Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2007, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

So it shouldn't be an issue -- why is everyone so worried about it?

My guess is and reading from some other forums, the 805 could possibly decode TrueHD more efficiently than the HD-DVD player, thus, providing a better sound experience. But I'm guessing it wouldn't be a big difference if true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyo_805_owner View Post

I got my receiver yesterday. No problems with OSD over HDMI, but I did have lots of handshaking problems and speaker popping (I did auto calibration already).

I have PS3 going into 805 and 805 going into Panasonic plasma (last year model, 1.2a), all HDMI.

My biggest concern is all the clicking I hear the receiver doing during handshake. Once the movie plays it's perfectly smooth, but whenever content changes (like movie menu, trailers, or movie starting), there is a lot of craziness goingn on. In addition to clicking, I also have speaker popping and screen flashing (colors) during content change. Is this normal?

What resolution do you have have the ps3 outputting? I noticed when I had multiple resolutions selected as available, and the ps3 outputting 1080p, some of the notices and trailers aren't 1080p, so it would rehandshake when changing between the warning, trailers, etc before the movie started.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdebruyn View Post

how are you getting uncompressed PCM to the receiver if you're not using HDMI? that is one of the big pluses of this receiver.

Never said I was. It's a "big plus" I hope to enjoy someday soon, but I've never claimed that I was in fact doing so myself. Not sure where this is coming from. Oh well.

Come, let us kill the spirit of gravity...
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen33 View Post

My guess is and reading from some other forums, the 805 could possibly decode TrueHD more efficiently than the HD-DVD player, thus, providing a better sound experience. But I'm guessing it wouldn't be a big difference if true.

decoding lossless formats is like unzipping a file on a computer. once it's done, the resulting bits should be identical no matter what was used to do the actual unzipping.
here's a question, though- would it be possible for a poorly designed player to mess up the signal during the stage where it's menu sounds are mixed with the pcm from the disc itself? that seems to be the only possible way that decoding in the player would be less than optimal, and to my knowledge, no one has shown any evidence of any players degrading the sound at that stage.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Receiver clicking, in the receiver is expected. I've heard worse. You should not hear it out of the speakers. Nor should you hear speaker popping. many, myself included, will report that the speaker popping issue will go away after a day or two. Prolonged popping should not happen. Give it a couple of days then blast Onkyo if it continues.

As always, double check the connections at the rear of the AVR. just one errant strand can cause a lot of the speaker popping. Also, if when snugging up the binding posts, you have caught a piece of the wire insulation, then the copper might not be compressed enough.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

grichht, looking forward to hearing how your setup is with the 805 and the new Sony. keep us posted and good luck with your install.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisizer View Post

The only negative I ran into was some digital input mapping hoops. I've got an HD_DVD player (HDMI), a PS3 (HDMI), a wii (component+RCA), a ps2 (component+optical), an xbox 360 (component+optical), and a directv hr20 (HDMI) going through the 805, and I was forced into using the front panel optical input for the 360 since the aux2 input can't be mapped to anything else. I've still got a free optical in on the back, but no available 'channel' to map it to. Oh, well, that's really not a big deal at all, i'd just rather keep the front panel closed if I can . . . . .
PCM from the HDDVD and PS3 sound awesome as well . . . .

Why not use the PS3 to upconvert your PS2 games? Why even keep the PS2?

I have a quick topic to discuss:
Based on PS3 playing Standard DVDs through HDMI to the 805.
Again this is simply based on plain old Dolby Digital - no fancy stuff.
I found that it sounded better to set the ps3 as bitstream than PCM.
I guess this causes the amp to decode rather than the PS3. So would that mean the amp does the better job of processing? I was under the impression that bitstream means the signal is passed to the receiver untouched. And PCM means it has already been processed/decoded. It just needs to be amplified. Is that correct?
Old 06-12-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

grichht, looking forward to hearing how your setup is with the 805 and the new Sony. keep us posted and good luck with your install.

Thanks. I'm glad I've got 4 days to get it done. I might need it. I'm sure I'll be back on the thread with more questions once I get into it. Considering that I've been without an AVR for the past couple of months and using tv speakers, I'm sure I'll be more than wowed!
Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

I asked this before, but didn't see an answer:

Besides the display not saying "True HD" is there any difference in sound? Or is the sound exactly the same when it is multi-channel PCM as opposed to True HD?

In other words, are people just worrying about what the display says -- and not any difference in sound?

They will sound exactly the same. However the 805 could potentially make it sound "better" but only because it can apply it's "effects" to the MULTICH PCM signal. The 705 and 605 cannot.

With the 805 you can apply THX processing. Which will help make movies sound more like they are supposed to sound, at home. That last bit is just my opinion though and not fact.

One thing I've noticed though is that the 605 does at least offer Onkyo's "poor mans THX" with their Cinema Filter. Problem is it cannot be used on a MULTICH PCM signal. So when I watch regular DVDs over SPDIF and use the internal decoder on the 605, I get that filter, sounds great. Then I switch to an HD DVD and lose the filter and everything sounds overly harsh and too dynamic (if there ever was such a thing)

Kevin "Q" Quattro
Lead Artist, Inhance Digital

Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoSheezy View Post

Why not use the PS3 to upconvert your PS2 games? Why even keep the PS2?

Guitar Hero 1 and 2!! you can't use the guitars on the PS3.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerknowledge View Post

Sorry, guess I was unclear. I'm not running ANY video through the 805: Cable, DVD, etc. are all straight into the set. And as far as how good "anything less than 1080" looks on a 1080p TV, that depends on a huge number of variables: how well the set deinterlaces/upscales, how good the source material is, etc. And it's that last -- source material quality -- that's the real determining factor. Even something as capable as the Reon can't make subpar source material look great. I've assumed that you have a Sony SXRD as well; in my experience, it does a good-to-great job, depending on the source material (some 480i broadcasts look pretty good, some awful, none as good as HD by a long shot, but they couldn't be made to; some 480i DVDs look damn near HD, but still within the limits of what can be expected). Whether the SXRD's video processing is the equal of the Reon (probably not, but probably not incredibly worse) is something I can't answer to. If you have this set, and have it calibrated properly, you know what it can do. The question is whether you're unhappy enough with its upscaling/deinterlacing to spend the extra money on the 875, whether you'd rather wait a bit for an HD disc player with the same technology, whether that upscaling is something you'll use on enough sources and for long enough to justify the additional investment.

thanks, I think you did state that clearly in the your first post and I didn't pay attention. Also i still dont have a HDTV and I'm planning to buy the sony 60A2020 in the next few weeks.

Right now I'm leaning more towards 875 just to future proof it. But again that might change once I goto the local store to purchase the TV (or online from J&R or B&H Photo).

Finally, is there a CD that I buy to calibrate my TV or is this something I have to pay $200 or $300 those guys from CC and other charge. But I keep hearing a lot of people saying that I should have my new TV (whenever I buy it) calibrate it - just to custom fit it. But dont the Manufacturers already fine tune/calibrate it?
Old 06-12-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monger View Post

What resolution do you have have the ps3 outputting? I noticed when I had multiple resolutions selected as available, and the ps3 outputting 1080p, some of the notices and trailers aren't 1080p, so it would rehandshake when changing between the warning, trailers, etc before the movie started.

Thanks for replying.

I set PS3 to output only in 1080p. 480p is always enabled. No 1080i or 720p. My plasma is only 720p, but it supports 1080p signal.

I hear about 2-4 clicks during signal change. I would think I should hear only 1 click...
Old 06-12-2007, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by alljunks View Post

thanks, I think you did state that clearly in the your first post and I didn't pay attention. Also i still dont have a HDTV and I'm planning to buy the sony 60A2020 in the next few weeks.

Right now I'm leaning more towards 875 just to future proof it. But again that might change once I goto the local store to purchase the TV (or online from J&R or B&H Photo).

Finally, is there a CD that I buy to calibrate my TV or is this something I have to pay $200 or $300 those guys from CC and other charge. But I keep hearing a lot of people saying that I should have my new TV (whenever I buy it) calibrate it - just to custom fit it. But dont the Manufacturers already fine tune/calibrate it?

Digital Video Essentials just released and HD-DVD disc to adjust your TV. Also, Avia has a solid SD disc. Both sold on Amazon I'm sure.

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

Old 06-12-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

Digital Video Essentials just released and HD-DVD disc to adjust your TV. Also, Avia has a solid SD disc. Both sold on Amazon I'm sure.

I think at least one is available on Netflix, but it doesn't come with the color filters.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisizer View Post

Guitar Hero 1 and 2!! you can't use the guitars on the PS3.

"Pelican's PS2 to PS3 Adapter allows you to utilize PlayStation 2 controllers on your PlayStation 3 system. Compatible with all PS2 controllers including: Dualshock® 2 controllers, wireless controllers, guitars for Guitar Hero 1 and 2, steering wheels, arcade sticks, dance mats, and more."
Old 06-12-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

great! I'm assuming i just play the DVD and it will do a auto adjust or will ask me some basic questions and it will do the rest? Just the Audyssey EQ from Onkyo 805?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2007, 01:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Unfortunately the interactive features on the HD DVD side are... lacking.

Someday maybe I'll actually WATCH my projector...
Old 06-12-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljunks View Post

great! I'm assuming i just play the DVD and it will do a auto adjust or will ask me some basic questions and it will do the rest? Just the Audyssey EQ from Onkyo 805?

Thanks

Not quite. For the Avia, just listen and adjust while following the disc. For the DVE, you can do that on the SD side, but the HD side is just the patterns with no instruction. You either have to know what you are doing from having done it before or jot down notes from the SD side, and apply them on the HD side. I would probably watch a complete disc once just to understand whats going on.

Not automatic, you will be adjusting tint, contrast, color, etc on your TV's controls.

Old 06-12-2007, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTaddiction View Post

"Pelican's PS2 to PS3 Adapter allows you to utilize PlayStation 2 controllers on your PlayStation 3 system. Compatible with all PS2 controllers including: Dualshock® 2 controllers, wireless controllers, guitars for Guitar Hero 1 and 2, steering wheels, arcade sticks, dance mats, and more."

Doesn't work good.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Also I remember somebody asking about the HDMI and component on simultaneously. Yes they are. I have component from PS3 to 805 for video and HDMI for audio.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTaddiction View Post

yep, tried it, not precise enough for guitar hero's timing needs. thanks, though!
Old 06-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

An update on my SA8300 and 805 problem. I was getting picture, but no sound. After turning the Digital signal to HDMI on and off, for the certain connection, it just started working.

I think this is like the 3rd issue on this thread, that just started working after a while.

What is going on with this receiver???

Also, after doing the auto calibration, the volume seemed to very very soft with HD-A1, I'm hoping that it is the HD Player, I'm getting back my HD-Xa2 today, so I will let you know what happens.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:36 PM

My config:

PS3 for blu-ray (HDMI to Geffen)
Comcast DVR for cable (component to 805/toslink to 805)
Apple TV for music/videos (HDMI to Geffen)
Geffen 3-1 switcher for multiple HDMI inputs (direct to 805)

805 as the processor/receiver
- HDMI out to TV
- HDMI1 input from Geffen
- component input from Comcast DVR

speaker pre-outs feed to ADA MPA500 5 channel amp
sub pre-out feeds to K2 amp for LFE subs

RTI turns on TV/805/sources. The 805 is turned on, and then zone2 turns on to trigger the 12v which turns on the ADA amps.

The system works like a dream. No issues except for the popping noise which I'll get to. Component input feeds through HDMI output to TV as designed. Sound from all sources is processed just fine. From Comcast, I get Dolby digital as the receiver is processing it. From the Blu-Ray (PS3) I get uncompressed PCM so it reads "multi-channel". There is definitely a sound improvement with the uncompressed bitstream. All those extra details that you didn't know you were missing are now there.

I recommend using the microphone / calibraton tools. I did my own calibration using my SPL meter, and then compared it against the system's try at it. I prefer the systems. Very nicely done. The only downside of the calibration is that after the auto calibration, the popping started appearing. Its not horrible, just I hope there is a firmware update to make it go away. There was a notice in the box stating that under certain conditions, popping noises would be heard on the system and that is normal - not a defect.

This is a great receiver and definitely worth the money. I'm not sure why some people on this forum bought it and don't use the HDMI video or the HDMI audio abilities. They could have gotten a much cheaper receiver which suits their needs, and is simpler for them to use and understand.

The configuration of the system was pretty straightforward, but my processor prior to this was an Integra and I have another Integra processor in the house so I'm used to Onkyo's config. Setup inputs. Make sure HDMI monitor out is on. For my cable input set it to component and optical 1 for input. The hardest part was making sure my RTI scripts worked again so the WAF was kept at a high level.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:45 PM

gdebruyn,
Thanks for the report.
I have a couple questions for you.
1) Why are you using the Geffen HDMI switcher? Is there a reason why you're only using 1 of the 805's HDMI inputs?

2) Is there a reason why you're not running HDMI for you DVR?

I'm not criticizing your setup, just trying to understand if there's a limitation of the 805 I'm unaware of.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frayed.Knot View Post

gdebruyn,
Thanks for the report.
I have a couple questions for you.
1) Why are you using the Geffen HDMI switcher? Is there a reason why you're only using 1 of the 805's HDMI inputs?

2) Is there a reason why you're not running HDMI for you DVR?

I'm not criticizing your setup, just trying to understand if there's a limitation of the 805 I'm unaware of.

1) because thats how i had it setup prior to the 805 and to move the entire media unit and rewire would be a giant PITA. i could theoretically use the HDMI inputs from the 805, but this way it works and no harm no foul, and for the future I have too many HDMI inputs. the gefen is 1.3 compliant so i'm good. it is unnecessary though.

2) Comcast DVR - i was running DVI to HDMI cable to the geffen to the TV w/o issue prior to the 805. I tried that config after integrating the 805, as well as trying plugging the HDMI into the back of the 805. i got the same error - the 805 cannot support resending a signal where there was copy protected material or something to that effect. the message came from the 805 and it said i had to use the component input instead.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmax2k1 View Post

Also I remember somebody asking about the HDMI and component on simultaneously. Yes they are. I have component from PS3 to 805 for video and HDMI for audio.

Cool. I'm planning on running HDMI from my soon to arrive Sony 300 BD player for audio and component for video (since I don't yet have a HDMI display).
Old 06-12-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdebruyn View Post

(snip)

This is a great receiver and definitely worth the money. I'm not sure why some people on this forum bought it and don't use the HDMI video or the HDMI audio abilities. They could have gotten a much cheaper receiver which suits their needs, and is simpler for them to use and understand.

I agree on the first count (great and worth the $), and that's why I disagree on the second. Simply because someone doesn't yet have all of the equipment to take advantage of the 805's feature set doesn't mean that they won't down the road. This is exactly why I, and many others here, got the 805: future proofing, as much as that's possible, at an amazing price for the quality. I needed a new AVR because my previous one died after nine years...and I both hope and expect the 805 to last that long too, and to serve the needs I will have for the foreseeable future. And IMO, the 805 is no more difficult to use and understand than any other AVR on the market. A sensible person learns about and uses what s/he needs, when s/he needs it (and beyond: I read every inch of the manual before the 805 was released for when, not if, I upgrade my gear). Sorry if I'm being testy; it's just that that particular comment had an air about it that suggests folks without the (really, and enviably) killer gear you currently have are fools for investing in something that is "more than they can handle," let alone "comprehend." (But I also know that the nature of message boards is that they severely interfere between what one means to say and how it's taken, so if I'm off base, I apologize).

Come, let us kill the spirit of gravity...
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 06-12-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerknowledge View Post

I agree on the first count (great and worth the $), and that's why I disagree on the second. Simply because someone doesn't yet have all of the equipment to take advantage of the 805's feature set doesn't mean that they won't down the road. This is exactly why I, and many others here, got the 805: future proofing, as much as that's possible, at an amazing price for the quality. I needed a new AVR because my previous one died after nine years...and I both hope and expect the 805 to last that long too, and to serve the needs I will have for the foreseeable future. And IMO, the 805 is no more difficult to use and understand than any other AVR on the market. A sensible person learns about and uses what s/he needs, when s/he needs it (and beyond: I read every inch of the manual before the 805 was released for when, not if, I upgrade my gear). Sorry if I'm being testy; it's just that that particular comment had an air about it that suggests folks without the (really, and enviably) killer gear you currently have are fools for investing in something that is "more than they can handle," let alone "comprehend." (But I also know that the nature of message boards is that they severely interfere between what one means to say and how it's taken, so if I'm off base, I apologize).

me thinks you took my comments a wee bit too personally. perhaps cut back on the coffee. =) and gratz on your purchase. enjoy the unit.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I posted this in the anticipation thread as well, but thought I would bounce if off you new owners (Im jealous!).

I apologise if this has already been asked before....please forgive me.
I have some Klipsch F-2 left and rights and a Klipsch C-2 center that are both rated at 100 RMS, I noticed the 805 is rated at 130 RMS, will this cause a problem to the reciever and/or my speakers. Also, my rears are old speakers from a home theater in box kit I got back in 2003, so I am concerned about them as well, but if they pop that will give me an excuse to get some new ones. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Brian

"That reminds me Marty, you might not want to hook up to the amplifier; there's a slight possibility of overload." - Doc
Old 06-12-2007, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, I couldn't resist anymore. CC had 10% off and AAA discount got 10% off that. Should arrive at my door step Friday and I just put in for a half day. Can't wait! I basically rented the 604 for 2 months. Now I have to move that.