D-Sonic custom Audio amps - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #1381 of 1391 Old 05-19-2016, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
^^^ Yes, good point, especially since SMPS' tend to kick HF noise back into the line if not well designed. I would use the power conditioner on the source and other low-level components, leaving the power amp plugged directly into the wall. That way the low-level things are isolated and the conditioner is not limiting current into the power amp.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1391 Old 05-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The only thing I can say, and I don't know how useful this will really be, but my amp is on it's own 20A circuit - but FWIW - shares the ground from an adjacent 15A circuit that has EVERYTHING else on it. This circuit was previously ungrounded, and when the electrician was installing the 20A, he shunted through the wall stud and grounded the 15A in this manner. There is ZERO hum, noise, or buzz generated in my system in this config. The 15A circuit has a Panamax 5400 hosting the cable box, TV, LD Player, BD Player, Pre-Pro, and a set of cooling fans for the AV cabinet. Everything seems to play nicely together.
post #1383 of 1391 Old 06-22-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 248
I sent an e-mail off to Dennis, but did not get a reply. I'll post my questions here.

Can someone confirm the specs on the M3-2000-5?

Is this using (5) Pascal 400 watt / 8 ohm - 800 watt / 4ohm amplifier modules?

What is the size of the power supply in this amplifier? I'm not too familiar with the multi-channel designs. I assume all channels share one common supply?

How much power can this unit supply with all channels driven simultaneously?

What's new coming from D-Sonic? Any new modules/models or changes planned for 2016?
post #1384 of 1391 Old 06-22-2016, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
I sent an e-mail off to Dennis, but did not get a reply. I'll post my questions here.

Can someone confirm the specs on the M3-2000-5?

Is this using (5) Pascal 400 watt / 8 ohm - 800 watt / 4ohm amplifier modules?

What is the size of the power supply in this amplifier? I'm not too familiar with the multi-channel designs. I assume all channels share one common supply?

How much power can this unit supply with all channels driven simultaneously?

What's new coming from D-Sonic? Any new modules/models or changes planned for 2016?
That's interesting, I have never NOT received a reply from Dennis via email, he's typically very fast! Yes - these are Pascal modules and as far as I know, there is one common power supply and the unit delivers all power to all channels simultaneously - 400 watts per channel, not just with 2 channels driven, etc. Don't know what changes are on the horizon, that's a Dennis question, and I would confirm with him anyway all of the answers I've given you.
dwaleke likes this.
post #1385 of 1391 Old 06-22-2016, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
There is ZERO hum, noise, or buzz generated in my system in this config. The 15A circuit has a Panamax 5400 hosting the cable box, TV, LD Player, BD Player, Pre-Pro, and a set of cooling fans for the AV cabinet. Everything seems to play nicely together.
In in an effort to be totally fair in my statements, and if anybody has been following my other posts, the ZERO hum/buzz thing is no longer true - BUT - this is no fault of the amp. It turned out that once I brought HDMI into the picture with my pre-pro (I had not initially had this set up), a 60Hz hum was in fact created. Again, no fault of the components, this has been traced back to the ground wire on the cable TV splitter before entry into the house.

There is also an annoying buzz unrelated to the 60Hz hum that is now occurring in my speakers that was not there initially - still working to track this down, but again - not the amp. Dennis actually sent me a replacement just in case it was the amp. NOPE. Also was able to procure a different brand/type amp to try in my system, same problem. So, it ain't amps! The search continues.

What I really do like though about the D-Sonic amp is the footprint and overall dimension - such a perfect fit for my situation, and it is good looking unit, obviously of solid build. Simple, which is what it should be. The space saving factor (height) and less heat than A/B designs was really critical to my setup as it is totally enclosed in my AV cabinet.
post #1386 of 1391 Old 06-22-2016, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
That's interesting, I have never NOT received a reply from Dennis via email, he's typically very fast! Yes - these are Pascal modules and as far as I know, there is one common power supply and the unit delivers all power to all channels simultaneously - 400 watts per channel, not just with 2 channels driven, etc. Don't know what changes are on the horizon, that's a Dennis question, and I would confirm with him anyway all of the answers I've given you.
D Waleke,

Jonas2 has answered your questions quite well.

Each channel does have its own separate power supply.

I have no record of receiving an email from you. Did you send it through the website email default?

Regards,

Dennis
post #1387 of 1391 Old 06-22-2016, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

post #1388 of 1391 Old 06-25-2016, 05:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Dennis - I just sent you a PM.
Did you hear back from Dennis?
post #1389 of 1391 Old 06-25-2016, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes. I e-mailed him at the address posted a page or two back and he replied.
post #1390 of 1391 Old 06-25-2016, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes. I e-mailed him at the address posted a page or two back and he replied.
Are you thinking about trying one out?
post #1391 of 1391 Old 06-25-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I am. I'm on the fence between this and the NuPrime MCH-K38.

I originally ordered an Emotiva XPA 3rd Gen amplifier. But after almost 2 months of waiting I cancelled the order.

And every time the Monolith goes on sale that tempts me as well.

If I had power hungry speakers I'd go for the D-sonic without question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page