Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 33 Old 08-18-2010, 02:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

I disagree with some of what you say. I think the most important item in a home theater is the amplifier. A good amp will make bad speakers sound good. The pre/pro's are a different story because a lot of the top pre/pro's use the same DSP chips.

So if a good amp will make bad speakers sound good, then what does a good amp do for great speakers? I would argue that the gain is greater when resources are allocated to the speakers if there are not enough to buy both great speakers and a good amp. The quality of the amplifier does make a difference, but it is arguably less of a difference than a set of good speakers. I know someone else already mentioned this, but I will second it - focusing on a good set of speakers and a good DAC will deliver more benefits to the sound than just buying a good amplifier.

As far as the thread is concerned. I own a Sherbourn LDS 12/900 and it is wonderful sounding. I'm very impressed with it. I'm using a Rega Planet CD player, Anthem AVM20, and 100db @ 1w/1m full range single driver speakers. Because of their efficiency, I can hear ever detail in the system. It makes it easy to hear differences in gear changes, and interconnect quality. Shortly after getting the speakers, I tossed the Monster Cable interconnects and replaced them with solid silver ones. It was as audible as getting a new piece of gear- specifically in the vocal frequencies. I gained more range on the lower vocal frequencies instantly. I considered that I could be just imagining it, but my parents can hear it and they are approaching 70yrs old. Consequently, my mother commissioned me to do the same for her audio system. My point is this... with the ok speakers that I had prior (Kef q80's), I could hear the difference, but with my new set of speakers, it was entirely obvious. With a poor set of speakers, I suspect that the difference would be less obvious - even with a good amplifier. Because the difference is so audible, I have since constructed all of my own interconnects using silver wire, in addition to making my own power cords as well. It really makes a difference and that difference is audible with good speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 08-18-2010, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought 1 7/2100A new from a CT dealer near New Haven a few years ago, and as I accumulated pre-pros, I bought 2 used 7/1200's from audiogon and ebay as they popped up. I figure they haven't given me any trouble over the years and the are built (and weigh!) like a tank,as a previous poster has said.
post #33 of 33 Old 02-01-2013, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Silly question for all. I have two Sherbourn's ; 7x 150 and a 2x160. The blue lights on my 2x160 are much brighter then the lights on the other amp. Is there a way to turn down the brightness of the lights. I do know that I can turn off the channel lights (not the power light)

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page