D-Sonic custom Audio amps - Page 50 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes
post #1471 of 1482 Unread 05-22-2017, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Yes I did get the updated amplifier back and it is perfect. That slight "coldness" I was hearing with the highs is completely gone. The highs are still very crisp and clean. Dennis hit a home run with changes he made. I watched a couple movies with the old amp and it sounded awesome I had no complaints there. The newer version sounds awesome with music and movies. My sound stage sounds amazing and I am very pleased. I need a little more time to do some critical listening but that is my initial impression.
pgwalsh likes this.

Pre-Pro: Yamaha CX-A5100, Amp: D-Sonic M3-5400-7, Subs: 3 JTR Orbit Shifter LFU's, LCR: DIYSG F-15 Sentinels, Surrounds: Tannoy 802's, 4k player: Panasonic UB-900, 4k Gaming PC

Last edited by David Varner; 05-22-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 1482 Unread 05-22-2017, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Varner View Post
Yes I did get the updated amplifier back and it is perfect. That slight "coldness" I was hearing with the highs is completely gone. The highs are still very crisp and clean. Dennis hit a home run with changes he made. I watched a couple movies with the old amp and it sounded awesome I had no complaints there. The newer version sounds awesome with music and movies. My sound stage sounds amazing and I am very pleased. I need a little more time to do some critical listening but that is my initial impression.
Interesting!

I'm really happy with what I hear now, but if it could be better....... Though I'd have no way to compare other than by memory. Did Dennis detail exactly what he did to the amp - do you know if it's a modification, or different amp modules entirely?

Anyway, glad you are liking (loving?) it!!

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #1473 of 1482 Unread 05-22-2017, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Interesting!

I'm really happy with what I hear now, but if it could be better....... Though I'd have no way to compare other than by memory. Did Dennis detail exactly what he did to the amp - do you know if it's a modification, or different amp modules entirely?

Anyway, glad you are liking (loving?) it!!
I posted exactly what dennis e-mailed me a few posts back. I have no clue what he did. I wanted to open the old amp and take pics but i didnt feel right since I was sending it back.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Pre-Pro: Yamaha CX-A5100, Amp: D-Sonic M3-5400-7, Subs: 3 JTR Orbit Shifter LFU's, LCR: DIYSG F-15 Sentinels, Surrounds: Tannoy 802's, 4k player: Panasonic UB-900, 4k Gaming PC

post #1474 of 1482 Unread 05-22-2017, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Varner View Post
I posted exactly what dennis e-mailed me a few posts back. I have no clue what he did. I wanted to open the old amp and take pics but i didnt feel right since I was sending it back.
Understood!

I actually just called Dennis - so, it's a modification to the input buffer circuitry. I will not claim to understand what that means. BUT he did indicate that within a few weeks, he will likely make a more official announcement about it on the website. I think I'm going to have this done to my amp too. Just gotta figure out when a good time to do so will be to be without my system for a week or so....??

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #1475 of 1482 Unread 05-22-2017, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Understood!

I actually just called Dennis - so, it's a modification to the input buffer circuitry. I will not claim to understand what that means. BUT he did indicate that within a few weeks, he will likely make a more official announcement about it on the website. I think I'm going to have this done to my amp too. Just gotta figure out when a good time to do so will be to be without my system for a week or so....??
That's what I figured, but didn't know for sure. I've scoured the internet enough and have read that typically the only changes to a lot of class D modules are the input butter and that's where you can apply your signature sound. Glad to hear it's working out and can't wait to get one myself. I still have one of his old ICE 7 channels amps.

Diy Sound Group - Information & Tips
Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #1476 of 1482 Unread 05-22-2017, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
That's what I figured, but didn't know for sure. I've scoured the internet enough and have read that typically the only changes to a lot of class D modules are the input butter and that's where you can apply your signature sound. Glad to hear it's working out and can't wait to get one myself. I still have one of his old ICE 7 channels amps.
And I don't know the specifics, but there is a certain point (age) at which the current modification can't be done. One would have to call Dennis to find out of their age of amp can be done or not. Fortunately, mine is new enough (year old), so I can get the mod. done.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #1477 of 1482 Unread 05-22-2017, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And I don't know the specifics, but there is a certain point (age) at which the current modification can't be done. One would have to call Dennis to find out of their age of amp can be done or not. Fortunately, mine is new enough (year old), so I can get the mod. done.
I know my old one can't and I wouldn't send it to him anyway since I'm in New Zealand and the shipping would be ridiculous. However I do plan to buy a couple amps this year from him. I have a friend in Mountain View, California (my old stomping grounds) that bought a 3 channel M3, after some pushing, and he may have to send his in.

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. 
post #1478 of 1482 Unread 05-23-2017, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
I know my old one can't and I wouldn't send it to him anyway since I'm in New Zealand and the shipping would be ridiculous. However I do plan to buy a couple amps this year from him. I have a friend in Mountain View, California (my old stomping grounds) that bought a 3 channel M3, after some pushing, and he may have to send his in.
Ha! I'm in the Mountain View area, family used to live there prior to my existence back when it was a podunk.

Mains:
ATMOS:
Subwoofers:
post #1479 of 1482 Unread 05-23-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ha! I'm in the Mountain View area, family used to live there prior to my existence back when it was a podunk.
I actually grew-up in the Menlo Park/Atherton area, but went down to the Irish pubs on Castro street all the time, even before I was legal. It was a lot easier to get away with back in the day.
Jonas2 likes this.

post #1480 of 1482 Unread Yesterday, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 102
I am looking for a new stereo amp and have the D-SONIC and the NORD ONE SE on radar.

Has anybody been able to compare between these 2 brands? My main concern is music.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #1481 of 1482 Unread Today, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post
I am looking for a new stereo amp and have the D-SONIC and the NORD ONE SE on radar.

Has anybody been able to compare between these 2 brands? My main concern is music.
Gonna be very difficult to get a comparison with the new modifications and a specific amp. I think i'm the first official customer to get it. I think the only way thats gonna happen is if you fly to D-sonic in Texas and bring your amp or just buy the D-Sonic and possibly return it if you dont like it. Which I very highly doubt.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

post #1482 of 1482 Unread Today, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

I think any comparison will be subjective as they're both going to be very clean (low distortion) amplifiers. The Nord is running Hpyex modules and D-Sonic is running Pascal. Searching the internet you'll find people that really like both.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors