post #361 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
WRX_ROCKY,

Thanks for a really good read.

I'm the original "Moaner & groaner" and coiner of the "1/2 hour to change a channel" quip on the 605. So I'd like to add my nickel to your comments.

Overall I think you mistook sarcasm for the reality of things. After I voiced my frustration via sarcasm (or was it sardonicism?) I also said, in the very next sentence, that a remote can be programmed to do it in one click. It was the awareness of having to employ a workaround vs what was expected from the unit out of the box. And then of course there's the additional cables one needs to run in order to implement a total workaround.

The up or down conversion issue has more to do with SD cable broadcasting which IMO does benefit from Faroudjaing on many channels. So it does seem a bit ludicrous to go through hoops just to change a channel from HD to SD and vice versa, when we all expected that 1080i/p would not be down rezzed, just left alone. Please understand this was almost a universal expectation that was unfulfilled. Later users had a lot less expectations based on the earlier input of others. When you know what to expect its always a lot easier.

I completely agree with your assessment on Pure (direct in 605) Audio. The 605 does not have Pure Audio, we can get "direct" mode which is perhaps pure audio lite, but the sound is very, very good.

Thanks again for the writeup and I hope you enjoy your gear.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I know all about the 804 HUM issue... It's just that some of us have already did the test and posted back saying there are NO HUM issues. Does he need to keep posting the same question and test every few pages? Start a new thread or let it go!

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #363 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I know all about the 804 HUM issue... It's just that some of us have already did the test and posted back saying there are NO HUM issues. Does he need to keep posting the same question and test every few pages? Start a new thread or let it go!

I guess it wasn't clear that the actual "test" was done -- as opposed to just casually listening for "hum" with the 805 on. I guess that's the problem.

If you did the complete testing -- then thanks.
post #364 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I have done the test as well as a few others ho posted about it... I have confirmed there is no hum issue...

post #365 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have not done the "test", but I have no hum. I plug into one of those Monster power bar thingies. Seems to work well. Now I will say this. On the Phono input (I listen to records almost daily) there is a FAINT buzz from the tweeters. I mean, I couldn't notice it until it was dead quiet in my house and I put my ear right next to the tweeter. It not affected by the volume control, which leads me to believe it is somewhere in the output stage (I'm just guessing). But then again, it's only on the phono input. Even with the turntable off....I took the ground off.....then I got hum, so I put the ground back on. I personally believe it's somewhere in my setup (power cables too close to what not, bad RCA connection somewhere, florescent lights in the kitchen, etc.) , but then, it's not really an issue. You don't hear it under normal conditions. I'm not concerned at all.

Having only the HDMI cable go to the TV has sped things up considerably as far as changing sources etc. My Mits has the dreaded icon based input selection which takes forever.....now everything is one input (no changing) EXCEPT my antenna (for OTA HD). Now, I find myself spoiled just watching cable because I don't feel like waiting for the input to change to antenna.

The only fault (to me) to this point I have found (that I wish were different) is the EQ settings not being able to be adjusted with a source playing. This makes it very difficult to adjust accurately. Sure, it can be done, but will take forever and a day. I'm hoping someone comes back and tells me I'm all screwed up and explains what I'm doing wrong. Anywho........
post #366 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

49merc, LET IT GO! How many times have I posted I DO NOT have a HUM issue. Others have to. Start your own thread if you are so concerned. Buy a 805 from somewhere that will let you return it if you are that paranoid. But STOP posting the same QUESTION and TEST over and over and over again!

To Whom It May Concern

Please accept my apology for becoming an irritant to some of you over this matter. I had no vested interest except for my honest concern.

In closing, thank you for the confirmation that the 805 is interference free. I hope that you have many years of excellent service out of this fine audio video receiver.

My sincerest and best regards.
49Merc

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #367 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Apology acceped. Now buy this receiver with peace of mind and start enjoying it!

post #368 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 09:25 AM

I can't even read these posts anymore, I can't wait for tuesday to come around so I can start playing with my new toy. Reading all the post just makes the anticipation all that much worse.
post #369 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I want to upgrade from my 3 month old Onkyo 804, to the 805.

Anyone want to buy my 804? I will give a nice discount off the regular 804 price.

Have all manuals, box, parts, etc. Essentially brand new condition.

Send me a PM if interested.
post #370 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

Here's a question for the group. When I change channels and/or sources, the first thing that pops up in the (unit) display is:

DIALOG NORM
+4db

Has anyone else seen this? I noticed that 5.1 channel sources come in as Ultra2 Cinema and 2.0 channel sources decode as THX Cinema. I mention that becasue maybe this DIALOG NORM is a THX thing that I'm ignorant about. Most of my audio is bitstream via HDMI.

Everything you ever wanted to know about dialog norm (but were afraid to ask):

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...on-6-2000.html
post #371 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If anybody purchases the Sony BLU RAY player and connect it with the 805 receiver let me know how it works. Maybe this one will pass a bitstream signal(wishful thinking).

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #372 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

I have a quick question..How does one tell if a receiver can add post-processing (like DPLIIx, THX, etc.) on digital signals (like TrueHD & DTS-HD), and also on the analog side (like for SACD & DVDA analog inputs)?

I am interested in buying one of the Onkyo's when the higher models are out. But my Denon 4803 always bugged me, because it would never do post-processing on the analog. I just want to make sure the new Onkyo's can, because I have a 7.1 system, and would like to make full use of it for stereo and 5.1 sources (TrueHD, SACD, DVDA, etc.).
post #373 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngray77 View Post

I've been waiting for one of the new x05 models, but was turned off by the 605's lack of HDMI inputs, and it's inablity to matrix PCM from 5.1->7.1.

I know the 705 is purported to have the 3rd input, but does anyone have an idea what the matrixing abilities are expected to be? Any idea on price? I'm finding street prices on the 605 to be 500, the 805 to be 900, and I'm seeing the pre-order for the 705 to be 800. For 100, the better amp and Ultra2 certification may be worth it.

I know the amplifier is supposed to be the bees knees compared to the 705, but I'm curious whether I should pull the trigger now, or wait for the 705. Thoughts?

Wow, my post above got squished by '804 hum'. Anyone care to comment on my question? It would be greatly appreciated.
post #374 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngray77 View Post

Wow, my post above got squished by '804 hum'. Anyone care to comment on my question? It would be greatly appreciated.

The 705 uses 3 TI DSP processors similar to the 805 so the matrixing should be about the same. The 805 has more power, THX Ultra 2, Dual Push Pull, and weighs more. I really have no idea what street price is going to be and it may be too early to tell.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #375 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

If anybody purchases the Sony BLU RAY player and connect it with the 805 receiver let me know how it works. Maybe this one will pass a bitstream signal(wishful thinking).

The Sony manual says it will not pass lossless via bitstream only the core. I believe it's page 48 or 49.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #376 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I purchased my 805 at CC yesterday. After I got everthing hooked up I grabbed the remote, put batteries in and to my suprise it didn't work. So I thought to myself perhaps the batteries were died. I popped in new batteries and the same thing. The remote is just dead, it won't light up or anything. Any thoughts?
post #377 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 11:37 AM

Where can I find one at discounted price J @ R's seem OOS
post #378 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

WRX_ROCKY,

Thanks for a really good read.

I'm the original "Moaner & groaner" and coiner of the "1/2 hour to change a channel" quip on the 605. So I'd like to add my nickel to your comments.

Overall I think you mistook sarcasm for the reality of things. After I voiced my frustration via sarcasm (or was it sardonicism?)
I completely agree with your assessment on Pure (direct in 605) Audio. The 605 does not have Pure Audio, we can get "direct" mode which is perhaps pure audio lite, but the sound is very, very good.

Thanks again for the writeup and I hope you enjoy your gear.

Sorry about that mrgribbles, yeah I know about sarcasm, been accused of it all too often - and I feel it is NOT always negative, but just another form of comedy! Yes, I had a few problems setting up my system the way "I" wanted it (took a few hours of testing and tweaking), but I got it done and am pleased. Perhaps its because I am 52 (though still 27 in my mind ha ha), and was weaned on British Sports cars in the early years (Triumphs and Lotus), where you HAD to learn how to fix it yourself - even at times MAKING your own parts or solutions, as well as having been a computer tech for many years, that I just learned to make do with what you have - and bend it to YOUR will. These "kids" today with Lexus and Hondas that start every day, have heaters (and now AC) that works, and no leaking roofs, have just become too spoiled So thus, when I see a lot of the posts, I just wonder what is wrong. But now that I have an 805, I did not seem to find the concrete walls some seem to worry about. I will say though, it took me a lot less longer to setup the V2700 than it did the 805. That took some creative egineering and way too much tweaking. But as stated, the only time I have a problem with getting 720p downscalling, is if I play the XBox 360 through the HDMI. But then I just simply use component and don't let it bother me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Everything you ever wanted to know about dialog norm (but were afraid to ask):

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...on-6-2000.html

Ceasar1, very good find! Never knew about that one, Funny how he mentions the fact that comercials change volume to "grab" your attention back then (2000-2001). Never seemed to realize that until just recently - guess I either skipped over them before, or just "selective hearing" when they came on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post

To Whom It May Concern

Please accept my apology for becoming an irritant to some of you over this matter. I had no vested interest except for my honest concern.

In closing, thank you for the confirmation that the 805 is interference free. I hope that you have many years of excellent service out of this fine audio video receiver.

My sincerest and best regards.
49Merc

49Merc, I think you have a very valid reason for asking this, but I think the suggestion made to start another post on this is a GREAT idea! That way, this post is not flooded, but you also get a "specific" post for just this problem, and answers back specific to your question. And also, because of your topic for that post is right at the main menu, many more will see it = better exposure to your concerns.

No, I have not done the test, I live in an apartment for the time being (had to move across states for my job, UGH!). But at the levels I can use, I hear no hum yet. But I have always had a problem anyway with the Carver Sunfire MKII sub I have with hum every so often - no matter what receiver I owned. It just suddenly seems to be stuck on a note, and won't stop till I unplug it, and then its fine. And I won't give it up, cause it is one killer sub (well, at least back when it was new).

And by the way - as the Sunfire has both a passive and an active speaker - which way should I have it facing? Active towards the wall, or towards me?

Now ENOUGH of this - am going back to enjoy the sweet sounds and sights of my new toys
post #379 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTaddiction View Post

I purchased my 805 at CC yesterday. After I got everthing hooked up I grabbed the remote, put batteries in and to my suprise it didn't work. So I thought to myself perhaps the batteries were died. I popped in new batteries and the same thing. The remote is just dead, it won't light up or anything. Any thoughts?

I got mine too at CC - they gave me the price of the silver one when I pre-ordered at the local store. The one by me in Irving, Texas told me they had about 100 of them in the wharehouse!!!!

As for your power problem - do you have everything connected to the same outlet? Or same line conditioner or surge protector (you DO have one of these, right???!!!!!). Can all the other equipment be turned on if plugged into the same power supply? Have you made certain that the power cord is plugged in tight? Be surprised at how many times as a computer tech I have found unplugged wires or loose connections (at both sides - computer or under the desk = busy feet syndrome we called it ha ha). Did you try the main on button in the front of the 805? Did you ever hear a pop? Maybe an internal fuse in the 805 blew? Otherwise, test a few more things and then exchange it ASAP.
post #380 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

WRX_ROCKY, I liked your analogy to Brit Sports cars but you left out, "Lucas - The Prince of Darkness". HaHa

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #381 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

WRX_ROCKY, I liked your analogy to Brit Sports cars but you left out, "Lucas - The Prince of Darkness". HaHa

Yes, Joseph Lucas invented darkness (and warm beer), but Bosche IMPROVED on the idea :P

And don't forget Magnetti Morelli (sp???). Never owned a Fiat, but that was just as bad Oddly enough, it was the French Renault motor in my 69 Europa that was the only reliable part of the whole darn car :P Ahhh the old days when cars had souls and personalities! The 240Z killed all that

Now back to our regular programming

It turns out that Logitech seems to have a "somewhat" reliable IR codes for the 805 that I used on my Harmony 1000! It too just took a wee bit of tweaking as the inputs were labeled different than what is on the Onkyo Remote. What I found works:

DVD = DVD
VCR = Video 1
Sat/Cable = Video 2
Game = Video 3
Aux 1 = Video 4
Aux 2 = Video 5

Hope this helps?
post #382 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Rocky View Post

I got mine too at CC - they gave me the price of the silver one when I pre-ordered at the local store. The one by me in Irving, Texas told me they had about 100 of them in the wharehouse!!!!

As for your power problem - do you have everything connected to the same outlet? Or same line conditioner or surge protector (you DO have one of these, right???!!!!!). Can all the other equipment be turned on if plugged into the same power supply? Have you made certain that the power cord is plugged in tight? Be surprised at how many times as a computer tech I have found unplugged wires or loose connections (at both sides - computer or under the desk = busy feet syndrome we called it ha ha). Did you try the main on button in the front of the 805? Did you ever hear a pop? Maybe an internal fuse in the 805 blew? Otherwise, test a few more things and then exchange it ASAP.

Oops, sorry if I wasn't specific enough. The unit works fine, it's the remote that doesn't work. CC suggested that I return the whole unit, but they have no more in stock so I would have to wait a couple of weeks. They also would not give me the discounted price.
post #383 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
May be the remote is good, but the receiver sensor in not working...

Can you try an universal remote like the Harmony?
post #384 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelm View Post

Where can I find one at discounted price J @ R's seem OOS

Wow - I can't find them anywhere - should have ordered at J@R yesterday
post #385 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibre34 View Post

May be the remote is good, but the receiver sensor in not working...

Can you try an universal remote like the Harmony?

I've been using the remote that came with my Onkyo 603. The 805 remote won't even light up when you press buttons on it. I've tried 3 sets of batteries. The whole reason why I went with CC was to avoid the problems of shipping and I still got screwed.

Just got off the phone with CC and they ordered me a new one. It's gonna take about a week though.
post #386 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Was just checking out the specs on this monster and saw that it converts 480i signals to 480p. Since i now have an HDTV but still want to play regular dvds and older console games would the conversion benefit me at all?? Also would the conversion produce any artifacts??? My current dvd player (xbox 360 via component) gives me macroblocking like there's no tomorrow. I have tried adjusting the brightness, contrast and what have you and that helped a little, but was wondering if the conversion to 480p would help me in that area also. It is especially annoying when watching dvds with solid color, such as Elfen Lied, where it is extremely apparent
post #387 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 02:17 PM

well, I took the 805 plunge--and bought from Crutch. Should have by Wed/Thurs. You get 30 days on the return of the 805, incase the 875 appears. But I have a slight, but growing sense, that the 805 will do what I will really need. Its the XA2 upgrade to 1080p/24 I really want, now!
post #388 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 02:40 PM

WRX_Rocky
I too have a Carver Sunfire MKII sub that had a frequent and annoying hum problem. I called Sunfire and they are aware of the problem. They have a set fee for fixing this. I sent it in, they showed exactly what they did, and now NO hum problem. BTW, I think I could peel paint with this sub.
Hope this helps.
post #389 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doinit1010 View Post

WRX_Rocky
I too have a Carver Sunfire MKII sub that had a frequent and annoying hum problem. I called Sunfire and they are aware of the problem. They have a set fee for fixing this. I sent it in, they showed exactly what they did, and now NO hum problem. BTW, I think I could peel paint with this sub.
Hope this helps.

Tell you a funny story about how I got the MKII! I had bought a refurb MKI at Atlantic Stereo in Newport Beach (CA) for a very low price. After a few weeks, it started humming like no tomorrow! So I called Atlantic to ask what to do, and it just so happened at Carver HIMSELF was there giving a lecture! He stopped the talk when he heard I was having problems, and talked me through some tests (mainly, to stop using the 3 prong power cord with it, and get a 3--> 2 adapter). When that did not work, he said he'd SHIP ME a brand freaking NEW MKII. WOW! Talk about customer service! And this monster I have kept ever since, and never needed any other sub EVER again

But now, which way do I point it outwards though? Is the active towards me, or the wall? And boy is this sucker HEAVY. Its all amp and wattage, and 2 huger speakers. Even though no THX sticker on it, I am sure it would not only pass, but blow any other sub out of the universe
post #390 of 23116 Old 06-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337H4X View Post

Was just checking out the specs on this monster and saw that it converts 480i signals to 480p. Since i now have an HDTV but still want to play regular dvds and older console games would the conversion benefit me at all?? Also would the conversion produce any artifacts??? My current dvd player (xbox 360 via component) gives me macroblocking like there's no tomorrow. I have tried adjusting the brightness, contrast and what have you and that helped a little, but was wondering if the conversion to 480p would help me in that area also. It is especially annoying when watching dvds with solid color, such as Elfen Lied, where it is extremely apparent

Why not just bite the bullet and get the PS3? I NEVER thought I would buy any Playstation, but next to the 805 and the Panny plasma, its the best purchase you could ever make! And with the newest FW, it upconverts everything to 1080P, and no artifacts or probems at all - even with a poor quality DVD of an old 70's German/Italian spy thriller (Kiss Kiss, Kill Kill).
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page