D-Sonic custom Audio amps - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 67Likes

post #1621 of 1628 Old 09-23-2017, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster01 View Post
Just checking out purchasing a 7-channel 3A to replace my 10 year old NAD T-973. Does it require a '20-amp circuit'? I use a Furman voltage regulator for protection/voltage stabilization for my system. I see they have 2-power inputs in back- but mention the other is optional for 'professional installation'. Anyone go from a NAD and able to comment on any listening difference (Highs-mids-lows)? My NAD has been excellent performer and powers Magnepan 1.7is with ease- but always interested in finding something better since I'm on 'the upgrade road'.
I can't comment on a NAD comparison but I am sure you don't need a 20 amp circuit even though it would be a good idea. Also depends on The configuration you get. The 5400-7 should probably have a dedicated 20 amp even though I have no problems with my 5400-7 plugged in to a UPS/surgeprotector with 5 other things plugged in and I crank it to refenence and above regularly. These are very efficient amps.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Pre-Pro: Yamaha CX-A5100, Amp: D-Sonic M3-5400-7, Subs: 3 JTR Orbit Shifter LFU's, LCR: DIYSG F-15 Sentinels, Surrounds: Tannoy 802's, 4k player: Panasonic UB-900, 4k Gaming PC

Last edited by David Varner; 09-23-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1628 Old 09-24-2017, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Varner View Post
I can't comment on a NAD comparison but I am sure you don't need a 20 amp circuit even though it would be a good idea. Also depends on The configuration you get. The 5400-7 should probably have a dedicated 20 amp even though I have no problems with my 5400-7 plugged in to a UPS/surgeprotector with 5 other things plugged in and I crank it to refenence and above regularly. These are very efficient amps.

Thanks for confirmation- I wasn't absolute sure by how things were worded on the site. I'd be getting the 'base 400' 7 - channel at that.
post #1623 of 1628 Old 09-25-2017, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question Pair with a OPPO 205?

Have any of you used the amp, with the OPPO 205 (via XLR) for Stereo listening ? hows the quality and any problems or concerns?
Im thinking of ordering one and couldn't find a lot of info in the web to make the firm call.
Thanks,
DK

post #1624 of 1628 Old 09-26-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanula6688 View Post
Have any of you used the amp, with the OPPO 205 (via XLR) for Stereo listening ? hows the quality and any problems or concerns?
Im thinking of ordering one and couldn't find a lot of info in the web to make the firm call.
Thanks,
DK
Just call Dennis directly!

I don't have a 205 paired via XLR, just a 203 via HDMI to my AVM, but AVM is XLR'd to the amp. Sounds great to me! Are you just thinking about one of the stereo amps?

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #1625 of 1628 Old 10-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanula6688 View Post
Thanks,
DK
Call Dennis likes to chat and he's a nice guy. I couldn't get him off the phone last time I called him.

Pre-Pro: Yamaha CX-A5100, Amp: D-Sonic M3-5400-7, Subs: 3 JTR Orbit Shifter LFU's, LCR: DIYSG F-15 Sentinels, Surrounds: Tannoy 802's, 4k player: Panasonic UB-900, 4k Gaming PC
post #1626 of 1628 Old 10-17-2017, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 2701 Post(s)
Liked: 2541
I am in the process of upgrading/refreshing my media room. Speaker setup is now 9.1.6. (All Mirage). I originally was using a rack of Crown X/XLi series amplifiers for 7.1. The X4000 was plenty of power for my Mirage OMD-28s (6ohm nominal, dips under 4ohms). I bought a pair of Emotiva XPA-1s but someone locally suggested I try a Citation 7.1 which is bridgeable and stable below 2ohms. Not only was the Citation a step up from the Crown, but designer/manufacturer Stephen Mantz of Zed Audio was local. I ended up rescuing more Citation 7.1 & 5.1s. S.Mantz even rebuilt a blown 7.1 from scratch, basically (stripping the boards and rebuilding). When I added WIDES to my setup I no longer had enough channels of amplification with the Citations. I have been discussing a D-Sonic w/Dennis for a few weeks now. Unfortunately, I missed out on @audioguy 's before he changed his mind on the sale.

My budget has changed significantly vs 2 years ago. I want to make sure I have the amplification needed to handle soundtrack dynamics with the insensitive Mirages (I am married to the Mirages). I found an Earthquake Cinenova Grande 7 locally (a price I couldn't refuse). I'm not sure the Cinenova will be optimal for my mains (I'd like to feed them 600W each). I went ahead and ordered a pair of 600W monoblocks from Dennis. I plan to power the mains w/D-Sonic (if they are an upgrade over the Cinenova). But part of me wants to just go with the ATI Signature 6002 and be done with it.

I will continue using the Citations for the HEIGHTS and the Cinenova for the Center and Surrounds.

Sorry for the long backstory. My question to the D-Sonic owners is in regards to the amps you used prior to the D-Sonics and the differences you noted. If any have specifically heard the Cinenova or ATI Signature I am really interested in your impressions.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 10-17-2017 at 02:18 PM.
post #1627 of 1628 Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Cool D-Sonic is far superior to all my older amps

Hello all,

Over a few decades I progressed from more humble audio beginnings as I started to gravitate toward top of the line
Receivers/ Tuners/ Preamps which were still made in Japan. Quite awhile back, while Circuit City was going out of
business, I bought a whole load of amps/ equipment from them, Audiogon, & others (Amps & such). I used equipment
from Krell, McIntosh, Monster, Yamaha, Denon, Primare, Pioneer, Energy, & finally Martin Logan. While using more
traditional amps that weighed up to 110 pounds a piece & ate tons of electrons, I found that my 250 Watt per Channel
Monster amps drove my Energy Veritas AVS system the best.

Even though I had toyed with Magnepan, it was not until I bought Martin Logan Summits, that I really could appreciate
the best sources at that time (SACD, DVD-A). I then hurt my back (had a spine fusion), moved, & downsized a bit. At that time Pioneer was
starting to use the ICE amp in their Receivers, and I then found Dennis & D-Sonic on the net. I then bought a 3-channel
ICE based amp from Dennis & had it ever since. It is an older configuration, the M2-1500-3 THREE CHANNEL AMPLIFIER
3 x 525w/8Ω,watts per channel @ 8 ohms, but boy did they easily drive the Martin Logans (which do have 2 powered sub-woofers each)! I found that this little & light d-sonic box blew away all my heavy & name brand equipment. I also found that a good 2-channel system blew away multichannel.

Now, one of my Martin Logan Summits is defective, so I am using a Summit plus a ML Center for two channel.
I refuse to pay more thousands of $ to Martin Logan for their rather overpriced stuff & am now waiting on
Axiom M100's B-stock to arrive. My plan is to use the ML subwoofers, while doing 2-channel with the Axioms.
Axiom is yet another company that is a pleasure to deal with & they make their products in Canada.

Since the Axioms are made by the same people as Bryston, they should be good, but I think they are 89 db & have
3 woofers each (& double the other drivers). I am rather confident that my old D-Sonic can drive them, but based on many of the comments
on this thread, I am tempted to get their new higher powered Pascal Monoblocks.

Since my first D-sonic was a bargain 3-channel B-stock at a cost of less than one new 1,500 watt Monoblock, it does give me pause. I think
that I will ultimately get them more as a future amp back-up, than as a real need. I think that Dennis is unique
in this field as putting out a high end, powerful, light weight, amp, at great prices.

Finding ample clean power in amp is hard to do. I still remember being horrified that my pricey McIntosh Home Theater 5-channel 100
watt per channel @ 8ohms (200 watts @4) amp, was clipping at home theatre listening levels in a small apt. living room
running Monitor Audio's Silver 3-way speakers. I later sold that piece of "junk" plus other overpriced brand name stuff
to other so-called Audiophiles who pay way too much for a "name".

Incidentally, I found that as you increase the number of separate amps & components in your system, the more chance you
have of either ground loops and/or power slumps. I solved much of my prior ground loop hum, by running ground wires from
the chassis of all the components to a common ground on a Monster power bank. I used to troubleshoot ground loop problems
when I did Intra-op Brain-wave (Evoked Potential ) research in the OR. Ground-loops & other noise often
could swamp the microvolt signals that I needed to pick up from the brain (e.g. B.A.E.R.). Getting the signal from
the noise needed signal averaging, FFT signal filtering, & other tech, to be able to literally save lives via real time
feedback.

Many of the same physical principles can apply to signals in the audio domain, as well as, some perceptual / Psychological/ Biological
Psychoacoustic ones. As you get up to a certain age, inevitable high frequency hearing loss, further limits your perception,
so high frequency becomes less of a factor (or you need to boast it way up to hear it).

As oppose to the medical field, there is very little evidence based, double blind, placebo controlled studies that support
many of the myths surrounding Audiophile "opinions". Much of the theoretical differences between amps either cannot be
perceived or may not play a big role in enjoyment in real world uses. Indeed, in some situations, like when I have a noisy
commercial fan cooling me during a hot day in the summer, my Samsung TV speakers [a D-amp] set at loud/ high treble/ dialog, are
easier to listen to than my high end AV system. For sure, it is optimized for dialog and the news, but sometimes, I forget
to switch over & do not notice till a movie has low frequency "booms".

While I do use some "common sense" Physics in my set-up (e.g. keeping cable runs short, low gauge, & shielded), I tend to
shy away from stuff that is/or could be utter nonsense (i.e.. optical cables with gold plated connectors). I am always amazed
by audiophiles that see not problem with paying hundreds of dollars for a simple AC plug, while they have no clue as to what
their AC wiring is doing inside the wall (e.g. ground loops).

In short, after all my experiences, I find that Dennis's D-Sonic Amps are fantastic in every way.
I am hoping that between my age related hearing loss, the multiple drivers in the M100, and the clean power
of the D-Sonic's, will still keep me happy...while not breaking my back...again.
Jonas2 likes this.
post #1628 of 1628 Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 368
@pmalarik

So what you're saying is you're not going to drop $20K on some mind blowing audio cables? But but you're going to miss out on so much of that detail, you really can hear the difference. /facetious

D-Sonic is definitely good on the wallet for the power you get. I'm just about to start building my Statement II's and will either go with D-Sonic amp or possibly Nord Acoustic amplifier (n500 based). Both are class D and while I am interested in some other amps in that price range these are my top contenders. I have no way to audition them, so it's solely by the numbers and subjective reviews. I do have a 7 Channel D-Sonic amp, but it's an older model that has ICE modules, it's fine for home theater use and would never consider replacing it.

Speaking of 2 channel, I've become a fan of Schiit gear recently because of price/performance and the general openness of the founders. They offer great bang for the buck to get you into audinarvana.

Cheers

Peter

Builds: Maelstrom 21 Ottoman Build, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, SEOS-12/TD12M x 5. Home Theater
On-deck: Finalists, The AviaTrix (soundbar), Statement II's, UM18x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page