Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #61 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
No receiver will convert protected HDMI/HDCP content into component.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am sort of a novice at this - I should have my 805 sometime next week - it will be connected to my Pioneer Elite 1140 and I am using a Directv DVR (their latest one) - it is probably too early (within this thread) to ask this but if someone has a similar setup - I wonder if they could print up in this thread the optimum setup. Also, is it advisable to use banana plugs?

Thanks
post #63 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Who has these in stock? I want to compare to see how much of a difference there is from the 605? I would love to have one by Saturday.

Thanks!
post #64 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
No receiver will convert protected HDMI/HDCP content into component.

So, only component (or less) sources can be switched to my projector (AE700). Its native res is 1280x720. So, it seems to me that a 720p signal is probably optimal anyway. I guess I won't benefit from HDMI switching.

Regarding HD soundtracks from HD DVD and Blu Ray, how are they sent to the receiver (over HDMI or separate digital audio or both)? If I have to switch to a component video source, can I still produce the "best" quality sound?
post #65 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew P View Post

Who has these in stock? I want to compare to see how much of a difference there is from the 605? I would love to have one by Saturday.

Thanks!

Andrew P

I guess you weren't that impressed with the 605! I'm thinking that since they have the same Faroudja chip in them they won't be that different as far as the problems the 605 owners had.
post #66 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerknowledge View Post

So here's the problem:
How, and in what ways, could these stack on top of each other, interfere with each other, cancel each other out, etc.? Ideally, they'd each semi-transparently do their own part. But I fear, say, a doubling of high-end rolloff by combining these, or a sort of "deadening" (if that word makes sense) of the whole soundstage, or one set of EQs EQing another set of EQs, only then to get ReEQed!

Thats a very good question that I had been pondering myself. Are Audyssey MultEQ and THX modes mutually exclusive? I would think that theoretically, the MultEQ processing for room equalization could be done on top of the THX processing, but is there enough DSP power? I think THX defines a preset subwoofer crossover point, does this over ride the Audyssey determined points? What about the THX 7.1 rear channel ASA (Advanced Speaker Array) processing, does MultEQ mess this up?

I know, a lot of questions that probably no one here can answer . . .
post #67 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

I ordered a black 805 from J and R today and they said it should ship tomorrow.
post #68 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have sent in 1080p/60 and 24 without a hitch. I have also sent in 1080i, 720p, 480p, and of course 480i. They all work well.

So this means I don't have to look any further for a receiver to pass through 1080/24p? I'm hoping to hook up my PS3 using 1080/24p. Joerod, please tell me I should go ahead and place my order for the 805.
post #69 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks!

******* also has them in stock. I ordered this morning and it shipped today. It will arrive tomorrow by noon!
post #70 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

.....d now I can't wait! I do plan to get the 905 (I really could use 4 HDMI inputs plus the 2 OUTS will be fun) but if I did not need the extra HDMIs then the 805 would definitely be good enough! .....

joerod;
If I understand you correctly from another post, you seem to loop your signals first through the AVR and then through the VP, rather than the other way around; and this despite your CrystalioII having those 4 inputs and 2 outs.

Can you shed some light to why you chose that signal path?

TIA!
____
Axel

post #71 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoug View Post

Thats a very good question that I had been pondering myself. Are Audyssey MultEQ and THX modes mutually exclusive? I would think that theoretically, the MultEQ processing for room equalization could be done on top of the THX processing, but is there enough DSP power? I think THX defines a preset subwoofer crossover point, does this over ride the Audyssey determined points? What about the THX 7.1 rear channel ASA (Advanced Speaker Array) processing, does MultEQ mess this up?

I know, a lot of questions that probably no one here can answer . . .

This is exactly the kind of discussion that keeps me coming back here. I'm going to attempt to do a thorough review this weekend (as mine should arrive tomorrow) but I can't make any promises.

Most of the discussion up to this point has been regarding the video capabilities (or liability, depending on who you ask). I have accepted that the 805 was not designed to be a video processor. What it can do is process all of the latest audio codecs via HDMI (even if sources to pass those bits aren't available yet).

I have no experience with Audyssey or, THX for that matter. One thing I did notice in the manual (just to invigorate those thought processes) is that the tone controls (according to the manual) are at 20khz and 20hz respectively and adjustable independently for each channel. So, it would appear to me that I could theoretically use this in conjunction with the manual channel EQs, or perhaps even Audyssey. This is very interesting to me because I am a fanatic about having a flat response from 20hz to 20khz. With my Klipschs, as you can imagine, this takes some EQ'ing. BTW, I just reconfigured my stereo rack in anticipation of the 805s arrival. Removed 3 outboard EQs and 2 amps. Shouldn't need'em.

One last thing I checked while I had everything torn down was the dimensions. If you have one of those generic racks with 5 or so glass shelves seen in the likes of BB or CC (like mine), stand by for some squeezing. My rack is 19" deep and the 805 is 18 1/16" deep. Keep in mind you still need room for the cables back there (and more that 7/8"!)

Just my rambling thoughts tonight.
post #72 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emissary52 View Post

Andrew P

I guess you weren't that impressed with the 605! I'm thinking that since they have the same Faroudja chip in them they won't be that different as far as the problems the 605 owners had.

I love the 605 and it fits better in my audio rack, but I feel like I am cheating myself by only using a $500 receiver
post #73 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:

I love the 605 and it fits better in my audio rack, but I feel like I am cheating myself by only using a $500 receiver

Andrew P

A lot of people get by quite well with a $500 receiver. I doubt very much that the cost differential to Onkyo to build a 605 compared to an 805 justifies the retail price difference. Higher models = more status. I read one time that it costs GM about 2K more to build a Cadillac than a Chevy - try offering that difference to a Cadillac dealer. Since I used to live in North Jersey and moved to NC outside Charlotte, with what I save in taxes alone, I could buy several 905's every year! I hope you find yourself in the same situation.
The downside is, for every Best Buy or Circuit City that you'll pass on a highway in NC, you would've passed four in NJ or CT. It seems going shopping down here is a journey. Thank God for the Internet!!
post #74 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emissary52 View Post

Andrew P

A lot of people get by quite well with a $500 receiver. I doubt very much that the cost differential to Onkyo to build a 605 compared to an 805 justifies the retail price difference. Higher models = more status. I read one time that it costs GM about 2K more to build a Cadillac than a Chevy - try offering that difference to a Cadillac dealer. Since I used to live in North Jersey and moved to NC outside Charlotte, with what I save in taxes alone, I could buy several 905's every year! I hope you find yourself in the same situation.
The downside is, for every Best Buy or Circuit City that you'll pass on a highway in NC, you would've passed four in NJ or CT. It seems going shopping down here is a journey. Thank God for the Internet!!

Hmmm, I wonder if I can return my 805 before it's delivered

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #75 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

well, grubavs, if it eases your mind, the 805 has burr-brown DAC's while the 605 does not, so at least in theory, the 805 should sound better, and you get the third HDMI port. those are my reasons for going with the 805 over the 605.
post #76 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisizer View Post

well, grubavs, if it eases your mind, the 805 has burr-brown DAC's while the 605 does not, so at least in theory, the 805 should sound better, and you get the third HDMI port. those are my reasons for going with the 805 over the 605.

Don't forget about the massive power supply, Multi EQ, THX Ultra 2, total audio separation, post processing of PCM, and 20lbs of extra weight that goes along with it .

With that said, both are excellent choices in their prospective price ranges. No one should be embarrassed by owning either one. Period.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #77 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Don't forget about the massive power supply, Multi EQ, THX Ultra 2, total audio separation, post processing of PCM, and 20lbs of extra weight that goes along with it .

With that said, both are excellent choices in their prospective price ranges. No one should be embarrassed by owning either one. Period.

I think anyone who has puchased any Onkyo from the 605 up has made a wise decision. Onkyo seems to be one step ahead of everyone else with this season's model rollout. Enjoy the ride!
post #78 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

Reasons why I bought it.
post #79 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 06:59 PM

Quick question about those of us in the stone age using DVI. I am currently running DVI from my computer to my projector and component from my Moto DVR also to my projector. I would like to use the 805 to do all my video switching.

Am I going to have any problems with sending DVI from the computer, using a DVI2HDMI adapter to the 805 and then sending the hdmi out from the 805 through a hdmi2DVI adapter and then to the projector? Here's a diagram:

Computer (DVI) --->(DVI2hdmi adpt.)-->805-->(hdmi2DVI) --> (DVI) projector

Moto DVR (hdmi) -->805-->(hdmi2DVI) --> (DVI) projector
post #80 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 07:21 PM

Great question!

I will be hooking up to a Projector that does "not" have a HDMI input, but has a DVI input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warehouse View Post

Quick question about those of us in the stone age using DVI. I am currently running DVI from my computer to my projector and component from my Moto DVR also to my projector. I would like to use the 805 to do all my video switching.

Am I going to have any problems with sending DVI from the computer, using a DVI2HDMI adapter to the 805 and then sending the hdmi out from the 805 through a hdmi2DVI adapter and then to the projector? Here's a diagram:

Computer (DVI) --->(DVI2hdmi adpt.)-->805-->(hdmi2DVI) --> (DVI) projector

Moto DVR (hdmi) -->805-->(hdmi2DVI) --> (DVI) projector

post #81 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 07:22 PM

Can someone PM me the J&R price for the 805 with shipping?
post #82 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 07:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisizer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irstevens421 View Post

I truly feel have bought the best receiver I could afford (with a clear conscious) and am not looking back... I was just being a smart-ass

ummm, I meant a clear conscience... sorry

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #83 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanneritekid View Post

Just simply look at their site - the price is right there!
post #84 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 08:09 PM

So wait a second:

I preorder the 805 from JR three weeks ago to get the best price and (for them) to guarantee a sale, and I get charged for shipping.

Now, the day that they're available for general sale (and, I might add, well in stock), any joe off the street not only gets the "exclusive early-bird preorder price", but also free shipping?!?!?!?

I WANT MY $33.69 BACK!!! (For once, I'm NOT kidding...this really has me pissed).

Come, let us kill the spirit of gravity...
-- Friedrich Nietzsche
post #85 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanneritekid View Post

Same Here!
Thanks!
post #86 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerknowledge View Post

So wait a second:

I preorder the 805 from JR three weeks ago to get the best price and (for them) to guarantee a sale, and I get charged for shipping.

Now, the day that they're available for general sale (and, I might add, well in stock), any joe off the street not only gets the "exclusive early-bird preorder price", but also free shipping?!?!?!?

I WANT MY $33.69 BACK!!! (For once, I'm NOT kidding...this really has me pissed).

Yeah, that's not cool. I ordered yesterday and also didn't get the free shipping offer. I posted more in detail in the other thread but ordering from JR hasn't been the best experience.
post #87 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 08:53 PM
vvv

A question about the display and LEDs....What color are the displays on the black or silver Onkyos? The pictures of the silver receivers seem to have a yellow display vs. the black receivers seem to have a green display. Is this true?

Also does the 805 have a blue LED around the volume knob?
post #88 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

Crucial question. Can you confirm whether or not the 805 has the "hum" problem that plagues the 804, as set forth in this thread:

...snip...

It has a totally different internal design from the 804.

E
post #89 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Hello, I just got in from a looooong day of working... I will answer one question before I go back downstairs to my theater. I loop only HD DVD and Blu ray thru the 805 first because of the AUDIO signal. My VP does not detect them and then pass them on. So I use the AVR for my next gen discs mainly. I also can hook up a HD DVR or my ELITE as well. My other sources (including my main DirecTV HR20-BLACK) go directly to my crystalio II. And yes I will adopt anyone who is interested!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #90 of 22916 Old 06-06-2007, 09:41 PM

Hi,

What about the hidden menu (you need to press Power and AUX simultaneously on the 605 to access it) ?

Thanks,

Richard.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page