D-Sonic custom Audio amps - Page 49 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #1441 of 1453 Old 03-29-2017, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitop View Post
I know the ATI uses the n-core engine. I know the D-Sonic does not. I read that it might be the Pascal engine, but I am not too familiar with that. I don't know much about the Wired 4 Sound. You think it is supposed to be similar to the D-Sonic? Has the Wired 4 Sound been compared to the ATI?

My goal is to see if the best D class amplifiers sound equal to or hopefully better than my Arcam amp. I bought a Sunfire which is an H class amp if I'm not mistaken. I am waiting for a processor upgrade, but with my current processor, I don't like the Sunfire. Some people swear by it and don't want anything else. It's all personal.

I think I've got it down to the D-Sonic and the ATI, but not sure I'll ever be able to compare the two. D-Sonic is sold direct so you can't find a dealer that has both. D-Sonic is less expensive. It also has less warranty, and I would think less resale because ATI is well known.

In any case, D-Sonic is in the Houston area and so am I so I am going to listen to them.
I'm on the north side and I drove over to Sugar Land and met Dennis. He gave me a demo and we talked amp design. I'm now using a d-sonic in my theater with JTR speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 1453 Old 03-29-2017, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I'm on the north side and I drove over to Sugar Land and met Dennis. He gave me a demo and we talked amp design. I'm now using a d-sonic in my theater with JTR speakers.
I am also on the North side. Did you ever listen to the ATI before you purchased?
post #1443 of 1453 Old 03-29-2017, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitop View Post
I am also on the North side. Did you ever listen to the ATI before you purchased?
I don't think ATI was making a class d amp at that time. It was about 2 to 2.5 years ago. I had a sherbourne that was around 100 pounds. I wanted it gone as I have to pull out my rack to make changes and it was a pain to work with.

post #1444 of 1453 Old 03-29-2017, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post
I don't think ATI was making a class d amp at that time. It was about 2 to 2.5 years ago. I had a sherbourne that was around 100 pounds. I wanted it gone as I have to pull out my rack to make changes and it was a pain to work with.
It sounded as good as your Sherbourne? I'd love to find a way to compare it to an ATI but unless I can find someone with an ATI that wants to bring it to Dennis place when I go there, I don't think it's going to happen.
post #1445 of 1453 Old 03-29-2017, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
But I thought the D-Sonic amps were more similar to the Wired 4 Sound amps than the ATI... Can anyone clarify this for me please?
Wyred4Sound and D-Sonic used the same amps when they both were doing ICE amps from B&O. I don't know what Wyred4Sound is using now, but I believe they're using 3rd generation ICE amps. D-Sonic switched to Anaview and Pascal amps. I believe ATI is using NCore and my understanding is that NCore doesn't sound as good as Pascal, but I think that might be a subjective thing. I know Dennis has said in this thread that the Pascals were superior sounding to the ICE in his opinion and that's why he switched and that makes perfect sense. All of this has been discussed through the thread.

Diy Sound Group - Information & Tips
Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #1446 of 1453 Old 04-14-2017, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
Wyred4Sound and D-Sonic used the same amps when they both were doing ICE amps from B&O. I don't know what Wyred4Sound is using now, but I believe they're using 3rd generation ICE amps. D-Sonic switched to Anaview and Pascal amps. I believe ATI is using NCore and my understanding is that NCore doesn't sound as good as Pascal, but I think that might be a subjective thing. I know Dennis has said in this thread that the Pascals were superior sounding to the ICE in his opinion and that's why he switched and that makes perfect sense. All of this has been discussed through the thread.
Just for everyone's information, I recently bought the D-Sonic M3-1200-3, 1200 watt 3 channel amp, and it uses Pascal cores. The info is direct from Dennis at D-Sonic and if I'm not mistaken he told me he uses Pascals in all his amps these days since they simply sound better.

I have PSB Synchrony One speakers which are very good and very power hungry. They are 4 ohm and dip into the 2 ohm range. I also use Elac Uni-Fi UF5 towers which also respond well to good amplification. My stereo rig is powered by a DK Reference V2 hybrid amp so I have a good sense of what tubes mated with SS can sound like. And my opinion is that the D-Sonics quite smooth sounding.

Diana Krall's Love Scenes album is very well recorded but she is close miked to the point where sibilance can be a problem. My tube amp emphasizes this sibilance a bit more than the D-Sonic does.

Class D has come a long, long way, even from the days when Bang and Olufsen reigned. BTW, my understanding is the Pascal modules were designed by former B&O employees.

One more thing is that the input boards in the D-Sonics are designed by Dennis and an EE friend along with close collaboration from the Pascal folks. So the D-Sonics are more than plug and play items stuffed into a metal box.

I like what I've heard so far, but I'm still learning all the subtleties to the sound. My sources are an Oppo 105 or a Melco HA N1A. I also use a Light Harmonics or a Oppo Sonic DAC. Not Uber expensive stuff, but a very good and revealing system. My headphone rig costs more than my HT or stereo rigs, so I'm used to ultra revealing sound.

Hopefully this helps anybody on the fence make their decision. The days of live auditioning at the local HiFi shop seem to be gone except in small pockets of the country, so passing along good information on the various forums is the responsibility of us all, if we can, imo.
post #1447 of 1453 Old 04-14-2017, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
Just for everyone's information, I recently bought the D-Sonic M3-1200-3, 1200 watt 3 channel amp, and it uses Pascal cores. The info is direct from Dennis at D-Sonic and if I'm not mistaken he told me he uses Pascals in all his amps these days since they simply sound better.

I have PSB Synchrony One speakers which are very good and very power hungry. They are 4 ohm and dip into the 2 ohm range. I also use Elac Uni-Fi UF5 towers which also respond well to good amplification. My stereo rig is powered by a DK Reference V2 hybrid amp so I have a good sense of what tubes mated with SS can sound like. And my opinion is that the D-Sonics quite smooth sounding.

Diana Krall's Love Scenes album is very well recorded but she is close miked to the point where sibilance can be a problem. My tube amp emphasizes this sibilance a bit more than the D-Sonic does.

Class D has come a long, long way, even from the days when Bang and Olufsen reigned. BTW, my understanding is the Pascal modules were designed by former B&O employees.

One more thing is that the input boards in the D-Sonics are designed by Dennis and an EE friend along with close collaboration from the Pascal folks. So the D-Sonics are more than plug and play items stuffed into a metal box.

I like what I've heard so far, but I'm still learning all the subtleties to the sound. My sources are an Oppo 105 or a Melco HA N1A. I also use a Light Harmonics or a Oppo Sonic DAC. Not Uber expensive stuff, but a very good and revealing system. My headphone rig costs more than my HT or stereo rigs, so I'm used to ultra revealing sound.

Hopefully this helps anybody on the fence make their decision. The days of live auditioning at the local HiFi shop seem to be gone except in small pockets of the country, so passing along good information on the various forums is the responsibility of us all, if we can, imo.
post #1448 of 1453 Old 04-15-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by pageman99 View Post
My local dealer doesn't even have class D amps - only thing to audition is pricier A/B or tube stuff, the *cheap* stuff being Anthem or Parasound! I'm extremely pleased I went with the D-Sonic as a main amplifier. Not the cheapest of class D amps put there, certainly not the most expensive - I'd like to think Dennis truly offers one of the best bangs for the buck out there.

5.1.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofer:
SVS-SB13Ultra; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #1449 of 1453 Old 04-15-2017, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

There will always be big box stores that sell your big name brands like Klipsch, Polk, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, PSB etc. On the other end of that spectrum are the specialty stores that carry Krell, Lexicon, McIntosh etc and all the other unique expensive brands. Usually both will do custom installs at different levels and you wont find that from your ID companies. The great thing about ID (Emotiva, Outlaw, D-Sonic, Seaton etc) is that it's the most bang for buck for consumers and manufacturers and these appeal to the more DIY type enthusiast. It's great because it doesn't take a huge sales force and volume for these companies to survive and we have more options and unique products than ever.

Diy Sound Group - Information & Tips
Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 

Last edited by pgwalsh; 04-15-2017 at 02:54 PM.
post #1450 of 1453 Old 04-16-2017, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I want to get my hands on a pair of Dsonic M3-1500M monoblocks. Anyone else own a pair? If so, can you give your impressions of them.
post #1451 of 1453 Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Soon to be a new owner of an M3-5400 7 channel. I just boxed up and returned my Emotiva XPA7 gen3 and returned it. Thankfully I bought from Amazon and they accepted a full return 20 days past the 30 day return window.

Here is what I did not like about the Emo. I listen at high volume for brief periods. 115dB 120dB peaks. The Emotiva at that volume, 0mv, was strained and distorted. I thought something was wrong so I hooked up my INUKE NU4-6000 bridged in stereo @ 1250w rms and it sounded way better less strained and effortless. My second issue with the Emo was every channel was detected by YPAO as out of phase. All 7. That was not the case with the INUKE or when I ran RCA's to the Emo. Something is fishy with their XLR inputs. I called Emo and they said that is normal sounds like the amplifier is working fine. I smelt some BS. Right then I said I'm going to get the amp i wanted in the first place.

I am running Fusion 15's (99dB sensitivity). You would think the Emo would have got me there in two channel mode with 300wpc rms. It really disappointed me. The out of phase XLR issue put me over the top. I am amp-less now except for my INUKE which i have no complaints about except no Atmos untill my M3-5400 7 arrives.

Yamaha CX-A5100, Emotiva XPA-7 gen3, JTR Orbit Shifter LFU, LCR: DIYSG F-15 Sentinels, Surrounds: Tannoy 802's, Panasonic UB-900, 4k Gaming PC
post #1452 of 1453 Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Varner View Post
Soon to be a new owner of an M3-5400 7 channel. I just boxed up and returned my Emotiva XPA7 gen3 and returned it. Thankfully I bought from Amazon and they accepted a full return 20 days past the 30 day return window.

Here is what I did not like about the Emo. I listen at high volume for brief periods. 115dB 120dB peaks. The Emotiva at that volume, 0mv, was strained and distorted. I thought something was wrong so I hooked up my INUKE NU4-6000 bridged in stereo @ 1250w rms and it sounded way better less strained and effortless. My second issue with the Emo was every channel was detected by YPAO as out of phase. All 7. That was not the case with the INUKE or when I ran RCA's to the Emo. Something is fishy with their XLR inputs. I called Emo and they said that is normal sounds like the amplifier is working fine. I smelt some BS. Right then I said I'm going to get the amp i wanted in the first place.

I am running Fusion 15's (99dB sensitivity). You would think the Emo would have got me there in two channel mode with 300wpc rms. It really disappointed me. The out of phase XLR issue put me over the top. I am amp-less now except for my INUKE which i have no complaints about except no Atmos untill my M3-5400 7 arrives.
looking forward to hearing your impressions and review..
post #1453 of 1453 Old Today, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
A lot of amps invert phase, though it is odd Emo didn't correct that with the XLR inputs. Could also be the delay through the Emo amp is different enough to cause the phase change detected though that seems unlikely. As for clipping, any amp will clip if you need more power than it can provide. Though 300 W and 99 dB/W/m speakers should have blown you out of the room unless the speakers were far away and/or had severe impedance excursions. Like everyone else it will be nice to hear (read) what you think about the new amps. If those don't do it, there's always Gruppen...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors