the low end on the M3 amps seems to dig a little deeper with less effort than the M2. The upper mid range to the higher frequencies are a little more organic with the M3.
I can't comment on the resale value as I've traded mine in for the newer versions and paid an upgrade fee to Dennis on each one.

Both the M2 and M3 are very good Class D amps. You can't go wrong with either. Please note though, that any perceived difference that I hear in my theater, you may not hear in your system. The amp is just one piece of the puzzle and all of the parts work together to produce the final sound you hear. If you're looking for more theater use, and you have access to an M2 with the Ice modules, go for it. You won't be disappointed. If you're buying new, go for the M3.

I am very confident that the D-SONIC amps will not disappoint. That being said, I'll be selling my rotel and going with an M3. I'm sure that the D amps are superior....well, 99.99% sure. wink.gif
conanb and pgwalsh like this.
post #1279 of 1283 Old 08-18-2014, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will there be a slim 5 channel model in the foreseeable future?
post #1280 of 1283 Old 08-19-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcss View Post
Will there be a slim 5 channel model in the foreseeable future?
Greg,

A slim 5 channel is not planned at this time. With the present module sizes it is not possible to fit that many channels into a slimmer package. There are lower power, smaller modules that could be used to do this that would limit output to 175w/ch or less. The great majority of my customers prefer higher power in at least the front channels.

Dennis
post #1281 of 1283 Old 09-04-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Dennis

I may have missed it, but I've read you're not using the ICE modules in these new amps, is that correct? If not, are you using Hypex or something else?

Peter

Builds: 
 x 5. 
post #1282 of 1283 Old 09-04-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
Dennis

I may have missed it, but I've read you're not using the ICE modules in these new amps, is that correct? If not, are you using Hypex or something else?

Peter

Peter,

I use ICEpower im the M2-1500-3 only. All other models use different technology, not Hypex.

Regards,

Dennis
post #1283 of 1283 Old 09-04-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsonic View Post
Peter,

I use ICEpower im the M2-1500-3 only. All other models use different technology, not Hypex.

Regards,

Dennis
Cool. I have the original series and will need another multichannel amp for my new theater - still in the planning stages - since there will be many more speakers. I'm doing an Atmos theater with 2 rows of seats and sides and heights for each row. I have Acoustic Elegance TD12M's and SEOS 12's for mains and haven't decided on the surrounds. Contemplating on using series 3 for all. Thoughts?

Builds: 
 x 5. 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page