"The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread - Page 25 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

Old 06-14-2007, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As has been mentioned in this thread, the big manual is the French/Spanish version. There's a smaller English manual. Look through all your packaging.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2007, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone recommend or point me in the right direction to accurately setup in the 805 menu and calibrate my speaker setup with the 805. I have Klipsch S-2 tower right and lefts, a Klipsch S-2 center, a HSU VTF-3 MK3 with turbo booster for a subwoofer, and two small pioneers for my rear surround.

Particularly, I am interested in what should be my settings in the 805 menu and should I let it automatically calibrate the speakers or should I get an SPL meter. Also, is there anything I should specifically select in the setup menu.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwkid View Post

Can someone recommend or point me in the right direction to accurately setup in the 805 menu and calibrate my speaker setup with the 805. I have Klipsch S-2 tower right and lefts, a Klipsch S-2 center, a HSU VTF-3 MK3 with turbo booster for a subwoofer, and two small pioneers for my rear surround.

Particularly, I am interested in what should be my settings in the 805 menu and should I let it automatically calibrate the speakers or should I get an SPL meter. Also, is there anything I should specifically select in the setup menu.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

page 55 - pretty straightforward instructions
Old 06-14-2007, 05:14 PM

Thanks gdebruyn, I saw that but I did not know if this was the best way or if it was better to manually do it with a store bought SPL meter.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Thanks gdebruyn, I saw that but I did not know if this was the best way or if it was better to manually do it with a store bought SPL meter.

Let it roll through it. I have the 604 and that baby is pretty spot on. I ran it several times and re-checked with my SPL. It is solid and really sounds nice with my Def Tec 7006s, 2002, and BP2X.

Tomorrow I get to unleash my new 805 when Mr. Fedex man arrives. Took a half-day too so lots a fun.

Here to help and learn. Thanks AVS.
XBL: HoosierInOhio

Old 06-14-2007, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 View Post

Let it roll through it. I have the 604 and that baby is pretty spot on. I ran it several times and re-checked with my SPL. It is solid and really sounds nice with my Def Tec 7006s, 2002, and BP2X.

Tomorrow I get to unleash my new 805 when Mr. Fedex man arrives. Took a half-day too so lots a fun.

I agree. I double checked my 805 and my levels/distances were spot on.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuchler View Post

OSD issue - after I hooked mine up last night, I had this issue too. I found that when I turn my 805 on BEFORE my TV, no OSD.

When I turned the TV on BEFORE the 805, I was able to get OSD. Weird one.

That's he way it works. I learned this from my first DLP tv 3 years ago. You always turn on your tv, monitor, projector first. Then the reciever or BR, HD or dvd player. It's the "handshake" thing.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdebruyn View Post

congrats rok. please post what you did to fix your issues. i'm sure others would benefit from your wise words.

Well, to recap, I was getting no sound until resetting the HDMI Monitor setting.

I remembered when I first got the receiver, I had no sound, I could not figure it out. I switched, HDMI Audio to YES, and WHalAA... sound...

I totally forgot about this setting, and every time I got sound, It was low, and did not synch up right.

I finally turned it back off, and everything was working the way it was suppose to be. Kinda my fault, but I don't know why I gave me sound at all.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGoD View Post

Just got mine and played with it for a couple hours. Yeah, this thing is a behemoth and runs pretty hot like everyone says.

Impressed performance-wise from this thing. I couldn't ask for more in that department. However, I ordered from J&R and my manual only came in French/Spanish. Could this mean i got the Euro version? Anyone else only got a French/Spanish manual?

If I recall, I believe the English version is packed with the antennas and some other paperwork.

Regards,

Steve
Old 06-14-2007, 06:29 PM

I searched the thread and didn't find an answer.

Question: If I get the Onkyo SR805 receiver, is there any benefit or reason to also get an Oppo or other up-converting DVD player? From my understanding, the Oppo is the best up-converting player out there in the $200 price range, yet it uses DCDi for upconversion and the 805 also uses DCDi upconversion. So either way, the quality is more or less the same, right?

I currently have an Onkyo SP-501 DVD player that does 480P output. I'll be using a 720P projector so I'd like to get the best picture possible to the projector in a single HDMI cable. Should I just keep my 501 and connect it via component to the 805, and have it upconvert to 720P, and in the future 1080p, and output via HDMI?

Can the 805 do this?

Would I benefit by using an Oppo DVD player instead of the 501?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2007, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgribbles View Post

1) You don't by any chance have HDMI Audio Out set to YES do you? If so, set it to NO.

2) Go into the player and set the HDMI out or PCM instead of Auto.

3) You do say you are running a digital connection also out of the A2. What do you have that assigned to?

Sweet everything is working now, i had the 805 hdmi audio out set to yes and it was screwing with the sound, thanks mr gribbles i owe you i would have never found that because i never read manuals i guess i learned my lesson. Tru hd out of my hda2 sounds amazing.

HD-DVD COUNT:141
BLU-RAY:192
X360 GAMERTAG:trickygmoney80
Old 06-14-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace14 View Post

When selecting 720p instead of Auto from the hidden menu for analogue inputs the Onk only outputs 4:3 ratio. HDMI input is unaffected (always 16:9). In Auto, 480i component and s-video in gets to the TV as 480p without disturbing the aspect ratio. Can anyone confirm this happens with their 805 and is it "normal"? The DVD player is perfectly capable of outputting 16:9 why would this be converted to 4:3 just because it's being upscaled to 720p? Doesn't make sense to me. Just to be clear, my TV still switches between 4:3 and 16:9 but that just gives me a slightly different width 4:3 picture. Basically when being a 16:9 input from the CD player the picture comes out as letterboxed 4:3.

I am seeing the same behavior at 720p upconvert of a wide screen 480p xbox 1 game... Is there a fix for this?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:40 PM

I'm playing ice age blu-ray via ps3 with dts-hd lossless but the dts hd don't light up, am I outputting wrong on the ps3. I have it outputting hdmi lpcm and I also tried bitstream and the reciever still wont decode it. What the heck do I do?
Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

I used the included mic for setting up of 674. But when I checked the results with SPL meter at the primary seat, the results were not very accurate. When I setup using SPL meter, I got much better and accurate sound at the primary seat from where I calibrated. Though I may have lost the benefit of expanding the sweet-spot that the 2EQ is supposed to provide.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:55 PM

Anyone notice the screw above the surround right binding posts is a clear plastic screw on the 805. Just wondering about the purpose of that. All the other screws are black metal. It may be just my unit.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post

Anyone notice the screw above the surround right binding posts is a clear plastic screw on the 805. Just wondering about the purpose of that. All the other screws are black metal. It may be just my unit.

i just took a look and mine has a clear plastic screw also. maybe it's holding a board behind it don't want to to short out on the backplane. kind odd.

anyone know if there is a passive pass-thru for hdmi if i don't want to use the rx'r for sound? i just want to feed the tv directly sometimes. looked in the manual but not finding it.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfinn View Post

I am seeing the same behavior at 720p upconvert of a wide screen 480p xbox 1 game... Is there a fix for this?

Same with my Wii. If connected to my Sony XBR 2 directly via component cables and set to 480p and widescreen it is 16:9. When I connnect via component to the 805 and output via HDMI it is 4:3. . .arrrg.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:22 PM

For those of you who have not received their units yet I took pics of the "unpacking process". I ordered from J&R and like some others my "outer box" was crushed on one corner thanks to the folks at UPS no doubt. All three "air bags" were still inflated on the inside though and so far (about 12 hours of use) it's working fine. Others have noted and I will too that the 805 runs HOT. Much hotter than my previous Integra TX-DS838. After it's been on for an hour or so I can't hold my hand to the top of the case for more than a second or two (maybe I'm wimpy ;-)
Old 06-14-2007, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSanford View Post

Just finished three hours reading through this whole thread.
If the above is correct, is there any real advantage to the 875 other than slightly more power (130 is plenty for me)?

Ben

Two words: 1080p and Reon. If the Reon based XA2's SD-DVD up-conversion is anything to go by, the 875 looks very attractive indeed (especially for streaming DVDs over the network) and for converting SD programming / 720p HD.

The question of course is whether Onkyo can do a Toshiba...
Old 06-15-2007, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzxx7 View Post

I'm playing ice age blu-ray via ps3 with dts-hd lossless but the dts hd don't light up, am I outputting wrong on the ps3. I have it outputting hdmi lpcm and I also tried bitstream and the reciever still wont decode it. What the heck do I do?

I had this issue with just getting Dolby Digital 5.1. I needed to go into the PS3 settings and change the audio output settings from automatic to manual, and explicitly set all of the output formats. This fixed my issue - perhaps it will fix yours too.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzxx7 View Post

If your outputting LPCM, thats what the receiver sees. It doesn't know what the original source material is. If your PCM stream(s) are multi channel then I believe "Multi CH" should be lit up.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuchler View Post

I had this issue with just getting Dolby Digital 5.1. I needed to go into the PS3 settings and change the audio output settings from automatic to manual, and explicitly set all of the output formats. This fixed my issue - perhaps it will fix yours too.

That will certainly work for DD 5.1. The PS3 and all other HD players will not pass the bitstream of DD+, THD, DTS HD or DTS HD MA from an HD source at this time.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:29 AM

Is it possible to assign one of the optical inputs to match one of the HDMI inputs? IE I have a DVI->HDMI device with seperate SPDIF audio output...
Old 06-15-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx View Post

saw this too, looked like a rivet in the poor lighting I was using, i didn't see a screwhead...
Old 06-15-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post

Is it possible to assign one of the optical inputs to match one of the HDMI inputs? IE I have a DVI->HDMI device with seperate SPDIF audio output...

yes, I have a bravo d1 with that identical configuration
Old 06-15-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post

edit: apparently the answer is yes but I have no idea how it's done.
----------
No, it's one input (port) mapped to one source. I would have liked to do this for my upconverting DVD (HDMI out for DVD's and SPDIF for CD's since it only outputs upscaled DVD's over the HDMI and I use my DVD player as my CD transport)
Old 06-15-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofoobar View Post

Two words: 1080p and Reon. If the Reon based XA2's SD-DVD up-conversion is anything to go by, the 875 looks very attractive indeed (especially for streaming DVDs over the network) and for converting SD programming / 720p HD.

The question of course is whether Onkyo can do a Toshiba...

also has that 4th hdmi in and it outputs video to zone 2!...definitely a good deal...street date july??
Old 06-15-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by image1 View Post

that the 805 runs HOT. Much hotter than my previous Integra TX-DS838. After it's been on for an hour or so I can't hold my hand to the top of the case for more than a second or two (maybe I'm wimpy ;-)

umm...a design feature ! just like many hard drives/enclosure...that is the heat being drawn away

i used mine for about 4 hours tonight...it's in an 8 inch or so rack space (so there's less than an inch clearance on this monster)...and it really isn't hot at all, only warm ..it's an open rack..
Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari fan View Post

That's he way it works. I learned this from my first DLP tv 3 years ago. You always turn on your tv, monitor, projector first. Then the reciever or BR, HD or dvd player. It's the "handshake" thing.

this may also be a result of whatever model/manufacturer, in my case, Sammy 2nd gen 61" dvi and tosh XA1 kinda behaved like that, but now all works without specific powerup sequences...for example, i could pull the hdmi out (ps3) in mid movie and pull it back in and it's still working...i would think newer devices should behave better, very frustrating for the consumer...
Old 06-15-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeorge999 View Post

umm...a design feature ! just like many hard drives/enclosure...that is the heat being drawn away

I understand heatsinks and thermal disapation, just pointing out that it is much hotter compared to the Integra TX-DS838 that has an internal fan that aids in cooling...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement