10Likes

post #451 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerknowledge View Post

It's actually kind of a tricky answer, but I'll try.

(EDIT: These notes apply to routing the video input directly into the 60A2020, and what the TV itself does with a 480i signal, in contrast to running it through the 805 at either the automatic or forced-720p resolution. If you route such a signal through the 805, it will output as either 480p or 720p, which disables the 60A2020's more "sophisticated" upscaling processing. I've noted that intermittently in the following, but want to put it up front too to be clear.)

As a fixed-resolution display, all input signals are technically upscaled to 1080p. It simply has to fill the pixels, so it "spreads them around." In most cases (say, SDTV broadcasts, either analog NTSC or digital 480i), this upscaling is a hit or miss affair: some things look fairly decent (digital 480i broadcast), some like garbage (analog NTSC broadcast).

When it comes to ANY 480i signal (analog NTSC broadcast, digital broadcast, or DVD input without in-player progressive scan processing), you can set the 60A2020 to engage a couple of modes: Cinemotion (deinterlacing) and Digital Reality Creation (DRC: Sony's version of SD-->HD signal upscaling). For these sources, you would set Cinemotion to "Auto" and DRC to "4X High Density".

If you input a signal that is anything BUT 480i, both of these modes will be disabled. (I also believe that the signal must be input over any non-HDMI connection for these modes to be available; could be wrong on this.)

Now, with a high-quality 480i input (say, DVD over component) and good software (a recent, well-mastered DVD, for example), the Cinemotion/DRC combination gives really respectable results. I don't know how these results would compare to the Reon processing in the 875 or 905; however, I suspect that the Reon would do a better job on balance, as it is about the most highly-regarded video processor around (in this price range, of course). The Cinemotion in the 60A2020 is somewhat legendary for having stability problems in deinterlacing that become more pronounced with video-based (as opposed to film-based) material, as well as with very intricate images. On good, well-authored material, I don't notice many problems save for some occasional aliasing and strobing on finely-detailed patterns (brick walls in backgrounds, for example, are sometimes problematic, even on well-authored discs like the Platinum Edition of Se7en). And the DRC, while it often looks very good (and provides fine details that get blurred out in standard 480p mode), can make certain images appear grainier than usual (large expanses of sky, for example), and also seems to come with a slight layer of edge enhancement that is pretty much undefeatable. The graininess is an artifact of the upscaling process which may be less severe on better-quality upscalers (like the Reon); the EE is usually unintrusive in casual viewing.

So the short answer is this: it is likely that the Reon in the 875 would do at least as good a job at upscaling at least a 480i signal to 1080p as the 60A2020, and probably better. How much better, how much you'll notice it, and how much it is worth to you ($600?) are all variables that, unfortunately, can't be accounted for without a direct A/B comparison (if I could do it for you, I would, but alas). I know this much: if I had the extra $600, I might have gotten the 875. But when you consider what you'll be using the video processing in the 875 for compared to how much extra you'll spend, you can make your choice easier. If you want it only for upscaling DVD content, that $600 will buy you a Reon-equipped Blu-Ray or HDDVD player that will do the same thing and give you a next-gen player to boot (this is the path I chose: I'll "invest" that "saved" $600 in a high-quality player of whatever wins the format war in a couple years). But if you want ALL sources to be upscaled with the best processor in its price class, and see yourself using a lot of lower-resolution sources for the foreseeable future, then the 875 might be a worthy investment for its video processing.

Hope that all helps!

Powerknowledge,

Great explanation and thanks a bunch for this detailed view (helps a dummy like me!!)

So to your point, if I connect the source to this TV directly then Sony will upscale everything to 1080p but if I gothrough 805 (which converts to 480p or 720p) to the TV, Sony disables the upscaling. Now, can i have the 805 just pass "as-is" (meaning 480i input to 480i outut) so Sony will upscale to 1080p? Is it even possible?

Finally: I've a old DVD player (Interlace), VCR and probably upgrade my comcast to HD. I will wait just like you for the format war to be over prior to investing in either a Blu-ray or HD

Thanks again for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

Cannot help you with the Blu-Ray player..... as I have the HD-DVD... however, if there function is similar you can ONLY get the advanced codecs via HDMI or multi-channel analog.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong..... but I believe "to date" the only advanced codec's available are Dolby Digital + via HDMI (which I do not believe is lossless, but still supposed to be better than DD), and Dolby TrueHD via PCM (decoded in the player) via either HDMI or multi-channel analog. At least in the USA I don't think anything is sending out DTS MA via anything.

"Supposedly" later this year "some" players will output DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD via Bitstream...., but even then it will have to be over HDMI as digital coax or toslink does not have the necessary bandwidth.

In addition to Blu-ray's uncompressed PCM being available now these statements are correct. DTS-HD MA is still as elusive as ever.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #453 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljunks View Post

Powerknowledge,

Great explanation and thanks a bunch for this detailed view (helps a dummy like me!!)

So to your point, if I connect the source to this TV directly then Sony will upscale everything to 1080p but if I gothrough 805 (which converts to 480p or 720p) to the TV, Sony disables the upscaling. Now, can i have the 805 just pass "as-is" (meaning 480i input to 480i outut) so Sony will upscale to 1080p? Is it even possible?

Finally: I've a old DVD player (Interlace), VCR and probably upgrade my comcast to HD. I will wait just like you for the format war to be over prior to investing in either a Blu-ray or HD

Thanks again for your response.

Unfortunately, there's no way to disable the deinterlacing in the 805. So any 480i in comes out 480p. Don't get me wrong: it deinterlaces quite well. But if you want the Sony to work its "magic" on the signal, it's gotta be 480i. Thus, you'd have to go directly from the source to the Sony (video-wise) for Cinemotion and/or DRC to be enabled. On the 875, by contrast, you CAN have any signal pass through untouched, including 480i.

But bear in mind that my (limited) tests of the 805's video processing have been from analog video in to HDMI out. It MAY be the case that component in -> component out (for example) would bypass the deinterlacing. But if that's the case, you may as well just run the cable directly into the display (as you have enough component ins on the Sony to meet your hookup needs): all you'd be doing by running component in/component out through the 805 is adding an extra cable to the proceedings.

My video setup is actually quite simple too: a 4-year-old Sony 5-disc changer (progressive scan, but I've turned that off on the player) run via component into the SXRD, basic cable (with lots of unencrypted HD content) also run directly into the SXRD (no box), and a VCR. I use the 805 for audio processing only (digital coax from DVD, optical from the TV for digital stations, analog L/R from the VCR which I very rarely use), but that's all that I want/need it to do. And it does that very, very, very well. When I finally upgrade to HDDVD/BR, I trust I'll be just as happy (and, for my needs at least, content in the fact that I didn't drop the extra $ on an upscaling feature that I won't use).

Anyway, I hope this helps in making your decision. It's a hard one to make, and either route isn't cheap. So I won't tell you to get one over the other; instead, sleep on it, evaluate what you current and future needs are/will be, and then go ahead. They'll make plenty of both.

Come, let us kill the spirit of gravity...
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
post #454 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

Did you special order it from them, or do they finally have them in stock at the CC stores?

Thanks.

In stock in the Boca Raton, FL store (the black one).
post #455 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 01:44 PM

I have Sony Bluray player that can decode TrueHD/DD-Plus and output as PCM streams.

Should i really need the Onkyo805/875/905 to hear TrueHD/DD-Plus? as I can currently hear Multi-PCM streams.

Should I invest in this new Onkyo or Denon 3806/4306??? which makes sense???
post #456 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 02:10 PM

FInally delivered today. All I can say is WOW!! After a quick setup I popped in RFOM into the PS3. Unbelievable... comparable to going from SD to HD back when I finally got a HDTV. It is THAT much of a difference. I'm disaapointed I don't have BR disks that have impressive sounds tracks at the moment.

One question though... I was surprised that my cable box, a SA 8300HD, only outputs stereo PCM over HDMI. I would have thought that it would send the 5.1 DD track. However, the PCM does sound great with the processing applied to make it 6.1. Would would result in better quality sound:
1) continuing to pass stereo PCM over HDMI and apply processing to utilize all channel or
2) using optical to pass the audio as DD 5.1

Thanks in advance!
post #457 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 02:21 PM

Ok...I just got this beast hooked up and it seems to work well but for one small issue: I am unable to get the OSD via hdmi. when I hit setup I get some green flashes on the screen, then nothing...

I switch to component and the osd works....

I popped in an hd-dvd and it plays flawlessly via HDMI but when I hit setup, still same situation, green flash on screen then nothing.

Anyone know what could be going on there?

My projector is an Epson 550.

thanks...
post #458 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by videophiles09 View Post

I have Sony Bluray player that can decode TrueHD/DD-Plus and output as PCM streams.

Should i really need the Onkyo805/875/905 to hear TrueHD/DD-Plus? as I can currently hear Multi-PCM streams.

Should I invest in this new Onkyo or Denon 3806/4306??? which makes sense???

Boy asking for something that makes sense....

If you expected this stuff to make sense I am afraid you have come to the wrong website...

This place is for the certifiable ones they just don't have room for in any institutional setting.... plus their Home Theaters are just too pitiful!

Now as to the question at hand... I suppose it would depend on whether or not you wanted or needed the HDMI switching capabilities of these AVR's or if you would be interested in any of the video transcoding/upconverting/scaling capabilities of these units.

Does your display currently have all the inputs you need? (or you could get the 4 port switch from Monoprice)

Does your TV/Projector/Display Device do an adequate job of scaling the various signals? (Good external scalers are also an option)

Do you only have a single device that will be capable of the newer audio codecs? (if more then the single set of 5.1 multi-channel inputs is going to be limiting)

Does your right eye/arm/leg start to twitch slightly when reading these forums?

If your answer the first three questions is yes and the last is no then you may return to actually enjoying your HT and leave the craziness to the rest of us....

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #459 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lespaul91 View Post

FInally delivered today. All I can say is WOW!! After a quick setup I popped in RFOM into the PS3. Unbelievable... comparable to going from SD to HD back when I finally got a HDTV. It is THAT much of a difference. I'm disaapointed I don't have BR disks that have impressive sounds tracks at the moment.

One question though... I was surprised that my cable box, a SA 8300HD, only outputs stereo PCM over HDMI. I would have thought that it would send the 5.1 DD track. However, the PCM does sound great with the processing applied to make it 6.1. Would would result in better quality sound:
1) continuing to pass stereo PCM over HDMI and apply processing to utilize all channel or
2) using optical to pass the audio as DD 5.1

Thanks in advance!

The easy answer is to try it both ways and see which sounds better to you!

However if forced to "guess" I would think that the optical 5.1 signal sent to your receiver for processing would sound better than the synthesized surround you are getting my massaging the pcm stereo.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #460 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Couple pics I finally took.

2nd shows 5.1 PCM with PS3 playing mp3 over HDMI.
LL
LL
post #461 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Im getting the speaker "popping" phenomenon on my 805 when I switch inputs, change audio format, ect.
I know others have had this problem too. Anyone figure out how to avoid or stop it?
Its not that big of a deal. Its not loud enough to damage the speakers. Just kind of annoying.
Otherwise - GREAT RECEIVER!!!!!!!
The PS3 feeding uncompressed PCM sounds awesome!!
post #462 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze View Post

Ok...I just got this beast hooked up and it seems to work well but for one small issue: I am unable to get the OSD via hdmi. when I hit setup I get some green flashes on the screen, then nothing...

I switch to component and the osd works....

I popped in an hd-dvd and it plays flawlessly via HDMI but when I hit setup, still same situation, green flash on screen then nothing.

Anyone know what could be going on there?

My projector is an Epson 550.

thanks...

While I have no idea what's going on there, I (and at least one other poster on this thread) had the same issue: either nothing or funky stuff trying to get the OSD over HDMI (for me, it also worked over component output right away). But in both our cases -- for completely unexplained reasons -- it started working the next day. A slight (1-2 second) delay, and there it was...and the initial problem has never resurfaced.

I have no clue why, but for some reason "giving it time" seems to work. If, say, tomorrow when you first try it it still isn't working, try leaving the 805 outputting the OSD to your projector for a half hour or so. Maybe that'll be all it needs to start playing nice from there on out.

Come, let us kill the spirit of gravity...
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
post #463 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 03:07 PM

My only complaint after using the 805 for three days now, is that I can't get the OSD to work over HDMI. When I initiate a remote control command that requires the OSD, my Samsung LCD display flashes and then displays a "no signal present" message. When I switch out of the setup mode on the 805, the picture comes back fine.

1) Does anyone know if the 805 is supposed to support OSD over HDMI?
2) Is it likely that the OSD is in 480i? My Samsung will not support 480i over HDMI. But normally I get an "unsupported format" error not a "no signal present" error when this happens.

Any ideas?
post #464 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffcarp View Post

1) Does anyone know if the 805 is supposed to support OSD over HDMI?
2) Is it likely that the OSD is in 480i? My Samsung will not support 480i over HDMI. But normally I get an "unsupported format" error not a "no signal present" error when this happens.

Any ideas?

I know the 805 does support OSD over HDMI, but I was wondering about the 480i vs 480p output also. Like you, I have a Samsung that does not support 480i over HDMI. I know the 805 uses the Genesis 8125 video processor chip for the OSD. This chip also does the DCDi de-interlacing for component to HDMI conversion. I'm hoping that it outputs the OSD at 480p!

Can anyone confirm which mode (480i or 480p) the OSD is displayed over HDMI?
post #465 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post

Im getting the speaker "popping" phenomenon on my 805 when I switch inputs, change audio format, ect.
I know others have had this problem too. Anyone figure out how to avoid or stop it?
Its not that big of a deal. Its not loud enough to damage the speakers. Just kind of annoying.
Otherwise - GREAT RECEIVER!!!!!!!
The PS3 feeding uncompressed PCM sounds awesome!!

I had this same issue. It seems to go away after a few days.

post #466 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoug View Post

I know the 805 does support OSD over HDMI, but I was wondering about the 480i vs 480p output also. Like you, I have a Samsung that does not support 480i over HDMI. I know the 805 uses the Genesis 8125 video processor chip for the OSD. This chip also does the DCDi de-interlacing for component to HDMI conversion. I'm hoping that it outputs the OSD at 480p!

I can confirm that the OSD is 480p. I just checked. Mine takes about two seconds to appear.
post #467 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 04:17 PM

I can't wait anymore. Been following this thread like a hawk. Have this thread subscribed so whenever someone replies it reminds me on my Blackberry to check comments right away. Anyway, my 805 will be here Wednesday. I can't wait to have only one HDMI running to my AE900 and to hear lossless audio for the first time.

My Current Setup
- Panasonic PT-AE900U
- Carada 110" White screen
- PS3 for Blu-ray
- Dish Network Vip211 for HD programming
- Oppo OPDV971H
- Sony STR-DA2ES Receiver
- Marantz MM9000 Power Amp

Speakers 5.1 setup
- Magnepan MMG-C center channel
- Magnepan MMG L/R
- SVS PC 25-31PCI Subwoofer
- Cheap JBL surrounds

Once I get the 805 in I'll try to give my opinions on it if I'm not having too much fun with it. I tend to forget the forums once my new toys arrive and just start to enjoy it. Otherwise, if I'm experiencing some issues with it, you guys will hear from me very soon.
post #468 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denness544 View Post

I can't wait anymore. Been following this thread like a hawk. Have this thread subscribed so whenever someone replies it reminds me on my Blackberry to check comments right away. Anyway, my 805 will be here Wednesday. I can't wait to have only one HDMI running to my AE900 and to hear lossless audio for the first time.

My Current Setup
- Panasonic PT-AE900U
- Carada 110" White screen
- PS3 for Blu-ray
- Dish Network Vip211 for HD programming
- Oppo OPDV971H
- Sony STR-DA2ES Receiver
- Marantz MM9000 Power Amp

Speakers 5.1 setup
- Magnepan MMG-C center channel
- Magnepan MMG L/R
- SVS PC 25-31PCI Subwoofer
- Cheap JBL surrounds

Once I get the 805 in I'll try to give my opinions on it if I'm not having too much fun with it. I tend to forget the forums once my new toys arrive and just start to enjoy it. Otherwise, if I'm experiencing some issues with it, you guys will hear from me very soon.

Keep us posted. I'll be curious as to how the Onkyo pairs with the Magnepans. Magnepans are not the easiest speakers for receivers to drive and this should serve as a good test for 805's power.

post #469 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 04:27 PM

This is beyond bizarre. Mine works now! About 4 days after setting it up, suddenly, with no settings change, my OSD works on my Samsung display. Others reported that this problem "went away in a few days" but I thought they were nuts. But, now, I am equally nuts. Mine works fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoug View Post

post #470 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGRSBSKIER View Post

I have gone through the A/V synch and setting it to zero is behind the lip movement, the more I go positive the more it falls behind. I think its close to .2 seconds behind you can tell by listening through the TV speakers and Receiver at the same time. My previous Onkyo was right on. How can I fix this?

I have tried Analog L and R, Optical, and Digital Coax. They are all off, I think exactly the same.

I called Onkyo the guy I talked to never heard of the problem and said he would research it and call back in 2-3 days. The first guy I talked to didn't seem to know what I was talking about and said to return it to the store (I got it from J&R's and shipping it is a lot of work so I will wait for an answer).
post #471 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Keep us posted. I'll be curious as to how the Onkyo pairs with the Magnepans. Magnepans are not the easiest speakers for receivers to drive and this should serve as a good test for 805's power.

That's what I'm curious to find out too. I am currently using my Sony ES as a pre/pro and powering them with the Marantz amp. The Marantz amp specs isn't very clear and has the power output listed only for 8 ohms, while the the Maggies are 4 ohm speakers. So I will compare the Marantz's 170 watt @ 8 ohms on the 4 ohm Maggies with the Onkyo's 130 watts. I believe the 805 can handle a 4 ohm load, correct?
post #472 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by denness544 View Post

That's what I'm curious to find out too. I am currently using my Sony ES as a pre/pro and powering them with the Marantz amp. The Marantz amp specs isn't very clear and has the power output listed only for 8 ohms, while the the Maggies are 4 ohm speakers. So I will compare the Marantz's 170 watt @ 8 ohms on the 4 ohm Maggies with the Onkyo's 130 watts. I believe the 805 can handle a 4 ohm load, correct?

Yes the 805 can handle a 4 ohm load, there's a setting for this in the on-screen menu, be sure to engage this before you fire that puppy up.

post #473 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

For those interested, the Onkyo FAQs has these two relevant questions posted on their website (now if only they could have done that about 2 months ago or put it in the manuals)

When I connect my cable/satellite box via component through the receiver and use HDMI from the receiver to my TV it displays 720p when the broadcast is 1080i. Why is that happening?
This is a limitation of the Faroudja DCDi chip used in the Onkyo receivers. Incoming 1080i signals via component connection can only be transmitted via HDMI in 720p. Incoming 1080i signals via an HDMI connection will be transmitted in 1080i.

The following hook up recommendations will allow you to display 1080i resolutions from your cable/satellite.

1. If the cable/satellite has the options of HDMI or DVI outputs, use those connections instead of the component video. The HDMI connection will allow audio and video signals to be sent thought a single connection. The DVI connection is for video only. You will need a DVI to HDMI adaptor plus a separate audio connection to go from the cable/satellite box the receiver for sound.

2. if your cable/satellite only supports component video then you can either go component video out along with the HDMI from the receiver to the TV. Or you can go from the cable/ satellite direct into the TV with the component video so you can get the 1080i signal from the broadcasts.

Why is my receiver not showing Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, when the disc is showing that those formats are available through the disc?
Onkyo A/V receiver's from TXSR 605 and up can decode Dolby TrueHD and the DTS -HD Master bitstream audio data. Currently there is no Blu-Ray or a HD DVD players on the market with the ability of providing this bit for bit audio streams. Players currently on the market are decoding True HD and DTS HD data and sending it through the HDMI connection as PCM. Because of this the receiver will display PCM Multi Channel. Only when players have the ability to send bitstream signals to the receivers will the receivers be able to decode the signal. Only then will True HD, Dolby Plus or DTS HD be displayed on the front panel.
post #474 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

Why is my receiver not showing Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, when the disc is showing that those formats are available through the disc?
Onkyo A/V receiver's from TXSR 605 and up can decode Dolby TrueHD and the DTS -HD Master bitstream audio data. Currently there is no Blu-Ray or a HD DVD players on the market with the ability of providing this bit for bit audio streams. Players currently on the market are decoding True HD and DTS HD data and sending it through the HDMI connection as PCM. Because of this the receiver will display PCM Multi Channel. Only when players have the ability to send bitstream signals to the receivers will the receivers be able to decode the signal. Only then will True HD, Dolby Plus or DTS HD be displayed on the front panel.

I tried to explain this numerous times in the anticipation thread. I know this broke a lot of hearts.

post #475 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=legierk](now if only they could have done that about 2 months ago or put it in the manuals) [quote]

Most people knew about the Bitstream/PCM issue. But Onkyo could have definitely done a better job of managing customers expectations with the faroudja chip limitation.

post #476 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=lrstevens421][quote=legierk](now if only they could have done that about 2 months ago or put it in the manuals)
Quote:

Most people knew about the Bitstream/PCM issue. But Onkyo could have definitely done a better job of managing customers expectations with the faroudja chip limitation.

Absolutely.

I want someone else to confirm or validate this finding:

After doing an Audyssey calibration, I can change xover points, distances and levels WITHOUT affecting the Audyssey EQ calibration. However, if I change any EQ setting (by switching from Audyssey to Manual), I lose all the Audyssey filters that were applied.

If this is correct, I must say I'm very dissappointed. I realize the Audyssey is very sophisticated in what it does, and by comparison, the manual (graphic) EQ is very rudimentary.

Sometime this week I will measure the sub response with REW. My expectaions are not high that it is flat to 20hz (my sub is certainly capable). I may have to break out the RichterScale again and "trick" Audyssey (ie. post Audyssey processing).
post #477 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=legierk][quote=lrstevens421]
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post

(now if only they could have done that about 2 months ago or put it in the manuals)

Absolutely.

I want someone else to confirm or validate this finding:

After doing an Audyssey calibration, I can change xover points, distances and levels WITHOUT affecting the Audyssey EQ calibration. However, if I change any EQ setting (by switching from Audyssey to Manual), I lose all the Audyssey filters that were applied.

If this is correct, I must say I'm very dissappointed. I realize the Audyssey is very sophisticated in what it does, and by comparison, the manual (graphic) EQ is very rudimentary.

Sometime this week I will measure the sub response with REW. My expectaions are not high that it is flat to 20hz (my sub is certainly capable). I may have to break out the RichterScale again and "trick" Audyssey (ie. post Audyssey processing).

Yes you can make changes to Audyssey without throwing it completely out of whack. If you switch to manual all of the filters will be removed and you to tailor the sound to your personal tastes. To be honest with you I wasn't too impressed with the way Onkyo implemented the Audyssey EQ, I wasn't quite blown away by it like I was with my Denon AVR-2807. The Denon had a "flat' setting that sounded really good in my room, a setting that the Onkyo does not have. I prefer to not to use the Audyssey EQ in my Onkyo. Still sounds great without it.

post #478 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlv View Post

Just got my 805 unwrapped and am starting to install. Could you please give some advice on the following:

Regarding HDMI cables, I need a 15' cable for the run from the 805 to my JVC monitor. Monoprice was out of stock, so I order a 16' Belkin Pure AV cable via Amazon for $50+. I just opened that UPS box and the packaging says "Supports high-definition (720p and 1081i) and standard video, and all audio formats from stereo to multichannel surround sound." Do you think this will still handle 1080p from my Toshiba XA2? I really don't want to go pay $100+ to get a monster cable from Fry's or BB or CC!

The prewiring in my house provides 4 stereo wires (2 pair) from the receiver to the sub location (no single coax). My sub has 4 speaker posts (Left and Right + and -) (in addition to a coax LFE that I won't be using). I purchased two "RCA -> 2 stereo wires (1 pair)" from Radio Shack. Can I run one of these from the Subwoofer preout of the 805 to one pair of the speaker posts, or is there another solution? Can I run one of these from Front Right preout and another from the Front Left preout and connect to the Right and Left posts on the sub?

Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

You should run one coax from sub pre-out to the LFE in of your subwoofer. That is the expected connection. Make sure you don't connect any RCA pre-amp level outputs to speaker level inputs on the sub. Also, after hooking everything up, do Audessy calibration and make sure the sub made the expected sound and that the receiver said it was successful.

Unfortunately I don't have a coax prewire in the wall. Why will it not work to run RCA pre-amp outputs to speaker terminals on the sub. Also, I didn't previously mention that it is a powered sub if that matters.

I will run the Audessy when all is connected.

Thanks again.
post #479 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 05:44 PM
ozp

Page 23 of the 805/875 manual describes Bi-amping the Front Speakers. And among other things it says:
"Use only front speakers with an impedance of 8 ohms or higher for bi-amping. Failure to do so may seriously damage the AV receiver"

Should this warning be taken seriously or it's more of Onkyo covering it's behind? And is someone planning or actually already used 805 bi-amping on 6 ohms or lower speakers?
post #480 of 22916 Old 06-11-2007, 05:56 PM

I've been reading this forum for a while, trying to decide on a new receiver and I finally made up my mind on the 805. One problem though. I live in Canada. The only Onkyo dealer in my area quoted me a "special order" price of $1600 cdn. He didn't even know of the new line of Onkyo's until I asked him about them. Anyway, I can save a whole lot by ordering online. Currently Amazon would give the best deal but just wondering about anyone else's experience ordering electronics from them. My other options would be Circuit City or J&R. Any thoughts or recommondations would be great.

P.S. I know these places don't ship to Canada but I live 30 minutes from the border and can have the 805 shipped to a parcel delivery depot on the U.S. side.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page