D-Sonic custom Audio amps - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 66Likes

post #1621 of 1626 Old 09-23-2017, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster01 View Post
Just checking out purchasing a 7-channel 3A to replace my 10 year old NAD T-973. Does it require a '20-amp circuit'? I use a Furman voltage regulator for protection/voltage stabilization for my system. I see they have 2-power inputs in back- but mention the other is optional for 'professional installation'. Anyone go from a NAD and able to comment on any listening difference (Highs-mids-lows)? My NAD has been excellent performer and powers Magnepan 1.7is with ease- but always interested in finding something better since I'm on 'the upgrade road'.
I can't comment on a NAD comparison but I am sure you don't need a 20 amp circuit even though it would be a good idea. Also depends on The configuration you get. The 5400-7 should probably have a dedicated 20 amp even though I have no problems with my 5400-7 plugged in to a UPS/surgeprotector with 5 other things plugged in and I crank it to refenence and above regularly. These are very efficient amps.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Pre-Pro: Yamaha CX-A5100, Amp: D-Sonic M3-5400-7, Subs: 3 JTR Orbit Shifter LFU's, LCR: DIYSG F-15 Sentinels, Surrounds: Tannoy 802's, 4k player: Panasonic UB-900, 4k Gaming PC

Last edited by David Varner; 09-23-2017 at 06:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1626 Old 09-24-2017, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Varner View Post
I can't comment on a NAD comparison but I am sure you don't need a 20 amp circuit even though it would be a good idea. Also depends on The configuration you get. The 5400-7 should probably have a dedicated 20 amp even though I have no problems with my 5400-7 plugged in to a UPS/surgeprotector with 5 other things plugged in and I crank it to refenence and above regularly. These are very efficient amps.

Thanks for confirmation- I wasn't absolute sure by how things were worded on the site. I'd be getting the 'base 400' 7 - channel at that.
post #1623 of 1626 Old 09-25-2017, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question Pair with a OPPO 205?

Have any of you used the amp, with the OPPO 205 (via XLR) for Stereo listening ? hows the quality and any problems or concerns?
Im thinking of ordering one and couldn't find a lot of info in the web to make the firm call.
Thanks,
DK

post #1624 of 1626 Old 09-26-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanula6688 View Post
Have any of you used the amp, with the OPPO 205 (via XLR) for Stereo listening ? hows the quality and any problems or concerns?
Im thinking of ordering one and couldn't find a lot of info in the web to make the firm call.
Thanks,
DK
Just call Dennis directly!

I don't have a 205 paired via XLR, just a 203 via HDMI to my AVM, but AVM is XLR'd to the amp. Sounds great to me! Are you just thinking about one of the stereo amps?

5.2.4 System....Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60; Power Distribution: Panamax M5400-PM;
Mains:
Paradigm 85F and 55C (Piano Black); Side Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III (Dusk); Amplification: D-Sonic M3-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w);
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Sony BDP S-470, Pioneer CLD-59
post #1625 of 1626 Old 10-04-2017, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanula6688 View Post
Thanks,
DK
Call Dennis likes to chat and he's a nice guy. I couldn't get him off the phone last time I called him.

Pre-Pro: Yamaha CX-A5100, Amp: D-Sonic M3-5400-7, Subs: 3 JTR Orbit Shifter LFU's, LCR: DIYSG F-15 Sentinels, Surrounds: Tannoy 802's, 4k player: Panasonic UB-900, 4k Gaming PC
post #1626 of 1626 Old Today, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 2699 Post(s)
Liked: 2538
I am in the process of upgrading/refreshing my media room. Speaker setup is now 9.1.6. (All Mirage). I originally was using a rack of Crown X/XLi series amplifiers for 7.1. The X4000 was plenty of power for my Mirage OMD-28s (6ohm nominal, dips under 4ohms). I bought a pair of Emotiva XPA-1s but someone locally suggested I try a Citation 7.1 which is bridgeable and stable below 2ohms. Not only was the Citation a step up from the Crown, but designer/manufacturer Stephen Mantz of Zed Audio was local. I ended up rescuing more Citation 7.1 & 5.1s. S.Mantz even rebuilt a blown 7.1 from scratch, basically (stripping the boards and rebuilding). When I added WIDES to my setup I no longer had enough channels of amplification with the Citations. I have been discussing a D-Sonic w/Dennis for a few weeks now. Unfortunately, I missed out on @audioguy 's before he changed his mind on the sale.

My budget has changed significantly vs 2 years ago. I want to make sure I have the amplification needed to handle soundtrack dynamics with the insensitive Mirages (I am married to the Mirages). I found an Earthquake Cinenova Grande 7 locally (a price I couldn't refuse). I'm not sure the Cinenova will be optimal for my mains (I'd like to feed them 600W each). I went ahead and ordered a pair of 600W monoblocks from Dennis. I plan to power the mains w/D-Sonic (if they are an upgrade over the Cinenova). But part of me wants to just go with the ATI Signature 6002 and be done with it.

I will continue using the Citations for the HEIGHTS and the Cinenova for the Center and Surrounds.

Sorry for the long backstory. My question to the D-Sonic owners is in regards to the amps you used prior to the D-Sonics and the differences you noted. If any have specifically heard the Cinenova or ATI Signature I am really interested in your impressions.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; Today at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page