D-Sonic custom Audio amps - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #1411 of 1432 Old 01-11-2017, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
D-Sonic doesn't disclose which modules are used. However we know many of the current amplifiers are Pascal based.

IIRC D-Sonic moved away from hypex modules a couple of years ago. Not sure what (if anything) has come after the Pascal modules.
I have been reading everything I could find about class d manufacturers since I got interested in replacing my amps. I had the impression that D-Sonic had gone to all Pascal modules several years ago after using Anaview for some period of time. But just the other day I read something (can't remember where ) that implied that the less than 1500 watt D-Sonics are still Anaview? My understanding is that both are very similar in sound characteristic but i'd be interested in knowing which is which none the less.

Display: Sony W900A 55"
Sources: Oppo 103, Roku 3, Fire TV
Processor and Amps: Emotiva separates
Speakers: PSA fronts and subs, Polk surrounds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1432 Old 01-11-2017, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwar View Post
I have been reading everything I could find about class d manufacturers since I got interested in replacing my amps. I had the impression that D-Sonic had gone to all Pascal modules several years ago after using Anaview for some period of time. But just the other day I read something (can't remember where ) that implied that the less than 1500 watt D-Sonics are still Anaview? My understanding is that both are very similar in sound characteristic but i'd be interested in knowing which is which none the less.
Similarily I've been looking at many class D (and H) amps - just dont want to deal with lugging around 100+ pound blocks. I'm looking to settle on an amp for the long term (famous last words) and have an ATI n-core coming in. Was debating wether it'd be worth the hassel of comparing against a d-sonic
Roadwar likes this.
post #1413 of 1432 Old 01-11-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynch34 View Post
I Love the xpa-1ls but they do push out a bunch of heat in my room. Adding that I live in Florida it would be nice to get as good results with less heat being thrown into the room. I am just a little leery with my Maggies not getting what is needed going to this type of amplification...
They'll get what they need.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
These use the N-core modules correct? Are they differrent than those used in the ATI class D amps?
No. Pascals. At least when I bought mine back in May they were Pascals, Dennis told me himself.

Quote:
Easy - email or call Dennis.

Quote:
Similarily I've been looking at many class D (and H) amps - just dont want to deal with lugging around 100+ pound blocks. I'm looking to settle on an amp for the long term (famous last words) and have an ATI n-core coming in. Was debating wether it'd be worth the hassel of comparing against a d-sonic
Don't know what ATI's policy is. Unfortunately, you would pay a restocking fee for a D-Sonic if it goes back. Dennis did however on my amp grant me a longer trial period (didn't need it though). I personally would be interested to know impressions of such a comparison, so let us know if you actually decide to try this....

post #1414 of 1432 Old 01-11-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Bet you're really gonna like that! Let us know what you think when you get it settled in . I am really space limited. I don't have rack room for 2 big cabinets or floor space for stand alone amp stands......the Emo XPA-1Ls are only 4 inches tall so my plan is to either fit two D-Sonic 600 watt monos on the short rack I have available or to place one of the Gen 3 Emo cabinets containing two of the 600 watt modules in the single taller space I have available. Just waiting on Emo to release final specs and cost on that option to decide which way to go. Like you, I'm looking for whatever I do to be a long term solution.

post #1415 of 1432 Old 01-11-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Bet you're really gonna like that! Let us know what you think when you get it settled in . I am really space limited. I don't have rack room for 2 big cabinets or floor space for stand alone amp stands......the Emo XPA-1Ls are only 4 inches tall so my plan is to either fit two D-Sonic 600 watt monos on the short rack I have available or to place one of the Gen 3 Emo cabinets containing two of the 600 watt modules in the single taller space I have available. Just waiting on Emo to release final specs and cost on that option to decide which way to go. Like you, I'm looking for whatever I do to be a long term solution.
Are you horizontally space challenged? If not, why not the D-Sonic 2 x 600W Stereo Amp instead of the separate monos? Save yourself $200.00.... Same dimensions, unless you're stacking the monos in your rack....?
post #1416 of 1432 Old 01-11-2017, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
I'm debating wether its worth it. One of my big hanf ups is the D-sonic is a bit to deep to fit in my cabinet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Don't know what ATI's policy is. Unfortunately, you would pay a restocking fee for a D-Sonic if it goes back. Dennis did however on my amp grant me a longer trial period (didn't need it though). I personally would be interested to know impressions of such a comparison, so let us know if you actually decide to try this....
Well, my M.O. has been just to buy it outright and take a hit on the product I don't keep. But, the comparison is unlikley to happen as the D-sonic juuust can't fit in my cabinet. I should probably just let them go, but I really like everything I've read about them
post #1417 of 1432 Old 01-11-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm debating wether its worth it. One of my big hanf ups is the D-sonic is a bit to deep to fit in my cabinet

Well, my M.O. has been just to buy it outright and take a hit on the product I don't keep. But, the comparison is unlikley to happen as the D-sonic juuust can't fit in my cabinet. I should probably just let them go, but I really like everything I've read about them
I hear that. Was too deep for mine originally, fortunately (and I knew this ahead of time), cabinet maker offered an extended rear panel that added an extra 3+" to the rear dimension. That made it no problem, of course sets the cabinet away from the wall that many more inches.
post #1418 of 1432 Old 01-11-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Are you horizontally space challenged? If not, why not the D-Sonic 2 x 600W Stereo Amp instead of the separate monos? Save yourself $200.00.... Same dimensions, unless you're stacking the monos in your rack....?
Yeah I'm really confusing with my descriptions....sorry. Two mono D-Sonics would fit where one of my existing monoblock amps goes, leaving me with an empty big space to place my processor. Alternately, one new big Emo cabinet with two of the new high power modules would fit in the empty big space (currently occupied by one of the existing monoblocks) thereby freeing up a small rack space that would allow me to move several smaller components down into the rack. The stereo D-Sonic is a definite consideration but I'm thinking the flexibility of the monoblocks might be a plus in the future. Hope this makes sense.

post #1419 of 1432 Old 01-21-2017, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I'm considering replacing my upgraded Odyssey Khartago (stereo) and HT3 (3-channel) for the 5x400w amp from D-Sonic. Has anyone compared these or something similar? I'd rather keep the two Odyssey amps that are on 24/7 even if the sound quality is 1% better over the D-Sonic. Is there any sound quality benefit from going with the 5 channel versus stereo and 3ch amp from D-Sonic? I like the idea of two smaller units over one large one.
post #1420 of 1432 Old 01-21-2017, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregcss View Post
I'm considering replacing my upgraded Odyssey Khartago (stereo) and HT3 (3-channel) for the 5x400w amp from D-Sonic. Has anyone compared these or something similar? I'd rather keep the two Odyssey amps that are on 24/7 even if the sound quality is 1% better over the D-Sonic. Is there any sound quality benefit from going with the 5 channel versus stereo and 3ch amp from D-Sonic? I like the idea of two smaller units over one large one.
There should not be any SQ difference between the 5-channel and a 2+3 Channel arrangement, unless there's something inside them that only Dennis knows about! Give him a call, or send him an email.....
post #1421 of 1432 Old 01-31-2017, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 8
A few years back I talked to Denis and was close to purchasing. Then life got in the way... divorce... thus lost my house and all that fun divorce stuff.

I am finally about to move again and need a amp.

Sonically is there is difference between the different power ratings? 400 vs 600 vs 1500?

I also see 800w is listed only on the multi channel versions.... ?

I talked to Dennis a few years back and use old infinity kappa 8.1 speakers, someday I would like to upgrade to a better classic infinity Speaker however not sure which one that would be. Might be the 9.1's, renaissance or something in the IRS family thus leaning towards more power vs less.

Another question is since my speakers accept bi-amping, am I better off to say get a stereo m3-3000s (1500w x 2) to power both speakers or would two M3-1200s (600x2 per amp) be a better option? Speakers see similar power, just coming from a additional two channels of amp.

Back when I was married speakers were bi amend with paramount hca1500's and I wanted more power those were 200-250w a channel.
post #1422 of 1432 Old 01-31-2017, 01:48 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
A few years back I talked to Denis and was close to purchasing. Then life got in the way... divorce... thus lost my house and all that fun divorce stuff.

I am finally about to move again and need a amp.

Sonically is there is difference between the different power ratings? 400 vs 600 vs 1500?

I also see 800w is listed only on the multi channel versions.... ?

I talked to Dennis a few years back and use old infinity kappa 8.1 speakers, someday I would like to upgrade to a better classic infinity Speaker however not sure which one that would be. Might be the 9.1's, renaissance or something in the IRS family thus leaning towards more power vs less.

Another question is since my speakers accept bi-amping, am I better off to say get a stereo m3-3000s (1500w x 2) to power both speakers or would two M3-1200s (600x2 per amp) be a better option? Speakers see similar power, just coming from a additional two channels of amp.

Back when I was married speakers were bi amend with paramount hca1500's and I wanted more power those were 200-250w a channel.
You should give Denis a call and discuss your needs with him. He can give you the best advice on which amp to buy.
post #1423 of 1432 Old 01-31-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There should not be. But, as already suggested, give Dennis a call and he'll tell you.

Quote:

Depends on the speakers - I assume you've listened to them not bi-amped, then bi-amped and you could hear a significant difference? If so, surely consider it - but I really don't think you need to get too radical!
post #1424 of 1432 Old 01-31-2017, 09:15 PM

Liked: 8
I will give him a call, I was hoping for a 3rd party opinion

Yes I have bi amped my speakers and also ran them normally. I also tried two different brands of amps and my brand of choice lost the comparison. It does sound better being bi amped. I wasn't sure if that was simply due to doubling the power or what.
post #1425 of 1432 Old 02-01-2017, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will give him a call, I was hoping for a 3rd party opinion

Yes I have bi amped my speakers and also ran them normally. I also tried two different brands of amps and my brand of choice lost the comparison. It does sound better being bi amped. I wasn't sure if that was simply due to doubling the power or what.
Well, I can't speak much to it as I don't do it. I'd wager the increased power could have some impact, don't know how much as far as sound quality at human listening levels, but I'd bet more on how the wiring arrangement is working with the crossovers. Not my area of expertise.
post #1426 of 1432 Old 02-20-2017, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm in the market for a powerful amp and have some pretty revealing power/current hungry speakers and really want to get this right without wasting anyone's time. Since i'm reading my speakers like 500 wpc min i'm pretty much left with class D if I don't want to mortgage my house. In the past a quality pair of speakers needed amplification costing as much or more to get the best sound out of them, do you guys thing class D and more specifically D-Sonic have the sound quality to throw that old rule out ? would Revel salon v1 driven by a pair of m-1500 monos sound as good as a ML 433? Is class D shortcomings of omission? Sibilance is the hardest distortion to ignore and the most prevalent in affordable audio. Hm
post #1427 of 1432 Old 02-20-2017, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My advice would be to focus upon the quality of your source devices. They will have far more impact on the ultimate quality of your sound than your choice of amplifier(s).

My D-Sonic amp puts out 1500 wpc and I have never experienced a scintilla of compromise or amplifier envy.

Excellent product with impeccable customer service should you ever need it.
post #1428 of 1432 Old 02-21-2017, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven59 View Post
I'm in the market for a powerful amp and have some pretty revealing power/current hungry speakers and really want to get this right without wasting anyone's time. Since i'm reading my speakers like 500 wpc min i'm pretty much left with class D if I don't want to mortgage my house. In the past a quality pair of speakers needed amplification costing as much or more to get the best sound out of them, do you guys thing class D and more specifically D-Sonic have the sound quality to throw that old rule out ? would Revel salon v1 driven by a pair of m-1500 monos sound as good as a ML 433? Is class D shortcomings of omission? Sibilance is the hardest distortion to ignore and the most prevalent in affordable audio. Hm
Or, save your self a few hundred and get the 2 x 1500w Stereo version?

Yes, class D amps have really evolved. I'm extremely pleased with the performance of my D-Sonic. I am the kind of person though that doesn't easily detect differences among amps and receivers, etc. Speakers, that's another story - and sounds like you've got some nice speakers. Sure, a lot of folks do indicate they can detect differences between amps, but best I can tell, the most obvious difference comes from tubes vs. solid state. Among solid states and well-designed amps, really not sure if people are hearing differences or if you can chalk that up to psycho-acoustics.

Myself, I prefer and required minimalism and efficiency, not a space heaters. I'm not slamming other designs that are obviously excellent quality and do what they are made to do, but I needed an amp with specific fitment requirements for my particular set up, enclosed AV cabinet, tight. D-Sonic was the answer in features, quality, size, and efficiency.

You can try the amp out, and if not happy, return it - granted, there is a fee, but D-Sonic is a small company. Dennis is great by the way, what was already stated - excellent customer service.
post #1429 of 1432 Old Today, 08:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven59 View Post
Check out this review:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...ier_Review.htm
post #1430 of 1432 Old Today, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I run class-d amps in my car as well. I have done comparisons between class D amps with high end a/b amps and I could not tell the difference in my car. At home I have very revealing and detailed speakers. I did not compare between class a/b and class d amps at my house but I did compare these amps to the hypex amps which are considered top notch class d amps. I preferred these. I felt the hypex amp made my speakers more sibilant and too forward for my liking, that was not the case with these. They are exceptional and you would be hard pressed to find this kind of power in this size.
post #1431 of 1432 Old Today, 08:50 AM
jlx

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
which hypex based amp and what speakers did you use in your a/b comparison ?

partially insane
post #1432 of 1432 Old Today, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlx View Post
which hypex based amp and what speakers did you use in your a/b comparison ?
NAD M22 amp using my Axiom Audio M80 v4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors