"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #271 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
More aspirin indeed. What irks me so much is that we're the folks shelling out the bucks to be early adopters and help sustain these new formats, and what's our reward? We follow the figurative carrot that never leads anywhere. If I end up with two players that, when all is said and done, can't utilize all the advanced audio codecs, I'm going to be more than a little upset. I mean, I'm $1,200 into these formats just on the player end! Dammit, I want my little TrueHD and DTS-HD logos lighting up! (Am I the only one that finds that gratifying?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Yes it will passed as PCM to the receiver and you can apply post processing on top of it.

What exactly would this post processing entail, and what would be the benefit of it?

Also, am I correct in thinking that DD+ is NOT available over SPDIF?

(swallows handful of aspirin)

Blu-Ray: 489
HD DVD: 187
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by win200 View Post

What exactly would this post processing entail, and what would be the benefit of it?

Also, am I correct in thinking that DD+ is NOT available over SPDIF?

(swallows handful of aspirin)

Post processing is taking a 5.1 source such as MPCM and processing it to achieve 7.1 by added DSP's such as Dolby prologic IIx on top of it.

You are correct you cannot achieve DD+ over SPDIF.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #273 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

Except for bitstream as advertised.

Don't remind me.

post #274 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 06:16 PM

Yea, I do find it gratifying to see DD+, TrueHD and HD-MA logos light up, but since NO player can output bitstream of any next gen formats, I'm sticking to my 604 right now until everything is worked out. To answer the other guys question about 5.1-7.1 PCM matrixing, it takes the 5.1 PCM signal and uses Dolby Pro Logic IIx or DTS Neo:6 to enable all 7.1 channels. To answer the other guys question, it looks like the PS3 and XA2 are the most likely to receive firmware updates to enable DTS-HD MA internal decoding and bitstreaming of all next gen formats because: 1: The XA2 is currently the ONLY HD DVD player to support HDMI 1.3, and therefore would be the only one to benefit from the upgrade of bitstream of TrueHD, DD+ and DTS HD and HD-MA. 2: Sony will update the PS3 because it currently is the BD player that is in the most houses, and therefore more people would benefit from it. Also, Sony probably wants to enable bitstreaming to try to move more PS3s to get back into the videogame console wars, because the PS3's sales are extremly lagging behind those of the Wii and Xbox 360.

Dual format supporter, but I prefer Blu-ray
Toshiba, fix the Ultimate Matrix Collection problems!!!
post #275 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohn29 View Post

2: Sony will update the PS3 because it currently is the BD player that is in the most houses, and therefore more people would benefit from it. Also, Sony probably wants to enable bitstreaming to try to move more PS3s to get back into the videogame console wars, because the PS3's sales are extremly lagging behind those of the Wii and Xbox 360.

I'm not too sure about this, it is rumored that the silicon hdmi chip used in the PS3 may be incapable of supporting this. I guess time will tell.

post #276 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthas76 View Post

i can definitely attest to the weight and girth of the 805...looking in the top u can see the massive power transformers. and it definitely has more power than my denon (its 12 pounds heavier, so it should)

as for the sounds, like i said before, its brighter but more detailed and w/ more separation. i dont really believe receivers have a "burn in" period that greatly affects the sound quality. i do like the sound very much so far tho.

any pics ?
post #277 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by javry View Post

Found this on Cnet today for all you Onkyo users: here

is'nt xe1 is europen version, with pal/ntsc capability? and $1200 does not sound reasonable price to me
post #278 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 07:39 PM

I got around to taking pictures of my new Onkyo TX-SR805-based home theater in the family room. I was watching Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny while taking the pictures (DTS ES sounded great btw). We're doing a true home theater in the basement, but odds are that wont be based on the 805. But I digress. Here they are for all who are curious.

The Room:

The Components

The Onkyo TX-SR805

I am far from a professional photographer so I am sorry for the lacklustre quality in the pictures, but I hoped it helped for those who wanted some pics. Just tell me what else you would like to see picture wise and I'll try to snap a few more.
post #279 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

For those of you with Harmony remotes, (mine is the 880), the 805s defaults in the Harmony software is as follows;

CBL/SAT input is labled Video2
VCR/DVR input is labled Video1
GAME/TV input is labled Video3

I realize this seems simple, but if you knew how long it took me to nail this down, I should get a medal!

You posted a couple of hours too late! It wasn't too bad though. I had the 805 added as a device before setting up activities so I just pushed video input on the harmony and then wrote down which input it went to on the reciever.

Also, Video4 is AUX1.
post #280 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The 4306 has a good amplifier but the 805 looks very strong judging by its published output power specs...

Regarding other features such as DSP and HDMI, the triple TI DSPs of the 805 is more powerful than the ADI sharcs in the 4306..

Also the Denon AVR-4306 uses Burr Brown PCM1791 and the Onkyo TX-SR805 uses PCM1796. On paper the 1796 seems to be a slightly better dac, probably won't make much of a difference in real world perfomance. The 1796 has better dynamic range (123db vs. 113db) and better THD+N (0.0005% vs. 0.001%). agin, probably means nothing.

post #281 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanraf View Post

I got around to taking pictures of my new Onkyo TX-SR805-based home theater in the family room. I was watching Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny while taking the pictures (DTS ES sounded great btw). We're doing a true home theater in the basement, but odds are that wont be based on the 805. But I digress. Here they are for all who are curious.

The Room:

The Components

The Onkyo TX-SR805

I am far from a professional photographer so I am sorry for the lacklustre quality in the pictures, but I hoped it helped for those who wanted some pics. Just tell me what else you would like to see picture wise and I'll try to snap a few more.

Nice shots. Dude, did I see a VCR in one of those pics .

post #282 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I am getting my Tosh 57HM167 DLP delivered tomorrow. I have the XA2 in the Amazon box still, and reading this thread, I want the 805 now! I have the 604, but that was just a stop gap to use with my A2 when I got it a few months back. 10-1 says I order that bad boy before the nights over reading this thread and tossing back a few cool ones. I was trying to wait a bit until my local big box got it, but I don't think I can wait for that (if they even get it)

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

post #283 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Nice shots. Dude, did I see a VCR in one of those pics .

Yes you did. I'm too lazy to convert my old home movies to DVD, despite having the equipment to do it. So, I keep one around for when we have company over and we want to show the old home movies. Might I add that Neural THX 7.1 did wonders for VHS audio. I ran my old Star Wars Episode V Special Edition VHS out of curiosity. and it sounded fantastic.
post #284 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Star Wars Episode VII? Can I get a copy of that?
post #285 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 09:49 PM

Well I can only do this from afar but my wife managed to get all the cables and equipment from our old rack into the new one and after some instructions from me over the phone was able to make all the appropriate connections and set up the speakers. I'm that good....all from 8000 miles away. She gets all the credit but as soon as she was done all she could tell me was how awesome it sounded and how good our DVD's looked running through it. She kept going on about the sound and when asked she said she heard absolutely no popping sounds. She invited her friends over to listen and informed me that they too were impressed with how "crystel clear" the sound was as she put it. Now all I have to do it wait until Novemeber when I come home for my 15 days leave so I can tie wrap all the cords and make it pretty.
post #286 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by OIFVET View Post

Well I can only do this from afar but my wife managed to get all the cables and equipment from our old rack into the new one and after some instructions from me over the phone was able to make all the appropriate connections and set up the speakers. I'm that good....all from 8000 miles away. She gets all the credit but as soon as she was done all she could tell me was how awesome it sounded and how good our DVD's looked running through it. She kept going on about the sound and when asked she said she heard absolutely no popping sounds. She invited her friends over to listen and informed me that they too were impressed with how "crystel clear" the sound was as she put it. Now all I have to do it wait until Novemeber when I come home for my 15 days leave so I can tie wrap all the cords and make it pretty.

What didi you have before the 805?

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

post #287 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

Some caveats: The little "enter" button on the supplied remote is too sensitive. I have wasted two complete Audyssey measurement sessions because when I went to push enter, it accidently went to cancel instead. It takes about 40 minutes to do a 6 position measurement with 7.1 speakers. You can imagine how frustrating that is. Normally, I use the supplied remote to do all the setup stuff, because the buttons are labeled already etc. etc. But in this case I have found the correct key on my Harmony 880 and am using that to press enter. SO far so good.

Another remote issue is not the fault of the 805, but my Harmony remote software. Has anyone figured out (if you have a Harmony remote) which inputs are Video 1, Video 2, 3 and 4 are? Jeez, it's hit and miss right now with my Harmony, but for the most part, it does what I need it to.

I just deleted or renamed all the inputs Logitech had for the receiver to the ones on the remote. Then just pressed the buttons to have the harmony learn the keys.
post #288 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hmmm, just wondering out loud here, but . . . . . . .

Everyone is only talking about DVD players and getting the DD HD or DTS HD MA out of them, but can't. So maybe, just MAYBE . . . . . DirecTV and the cable companies might be the ones to deliver unto us the ability to light those purdy DD HD and DTS HD MA lights on the 805? What I mean, is as its been beaten to death how the players MUST do the decoding due to studio intent, maybe it will soon be the HD TV stations, and newer equipment that support HDMI 1.3, that will use the recievers for decoding???? Just a thought. but I think could be in the future for us. After all, I don't think there is a set top box yet that decodes the audio, is there?

And now for 2 other questions concerning my new Panasonic 58PZ700U plasma:

1) has anyone seen or knows if it will do the 1080p/24? And as was mentioned, then 805 does pass that through

2) has anyone with the 805 (or even the 605) tried using their TV's internal speakers as the front channel? Would the 805 blow them out? I live in an apartment, so never get a chance anyway to test the limits I also ask this question because my old 1st gen JVC HD-ILA actually had the option to use its speakers as the center channel in an HT setup. Would sure free up my Definative front to be used as a mono rear surround to make my system a 6.1

Lastly, has any of you ever looked at, or tried the Definative Mythos series of tower speakers? I totally LOVE mine!!!!!!! At my 2nd to last apartment back in CA, I had a complete set of the old Energy Connesuer (sp?) series speakers. For the fronts I have the C8, a matching center, and dipolar rears. But when I bought a condo (before forced by job to move to Texas), the C8's were just too huge to be placed out in the open area where I set up the TV. I found these Definative Mythos One towers to not only work great, but because how elegant they looked, and how slim they were, they were not an eyesore sitting out in the open. And though not as huge as the Energy C8's, they put out just fine.
post #289 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Going to pick mine up from CC tomorrow.
Right now I have a Marantz SR9200-No HDMI.
I am satisfied with Uncompressed PCM from my PS3 until Sony fixes the bitstream output issue.
Now, I should get TrueHD right? The PS3 will decode and send out via PCM?
I will post pics after setup...
post #290 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know I said I would post some pics, so here they are. This is my current setup.
I will post some of the 805 tomorrow.

Theater Room

AV Rack

Back of room

DVD Collection

HD Movie Collection

Screen Shot
post #291 of 23268 Old 06-08-2007, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

I have got the 805 hooked up and working even went out and bought a 12ft optical cable to just barely reach my cable box.

I have one problem my sub (its a powered sub Onkyo SKW-320 dual driver) keeps going on and off I have changed the settings on the sub doesn't help and when its on theres sometimes when it hurts my ears not loud wise not even sure if its a sound but its like if you connected headphones to the L and R analog outs of a VCR (I have done this). It could be the other speakers don't know, Neither of my parents notice it and didn't happen with my previous Onkyo receiver TX-SV424 (the 805 is much harder to setup than that was). Any suggestions in how to fix this or appropriate settings?
post #292 of 23268 Old 06-09-2007, 01:32 AM

Oh Sorry..I upgraded from a TX-DS787
post #293 of 23268 Old 06-09-2007, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGRSBSKIER View Post

I have got the 805 hooked up and working even went out and bought a 12ft optical cable to just barely reach my cable box.

I have one problem my sub (its a powered sub Onkyo SKW-320 dual driver) keeps going on and off I have changed the settings on the sub doesn't help and when its on theres sometimes when it hurts my ears not loud wise not even sure if its a sound but its like if you connected headphones to the L and R analog outs of a VCR (I have done this). It could be the other speakers don't know, Neither of my parents notice it and didn't happen with my previous Onkyo receiver TX-SV424 (the 805 is much harder to setup than that was). Any suggestions in how to fix this or appropriate settings?

Try sending a full (+10?) signal to the sub out of the receiver, and adjust the gain on the sub instead of the receiver. If the sub kicks on automtically, it may not be getting enough of a signal from the receiver.

A man meets a genie. The genie tells him he can ask for whatever he wants, but his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets. The man says give me a million dollars and beat me till I'm half dead.
post #294 of 23268 Old 06-09-2007, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post

I know I said I would post some pics, so here they are. This is my current setup.
I will post some of the 805 tomorrow.

Theater Room

AV Rack

Back of room

DVD Collection

HD Movie Collection

Screen Shot

Wow, nice equipment. I think it's time you upgrade to a "bigger room."

A man meets a genie. The genie tells him he can ask for whatever he wants, but his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets. The man says give me a million dollars and beat me till I'm half dead.
post #295 of 23268 Old 06-09-2007, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

2) has anyone with the 805 (or even the 605) tried using their TV's internal speakers as the front channel? Would the 805 blow them out?

Your AVR won't control the built in speakers with your tv. You'd have to use the volume control on the tv remote for volume. Then it's a mute issue - you won't blow the tv speakers with the internal tv's amp.

Why not just get a second matching center channel for the rear?

post #296 of 23268 Old 06-09-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post

Star Wars Episode VII? Can I get a copy of that?

I was tired when I posted that. I meant Episode V: The Empire Strikes Backs.
post #297 of 23268 Old 06-09-2007, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was tired when I posted that. I meant Episode V: The Empire Strike Backs.

I too haven't gotten much sleep since my Onkyo showed up .

Seanraf, did you notice any faint popping noise coming from your speakers?

post #298 of 23268 Old 06-09-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:

I too haven't gotten much sleep since my Onkyo showed up .

Seanraf, did you notice any faint popping noise coming from your speakers?

I've been trying to keep an ear out for that. So far, I haven't noticed anything. What exactly does it sound like? If it is extremely faint, I may not notice it given the size and horrible acoustics in my room.

I'm used to popping sounds from the HLT-6189S, so I'm usually alert to that kind of thing .
post #299 of 23268 Old 06-09-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been trying to keep an ear out for that. So far, I haven't noticed anything. What exactly does it sound like? If it is extremely faint, I may not notice it given the size and horrible acoustics in my room.

I'm used to popping sounds from the HLT-6189S, so I'm usually alert to that kind of thing .

Faint was probably the wrong word, is not pretty noticeable. I seem to only hear it when switching inputs.

post #300 of 23268 Old 06-09-2007, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

The Room:

The Components

The Onkyo TX-SR805

Nice setup !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors